Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShatteredBliss
Feb 25, 2006
Today, I am going to fly.
Just wanted to chime into this thread to say that I've learned a ton, so many thanks to all the smart as poo poo audiophiles here. You're truly my heroes. :patriot:

Anyway, I have a question:

I scored a Technics SL-1210 MK5 for $325 off of craigslist today. It has a Shure SC35C cart on it, which I was going to replace soon anyway. I listened to it when I was at the seller's and it was fine as far as I could tell (their system wasn't that great) but when I fired it up at home, it sounded terrible. Lots of crackle and hiss, like the record was extremely dirty. But it wasn't that.

I know it's not my receiver or my speakers either. So I took the cart off and it appears the stylus is bent and/or generally hosed. I would assume this is the cause of my problems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
The bent cantilever would be cause of the distortion you are experiencing, but these Shure spherical styli are terrible anyway, do yourself a favour and ditch it for something nicer. I had one for a while and the only nice thing I can say for the cart is that there is a 78 stylus available, but I replaced it as quickly as I could after I bought it.

e: Nice score on the 1200, soon you'll wonder how you ever lived with a round plastic disk and elastic band.

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Dec 5, 2011

ShatteredBliss
Feb 25, 2006

Ron Burgundy posted:

The bent cantilever would be cause of the distortion you are experiencing, but these Shure spherical styli are terrible anyway, do yourself a favour and ditch it for something nicer. I had one for a while and the only nice thing I can say for the cart is that there is a 78 stylus available, but I replaced it as quickly as I could after I bought it.

e: Nice score on the 1200, soon you'll wonder how you ever lived with a round plastic disk and elastic band.

Thanks, and yeah, I was going to order a new cartridge online today (probably an M97xE) but now I'm going hunting in local stores since I don't want to wait!

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
The AT95E is a great match for the 1200's tonearm if you can find one of those.

ShatteredBliss
Feb 25, 2006
The local audiophile depot had limited options, but so far I'm very happy with the Grado Blue I ended up getting. This was my first real cartridge surgery and I think I did everything correctly. I mean, I'm listening to Steely Dan's Gaucho right now smiling from ear-to-ear so I'm pleased. :)

Should I be using the shell weight? The turntable manual says yes for any cartridge under 6.5g, and the Grado is 6g. So I put it on. But the Grado instructions say not to put anything between it and the headshell.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Hey.. so the right channel periodically goes out on my marantz 2230 on the phono stage. I'll unplug the right channel out cable, plug it back in and wiggle it, and it will work. Think its the TT, cable, or receiver? If I plug my laptop into aux in sometimes the same right channel is fuzzy unless I wiggle the cable in the laptop and it fixes it.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
If wiggling the cable fixes it, even temporarily, then it's 100% without a doubt the cable.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Dumbledore 64 posted:

If wiggling the cable fixes it, even temporarily, then it's 100% without a doubt the cable.

Weeeell... It could also be the socket that the cable plugs into that needs re-soldering. But start with replacing the cable.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I have a lot of noise in my 2252b. A good cleaning and recapping would fix mine for sure, for the time being if I move the balance knob the sound will come back to both channels

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

The Bandit posted:

I have a lot of noise in my 2252b. A good cleaning and recapping would fix mine for sure, for the time being if I move the balance knob the sound will come back to both channels

Just get some electronics cleaner spray on the relevant pot and turn the balance knob a few times, 9/10 times that fixes it immediately.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I want to throw my turntable through a window. It's a Technics SL-220 that I used to have in my study, connected directly to an old Sony STR-7065A receiver that I found at Goodwill. I decided that I wanted to move it up into my living area, so I bought this Behringer preamp and connected it to my Denon AVR-1910. Now, the sound will just cut out for a second every so often. It doesn't even do it consistently, just whenever it feels like it. I've hooked an iPod up to the preamp and played it without any issues for a while, so I feel like the problem is in the turntable. Does anybody have any ideas?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

The number one problem I've seen with old Marantz receivers is some combo of corroded/dirty pots and the speaker relay. Both can be fixed with some deoxit, but the speaker relay is kind of tricky. You have to take the cover off the relay and get at the contacts with some very fine sandpaper. It's a little tricky, but it made my 2240 perform beautifully afterward.

edit: But yeah, check on the cables first for sure.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

crazyfish posted:

The number one problem I've seen with old Marantz receivers is some combo of corroded/dirty pots and the speaker relay. Both can be fixed with some deoxit, but the speaker relay is kind of tricky. You have to take the cover off the relay and get at the contacts with some very fine sandpaper. It's a little tricky, but it made my 2240 perform beautifully afterward.

edit: But yeah, check on the cables first for sure.

I've never done the deoxit thing, link or explanation for both of those?

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Not an Anthem posted:

I've never done the deoxit thing, link or explanation for both of those?

Deoxit seems like a standard contact cleaner, turn off the receiver, open the lid, spray some cleaner into the pots cleaning hole (or just spray a bunch all over it, it doesn't matter) and turn it back and forth a bunch of times, wait ~10 seconds to allow the cleaner to evaporate before powering up.

I often do this with the unit powered up but be careful since it's highly flammable, it does allow you to instantly hear if it works or not.

E: Your problem sounds more like cables, relay or a bad solder joint somewhere, regardless it doesn't hurt to try this first.

An0
Nov 10, 2006
I enjoy eating After Eights. I also enjoy eating Old El Paso salsa with added Tobasco.
I called up the owner for this ad http://www.leboncoin.fr/image_son/264012568.htm?ca=12_s

300€ for a 10-15 year old SL 1200 MK2.

Age shouldn't really be a concern here right? From what I understand, this model is a tank.

Is it worth putting in 90€ more for a SL-1210 which has not been used very much? (according to the seller).

An0 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 9, 2011

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;
This is a dumb question, but I can't seem to find this information anywhere online.

Every receiver, record player or whatever I have used has always used speakers connected with speaker wire. I'm currently looking at the Audio Technica LP60 and want to pair it with these Sony Bookshelf speakers. Now, I've read that the LP60 has a pre-amp built in, with a switch for line or phono. What I can't find is if these speakers connect with a simple auxiliary cable or if they use speaker wire, and if the LP60 has an input for this? If not, I will need a receiver, correct?

Thanks, and if you have any suggestions on speakers other than these that would be great.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

scotty posted:

This is a dumb question, but I can't seem to find this information anywhere online.

Every receiver, record player or whatever I have used has always used speakers connected with speaker wire. I'm currently looking at the Audio Technica LP60 and want to pair it with these Sony Bookshelf speakers. Now, I've read that the LP60 has a pre-amp built in, with a switch for line or phono. What I can't find is if these speakers connect with a simple auxiliary cable or if they use speaker wire, and if the LP60 has an input for this? If not, I will need a receiver, correct?

Thanks, and if you have any suggestions on speakers other than these that would be great.
You'd need a receiver either way because you can't amplify the signal (volume control) from your turntable with just speakers alone (unless the speakers had a built-in amplifier, which is usually not the case.)

The built-in preamp for that turntable is for modern receivers since most tend to lack a phono input and don't have a preamp for it. But if you're using a receiver that does have a phono input, then you can switch the turntable from line to phono and hook it up that way.

Or you can leave the turntable on line (preamp) and hook it up to an amplifier which hooks up to the speakers, but I haven't dealt with amps before, just receivers.. and I don't have an answer to your speaker wire question, but I'd imagine it uses speaker wire.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you absolutely have no other use for a separate amplifier, just get powered speakers like Genelecs (not trying to push a domestic product here, it's just the only good brand I know).

Oh and as for the connection, you'll probably need cables with RCA on one end and XLR on the other. They should be readily available.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 9, 2011

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What do people mean by 'receiver' anyway? I've seen it used in ways that seem inconsistent. In most languages I know people just talk about amplifiers (which may or may not have a radio receiver built-in).

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Receiver is a just a broad term for a device that receives sound info from something and then outputs sound info. Not all receivers have the same inputs and outputs. Not all receivers have amps. All of us newby people that use the term receiver always assume it has inputs, outputs, and volume controls. Everything else is an unknown variable.

Also, just using the term amplifiers is a pain in the rear end because of car audio equipment. Car audio needs it's own drat separate category apart from electronics on craigslist.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Yea, whenever I think amp I think car or guitar. Receiver, at least in America, is what you use to control the volume of all your inputs/output to speakers.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OK the car audio bit explains a lot of the confusing stuff I've read. (Confusing for me and probably a great many other non-native speakers of English.)

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

An0 posted:

I called up the owner for this ad http://www.leboncoin.fr/image_son/264012568.htm?ca=12_s

300€ for a 10-15 year old SL 1200 MK2.

Age shouldn't really be a concern here right? From what I understand, this model is a tank.

Is it worth putting in 90€ more for a SL-1210 which has not been used very much? (according to the seller).

That particular example seems to be in great shape for a 15 year old unit, but do the regular checks if seeing it in person like platter spindle wobble or rattling in the tonearm bearing. Also see if he doesn't still have the original rubber mat lying around, as they do affect the sound and vertical tracking (which can be adjusted).

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?

Took a picture of my vinyl listening setup. Turntable is a Rega P5 with a Rega Exact cartridge fitted and the upgrade TTPSU sitting above it. Under the turntable is an oak slab with a pointed hexhead bolt at each corner to facilitate leveling this beast. Behind it is a home built copy of a Graham Slee Genera phono preamp and it's 24 volt power supply. From the preamp it goes into the home built AMB Laboritories M3 headphone amp (silver colored case) sitting on top of my black computer case. The amp powers my Sennheiser HD-600 headphones. Record brush and Onzow Zerodust stylus cleaner are sitting on the corner of my dresser in the lower right. Two printers sitting under the desk and way too much speaker wire on the floor.

When I feel like listening through speakers (Polk RTiA3s), I run the phono preamp into the CD or AUX input of the Harman/Kardon HK-4390 stereo receiver sitting beside the turntable. The phono preamp built into the receiver is decent but the Genera sounds so much better. I rarely use the speakers since headphones reveal so much more detail and the bedroom isn't the best place for speakers and proper stands for them.

Edit: Almost forgot. Just got Clutch's Jam Room on orange creamsicle vinyl for an early Christmas present.

Paperweight fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 15, 2011

Funeral Pudding
Jun 20, 2006
My pal the tortoise, fast does he go?
I've always thought of a receiver as an integrated amplifier with a built-in tuner. See: the contrast between Pioneer's SX line of receivers and SA line of integrated amps from the 70s.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
I think they use the term receiver because as you say the correct term is Intergrated amplifier, but most people just say amplifier which refers to something else entirely. Regional language may have a lot to do with it too.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
IIRC it went as such in the seventies:

"Amplifier": Big box with line ins and speaker outs. Makes poo poo loud. Volume knob and speaker switches, that's it.
"Preamp": Smaller box with line and phono ins and speaker outs. Routes signals. Probably EQ and volume/level controls here too.
"Integrated amplifier": Preamp + amplifier in one box.
"Tuner": Radio circuit only. No volume controls. Antenna in, line level out.
"Receiver": Tuner + integrated amplifier.

I think there were a few tuner+preamp boxes too that you still needed an amp for, can't think of any examples though.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I always though receiver to mean something that receives AV signals from devices and outputs it to speakers and the TV. But then I guess the term has been around since before receivers did video...

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
We're really splitting hairs here, but a true amplifier has no control interface, if you're lucky it will have a gain pot.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Not an Anthem posted:

Crap turntable for the price. That's a high price for that table and even at the normal price I'd go for something better.

Are you talking about the Debut III (link was deleted)? What would you recommend "at the normal price?"

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
I was just chatting with the guy that runs Signature Sound up in New York. I bought my Rega P5 earlier this year and the upgrade power supply from him last week. He offers a discount off the retail price of the Rega RB1 turntable. I think it normally lists at $450. It comes standard with the same cartridge as on the Pro-Ject Debut III.

I've been using Rega turntables for the last 6 years. I really like them and the reviews I've seen have always been pretty positive. If I wasn't a middle of the road cheap guy, I'd buy a VPI Scout.

Edit: After building several copies of Graham Slee's Genera phono preamp for myself and friends, I bit the bullet and bought one of his Reflex M phono preamps direct from the man himself in England. It's significantly cheaper to order stuff from him compared to buying it in the US. Signing up for his forums and making a post nets you a 5% discount. Not too shabby for what is probably one of the world's best and most affordable phono preamps.

Paperweight fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 15, 2011

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Are you talking about the Debut III (link was deleted)? What would you recommend "at the normal price?"

It was the 1.2.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
My computer setup:

Luxman 5L15 integrated & Aragon D2A MkII DAC:

Dynaudio DM 2/8

I'm looking for a Luxman 5T10 or 5T50 tuner, but they're impossible to find

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Just removed my 1200's main circuit board in preparation to be sent to the US to K.A.B for the 78 rpm modification. This is going to be sweet.

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
Do you have a phono preamp that will cover most of the equalization curves of that era? They didn't have a set standard until many years later. Speeds were the same way with some at 75-80 but I guess you can adjust that on a Technics.

Oh and don't clean your shellac LPs with alcohol based cleaners. But you probably already know that.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
I've never really found a disc that you can't make listenable by messing with a multi-band equaliser. If i'm feeling really pedantic I can always record them into audacity, undo the RIAA and apply one of the historic EQ patterns. Most of my 78s are from the early 50's and by then the proprietary company EQ curves were gone.

The +/-8% pitch slider on a MkII will give you 72-85rpm

I mostly wash my shellac discs with mild detergent and distilled water, except pulp cored discs of course.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Did old amplifiers really have specific equalizers for phonographs? I mean they didn't have phono pre-amplifiers because you don't need one with a piezoelectric pick-up. I just play my shellac discs with a ceramic cartridge, with the signal fed to a regular line input, am I doing it wrong?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
The oddball EQ stuff is mostly for older, pre-electric, 10s-teens stuff. For most of the things you'll find around just bump up the treble if it sounds unpleasantly like it's playing underwater.

E: Oh yeah, always run a stereo cart in mono mode, either on the receiver or by jumping the terminals. This will cancel out the background noise.

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 17, 2011

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Funeral Pudding posted:

I've always thought of a receiver as an integrated amplifier with a built-in tuner. See: the contrast between Pioneer's SX line of receivers and SA line of integrated amps from the 70s.

Speaking of, guess what one of my contacts handed me for $20 today?

(pardon the terrible lighting and phone camera)

http://imgur.com/HPCJk

Fully working SX-939, all it needs are some bulbs replaced.

E: YOU NEED CONTACTS IN THE DEADLY WORLD OF UNDERGROUND THRIFTING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

^^^:awesomelon:

drat I've got to get over to the Goodwill.