Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Archenteron posted:

I don't remember if this is a Start of Darkness spoiler or not, so I'm spoilering it to be safe: Redcloak's Ritual isn't supposed to control the Snarl to give its (mortal) holders world domination, it's supposed to let The Dark One, God of the Goblins, unmake the world again and use the Snarl as a bargaining chip against the other Gods so that the next world is actually fair to goblinkind Unspoiled version: It's not quite that simple, as entertaining as it may be.

Not quite. Plan A is to control the Snarl. What you spoiled is the Plan B which explains why Redcloak is completely unafraid of failure.

e: also Plan A is for the Dark One to use the Snarl to make sure the current world is equal. Plan B comes into effect if the ritual fails in which case The Dark One gets a say in the making of the new world. Remember that the Goblin God wasn't one of the original gods who made the world, which is why it sucks for goblinkind.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hypocrisy posted:

Tarquin is going to die trying to use the Gates and his scheme will collapse. In a few years, there will only be a handful of people who remember him.

Nale, you were smart enough to focus on your sorcerer levels but not smart enough to max out your concentration score?

Sorcerers get so few skill points that, even for a high Intelligence build like Nale's, it's hard to do everything. And we already know he took his Bluff through the roof, so it wouldn't surprise me that he let his Concentration slack a bit.

Besides, he's an ego-maniacal super-genius. Why should he need Concentration? His minions should be in front of him to keep him from getting hit in the first place!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Not quite. Plan A is to control the Snarl. What you spoiled is the Plan B which explains why Redcloak is completely unafraid of failure.

e: also Plan A is for the Dark One to use the Snarl to make sure the current world is equal. Plan B comes into effect if the ritual fails in which case The Dark One gets a say in the making of the new world. Remember that the Goblin God wasn't one of the original gods who made the world, which is why it sucks for goblinkind.

Technically....the plan isn't to "control it" per say, so much as open a portal for it into the throne rooms of various gods, and let it go to town on them. (The hypothetical example was Thor's.) Then use the fact he could do so again to blackmail the surviving gods into a better position in the world for goblinkind. Plan B is to destroy the world.

Of course, now that Xykon's taken the time to have the ritual broken down for him, who knows how far off course the Big X is going to knock the plan off the rails?

And let's not forget that as a Divine Theurge, and thus able to cast both divine and arcane magics, it might even be possible for Tsukiko to cast the ritual BY HERSELF, and who knows what would happen then?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Yep, changing my theory to "the big players are Tarquin, Xykon and Redcloak."

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I don't want to start off a whole alignment debate, because god there's just nothing more dull, but you could say we have three major players now, Xykon, Tarquin and Nale, who are (arguably, but it's always arguably) chaotic, lawful and neutral evil respectively, so each of the evil cloak guys in the background gets one protege, so to speak. I'm probably missing something that invalidates all this - and in any case there are still Redcloak, Sabine and the Monster - but if it played out that way that'd be a pretty good and subtle way to develop things.

Isn't Sabine already reporting to all three cloak guys?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0380.html

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

New comic!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
When you post the comic here, rather than a link, you should also post its title. Just sayin'.

(Raiders of the Lost Plot Arc)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So who the hell did kill Penelope? I doubt Tarquin did and forgot about it. Only way Nale survives is if Malack did it so...?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I wish Rich would just kill off Nale already. He's by far the least interesting character. So sick of the Linear Guild.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Yup. You're going to die Tarquin. Even worse, you're going to die in the middle of nowhere so your legend will just end.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Hang on. Nale didn't kill Penelope, and Tarqun didn't kill her either, so I'm guessing that one of the Draketooths did it. They probably have some kind of anti-scrying alarm that let them know that Penelope was looking for them and decided to take her out instead.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Toussaint Louverture posted:

I wish Rich would just kill off Nale already. He's by far the least interesting character. So sick of the Linear Guild.

You do realize now that Nale is going to kill Tarquin and it'll be huge letdown for everyone because instead of being the legendary king taken down by the hero, he'll be the oblivious ruler taken down by his ungreatful son.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Malack had to be the one to kill Penelope. The way he brushes off the mystery of Tarquin's dead wife tells it all.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

rotinaj posted:

Malack had to be the one to kill Penelope. The way he brushes off the mystery of Tarquin's dead wife tells it all.

Tarquin has many dead wives

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

rotinaj posted:

Why would Malack want to kill Penelope? For all the ominousness surrounding him he seems more concered about his own job than the growing pile of dead wives next to Tarquin.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So the eyeball we saw in the middle of the desert was Nale's random scrying attempts.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

So it really WAS mysterious circumstances for her death, not a one-off joke. Nice. Also, nice burn on Sabine, Tarquin.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

HKR posted:

Tarquin has many dead wives

All killed by Malack prehaps? It would create some extra drama and betrayal further down the track. Maybe marriage makes Tarquin go soft and distracts him, while his old aventuring buddy still wants to take over world.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Goffer posted:

All killed by Malack prehaps? It would create some extra drama and betrayal further down the track. Maybe marriage makes Tarquin go soft and distracts him, while his old aventuring buddy still wants to take over world.

No, he killed most of them.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

CommaToes posted:

You do realize now that Nale is going to kill Tarquin and it'll be huge letdown for everyone because instead of being the legendary king taken down by the hero, he'll be the oblivious ruler taken down by his ungreatful son.

And Tarquin will appreciate the poetic irony in it, and leave this world knowing that despite it all, he finally managed to instill a sense of theatrics on his stupid, bearded son.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Calaveron posted:

And Tarquin will appreciate the poetic irony in it, and leave this world knowing that despite it all, he finally managed to instill a sense of theatrics on his stupid, bearded son.

The dude literally cannot lose.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Aww, Tarquin thinks that he's the Antagonist and not a sideplot. Xykon's going to give us another lesson in power.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Why would Malack want to kill Penelope? For all the ominousness surrounding him he seems more concered about his own job than the growing pile of dead wives next to Tarquin.

Since Nale is beyond his reach, maybe he just wants to keep Tarquin from being married long enough to reproduce and make more horrible people.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Nope, not buying it. Malack's got no motive. It was a Draketooth hit squad.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Is there any possibility that Malack IS Draketooth? How well does Tarquin know him and could his illusion magic work that well?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Maybe The Empress of Blood is Draketooth.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Tarquin is Draketooth, he replaced Elan's father years ago.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Clearly The Monster in the Dark is actually Draketooth

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
You are Draketooth. It's a metaphor, man. A metaphor.

I have the best taste in this whole damn place
We are all Draketooth.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Tarquin's got a Ring of True Sight on at all times. No illusion will work on him.

Now granted, Tarquin's got a poo poo-ton of enemies from all over the Southern Continent, so it certainly could be someone we've never heard of.

But Conservation of Characters suggests that it should be someone we've heard of, and if it is, I'm going with a Draketooth. We know they're paranoid, willing to steal an infant from her mother, and potent in both scrying and illusion magic. And probably multi-class Fighter/Sorcerers to boot. There are plenty of people who might have been willing to off Penelope to hurt Tarquin (though they obviously don't know him very well if they did since he just shrugs and goes after a new wife, not even bothering to raise the old one, even though Malack's RIGHT THERE) but as far as we know the only ones with motive to kill Penelope were Tarquin, Nale, and the Draketooths.

And if Tarquin and Nale didn't do it, then....

EDIT: Though I suppose it's possible that Raise Dead is outlawed in Tarquin's lands. After all Nergal is a God of Death, and it may be part of Malack's faith that dead means DEAD. After all, he didn't raise his own children from the dead after Nale killed them, even though he probably should have been able to.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 16, 2011

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

jng2058 posted:

Tarquin's got a Ring of True Sight on at all times. No illusion will work on him.

EDIT: Though I suppose it's possible that Raise Dead is outlawed in Tarquin's lands. After all Nergal is a God of Death, and it may be part of Malack's faith that dead means DEAD. After all, he didn't raise his own children from the dead after Nale killed them, even though he probably should have been able to.

Epic magic might work on a Ring of True Sight, though I haven't hosed with Epic level stuff much.

And his kids might have been just like Roy's brother. Or, some Death Gods need a really, really good reason to return someone from the living rather than outlawing it altogether. Someone like Elan or Tarquin could possibly be raised, but not Joe Blow the janitor.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

seaborgium posted:

Epic magic might work on a Ring of True Sight, though I haven't hosed with Epic level stuff much.

And his kids might have been just like Roy's brother. Or, some Death Gods need a really, really good reason to return someone from the living rather than outlawing it altogether. Someone like Elan or Tarquin could possibly be raised, but not Joe Blow the janitor.

True, that. Dorukan had Epic Magic on his side, Girard could have it too. And fair point on the child-ghosts bit too.

You'd think that the defacto ruler of the realm's wife would be on the To-Be-Raised list, though.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

jng2058 posted:

True, that. Dorukan had Epic Magic on his side, Girard could have it too. And fair point on the child-ghosts bit too.

A multiclass caster-"anything else" can't throw around the kind of power that an epic singleclass wizard can. People like Dorukan and Zykon are in a whole different league.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

wiegieman posted:

A multiclass caster-"anything else" can't throw around the kind of power that an epic singleclass wizard can. People like Dorukan and Zykon are in a whole different league.

Are we sure Draketooth was a multi-class caster and not, say, a bard? There are bard PRCs that grant up to 9th level casting, whereupon presumably at epic he could pull out some high end poo poo with illusions.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well wasn't the halfling a bard? No party would have two bards.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cliff Racer posted:

Well wasn't the halfling a bard? No party would have two bards.

She was a rogue.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

I just liked it when Nale refused to give his dad the dramatic music. It's just so petty.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I want to see Tarquin's bedroom, just to know whether or not he has a copy of The Evil Overlord's Handbook sitting on his nightstand. He's almost painfully genre-savvy, I wouldn't doubt it for a moment.

He's the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Archenteron posted:

I want to see Tarquin's bedroom, just to know whether or not he has a copy of The Evil Overlord's Handbook sitting on his nightstand. He's almost painfully genre-savvy, I wouldn't doubt it for a moment.

He's the best

In this world, he WROTE the evil overlord list, then gave it to his minions.