Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I got a pretty good deal today...

An obvious pricing mistake at FYE, but that's how it rang up and the clerk either didn't know or didn't care, so merry christmas to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Daveski posted:

I got a pretty good deal today...

An obvious pricing mistake at FYE, but that's how it rang up and the clerk either didn't know or didn't care, so merry christmas to me!

AHahahahah what the gently caress? That's fantastic! Good find!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I think I'm gonna print out some of those red/white blank 'On Sale' tags and go hog wild.

VVV STOP CRUSHING MY DREAMS

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Dec 10, 2011

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I think I'm gonna print out some of those red/white blank 'On Sale' tags and go hog wild.

Well I think the $12.97 is what makes it work

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Tree Of Life is down to $14.99 on Amazon (+ it comes with a free Amazon VOD rental of it)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005HV6Y5W

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Sorry for the double post but I think this is worth it.

The Dark Knight & The Neverending Story are each $5.49 on Amazon.

-------

Battle Royale is getting a US release from Starz/Anchor Bay on March 20.

Two versions. A standard release and "The Complete Collection". No details on what that means but I imagine that the complete collection is going to be like the UK release and the standard release will be only the movie and some extras.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Sporadic posted:

Two versions. A standard release and "The Complete Collection". No details on what that means but I imagine that the complete collection is going to be like the UK release and the standard release will be only the movie and some extras.

How about they get to work on bringing Fukasaku's other cult classic 'Black Lizard' to blu-ray.

This will sadly never, ever happen.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Sporadic posted:

This is awesome news. I looked up Blu-ray releases for this not too long ago and all that I found was a limited edition import that sells for way too much. I'm glad I can finally update my Korean DVD with the not so good subtitles.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

CPL593H posted:

This is awesome news. I looked up Blu-ray releases for this not too long ago and all that I found was a limited edition import that sells for way too much. I'm glad I can finally update my Korean DVD with the not so good subtitles.

The UK release is amazing, region-free and fairly cheap.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

WickedIcon posted:

The UK release is amazing, region-free and fairly cheap.

I thought it sold out and that the SD bonus features were PAL?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Citizen Kane Blu-Ray with The Magnificent Ambersons DVD finally dropped in price (and this is the first time it dropped below $50)

$32.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B001PIHH5M

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 14, 2011

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I'm wondering if someone can tell me if there's any difference between the BSG complete series set and just buying the individual seasons on blu-ray. Right now the price difference is pretty significant on Amazon (around $86 for individual seasons excluding The Plan vs $129 for the box set) and I'm thinking of picking them up.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
There is no difference. And The Plan is terrible anyway.

e: Also The Plan is actually included in the Complete Set.

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 15, 2011

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

But some of the webisodes aren't, am I right with that?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Quantum of Phallus posted:

But some of the webisodes aren't, am I right with that?

I think you are correct - the season 3 set has "The Resistance" webisodes but the ones from season 4 are not on the individual releases.

Also, The Plan is loving terrible and a complete waste of time.

shao kong
Nov 6, 2002
As long as he's not buying the box set he might as well just save himself the time and money and skip Season 4 too.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

There is no difference. And The Plan is terrible anyway.

e: Also The Plan is actually included in the Complete Set.

The Plan is indeed loving awful which is why I excluded it from my calculations. I don't want to own that piece of poo poo.

So basically buying the seasons individually will slash the price by 1/3. Thanks. Gonna order now.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Daveski posted:

I think you are correct - the season 3 set has "The Resistance" webisodes but the ones from season 4 are not on the individual releases.

Also, The Plan is loving terrible and a complete waste of time.

The only good thing about The Plan is it created the awesome zoom on the cock story.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I stopped into a HMV today and saw the Keno Metropolis but... they had two versions. The original and the Moroder version, I thought these were included in the same set?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Vintersorg posted:

I stopped into a HMV today and saw the Keno Metropolis but... they had two versions. The original and the Moroder version, I thought these were included in the same set?

No, the Moroder version just came out. The original release is just the Complete Metropolis that was shown in Germany.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Vintersorg posted:

The virtually complete cut came out about 6 months before Morder's version

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Moroder cut is also on Netflix Instant in full 1080p. It's worth a view if you're curious to see the film prior to the massive digital restoration. The photographic quality is often the same and the transfer is excellent.

I watched Kino's Seven Chances today. The opening scene is from a heavily damaged Technicolor print, but most of it is from a gorgeous original nitrate positive. It almost looks like a new movie. Plus, they included the Three Stooges short Brideless Groom in HD as an extra.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

etalian posted:

The only good thing about The Plan is it created the awesome zoom on the cock story.

Welp, I made the mistake of googling "zoom on the cock", I guess I should have thought that through.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

etalian posted:

Can I get an explanation for this? I don't want to google "zoom on the cock."

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Skwirl posted:

Can I get an explanation for this? I don't want to google "zoom on the cock."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WA5c4QHZLU

Video is SFW, audio probably not.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My first Criterion came today, Dazed and Confused, and I'm in love before it's even hit my player.

With the BD releases, are there many cases where they're likely to go out of print, and if so is it easy to find a list? I order through PlanetAxel to the UK (arrived in <4 days in the middle of December!) so probably can't buy many as I don't think anywhere that does the 50% sales ships here. I have my eye on America Lost and Found and the Three Colors trilogy, neither of which I'm hoping are going to go OOP any time soon.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

The pHo posted:

My first Criterion came today, Dazed and Confused, and I'm in love before it's even hit my player.

With the BD releases, are there many cases where they're likely to go out of print, and if so is it easy to find a list? I order through PlanetAxel to the UK (arrived in <4 days in the middle of December!) so probably can't buy many as I don't think anywhere that does the 50% sales ships here. I have my eye on America Lost and Found and the Three Colors trilogy, neither of which I'm hoping are going to go OOP any time soon.

The only OOP Criterion Blu-Rays, so far, are due to Criterion losing the rights. They always announce it ahead of time.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

On this topic, I actually got my first one a few weeks ago: Seven Samurai. Same case, in love with the case, the cover, and even the little booklet inside before I have even played the movie! (Though I have seen Seven Samurai before)

Any other good ones like that? That is, with a full on cardboard case or has lots of physical supplements (I love reading and watching the movie at the same time)

I was thinking of making my next one Cronos as I love del Toro and I've never seen this film.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Ineffiable posted:

On this topic, I actually got my first one a few weeks ago: Seven Samurai. Same case, in love with the case, the cover, and even the little booklet inside before I have even played the movie! (Though I have seen Seven Samurai before)

Any other good ones like that? That is, with a full on cardboard case or has lots of physical supplements (I love reading and watching the movie at the same time)

I was thinking of making my next one Cronos as I love del Toro and I've never seen this film.

Vampyr, The Furies, Burden of Dreams, Mr. Arkadin.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sporadic posted:

The only OOP Criterion Blu-Rays, so far, are due to Criterion losing the rights. They always announce it ahead of time.

I would fully expect the remaining StudioCanal titles to end up OOP... Army of Shadows, Last Year at Marienbad, Le Cercle Rouge, and Leon Morin, Priest.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ineffiable posted:

Night Of The Hunter. Big cardboard case, 30 page booklet, and disc two has a 2 1/2 hour documentary made up out of outtakes/behind-the-scenes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

penismightier posted:

Vampyr, The Furies, Burden of Dreams, Mr. Arkadin.

Adding to this, and Night of the Hunter, get Breathless, and Bicycle Theives.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Breathless? poo poo I gotta get this, Jean-Luc and I've never seen it.

Anyone have this? What's in it as far as physical stuff goes?

I think after Christmas It's a tie between Night of the Hunter and Breathless.

Possibly Vampyr.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Ineffiable posted:

Breathless? poo poo I gotta get this, Jean-Luc and I've never seen it.

Anyone have this? What's in it as far as physical stuff goes?

I think after Christmas It's a tie between Night of the Hunter and Breathless.

Possibly Vampyr.
Just buy all of them and save yourself the ensuing agony that all of us face when it comes to picking Criterions (especially during sales).

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Cacator posted:

Just buy all of them and save yourself the ensuing agony that all of us face when it comes to picking Criterions (especially during sales).

Exactly. You're like a kid in a candy store walking into Barnes & Noble come the 50% off sale they have twice a year.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does anyone know if there are any features exclusive to the complete Star Wars blu-ray set? I kind of want to get the original movies if the price drops to the $30-range, but if there's any decent documentary stuff exclusive to the set of all six I'll wait for the price on that one to drop.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jack Gladney posted:

Does anyone know if there are any features exclusive to the complete Star Wars blu-ray set? I kind of want to get the original movies if the price drops to the $30-range, but if there's any decent documentary stuff exclusive to the set of all six I'll wait for the price on that one to drop.

NOOOOOOOOOOO

As far as I can tell, the Original movies set is missing bonus disc 2 & 3 from complete boxset.

You can see the contents here.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-Wars-Blu-ray/14903/#Review

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Jack Gladney posted:

It includes hacked up ruined versions of the original classics* and some deleted scenes.

*Yes I'm still bitter.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

CPL593H posted:

*Yes I'm still bitter.
You should be. Only when the world stops giving George Lucas money will he stop being such a big jerk :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The preorder for the Criterion release of Letter Never Sent is up at Amazon. $20.99 - normally Criterion's preorders are $27.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B006ML50S8

• Locked thread