Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

flatluigi posted:

But an incredibly similar game has been out for just about a year?

And that's why an incredibly similar character is really good right now and not the characters that still need stuff figured out. You're not seeing too much new, because the people winning tournaments aren't as good with the new stuff as they are with old, simple characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
In three years, when someone has finally figured out how to make Chun-Li a serious god-tier problem in this game, I will finally be vindicated. :colbert:

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Ahahahahaha, offline H&H really is only against the AI.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/blog/2011/12/14/heroes__heralds:_the_offline_campaign

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Thats hosed up

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Krad posted:

Yeah, no. What I'm saying is these guys actually showed something new to watch.
I only watched the first three games and the last game, but what was new? I saw domination by Zero, who was top tier in vanilla and has new long rear end combos to replace his old long rear end combos, backed by Dante (also top tier in vanilla) and either Virgil who has shown to be pretty strong so far or Chris who Sam used fairly well it looked like but was around before. Jan used Dorm/Sent/Haggar who were pretty common before, Dorm less so, and Nemesis/Hulk/Haggar or whatever order it was.

FauxCyclops
Feb 25, 2007

I'm the man who killed Hostess. Now, say my name.
Between the above and the gem system reveal for SFxT, today is "I Hate Capcom" day

Xuuel
Feb 20, 2010

kaujot posted:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/blog/2011/12/14/heroes__heralds:_the_offline_campaign
Ugh, man that sucks. Hopefully we'll be able to have a pseudo vs mode using training mode.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Love you forever Capcom, you loving idiots.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Correnth posted:

In three years, when someone has finally figured out how to make Chun-Li a serious god-tier problem in this game, I will finally be vindicated. :colbert:

You and me both. I think Chun is the only character that absolutely no high level player has put any time into.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

kaujot posted:

... Why?!

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Shout outs to Crapcom, glad I didn't buy the game yet.

Your Rain
Nov 29, 2006
All those born beneath an angry star.
Anyone play this game in Canada or eastcoast? Add me psn Xiaosuperstar lets play some games heheoheohoehe

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

kaujot posted:

So the work around is to... go into training mode? And then pick a set of 3 ability cards for your team? You and whoever you're playing has to then spend time scrolling through the list of cards? Can you share decks? Make pre-existing decks? It sounds like a real hassle for local pla-

Wait a minute...

Heros and Heralds is a way of easing players into Street Fighter x Tekken, diguised as a free DLC :catstare:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

flatluigi posted:

But an incredibly similar game has been out for just about a year?

Which really isn't a lot of time for a fighting game, I'm pretty sure a year after MvC2 was out people were still using Iceman because they thought he was top-tier.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Why did this instantly make me think of Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance? [4-player Castlevania adventure game with a great concept and almost every character in the series, but the worst UI and camera controls possible]

Oh yeah, it's a great idea marred by just unbelievable lack of effort on the major details. .

They could've half-assed it, and let you share a deck, but no. Not even that.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Tamagod Sushi posted:

So the work around is to... go into training mode? And then pick a set of 3 ability cards for your team? You and whoever you're playing has to then spend time scrolling through the list of cards? Can you share decks? Make pre-existing decks? It sounds like a real hassle for local pla-

Wait a minute...

Heros and Heralds is a way of easing players into Street Fighter x Tekken, diguised as a free DLC :catstare:

That assumes you can even select cards for the dummy team in heroes and heralds training mode.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

NecroMonster posted:

That assumes you can even select cards for the dummy team in heroes and heralds training mode.

It says you can in the article that was linked. Which means that we have an awkward workaround allowing us to do the thing that everyone wanted to do. Thanks Capcom.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Liku posted:

Which really isn't a lot of time for a fighting game, I'm pretty sure a year after MvC2 was out people were still using Iceman because they thought he was top-tier.

Actually not really. After a year (from what I can tell) basically everyone was playing Cable, Strider/Doom had been discovered, Magneto had been discovered. Pretty soon after that everyone was playing Sentinel and JWong was already playing Storm.

I think people downplay how quickly some of the top tier of MvC2 was found.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Mr. Fun posted:

It says you can in the article that was linked. Which means that we have an awkward workaround allowing us to do the thing that everyone wanted to do. Thanks Capcom.

And not reading the article makes me look like an idiot. Welp.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
So I've got Skrull/Doom on the team but don't know who else to add. I was toying around with Nemesis on point, but I can't really seem to get him to do much. Yeah I can get in and land a combo or two, but he's not playing the 'battery' role as much as I'd like him to. I was thinking of Chris (I always lean on Chris since I've known his combos since vanilla) but mostly I'd like someone who can either A) take advantage of Skrull's Stone Smite assist, or B) DHC into Skrull/Doom pretty well.

Iron Fist can DHC into either of my guys pretty well it looks like, but...he just doesn't seem to do anything. My air game feels so weak with him and I don't really know how to get in with him either. Thoughts?

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

Waverhouse posted:

So I've got Skrull/Doom on the team but don't know who else to add. I was toying around with Nemesis on point, but I can't really seem to get him to do much. Yeah I can get in and land a combo or two, but he's not playing the 'battery' role as much as I'd like him to. I was thinking of Chris (I always lean on Chris since I've known his combos since vanilla) but mostly I'd like someone who can either A) take advantage of Skrull's Stone Smite assist, or B) DHC into Skrull/Doom pretty well.

Iron Fist can DHC into either of my guys pretty well it looks like, but...he just doesn't seem to do anything. My air game feels so weak with him and I don't really know how to get in with him either. Thoughts?

Nova. He basically has skrull's inferno hyper.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

Krad posted:

That was five bazillion times more exciting than the usual matches with the usual "top tier" people playing Wesker vs Wesker.

Hey basically every character used in those matches that isn't a new character was top tier in vanilla except for uh Dormammu??? Who was still pretty good.

the real tear list looks like this now:
:qq:
wesker
phoenix
wolverine
sentinel

is zero next???

FauxCyclops
Feb 25, 2007

I'm the man who killed Hostess. Now, say my name.

Waverhouse posted:

Nem/Skrull/Doom is a good team. I wish my flatmate would add Doom to his Nem/Skrull setup but everyone plays Doom!:saddowns: Maybe Dr. Strange? Sentinel?

Nobody can make good use of Skrull's stone smite assist. Nobody!!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
If only Skrull had a Meteor Smash assist. :allears:

Player 2
Sep 11, 2011

by T. Couchfucker

Liku posted:

This may be a little bit off topic but I keep seeing Wesker being compared to IceMan, can someone explain to me what happened to IceMan in MvC2 and why he apparently went from godlike to poo poo or mid tier?

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008

Player 2 posted:

This may be a little bit off topic but I keep seeing Wesker being compared to IceMan, can someone explain to me what happened to IceMan in MvC2 and why he apparently went from godlike to poo poo or mid tier?

When MvC2 was first being played in tournaments people thought iceman was really really good because he didn't take chip damage when he blocked, and had a good beam attack, as well as some other special attacks that were decent. I wouldn't necessarily he went to poo poo tier but once people found out about magneto, storm, sentinel, cable and the other top tier characters he wasn't really worth using anymore.

The comparison is that, since UMvC3 is so new people shouldn't be crying about nerfs and stuff because things change. Not everything is known about the game and getting capcom to constantly dip their fingers into the game is really annoying and stupid for people trying to learn the game.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What are some of the potential drawbacks Wesker might have?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

flatluigi posted:

Familiarity? Um...hmm.

Hmm.

v:raise:v

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Anyone got any links to some hype MvC2 matches from back in the day? It'd be interesting to see high level play in that game as compared to now.

Your Rain
Nov 29, 2006
All those born beneath an angry star.

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

Hey basically every character used in those matches that isn't a new character was top tier in vanilla except for uh Dormammu??? Who was still pretty good.

the real tear list looks like this now:
wesker
phoenix
wolverine
sentinel

is zero next???

what? sentinel is really bad =\

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008

flatluigi posted:

Does it matter??? Nobody is saying Wesker is going to be bad or even has the chance to become bad unless Capcom dips their hands into the game again. He has a lot of tools that make him a really good character, but so do a lot of other characters. He's just been in use for a year vs. a month for the new characters.

It sounds like people get real caremad when teams have Wesker as an anchor, so it sounds like the real issue here isn't necessarily Wesker, but Xfactor being a really lovely and dumb mechanic.

e:

Your Rain posted:

what? sentinel is really bad =\

Lmao what?? He was the first and only character nerfed in vanilla MvC3! He took a huge health hit like within the first 2 months. Thats a list of characters people whined about when mvc3 first dropped till now. If think sentinel is bad though wow just wow. Good normals, command grab, hits hard, easy combos, projectiles, fast wavedash, and super armor??? His biggest problems are his size and really low health.

dat fukkin dog!! fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 15, 2011

Player 2
Sep 11, 2011

by T. Couchfucker

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Anyone got any links to some hype MvC2 matches from back in the day? It'd be interesting to see high level play in that game as compared to now.

The Neo vs Clockworck money match which you may have already seen but hey, any excuse to watch this again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVTdAOb54xI

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008

Player 2 posted:

The Neo vs Clockworck money match which you may have already seen but hey, any excuse to watch this again

Careful watching this, you'll probably cry because it makes mvc3 look so so bad.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Player 2 posted:

I think it's fair to say nearly everyone has seen this. Wasn't there a Wednesday Night Fights or something back in the day?

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

http://zachd.com/mvc2/ is where I go for older MvC2 footage. Evo and ECC vids back to 2001.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mvc2+comeback+justin+wong The Josh360 comebacks (for and against Justin), Evo 2007 vs Yipes, and Xecutioner matches are some of my favorites.

If you just want hype and MvC2, Clockwork vs Neo is the place to go and that got linked while I was typing up other stuff so click that link

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I think it's fair to say nearly everyone has seen this. Wasn't there a Wednesday Night Fights or something back in the day?

Yes but they weren't recorded, as this was before streams.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

It sounds like people get real caremad when teams have Wesker as an anchor, so it sounds like the real issue here isn't necessarily Wesker, but Xfactor being a really lovely and dumb mechanic.

It's actually both because the system compounds with his design to create "A Really Good Character". Anchors got stronger in this game but the first person to x-factor with them is only relevant in regards to what they are (at the moment) because every single good anchor kills people on incoming mixups.

The argument of "he's a veteran top tier who has been played for awhile vs other characters!!" justifying his position as "best anchor" is really strange because it doesn't really have anything to do with experience. It's his team functionality, strong overall tools and ability to make the entire other team irrelevant once he lands a hit (even if they have Wesker anchor oh noooo)that makes him the best anchor. You know, his character design.

There are obviously other characters like this, but none of them have the overwhelming overall strength he has as an anchor due to his complete lack of necessities for doing anything as an anchor and team functionality.

Overall I don't believe Wesker should be nerfed as a character tool-wise, because there's obviously going to be good characters one way or another (and if you nerfed him, I'd argue that you would have to nerf many of the potential top tier who don't "work" for their damage) but specifically HIS anchor potential is a problem at the moment and it isn't simply due to one factor. The only nerf I'd argue for is nerfing his x-factor duration but who knows what other stupid characters ( ZERO DORMAMMU ZERO DORMAMMU ZERO DORMAMMU the real best characters in the game ) would take his place.

edit:
Also people saying that nerfing his glasses change would make him "ok again" are morons and don't understand why he's currently so strong in the first place.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 15, 2011

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
rumor going around that wright is getting nerfed (most common story being removing the invincibility on his assist)
http://i.imgur.com/OTUvv.png

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 15, 2011

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

darealkooky posted:

rumor going around that the invincibility on wrights super assists is getting patched
http://i.imgur.com/OTUvv.png

This is for the best. I'd rather have a bad character all-around than a bad character with a retardedly good gimmick assist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
yeah wright is running wild on everybody I'm glad they're fixing this

• Locked thread