Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

woodhead posted:

Any of you shits tried the ICS ports for the Vibrant? I'm thinking of installing one but was wondering if anyone had usage reports on here yet.

I have it i've been using it for a week. I am never going back to anything lower than ICS. Everything works except GPS (of course) and video recording. I have gotten a couple of times where it has frozen up but they are rare. definitely stable enough to use as a daily driver. You can't charge it while it is off because it will power on again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Wagonburner posted:

How far along is cyanogenmod on the hp touchpad? pretty good now?

Saw this on front page of xda, maybe another hp firesale of touchpads starting today. If it's $100 like last time, I'm not going to miss out again.

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/hp-touchpad-firesale-part-deux/

Far enough to where it's usable for daily use. It's not stable enough to where you can just flash it and gift it to a non-goon though.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
The CM team is officially ending support for the Vibrant due to a bug that prevents 911 calls from being made on an AOSP based Vibrant.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/117962666888533781522/posts/RbFhz9YMNgp

While I don't disagree with the CM team on this you should do yourself a favor and read the thread. It's hilarious.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The CM team is officially ending support for the Vibrant due to a bug that prevents 911 calls from being made on an AOSP based Vibrant.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/117962666888533781522/posts/RbFhz9YMNgp

While I don't disagree with the CM team on this you should do yourself a favor and read the thread. It's hilarious.

Priceless stuff

moron posted:

I understand the point of view, but I have NEVER dialed 911, and never will. That is not really my point though. Most people would like to have that sense of security, but for those of us that dont, dont make us pay for Samsung, Tmo and whoever else, being bitches about their code.

moron posted more posted:

I dont do stupid things. Maybe you should stop doing stupid things and you wouldnt have to depend so heavily on 911.

he just can't stop posting posted:

If they could be held liable I agree +Micah Madru . But Some of us dont need it or have other devices. I dont use my Vibrant but still like to have it on me with a decent running Rom in case something happens to my new phone. And personally I hate stock anything.

In a world where everyone has a cell phone it is unlikely that you will ever be anywhere where no one has one. I understand that this is an optimistic point of view, but hey, I like being optimistic.

Accidents on the freeway, or anywhere else are reported on average of 30 times each. (According to a statistic I just made up to push my point, although Im sure it is close to accurate). Being an incredibly observant and preventative driver aside, if you are in an accident, chances are your phone will be smashed anyway, or at least someone outside the accident will call long before you have the wherewithal to place the call and tell them where the hell you are in the first place.

I did not want this to be a debate about whether or not to have 911 or whether it is needed. I just personally do not need it and can see plenty of people who feel the way I do and would give up having that luxury on their phone in exchange for having CM7.

It was not that long ago that NO ONE had 911 on their cell phones, cause NO ONE had a cell phone.

900ftjesus fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 12, 2011

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

Its 1 thing to jump and be able to land on 2 feet but I had no idea I was landing in Heaven.Hope all is well on this good Friday
On my OG Droid everytime I try to load CM7 with ROM Manager it boots into a screen with a warning triangle and a phone.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Tahm Bwady posted:

On my OG Droid everytime I try to load CM7 with ROM Manager it boots into a screen with a warning triangle and a phone.

Reflash Clockworkmod Recovery.

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

Its 1 thing to jump and be able to land on 2 feet but I had no idea I was landing in Heaven.Hope all is well on this good Friday
Holy poo poo why did I never put CM7 on this thing before its so much better than stock FroYo

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Tahm Bwady posted:

Holy poo poo why did I never put CM7 on this thing before its so much better than stock FroYo

CM6 might run better on the ancient OG Droid h/w. When I had my OG Droid, CM7 would run like a dog.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
The aforementioned Vibrant being dropped by the CM team is being extended to the Epic 4G for the exact same thing.

Oh Samsung. :allears:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Holy poo poo. I love my Nexus S but goddamn does Samsung manage to gently caress up in some really creative ways.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The aforementioned Vibrant being dropped by the CM team is being extended to the Epic 4G for the exact same thing.

Oh Samsung. :allears:

I don't even understand how this could be a bug. I guess 911 has to be dial-able on any phone whether it is activated or not, but beyond that there isn't anything special to it, right? How could they make the hardware in such a way to lock that ability to some ROMs but not to Touchwiz? I know this is expecting too much of Samsung, but is there some actual function they need that could have this as an unintended consequence? I don't get it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
It's not clear that it's really Samsung's fault.

As I understand, the AOSP RIL doesn't automatically engage "Emergency Mode" when dialing 911, and Samsung added code to the TouchWiz RIL to make that happen. Someone identified that problem and made a patch to the AOSP RIL to do the same thing, but there's still audio routing issues. Which might be due to a bug in the patch, or might be due to something else entirely--who knows.

Unfortunately bugs that affect emergency dialing are probably the worst bugs to have to deal with. There's no good way of testing the functionality, short of making unnecessary emergency calls, which is an activity that ranges between "frowned upon" to "a felony". At the same time, it's the one piece of functionality that a phone, really, absolutely has to have working.

Furthermore, teamhacksung doesn't have any Vibrant owners among their group, and of those who did own Vibrants, none were used on T-Mobile. The EpicCM folks have known about the issue for a while and it's been near the top of their TODO list for getting official support, but with limited attention due to the testing problem.

It would be nice though if Samsung could help with a fix though. While perhaps it's not their responsibility, folks are going to run CM official or not, and it's going to be a problem if calling 911 doesn't work.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Ciabatta posted:

I guess 911 has to be dial-able on any phone whether it is activated or not, but beyond that there isn't anything special to it, right?
Actually 911 dialing is very special.

I don't know much about the network side of it, but I believe it's considered an "emergency call" as opposed to a "normal call", and a flag is supposed to be set to indicate that on the outgoing call. I don't know exactly what an "emergency call" means to the network, but it's (i) supposed to take precedence over other calls, and (ii) supposed to work on any phone that can get any network signal, regardless of carrier or activation status.

There's a bunch of 911-support stuff phone side too. For example, the ability to dial 911 has to be allowed even when the phone is locked. When 911 is called, the GPS has to be activated to provide location coordinates to 911 dispatchers (E911 support). The phone also (has to?) to enter an "Emergency Callback Mode" to facilitate transmitting GPS and other stuff even if the 911 call is hungup right away.

In the end, there's some amount of AOSP code dedicated to emergency number (e.g., 911, 112) calling. Some of which has to handshake with the radio too. So the fact that there's a bug here isn't really surprising.

Now, what's surprising is that "non-emergency" 911 calls aren't working. That sounds like a bad, very bad, network bug.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's not clear that it's really Samsung's fault.

I'm asking because I'm ignorant of the technical reasons not because I'm a smart rear end but why is this a problem for the CM team (and AOSP by extension) on only US Samsung Galaxy S handsets and not other ones? Edit: You know what? That was a really dumb question because if you take a step back and realize something you see that an AOSP/CM SGS is running outside of Samsung's original design parameters so "fault" can't be put on them. So yeah, I agree, it would be nice if Samsung opened up RIL code to AOSP and helped out but that's obviously a pipe dream. My apologies, I think I was just going for a classy, hyperbolic "lol Samsung" post.

Also,

Ray Dull posted:

So I'd guess the only way to truly fix this would be for a ton of us to bug Samsung to release the source?

Abhisek Devkota posted:

Yea, most likely

Abhisek Devkota posted:

There are multiple roadblocks to solving this issue, namely the code responsible is Samsung proprietary

I heard mention of several "patches" that may or may not have worked but the issue of CM being open source arises so it appears that whether or not it worked they will not include closed source code in the repo.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 12, 2011

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Actually 911 dialing is very special.

I don't know much about the network side of it, but I believe it's considered an "emergency call" as opposed to a "normal call", and a flag is supposed to be set to indicate that on the outgoing call. I don't know exactly what an "emergency call" means to the network, but it's (i) supposed to take precedence over other calls, and (ii) supposed to work on any phone that can get any network signal, regardless of carrier or activation status.

There's a bunch of 911-support stuff phone side too. For example, the ability to dial 911 has to be allowed even when the phone is locked. When 911 is called, the GPS has to be activated to provide location coordinates to 911 dispatchers (E911 support). The phone also (has to?) to enter an "Emergency Callback Mode" to facilitate transmitting GPS and other stuff even if the 911 call is hungup right away.

In the end, there's some amount of AOSP code dedicated to emergency number (e.g., 911, 112) calling. Some of which has to handshake with the radio too. So the fact that there's a bug here isn't really surprising.

Now, what's surprising is that "non-emergency" 911 calls aren't working. That sounds like a bad, very bad, network bug.

Thanks for the info! I had heard of people wanting to incorporate automatic GPS stuff with emergency calls, but I didn't know that had actually happened. I didn't think of network-side issues either.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Maker Of Shoes posted:

but why is this a problem for the CM team (and AOSP by extension) on only US Samsung Galaxy S handsets and not other ones?
It's a valid question. I suspect that on other devices it's the radio's responsibility to set emergency mode when dialing 911. Samsung likely decoupled this so that there's a configurable list, in one location, of numbers that activate emergency mode when dialed. And this list can be updated independent of the radio firmware.

Edit: the other half: why is this not an issue on the (for example) Captivate? Chances are, it probably is, but that AT&T's network may well be more forgiving of how 911 calls are made. Dollars-to-donuts that a CM7 Captivate running on T-Mo has the same problem.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This is a really dumb question because if you take a step back and realize something you see that an AOSP/CM SGS is running outside of Samsung's original design parameters so "fault" can't be put on them.
That's true. However the overall design of Android is so that components are nicely abstracted and ideally, code that controls whatever-feature be located in a sane place instead of special case code checks being thrown about everywhere willy-nilly. There's a long history with Samsung devices of replacing some TouchWiz component with an AOSP one and other random poo poo breaking because of monkey patched craziness, e.g., things like WiMAX external interrupt handlers being in the SD controller driver cause they couldn't demultiplex them properly.

I don't know, I think we can totally fault them for botching up the framework to make it far more fragile than it needs to be. We just have to reserve the fault a little bit as, to my knowledge, 911 calling does work on stock ROM.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

So yeah, I agree, it would be nice if Samsung opened up RIL code to AOSP and helped out but that's obviously a pipe dream.
It could happen. Samsung has opened (or at least accidentally leaked) a good amount of proprietary driver code over time.

There's obviously areas where they modify the Android framework, where the modifications don't contain TouchWiz secret sauce and could just as well be open code. But the license doesn't obligate them to do it, and the aforementioned "abstraction issues" means that it's not immediately clear which parts of the code can be released and which parts are secret sauce. So they just don't release much platform side.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I heard mention of several "patches" that may or may not have worked but the issue of CM being open source arises so it appears that whether or not it worked they will not include closed source code in the repo.
The patches I saw appeared to have been managed (Java-language) framework code that was probably reversed engineered from disassembled TouchWiz framework. I don't think there's any reason CM wouldn't include it if it worked, so long as it wasn't itself a maintainability nightmare.

Edit: Sorry, the reason why "the code responsible is Samsung proprietary" is a roadblock has more to do with making sure folks really understand what it does, than potential licensing issues I think.

Ciabatta posted:

I had heard of people wanting to incorporate automatic GPS stuff with emergency calls, but I didn't know that had actually happened.
Yup, here's the Wikipedia article on it.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 12, 2011

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

BoyBlunder posted:

CM6 might run better on the ancient OG Droid h/w. When I had my OG Droid, CM7 would run like a dog.

Actually its running pretty great right now. Besides, only gonna have it till Christmas, then G-Nex time!

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Tahm Bwady posted:

Actually its running pretty great right now. Besides, only gonna have it till Christmas, then G-Nex time!

Oh, you're golden then.

I'm trying to root my wife's DInc2, but it looks like Revolutionary only supports 0.97.0000 HBOOT, while 0.98.0000 is the one my wife has. Is there a way to downgrade the HBOOT for this?

edit: think I might've found something: http://androidforums.com/incredible-2-all-things-root/444428-downgrade-2-3-4-gingerbread-2-3-3-prepare-root.html

BoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 12, 2011

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Ciabatta posted:

Thanks for the info! I had heard of people wanting to incorporate automatic GPS stuff with emergency calls, but I didn't know that had actually happened. I didn't think of network-side issues either.

On the network side there's nothing special about 911 on a per-phone basis. The network receives geolocation and relays it to law enforcement, the switch that terminates the call identifies it as 911 as well. The network determines where to send the call based on the tower location. In the event that maintenance is being done, carriers aren't supposed to flush 911 calls to take a piece of equipment offline like they can with other calls. This is not too common, and happens after 1AM since events that affect enough calls are FCC reportable.

The CM team has no way to test anything they do, like ExcessBLarg! said. There are ways to test 911 if you're a carrier, but as "some guy" you're wasting their time and tying up a 911 line that someone else may need and it's not going to go over well at all.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I wonder if at least the GSM devices could be tested using homebrew cellular base stations like OpenBTS or OpenBSC. The phone would then not be on any public cellular network and not calling a real 911 center, but the data being sent could be compared to that of a known working device.

It's not cheap to get set up thanks to the need for a GNU Radio USRP (OpenBTS) or one of a number of commercial cellular BTSes (OpenBSC), but with the number of people working on these projects I'd assume there has to at least be someone who knows someone and can put together the base station and phone for testing.

This still leaves CDMA users affected by this (if any, I haven't looked at the device list) out of luck, but it's a start.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Samsung CM 911 updates:

There was a (GSM) emergency call patch applied to CM's Samsung RIL on 10/13 that was intended to fix 911 on the Vibrant. Although it apparently doesn't, that fix is still useful as it allows GSM emergency calls on devices lacking SIM cards or out of their native/roaming service area.

However, that fix was applied for CDMA devices as well, even though the native RIL layer doesn't support the RIL_REQUEST_DIAL_EMERGENCY request, and so, 911 calling has been broken on every Samsung CDMA device CM build since 10/13. Basically the radio doesn't understand that you're asking it to make a call, and so the call never completes.

The EpicCM folks found this and are pushing through another patch to fix 911 on CDMA devices. It's taken a while since CM7 just started working on the Epic at the time that the bad commit was made, so it wasn't clear it was a regression. The Fascinate, Mesmerize, and Showcase folks did notice but were unable to localize the problem.

Also, it turns out much of the emergency dialing pathway can be tested by putting an arbitrary (non-emergency) phone number in the "ril.ecclist" property. The EpicCM folks were also able to verify a successful E911 call by scheduling it with 911 dispatch, whom they were forwarded to by calling police non-emergency. I'm guessing the success of a random-individual doing that probably depends on your locale and average 911 call volume.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Samsung CM 911 updates:

However, that fix was applied for CDMA devices as well, even though the native RIL layer doesn't support the RIL_REQUEST_DIAL_EMERGENCY request, and so, 911 calling has been broken on every Samsung CDMA device CM build since 10/13. Basically the radio doesn't understand that you're asking it to make a call, and so the call never completes.

So if I'm running a CM build from before 10/13 (10/7 according to my nandroid backup) my 911 should still work? This poo poo is getting concerning.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

IRQ posted:

So if I'm running a CM build from before 10/13 (10/7 according to my nandroid backup) my 911 should still work?
Which device? Fascinate? Yes. Vibrant? No.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Which device? Fascinate? Yes. Vibrant? No.

Nexus S. It is still Samsung, after all.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

big mean giraffe posted:

You can go back in time to 1980 and beat up Robert Russell then for misspelling it.

It's an even bigger slight considering that.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

IRQ posted:

Nexus S. It is still Samsung, after all.
Oh, hmm. If it's a NS4G there's a good chance it was broken along with the Epic and Fascinate--it's RIL is similar. If it's a GSM NS it should be fine, although I believe the previous fix was applied to that device as well.

Which shouldn't be a problem, except, why wasn't it in AOSP to begin with? Now I wonder if non-CM GSM Nexus S devices can make emergency calls when lacking a SIM card or out of native/roaming service ares.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Anybody successfully get cron to run on a rooted Android phone? I tried some Market app that was Cron4Phone or some garbage like that and it never worked. I imagine it was being killed by internal task manager to Android, because tasks never ran.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

trilljester posted:

Anybody successfully get cron to run on a rooted Android phone? I tried some Market app that was Cron4Phone or some garbage like that and it never worked. I imagine it was being killed by internal task manager to Android, because tasks never ran.

Not cron, but there's an alternative that works perfectly.

Get Tasker, install this plugin, set it to run at a specific time, and now you can run scripts/commands on a schedule.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Oh, hmm. If it's a NS4G there's a good chance it was broken along with the Epic and Fascinate--it's RIL is similar. If it's a GSM NS it should be fine, although I believe the previous fix was applied to that device as well.

Which shouldn't be a problem, except, why wasn't it in AOSP to begin with? Now I wonder if non-CM GSM Nexus S devices can make emergency calls when lacking a SIM card or out of native/roaming service ares.

Yeah it's a NS4G; Sprint so I know it's CDMA. Well I guess this is something in favor of going to stock ICS whenever it finally comes out. I just really need to have a kernel that has BLN.

I mean, I have never called 911, but how the hell do you gently caress that up, Samsung? I should be able to pick up a cell phone from 15+ years ago with no carrier and dial 911 and have it work, this isn't new.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hey Ozmodiar, how's the Nexus S situation going for you?

The girl got back her Nexus S from Samsung (it's not her Nexus S, wrong IMEI) and she's been running Oxygen ROM on hers. It's got a couple CM7 things, most notably the notification power widget, but mostly it's just stock. It has a built-in backlight notification that doesn't work right but I swapped it out for the Matrix kernel at her request and it's been working flawlessly. She's bummed that it doesn't have the theme chooser so she could make it look like ICS, but she's really liking the fact that it works reliably, feels fast, and does BLN and notification toggles.

Thought I'd throw that out there in case you're still having stability issues.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

IRQ posted:

I mean, I have never called 911, but how the hell do you gently caress that up

IRQ posted:

Samsung?

Hit the nail on the head there. I think we are at the point where you can be sure that if Samsung has anything to do with a phone it has some terribly embarrassing problem.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Let me see if I follow the Vibrant 911 issue. When you have a stock Vibrant, you can call 911, right? So how is it exactly Samsungs fault that when you install a custom ROM on the phone that it doesn't work? Not to white knight Samsung, but am I missing something?

therealNeoS
Jul 13, 2001
So I've noticed that my GPS isn't accurate on my Droid X running CM7GB.

If I use that GPS Status and calibrate the phone, it seems to lock pretty quick. It doesn't last long though. If I leave the phone idle for a couple of hours and then mess with navigation, it will only be accurate up to like 1300 meters. Re-calibrate with GPS Status and it works again.

I'm running the 12-13-11 RevNumbers CM7DXGB with JakeBites mod. Everything works great except the inconsistent GPS.

I found a GPS fix, but can't get it to work. Any ideas?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Let me see if I follow the Vibrant 911 issue. When you have a stock Vibrant, you can call 911, right? So how is it exactly Samsungs fault that when you install a custom ROM on the phone that it doesn't work? Not to white knight Samsung, but am I missing something?

Technically it's not but every other phone OEM doesn't have this issue so it becomes "because Samsung".

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Bluetooth connectivity works just fine on the latest versions of CM and MIUI, right? :ohdear:

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

eightysixed posted:

Bluetooth connectivity works just fine on the latest versions of CM and MIUI, right? :ohdear:

Depends on the device.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
Help I'm an idiot! So I've been trying to flash the latest Eclipse ROM onto my droid X2 and I'm stuck at flashing the x2 with motoblur 2.3.5 for some reason. The android recovery menu refuses to see the blur 2.3.5 zip, any ideas on what I can do about this?

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
I am going to be picking up a sweet new Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch tomorrow, and am wondering what my options for custom ROMs are. I really kind of wanted to try CM7 or CM9 when it came out, but it looks like that isn't supported.

Anyone here with a rooted SGSIIE4GT using a good custom ROM? I never rooted on my Optimus S and it is all kind of intimidating. I want to make a decent choice on the ROM, Kernel and Modem.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Mistikman posted:

I am going to be picking up a sweet new Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch tomorrow, and am wondering what my options for custom ROMs are. I really kind of wanted to try CM7 or CM9 when it came out, but it looks like that isn't supported.

Anyone here with a rooted SGSIIE4GT using a good custom ROM? I never rooted on my Optimus S and it is all kind of intimidating. I want to make a decent choice on the ROM, Kernel and Modem.
I'm using stock rooted EL13 right now. It's a leaked update that has Carrier IQ removed completely straight from Samsung. CM7 is available in a beta version but a few things aren't working right now. (GPS, Bluetooth, external SD, haptic feedback and dialing 911 - most of that should be fixed soon though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Mistikman posted:

Stick with the stock rom or stock rooted for a while until the rom selection matures. Even a stock samsung rom is better than a hacked up flaky CM port, despite the morons on XDA that deem something a daily driver that only reboots after every other call and is missing multiple essential functions.