Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Drunken Lullabies posted:

Help I'm an idiot! So I've been trying to flash the latest Eclipse ROM onto my droid X2 and I'm stuck at flashing the x2 with motoblur 2.3.5 for some reason. The android recovery menu refuses to see the blur 2.3.5 zip, any ideas on what I can do about this?

Typically, stock recoveries only respond to the zips if they are named 'update.zip' and placed on the root of the SD card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Civil posted:

Depends on the device.

Yep. Bluetooth just would not play ball with my laptop in CM or MIUI. I had to go to a Sense ROM to get it to work.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
If anyone is feeling particularly balsy, there's an ICS Alpha out for the SGSII T-Mobile T-989 version. It has no Data working on it yet but it's looking promising especially since people say it works on Skyrocket too.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1392705

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Zero VGS posted:

If anyone is feeling particularly balsy, there's an ICS Alpha out for the SGSII T-Mobile T-989 version. It has no Data working on it yet but it's looking promising especially since people say it works on Skyrocket too.

ooooo. YAY.
:)

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Anyone on a LTE root their nexus yet? I unlocked the bootloader but I'm seeing conflicting reports about CWM screwing up OTA so I'm a little hesitant - especially when google hasn't released their base image yet.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

This isn't ICS, is it? It seems like just a MIUI port.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

flyboi posted:

Anyone on a LTE root their nexus yet? I unlocked the bootloader but I'm seeing conflicting reports about CWM screwing up OTA so I'm a little hesitant - especially when google hasn't released their base image yet.

About 30 minutes after you posted this: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/android-building/mpRKTbyNI8U/XRq0yScuAPYJ

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

This isn't ICS, is it? It seems like just a MIUI port.

That's what touchwiz looks like, it's a shameless iphone ripoff.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Hah, yeah I found that a few minutes ago. I don't even know why I cared but I decided to try that wallet hack. It doesn't work, don't do it. Thank the lord for RUU.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

big mean giraffe posted:

That's what touchwiz looks like, it's a shameless iphone ripoff.

Huh? I'm talking about the link that was posted about an ICS build for my phone. But it's just MIUI build Android 2.3.X. I was wondering if maybe he had the wrong link or something.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Huh? I'm talking about the link that was posted about an ICS build for my phone. But it's just MIUI build Android 2.3.X. I was wondering if maybe he had the wrong link or something.

My bad, I thought you were talking about the really ugly video someone mentioned earlier that showed the early ICS Touchwiz build.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

big mean giraffe posted:

My bad, I thought you were talking about the really ugly video someone mentioned earlier that showed the early ICS Touchwiz build.

Oh yeah it was the XDA thread.

But yeah that video is awful. Looks like I'll have to hope for CM9.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I could have sworn to god it said it was MIUI but on ICS... entirely possible I hosed that up though. Well, MIUI is easily the best looking/behaving rom on Nook Color so I'd give it a shot on my T-989. Sorry if I teased you guys though.

Edit: Maybe this will cheer you up, apparently a Tmobile OTA patch went out yesterday for Battery Life and Wifi Calling:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/1...3-5-kl1-update/

Anyone know if someone has a downloadable ZIP for the OTA update yet?

Samsung Kies will upgrade the T-989, I just did it and it worked. The battery has to be 50% or above, and if you're on rooted stock it'll knock the root back off, but it worked for me without any other issues.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 16, 2011

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
Ok, I have a question about ROMs vs Kernels vs Modems.

In the last couple days, EL13 leaked for the phone I just picked up. I figured out which ROM I want to use, but that ROM is still based on EK02.

If I update my kernel and modem to EL13, will this cause me to be unable to use a ROM based on EK02? How important is it to keep the 3 things on the same version?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
From some things I've read on xda there are a few miui "ics" builds going around that they've added some type of ics framework to and possibly hacked the version # in about phone to show 4.0 but it's still really gingerbread at its core.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Has anyone rooted the CDMA Nexus using this guide? I'd just like to get root ASAP so I can set everything up without worrying about needing to wipe later.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I'm wondering, is there an app to make restoring backups from Titanium Backup more automated? I can't leave my phone's rom alone and it's getting annoying clicking through the installer.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Elliotw2 posted:

I'm wondering, is there an app to make restoring backups from Titanium Backup more automated? I can't leave my phone's rom alone and it's getting annoying clicking through the installer.

Pro version of TB does that for you I'm pretty sure

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

lazerwolf posted:

Pro version of TB does that for you I'm pretty sure

That's the main reason to get TB Pro other than supporting the dev. Batch restore/backup.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Are there any Wireless Tethering apps that work with the Galaxy Nexus? I've tried Wireless Tether and WiFi Tether with neither working.

With WiFi Tether, it seems to fail when initializing the WiFi interface. It's already been reported to the devs.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

JayKay posted:

Are there any Wireless Tethering apps that work with the Galaxy Nexus? I've tried Wireless Tether and WiFi Tether with neither working.

With WiFi Tether, it seems to fail when initializing the WiFi interface. It's already been reported to the devs.

@koush posted:

Don't worry guys, rootless tether app is on the way :) Give me a few days.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

deong posted:

That's the main reason to get TB Pro other than supporting the dev. Batch restore/backup.
Batch restore is loving awesome.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Batch restore is loving awesome.

Auto-backup is also very nice. Not sure if that's free or pro, but still very nice.

fredor
Apr 10, 2007
I got CM9 via http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1356228
and it is amazing. There are so many little annoyances that are fixed in ICS and it all adds up to a very smooth user experience.
Not sure what they mean as MMS being flaky, I haven't noticed anything as of yet.
Few things I love so far:
Stackable shortcuts
You can have a photo now for your previously grey box in MMS conversations(there is a profile option for your MMS stuff now.)
Gmail Widget? I don't think that was there before but it's nice just seeing the emails there.
Google bar on top of screen that doesn't take up a row.
Widgets are now in your dock screen on a separate tab

Things I don't like.
Weird widget sizes. I don't want widgets that are 3x3.
Can't sync facebook with your contacts.

Captain Riggs
Nov 15, 2003

I'll draw his fire and you run for cover!
Not sure if this is the best thread to ask this but I'm having a really weird problem with my android phone and I can't find any info about it anywhere else.

I have an LG optimus s running gROM. Before even installing pdanet or the wireless tether app it seems to have a bluetooth DUN (dial up networking) option when I pair it with my laptop. (I assume this is part of the custom rom?) So I figured I would set it up to dial #777 like I have done with phones in the past to get internet on my laptop. The problem is that it only works in certain situations that don't seem to make sense:
It will work fine when my phone is connected to a wifi network and NOT connected to my laptop via usb.
It will work fine when my phone is NOT connected to wifi (or wifi is disabled) but IS connected to my computer via usb.
It will not work when it is NOT connected to a wifi network and NOT connected to my computer via usb.

Hilariously I just tested it more and found out that the usb connection condition applies if it is connected to ANY computer (not necessarily the one trying to get internet from it...)

I have double checked that the internet is not being shared via the usb because once I am connected via bluetooth, I can disconnected the usb and still have internet access on my laptop...
Also I am sure that the internet connection that it is sharing via bluetooth is not the wifi because it is much slower and not the same external ip address.

To be clear, when it doesn't work the dialer in windows will get a "error 678 the remote computer did not respond" error.

On top of this, both PDAnet and one of the wireless tether apps both can create their own extra bluetooth DUN services but both will only work in the same weird set of circumstances...

Hopefully someone else has seen some sort of issue like this before. If not I am going to assume it is some sort of weird ROM bug and try flashing another one or going back to stock and see if it works like it should.

I have been able to get the tethering via wifi to work OK, but for what I am using it for I would much rather be using the bluetooth DUN for internet.

Captain Riggs fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 16, 2011

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Mistikman posted:

Ok, I have a question about ROMs vs Kernels vs Modems.

In the last couple days, EL13 leaked for the phone I just picked up. I figured out which ROM I want to use, but that ROM is still based on EK02.

If I update my kernel and modem to EL13, will this cause me to be unable to use a ROM based on EK02? How important is it to keep the 3 things on the same version?
You should be fine with that combination but the EL13 ROM does have a couple of nice things - it's free of CIQ and it seems to have fixed the soundpool bug that would cause some games to crash.

OhGodMyFeet
Mar 11, 2009
So, I've kinda screwed up my Asus Transformer.

I wanted to get access to Cisco VPNs, and I thought the best way was to root my Transformer and install the app. I used the one-click install program... but it failed, and I never worked out why. It still booted, though, so I accepted it.

I still can't accept updates, though. I tried a factory reset, with no luck. I'm currently running 3.2.1, and this is the image I get when I attempt an update.

I no longer want it rooted, as AnyConnect compatibility is coming out with Ice Cream Sandwich. I just want to get it back to stock, and be able to accept updates again. Is there any simple way of doing this?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

OhGodMyFeet posted:

So, I've kinda screwed up my Asus Transformer.

I wanted to get access to Cisco VPNs, and I thought the best way was to root my Transformer and install the app. I used the one-click install program... but it failed, and I never worked out why. It still booted, though, so I accepted it.

I still can't accept updates, though. I tried a factory reset, with no luck. I'm currently running 3.2.1, and this is the image I get when I attempt an update.

I no longer want it rooted, as AnyConnect compatibility is coming out with Ice Cream Sandwich. I just want to get it back to stock, and be able to accept updates again. Is there any simple way of doing this?
It's doing that because updates fail if ROM isn't stock. Yours isn't so the stock recovery won't apply the update.

If you want to fix this you're going to have to install a custom recovery and use that to flash a stock ROM. I don't know anything about Transformers but on some phones you'll also have to flash the stock recovery to accept an update. (And on some you don't.)

OhGodMyFeet
Mar 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

It's doing that because updates fail if ROM isn't stock. Yours isn't so the stock recovery won't apply the update.

If you want to fix this you're going to have to install a custom recovery and use that to flash a stock ROM. I don't know anything about Transformers but on some phones you'll also have to flash the stock recovery to accept an update. (And on some you don't.)

OK, will do. Will I have to re-root it to do that?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

OhGodMyFeet posted:

OK, will do. Will I have to re-root it to do that?
I honestly don't know how things work on the Transformer as I've never seen one nor read about them. I'd imagine you'd need root to flash the recovery but I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to go about that. Have you tried the non-iPad tablet thread?

I'm sure on xda there's some thread somewhere that talks one through returning a Transformer to stock which in theory shouldn't be much beyond flashing a stock ROM in a custom recovery and then getting the stock recovery on there.

The process differs significantly per device so I can't really offer advice aside from generalities.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It seems like there are a bunch of options for rooting the Nexus Prime, and I'm confused as to which one I should use. What method are people most recommending for rooting it now? Are people mostly using Superboot?

EDIT: Using the LTE Prime.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 16, 2011

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It seems like there are a bunch of options for rooting the Nexus Prime, and I'm confused as to which one I should use. What method are people most recommending for rooting it now? Are people mostly using Superboot?

I did the ADB + fastboot. Really simple once the drivers are installed. Then its just "fastboot oem unlock," push su.zip, boot into clockwork recovery to flash su, and reboot. I think superboot may be quicker, but I think this is the "right" way to root a Nexus, though I say that never having owned one before.

Edit: if only it was the Nexus Prime! Also, a couple guides on the fastboot way linked to a G+ post by a koush. The comments section on that post had lots of helpful tips, like if CWM doesn't think it can mount an SD card or find su.zip.

Ciabatta fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 16, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

fredor posted:

Stackable shortcuts
You can have a photo now for your previously grey box in MMS conversations(there is a profile option for your MMS stuff now.)

Things I don't like.
Weird widget sizes. I don't want widgets that are 3x3.

You could already do folders, they just weren't quite as simple to start. And you could already have a profile for yourself so you didn't show up as a box.

And widgets are resizable in ICS.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Got my vzw nexus rooted, cwm installed and loaded http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1394639 up. Then I installed http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1365360 so now I have a fully rooted, unlocked Nexus with working wallet :toot:

Be aware, for the wallet to work you *must* be using a de-odexed rom.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

flyboi posted:

Got my vzw nexus rooted, cwm installed and loaded http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1394639 up. Then I installed http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1365360 so now I have a fully rooted, unlocked Nexus with working wallet :toot:

Be aware, for the wallet to work you *must* be using a de-odexed rom.

Two questions:

A) What the hell does "de-odexed" mean?

B) Have they released a ROM that releases the wireless hotspot functionality yet?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

A) What the hell does "de-odexed" mean?

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/what-is-odex-and-deodex-in-android-complete-guide/

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm not sure where to ask this so I'm trying here - how do I find out the status of an ICS build on an evo3d? I'd really like to upgrade if it's close to usable.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I find it hilarious how many people call themselves "devs" on XDA. I've noticed a crap load of these guys don't actually release anything until an actual developer releases a new build that has features added/removed/fixed. Then all of the sudden there's an influx of UBERBUILDS that are really just broken ROMS with loving horrible themes attached to them.

Really it just makes me feel kind of bad for the guys who do the actual work as they have their efforts stolen and repackaged to work less efficiently and 100% more painful to look at.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

mastershakeman posted:

I'm not sure where to ask this so I'm trying here - how do I find out the status of an ICS build on an evo3d? I'd really like to upgrade if it's close to usable.

It's in limbo. Keyan and his minons have been posting "look at me!" pictures of Sensations and E3D's running ICS for weeks. Keyan claims it's daily drivable but isn't releasing it yet until bugs are squashed. So no one really knows a time table. It was looking good for a 2011 release but I know most of the key players are doing finals this week so I'm guessing mid January at the earliest.

One thing I will say though is the attention whore posting from the Sensation/E3D CM team are getting really old. Also, I can be 99% sure that WiMax and 3D stuffs will be broken in CM9 at launch.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

mastershakeman posted:

There's nothing usable yet.

Honestly at the rate it's been going, you are probably not going to see a ICS ROM that is even mostly functional until after HTC releases an official one.