Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Also

quote:

bluhbluhthisisgarbage asked:
What do Heart powers do?

Maybe we’ll find out later??????

For now, let’s say they make you extremely likely to get beaten to death by a rowdy juggalo.

Final proof that Heart is the lamest power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Prison Warden posted:

And, what the hell? The entire kids storyline has only been 24 hours?!

Well, the Reckoning took exactly 24 hours, and John had been in there a while before that started. I think if you cross-reference with the pesterchum timestamps and Dave's meteor countdown it works out to ~31 hours including the Reckoning, so yeah, I'd bet on 31.4 hours total from John entering to the Scratch. Maybe 34.1 hours.

edit: wait, why would Jade have been playing for up to a few weeks? Unless you're suggesting Dave took her timetraveling durin g the frog breeding, but I kind of thought that was just him.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 14, 2011

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

voting third party posted:

His ancestor was able to do that until he overexerted himself anyway. Also I've been wondering if Sollux dies if the other trolls will be able to slow down at all. Hussie pointed out once on his tumblr that everyone who has gone god tier has been killed in one way or another by the green sun. I think it would be very fitting with all the twists that have happened in the story if the trolls just slam into the green sun at full speed.

Yeah, going at max speed was exerting him to death, but considering he navigated interstellar distances, his normal cruising speed was faster than light too. And Sollux was pretty obviously exerting himself when he started piloting the meteor in Descend, unless that was just mustard.

It was the Derse dreamers who died as their dreamselves on their questbed on Derse/Derse's moon that were all killed by Green Sun energy, John was killed by regular old stabbing and Jade was killed by shaving cream. The Green Sun energy might or might not be a necessary component of the alternate method of going God Tier, but it's not the only component. Being your kiss revived dreamself and being on your alternate quest bed are the other components.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

Of all the crazy things we've witnessed in the comic, this is the one thing that breaks my suspension of disbelief.

I've maintained that it was pretty much the same day. The story is so heavy with flashbacks and parallel storylines that once you cut out the excess such as the trolls and just focused on the kids and what they're doing not much time has passed at all.

Look at John, who's been in the game the longest. You had John enter the Medium, fight a few imps and giants, get hassled by Terezi who gave him a rocket pack that he used to go to Rose's planet, teleport from there to the ectobiology lab in the outer ring, clone up some goddamn babies, go back to his planet, get bugged by Vriska, screw around on his planet a little more, die then go to Skaia and meet Rose then get yelled at by Karkat to zoom off to make the Scratch happen.

It's a packed schedule to be sure, and he even managed a lasagna meal and a couple short naps, but he could probably do it in a day.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Renaissance Robot posted:

Final proof that Heart is the lamest power.

It was true on Captain Planet and remains true now

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Somebody get me a fanart of Gamzee clubbing Ma-Ti to death, stat!

Mazerunner posted:

edit: wait, why would Jade have been playing for up to a few weeks? Unless you're suggesting Dave took her timetraveling durin g the frog breeding, but I kind of thought that was just him.

That's exactly what I was suggesting, yes. It's based on little more than the idea that Jade personally went frog hunting with Dave rather than having him independently retrieve the frogs for her while she mostly stayed at the breeding station.

Even if she was being perfectly linear in person as well as conversationally, it doesn't actually matter because the point is 20-30 hours is actually a pretty long time to get poo poo done in and Mr Pumroy said it better.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Andrew's current forecast is for Act 6 to be almost as long as Act 5? Here's to 5 more years of Homestuck! :dance:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Somebody get me a fanart of Gamzee clubbing Ma-Ti to death, stat!

That's exactly what I was suggesting, yes. It's based on little more than the idea that Jade personally went frog hunting with Dave rather than having him independently retrieve the frogs for her while she mostly stayed at the breeding station.

Even if she was being perfectly linear in person as well as conversationally, it doesn't actually matter because the point is 20-30 hours is actually a pretty long time to get poo poo done in and Mr Pumroy said it better.

Yeah, you're right that it doesn't matter if Jade was around for a week or just a day in terms of getting poo poo done. It's more of a character thing? Like there's dozens of Daves running around making sure everything runs smooth for the other kids, so having there be dozens of Jades too kind of cheapens that I guess. In either case it's totally inconsequential and irrelevant at this point so

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Wouldn't Jade time traveling all over the place have made her password system almost impossible?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Gabriel Pope posted:

Andrew's current forecast is for Act 6 to be almost as long as Act 5? Here's to 5 more years of Homestuck! :dance:

Hahahah, yeah. He kinda consistently underestimates how long it will actually take. There's pretty much no way Act 6 is going to be shorter than Act 5 now.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

King of Solomon posted:

Hahahah, yeah. He kinda consistently underestimates how long it will actually take. There's pretty much no way Act 6 is going to be shorter than Act 5 now.

What are you talking about? Homestuck finished on 4/13/2010 and we've been enjoying Jail Break 2 the last year and a half.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I know I'm late to the party, but did anyone else instantly buy a calendar after quickly double-checking that there was no troll crossdressing this time?

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
I hadn't read MSPA in a few months and did a huge catch up (Holy poo poo, Cascade) so I may have missed this, but how do we know that R??? Lalonde and D??? Strider are new universe versions of Mom and Bro?

SexyBrianPuppet
Oct 5, 2010

remember, you are talking to the pranking MASTER.

Zeeman posted:

I hadn't read MSPA in a few months and did a huge catch up (Holy poo poo, Cascade) so I may have missed this, but how do we know that R??? Lalonde and D??? Strider are new universe versions of Mom and Bro?

They look exactly like them, and Mom and Bro were both paradox clones like Jane, Jake, and the original kids.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Wandering Knitter posted:

I know I'm late to the party, but did anyone else instantly buy a calendar after quickly double-checking that there was no troll crossdressing this time?

No, but there are specific things I'm waiting on, otherwise I absolutely would.

Zeeman posted:

but how do we know that R??? Lalonde and D??? Strider are new universe versions of Mom and Bro?
The scratch replaces the players from the pre-Scratch session with their ectobiological guardians (which is why John was replaced by Nanna instead of Dad.)

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Zeeman posted:

Well, if nothing else, the hairstyles, alcoholism and possibly-ironic-possibly-not mindgames kind of give it away.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

King of Solomon posted:

The scratch replaces the players from the pre-Scratch session with their ectobiological guardians (which is why John was replaced by Nanna instead of Dad.)

Ah OK, I think the continued presence of Dad was what was confusing me here, I'd forgotten that he wasn't a paradox clone

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Specifically though, we know that a scratch switches paradox clone groups because Doc Scratch explicitly stated that it does when he was rambling about Troll Ancestors; the Ancestors were the original Sgrub players who scratched their session, leading to the Trolls we know being the players.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Do we know exactly where Dad came from? I find it oddly suspect that both John and Jane, if allowed to grow to adulthood uninterrupted, would end up having the EXACT SAME CHILD by conventional means.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Dad is adopted. Problem solved.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dad is a universal constant.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

loquacius posted:

Do we know exactly where Dad came from? I find it oddly suspect that both John and Jane, if allowed to grow to adulthood uninterrupted, would end up having the EXACT SAME CHILD by conventional means.

We know very little about Dad. I don't think it was ever explicitly said that he was born by normal means - Nannasprite does refer to him as her son, but of course we can't necessarily rely on that being meant literally.

Note, though, that in this conversation we learn that Nanna was supposedly "betrothed to a fine, upstanding gentleman" of unknown identity; presumably Dad's father, if Dad is indeed her regular human-style son. But there is no indication of who that is: Dad keeps around his mother's ashes and portrait, but nothing at all to tell us what his father - biological or adoptive - might have been like. If my memory does not trick me, he's never seen or even mentioned except in this one serious businesslog. And Nanna does not seem bitter about him or anything, which doesn't do much to support the idea that his wife and son simply cut him out of their lives... it just doesn't seem to add up.

We haven't seen that much of the post-scratch setup yet, but it appears that there, too, only one of his putative parents is in evidence. Nothing to suggest that Jane ever had a grandmother. (Or a mother, but we know the reason for that.)

Perhaps in the beginning the real reason for all this was that going into too much detail regarding the kids' family situations would have cluttered the story unbearably - although I believe AH has said that the ectobiology thing was planned from pretty early on - but nevertheless ~The Mystery of Dad~ is a major opening for weird plot poo poo to squeeze in through, and I don't think the situation is being mirrored for no reason now.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Here's what I think about Nanna's husband: he's still alive, and likely lives either in a home or on his own, something like that. If you look at it from that perspective, then his lack of mention mostly comes from his lack of relevance.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I figured that they both went out frog-hunting, but that Dave was the only one who would fade out for cheating time shenanigans moments whenever they got to the right spots that needed time-based frog extraction. We haven't actually seen any proof in the comic that Time players can actually bring along guests through time.

Also, if you factor in Rose getting extra time by merging with her beta universe self, then Jade already gets an extra thirteen years by merging with her dead dreamself.

Factory Factory posted:

Dad is adopted. Problem solved.

I'm not sure why, but I kind of like this theory now.

Edit: ^^^ Also I agree that Nanna's supposed husband isn't shown because he probably just wasn't relevant. (Also maybe they adopted.)

Wandering Knitter posted:

On top of that, I think the calender is actually cheaper than last year, and has even cooler art this time around, including a few that were already art prints, which means it's pretty much a built-in discount. Motherfucking C.R.U.N.K, man.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I wasn't following Homestuck or anything at the time, so what was the horrifying 2011 calendar drawing all about?

e: VV JESUS CHRIST WHY :cry:

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 14, 2011

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

YF-23 posted:

I wasn't following Homestuck or anything at the time, so what was the horrifying 2011 calendar drawing all about?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

YF-23 posted:

:nms:This:nms: was the March drawing.

fake edit: yes, I think the :nms: tags are totally necessary.

real edit: /\/\/\/\/\ That is a much less terrifying way of putting it.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Well Manicured Man posted:

No March discussion is complete without this

(I think Pigbuster drew this? Correct me if I'm wrong)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

:nms:

Holy gently caress, who drew that, who thought drawing that would be a good idea and who thought putting that in a calendar would be also a smart thing to do.

I'm terrified now.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Dias posted:

Holy gently caress, who drew that, who thought drawing that would be a good idea and who thought putting that in a calendar would be also a smart thing to do.

I'm terrified now.

AbortedSlunk drew that, famous for their mushy potato faces. Also drew a weird wallpaper involving Bro and Kanaya that a couple posters have an avatar of.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Man I had forgotten how bad it really was.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

creationist believer posted:

No March discussion is complete without this

(I think Pigbuster drew this? Correct me if I'm wrong)
I have developed a much greater appreciation for Kelly political cartoons these days as compared to when I first saw this, so this thing is priceless, especially the crying Mother Grub.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dias posted:

Let Me Tell You About Homestuck Fans

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Chunky12345 posted:

AbortedSlunk drew that, famous for their mushy potato faces.

I think that, ironically enough, Eridan's face is the only one that actually looks decent.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You know where Dad's from? He's a meteor kid from an independent, failed, three-man session. He gave his copy of Sburb to John, because John's was lost in the mail.

The other players? Fedorafreak and Bro Strider.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

One curious thing about Dad is that he bears quite the resemblence to Colonel Sassacre.

Coincidence? Maybe. Who knows?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Eridan is the least terrifying part of this.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Jade's face is what always gets me in that picture.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
This is the other famed image by that artist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

flatluigi posted:

This is the other famed image by that artist

I was watching the art team thread when this was first suggested as a wallpaper. I couldn't imagine it not being awesome.

:smith: