Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
In this industry an appraisal is typically worthless, unfortunately. Too many jewelers & appraisers write them with the goal of overselling a piece so the numbers bear little relation to the real world value. Sad but true.

If you could send a copy of the appraisal I'd be happy to give you the actual value you could expect in a sale, and maybe some suggestions as to who the best buyers would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct
Jul 19, 2007

JohnnyRnR posted:

In this industry an appraisal is typically worthless, unfortunately. Too many jewelers & appraisers write them with the goal of overselling a piece so the numbers bear little relation to the real world value. Sad but true.

If you could send a copy of the appraisal I'd be happy to give you the actual value you could expect in a sale, and maybe some suggestions as to who the best buyers would be.

Pretty much what I figured, thanks :)

I sent you an email with the appraisal to the sa-goons@... email address you posted earlier in the thread.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Is it weird to bring a loupe to a jewelry store?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

INTJ Mastermind posted:

More than once I've had a jeweler offer me his out of the blue. To be honest, if I asked to look at something under magnification and they said no, I'd politely leave and never go back.

JohnnyRnR: you have a 1.95 carat tanzanite listed and a 2.32 carat tanzanite listed for almost 10x the price. To my eye, they're both gorgeous, and I certainly don't doubt that you know what the right price is, but none the less it makes me curious, why is the price difference what it is? I imagine it's the color?

Also, if you happen to have any fancy / unusual amethyst you'd like to show off, I have PMs (but I might need to save up for a little while, depending)

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
A brief derail away from gemstones, if you'll permit me: What are the best methods of darkening or artificially tarnishing sterling silver?

My favorite piece of jewelry is a fairly minimalist blackened ring (this one) but as you'd expect while the casting is unchanging the tint rubs off over time due to water and wear. I was going to muck around with doing a homestyle application but the internet is awash with suggestions of different compounds and I don't know what procedure professionals actually use to make it lasting or only apply to specific parts of the metal in specific degrees.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 15, 2011

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker

tirinal posted:

A brief derail away from gemstones, if you'll permit me: What are the best methods of darkening or artificially tarnishing sterling silver?

Liver of Sulfer.

Here's a pretty good explanation of how to use it.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Not at all. It's a great thing to do, and it'll get you a little respect.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

JohnnyRnR: you have a 1.95 carat tanzanite listed and a 2.32 carat tanzanite listed for almost 10x the price. To my eye, they're both gorgeous, and I certainly don't doubt that you know what the right price is, but none the less it makes me curious, why is the price difference what it is? I imagine it's the color?

Two things: The color and the material. The 1.95 is a great gem with nice even color. The "crystal" is very good, but not perfect. From the photo you can see a lighter colored space in the middle. That's called a "window" and it's a sign that light is escaping through the underside of the gem.

The 2.32 trillion is different beast. It's a top gem piece of Tanzanite in the best color, excellent transparent material, and it is cut extremely well. This stone has no window which makes the color deeper and the stone appear brighter.

tirinal posted:

Funny story, but some jewelers actually use BBQ grill spray paint. Spray it on, and polish it off the high areas. Generally they'll spray it on, let it dry, and then hit it with a high speed buffing wheel. (A dremel would work)

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I have a question about the industry side of things.

I hear that a lot of jewelry designers use CAD in their designs, how does one go about getting a job doing this? Does it require special gem/jewelry making knowledge or does the jeweler just draw a picture and go "here, make this on the computer"?

I'm about to graduate with a design degree and doing that sort of stuff seems like something I'd enjoy doing, but I haven't the first clue about how to get into that field.

Baja
Mar 15, 2005
I have a question that's part jewelery, part geology, I think. Basically, what I want to do is make a ring from scratch, by going to various sites and panning gold, hunting for gems, etc. What is the likelihood that a jeweler would be able to turn flakes, etc into stuff that could actually be used to make a ring? I also assume it would take quite a while to get the volume of materials necessary, but that it is possible. So I guess my question is...is it possible? And how much would something like that cost if, say, I wanted to turn those flakes into a custom designed ring?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

JohnnyRnR posted:

Two things: The color and the material. The 1.95 is a great gem with nice even color. The "crystal" is very good, but not perfect. From the photo you can see a lighter colored space in the middle. That's called a "window" and it's a sign that light is escaping through the underside of the gem.

The 2.32 trillion is different beast. It's a top gem piece of Tanzanite in the best color, excellent transparent material, and it is cut extremely well. This stone has no window which makes the color deeper and the stone appear brighter.

Very neat, thanks for the info!

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
Hi Guys,

I have an engagement ring that I need to get rid of - I don't know the history / cost of the ring itself, but I do have the GIA cert for the diamond itself:

0.37 Carat
Clarity: VS1
Color: E
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Flur: Faint

Proportions:
Depth: 63%
Table: 57%
Girdle: Medium

And I believe the ring is platinum, but I don't know how much it weighs or anything.

My questions are:

Should I sell them separately? Or will the stone get damaged extracting it?

If separate, how much should I expect for the diamond? How much together? To buy an equivalent stone form Blue Nile I'd be looking at £650 + 20% VAT. Would I get anything close to that?

I have a friend who is going to give me a price on the Platinum and can give me the full info on it, but they're not overly interested in diamonds.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
Another but related question - a friend can get access to legit, but non certified diamonds through trade. Now, everything I've read says that I really should get certified diamonds (And I do class it as important) but the savings are absolutely huge.

So, should I trust them? (I trust my friend completely, but he's not a diamond expert either)

Would it be reasonable / feasible to buy a diamond on the understanding it is what they say, and get it certified myself - and agree that if it's less they either adjust the price or refund me?

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

hermand posted:

So, should I trust them? (I trust my friend completely, but he's not a diamond expert either)

Would it be reasonable / feasible to buy a diamond on the understanding it is what they say, and get it certified myself - and agree that if it's less they either adjust the price or refund me?

A "certified diamond" can mean two things: 1) A diamond with a laboratory report, 2) A rough diamond with a Kimberley Process certificate. The opposite of #1 is traded day to day by professionals, and the opposite of #2 is illegal in the USA.

Diamonds without lab reports are often offered at screaming deals to consumers.... because they're significantly overgraded. Unless you have the wherewithal to identify an SI1 from an I1, or an L color from an I, then I would encourage you to pass.

It sounds like your friend is in stage one of a classic con. In the best case scenario he'll make a deal and get some genuine diamonds. He'll sell them for a small profit, but any future transactions he enters into will be fraudulent. I am offered half a dozen transactions like this a week (Some for tens of millions of dollars), and I always politely refuse.

There's an old saying of "you can't con an honest man," and I've found it very true. Most people lose their money when trying to save money.

Sangori
Sep 6, 2010
I am an Etsy-aholic. I searched "feather ring" and found lots of very similar variations at all price points.

Looksy!

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Baja posted:

What is the likelihood that a jeweler would be able to turn flakes, etc into stuff that could actually be used to make a ring? I also assume it would take quite a while to get the volume of materials necessary, but that it is possible. So I guess my question is...is it possible? And how much would something like that cost if, say, I wanted to turn those flakes into a custom designed ring?

It's possible. The gold would need to be refined and alloyed, but any manufacturing jeweler could do that. Costs would be a couple hundred for the alloying & casting & finishing, and then whatever the jeweler charges for their design services.

I'm not sure of the exact alloy ratios, but consider that if the finished ring contained 5 grams of 14k gold then you would need approximately 3 grams of 22k panned gold or nuggets. That's ~$140 worth of gold, and it could take quite a bit of time to find that much.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I have a question about the industry side of things.

I hear that a lot of jewelry designers use CAD in their designs, how does one go about getting a job doing this? Does it require special gem/jewelry making knowledge or does the jeweler just draw a picture and go "here, make this on the computer"?

Jewelry CAD does require you to have an intimate knowledge of what makes a good piece of jewelry. Techniques, structures, and a knowledge of how the materials wear are all important. Most of those successful start out as jewelry designers with CAD just being one tool they use.

A lot of the CAD work is going overseas for very low prices. I'd encourage you to work more towards classic jewelry design, and once you have a good grasp of the basic mechanics of jewelry the transition to CAD will be almost seamless. A couple years of working at a store part-time as a salesman/designer would give you all the knowledge you'll need.

hermand posted:

Hi Guys,

I have an engagement ring that I need to get rid of... If separate, how much should I expect for the diamond? How much together? To buy an equivalent stone form Blue Nile I'd be looking at £650 + 20% VAT. Would I get anything close to that?

I have a friend who is going to give me a price on the Platinum and can give me the full info on it, but they're not overly interested in diamonds.

You'll get much more selling it as a finished piece. Take it in to a jeweler and have it polished up. Then try selling it on craigslist, eBay, or some similar service for £500. I bet you'll sell it.

JohnnyRnR fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 16, 2011

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

JohnnyRnR posted:

:words:

Thanks for your input, Johnny. In the interests of fairness, I should've pointed out that my friend works IT in a company that deals in precious metals and are situated right in the middle of a large cluster of jewellers. So, yeah, I'm confident there's no scam, but I'm also going to say no for the reasons you state.

Do you have any advice on selling the other ring? I took it some jewellers local to me (Though all but one were chains, and not 'proper') and they weren't interested in the diamond at all and would only offer me a little for the metal.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
Look right above you. :)

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

JohnnyRnR posted:

Look right above you. :)

Thanks Johnny :) If I can get £500 I'll be totally chuffed. The best offer I had today was £200, and the others were all <£100.

Very irritating when you think what it would cost to buy.

Baja
Mar 15, 2005

JohnnyRnR posted:

It's possible. The gold would need to be refined and alloyed, but any manufacturing jeweler could do that. Costs would be a couple hundred for the alloying & casting & finishing, and then whatever the jeweler charges for their design services.

I'm not sure of the exact alloy ratios, but consider that if the finished ring contained 5 grams of 14k gold then you would need approximately 3 grams of 22k panned gold or nuggets. That's ~$140 worth of gold, and it could take quite a bit of time to find that much.

Thanks a bunch! This is pretty much exactly what I wanted to know.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
Hi guys - assuming the winner pays up, I'm now in a position to buy a loose Diamond for my girlfriend (Soon to be hopefully fiancée).

I have two quick questions. Firstly, in real life, would a 'normal' person tell the difference between, say, E & H? I don't mean side my side.

Secondly, is the Blue Nile Signature stuff worth it? I want to say no, but I can't help but be drawn by the shiny.

Here's a Signature Diamond:

http://www.bluenile.co.uk/diamond-search?pt=sig&filter_id=0#diamonds_pid=LD02236762

vs.

http://www.bluenile.co.uk/diamond-search?track=head#diamonds_pid=LD02358926

Thing is, I don't think there's any noticeable difference between 0.41 and 0.46ct, but maybe it is worth going slightly larger?

I've got an absolute max of £700 budget + VAT (And this really is the most I can physical spend) if anyone would care to chime in.

Hoping to get it in before Christmas, but we'll see.

Thanks all!

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
Nope, a normal person couldn't tell the difference between E to H unless the lighting was perfect. Diamond graders don't grade stones from the top, they grade them from the side with the tables down. A J color diamond can easily appear as an F if cut properly and set with skill.

Either of those diamonds would be A-OK. Don't put too much stock in Bluenile's cut marketing. They tend to blend their cut classes using words like "Ideal" for stones that are generally called "Very Good," etc.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
That's perfect, thanks. Looks like I'm buying my first ever diamond tomorrow! Hoping for a Christmas engagement, but that's obviously reliant on the post!

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
Ordered! Went for the Signature as I could still get that before Christmas and I can always swap it if we decide it's not worth it. Ignoring the signature thing it still looks a good diamond, though!

Thanks Johnny :)

hermand fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 21, 2011

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
Thanks for the thread, I read the OP and found it very interesting.

I'm getting jewelry for my GF for christmas, and while I wish I could nerd-out on it and become an expert I (obviously) don't have time.
Where can I look to buy a $100-200 aquamarine necklace or earrings?
I'd like to buy from Amazon, so I can use Prime for fast shipping
http://www.amazon.com/March-Birthstone-Jewelry/b?ie=UTF8&node=256514011
Is it possible to get a good deal at the above page? Names I should look for?

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
Just a word of warning, most of the nicer looking aquamarines there are actually synthetic. Amazon has no qualms mixing low quality natural gems with "created" gemstones when returning search results. Personally, I consider it a questionable practice that's used to willfully confuse consumers.

But most of that gear looks cheaply made. Sorry. :-\ If I remember correctly Amazon charges a 30% commission to anyone that wants to sell jewelry on the site. So nice items wind up being overpriced and reasonably priced items wind up being low quality

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
Bummer :/
Any ideas on reputable online sites that would fit the bill, and don't have really slow shipping?

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
Could really use any advice on the above ^
Is it worth going custom in that price range? If not, a few US stores I could look at with aquamarine jewelry and good prices?

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

If someone who buys jewelry on a more regular basis pops up to help I'd go with their advice, but if you're still aiming to find something in that range you might try Etsy? Johnny's previous caveat is worth noting:

JohnnyRnR posted:

Etsy can be a blessing and a curse. On one hand you have true hobbyists that make and sell jewelry for fun. Their quality is high and their prices can be well below the cost of buying from anyone that has to make a profit to stay in business.

But on the other hand you also have overseas factories busting out junk with fraudulent descriptions. You really have to be careful.

So with that in mind and no actual knowledge of how to identify manmade gemstones from photos or anything, here are some at-least-legitimate-looking listings I found in your price range.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/86547050/
http://www.etsy.com/listing/88507871/
http://www.etsy.com/listing/29480587/

Every shop is different but most sellers are willing to upgrade your shipping to a faster option if you pay more.

Good luck, I hope someone who knows more shows up!

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
I think I'm just going to have to go with Amazon to get the fast one-day shipping. Anyone have advice on which brands on there are at least better than others?

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Unfortunately, I did not see this thread before I bought my fiance's engagement ring, but I was wondering if anyone could give me a rundown on how much I got taken for on my ring purchase. I visited about nine different stores and ended up getting a price about 40-50% better than what I saw in stores. I made the purchase from Blue Nile. Ultimately, I was happy with the purchase and size, but if anyone has some honest information about the quality of my purchase, I would definitely appreciate it.

Very Good-cut, H-color, SI2-clarity, Round, 0.73-carat Diamond
Sweetheart Solitaire Engagement Ring in 18k White Gold
Cost: 2600.00

Personally, I would have enjoyed getting a better clarity and color. The carat size was fine as far as I was concerned.

Trivial Fursuit
Dec 18, 2009
Hi, I don't really know if this is the right thread for it, but I figured I'd ask anyway if anyone here could do me a favor.

About a month ago, my grandmother passed away and, while sorting through her things, we found a pair of cufflinks that most likely belonged to my grandfather, who passed away before my mother was born, almost fifty years ago.

Now, I'm not looking for an appraisal (wouldn't sell them at any price), but I'd like to know what kind of stones are set in them.

Sorry for the camera phone pictures, I'll probably be able to access a better camera in the next few days if needed. Thanks in advance!

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
At a glance, I'd guess nephrite jade, but I'd need a better picture to make a more sure guess.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
I've been swamped in the last month designing some new pieces. I think I missed a couple of messages from people so I'll have to go back and go through my PM's & emails to my SA address. Sorry about that.

downout posted:

Unfortunately, I did not see this thread before I bought my fiance's engagement ring, but I was wondering if anyone could give me a rundown on how much I got taken for on my ring purchase.

Heh, you can sleep easy. It looks like a fine price.

Trivial Fursuit posted:

...I'd like to know what kind of stones are set in them.

It's dangerous to take a wild guess at a gem from a photo, but I would have to say there are three options and all were common in that time period.

1) A dyed agate - This is my top theory since the white areas have a greenish tint
2) Nephrite Jade, but the color seems a touch off
3) Green marble

Some amazing carved agate jewelry came out of Scotland and Germany during that time period so I think it's a safe guess.

I wear a black agate ring every day.

JohnnyRnR fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 19, 2012

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
I never mentioned in this thread: I ordered a tanzanite for my wife from Johnny a few weeks back. It's absolutely gorgeous, she loves it, and her rock hound father said it's nicer than any of the tanzanites he's bought for his wife, including the ones he hand carried back from Tanzania.

Thanks so much, Johnny!

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Johnny set me up with a beautiful Amethyst pendant and was incredibly helpful even though he was dealing with the Christmas rush.

I've read the thread, though its been a while so forgive me if this has been asked but is there a good guideline for size/cut/clarity and price range we could see? Some rule of thumb as it would be? I understand it is complex, but could you swing us a couple rough estimates and recommendations on minimum qualities and a good baseline diamond to work from?

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
Does anyone know much about star sapphire pricing? I have a loose one I'm looking to sell, but I have no idea really anything about it other than it looks pretty. It's about the size of a pencil eraser or bigger, and milky blue. The star looks pretty good, but not perfect. I don't know if it ever came with any kind of certification, as I got it as a gift when I was about 13 (it was in a ring, but I sold the gold months ago, it was only 10k)

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Johnny, that nephrite fish may be the most attractive piece of jade jewelery I've ever seen.

Prancing Shoes
Jul 8, 2008
Johnny, I just wanted to say that my girlfriend loves the amethyst pendant I got from you last month. It looks great. Her only complaint is the end of the chain that dangles with the little ball on the end tends to get wrapped around the rest of the chain and balls up into a messy clump of necklace. Is there anything she can do to fix this?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

JohnnyRnR posted:

1) A dyed agate - This is my top theory since the white areas have a greenish tint
2) Nephrite Jade, but the color seems a touch off
3) Green marble

You're probably better at identification than I in general, but I'd like to toss in my two cents on your theories:

The banding is irregular, it has a more metamorphic feel to it. The banding in agates is sharper, you don't generally find blobs of colour at the band edges. So, if it's metamorphic, it could still be nephrite or marble at that point. The white bands could be tremolite, but in general in indicates metamorphic foliation when it looks like that. Considering foliated nephrite isn't as strong and in general is less valuable, I'd say there's a decent chance you're looking at cheap nephrite died to look like more expensive nephrite. (It can't be marble because you don't find foliation in marble)

Just a shot in the dark. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Explosions! posted:

Does anyone know much about star sapphire pricing? I have a loose one I'm looking to sell, but I have no idea really anything about it other than it looks pretty. It's about the size of a pencil eraser or bigger, and milky blue. The star looks pretty good, but not perfect. I don't know if it ever came with any kind of certification, as I got it as a gift when I was about 13 (it was in a ring, but I sold the gold months ago, it was only 10k)

It's really hard to guess. Judging from the description it's probably a $25-50 piece unless the star is synthetically added then it's a $5 stone.

You would have gotten more money for the ring as a whole as opposed to selling both pieces separately. I really discourage people from tearing jewelry apart to sell the gold. Once you remove the stones all of the labor has to be done again and that just drives the price paid down.

Colour posted:

Johnny, I just wanted to say that my girlfriend loves the amethyst pendant I got from you last month. It looks great. Her only complaint is the end of the chain that dangles with the little ball on the end tends to get wrapped around the rest of the chain and balls up into a messy clump of necklace. Is there anything she can do to fix this?

The little ball end should just hang down the back of the neck and stay out of the way. But is she sleeping in the necklace? Twisting and turning like that will generally get it tied up in knots (and lead to damage down the road).

• Locked thread