Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.

compressioncut posted:

Can NOT emphasize this enough.

I asked tonight if we needed our gas masks for this ex in North Carolina. The answer was yes. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Barrakketh posted:

I asked tonight if we needed our gas masks for this ex in North Carolina. The answer was yes. :smug:

I'll trade you your NC ex for my arctic-circle-in-february ex.

If anyone was planning on getting me a Christmas gift I'd like a 12 gauge shotgun and one shell. Thanks!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Samu posted:

If anyone was planning on getting me a Christmas gift I'd like a 12 gauge shotgun and one shell. Thanks!

I have an idea.

We'll meet up somewhere and just swap cap badges, name tags, and ranks. That way nobody will know. You can be the admin o for PAT Platoon at the Infantry School and spend winter in sunny Gagetown. I'll go do your thankless but career-advancing ex in the arctic. Deal?

Canadian Forces: ALWAYS ask questions.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.

Samu posted:

Only if you fulfill my promise of introducing yourself to every marine you see by rolling your shoulders back, pumping out your chest and shout out "Hey you! Hey ARMY, How's it going ARMY?"

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

Thanks for the advice everyone. From what I've gathered I should ask a lot of questions that roughly follow this format:

"Should we bring our helmets/gas masks/other item? Because when I was in cadets we always brought our helmets/gas masks/other item."

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
"Should we bring our helmets/gas masks/ruck/FFO? Because when I was in cadets we always brought our helmets/gas masks/other item. Dude"

Call your instructor dude, they like it. Also answer every question with Yup. If they ask if you like ice cream make sure you are the first person to put your hand up.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

Be outstandingly average. Don't break the mold, don't make yourself noticeable, don't be an individual. DON'T VOLUNTEER FOR ANYTHING. Help your buddies as much as you can, as long as it doesn't get you extra duty.

Listen to this man.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Fraser CDN posted:

"Should we bring our helmets/gas masks/ruck/FFO? Because when I was in cadets we always brought our helmets/gas masks/other item. Dude"

Call your instructor dude, they like it. Also answer every question with Yup. If they ask if you like ice cream make sure you are the first person to put your hand up.

"Should we bring our helmets/gas masks/ruck/FFO? Because when I was in cadets we didn't always bring our helmets/gas masks/other item. Dude"

Here I always thought I ended up on courses with some unfortunately dumb people, but I should have known better (I think that means I'm also dumb, just in a less aggressively obnoxious way).

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Okay, asking if you need to bring the gas mask is legit funny.

I just got my Logistic Unicorp shipment today and it sadly does not have my FUR HAT, YUKON STYLE. All I want is a fur hat. Please tell me the FUR HAT, YUKON STYLE is every bit as awesome as it sounds and looks.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hizawk posted:

Okay, asking if you need to bring the gas mask is legit funny.

I just got my Logistic Unicorp shipment today and it sadly does not have my FUR HAT, YUKON STYLE. All I want is a fur hat. Please tell me the FUR HAT, YUKON STYLE is every bit as awesome as it sounds and looks.

I don't think there are any FUR HAT, YUKON STYLEs anywhere. I tried to place an order for one in September. :(

I believe this is YUKON STYLE.

Obviously we all want this.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
I put on my FUR HAT, YUKON STYLE to make this post. I think you had to order it prior to July to get in November. Rest come next year.

And its awesome

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.
drat, I ordered one back in June and never got it. Of course I was only recently posted to a DEU unit, which may explain why.

There's also a winter boot being advertised on the Logistik site to replace the stupid rubber galoshes, but at this rate who knows when that'll come out.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Ruse posted:

Or alternatively, gently caress with the instructors ever so subtly, only so they notice. They will give you extra PT or whatever, but they will love you.

Make sure they dont catch on your loving with them and never to the instructors with PTSD. I was messing around with a Mcpl and I went a little to far and almost got beat slipped in the shower/ fell down some stairs, he instead boot hosed my drawer. The best was after the inspection I was told by PAT floor senior that I had to go get a damage report, when the same Mcpl asked why I needed a report. I told him because my drawer got boot hosed.

This is the same Mcpl that carved his initials into people dress boots. :argh:

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 15, 2011

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Freeze posted:

Well I'm starting BMOQ on January 9th as an NCSE. I did well on my interview largely thanks to some of the tips in this thread like:

• Never break eye contact
• Repeatedly ask for details about guns (eg. What kind of gun do I get? When do I get it? How long until I get the gun???)
• Speak enthusiastically about "killing towel-heads"
• If possible, sweat profusely

So thanks! If you all have any advice for BMOQ I'd be happy to hear it!

Welcome.

Now indicate you want to go subs so I can be replaced in two to three years.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Oh instructors love cadets. Especially smarmy ones that were high-ranking. Like, "retiring" as a cadet CWO. Tell them that. They'll be really impressed.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Tell them you got your jump wings in the cadets. Sew a pair of wings on your DEUs the moment you get them.

Ask if you can get a maroon beret issued.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

Lt. Jebus posted:

Welcome.

Now indicate you want to go subs so I can be replaced in two to three years.

I think I may want that job later on. Any advice on how to get more exposure with subs before making the decision? It seems like once you volunteer its hard to get out.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Samu posted:

on that thought, my buddy is being sent on that same ex, anything I should get him that would make it easier for him? Cyanide tablet or something?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Frank Dillinger posted:

on that thought, my buddy is being sent on that same ex, anything I should get him that would make it easier for him? Cyanide tablet or something?

A flask.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

MA-Horus posted:

A flask.

That'd be be first on my list, if he wasn't a tee-totaler. maybe those handwarmers that you can boil to recharge?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
If he's rolling down the ice road with the rest of us, may some of these bad boys?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Frank Dillinger posted:

That'd be be first on my list, if he wasn't a tee-totaler. maybe those handwarmers that you can boil to recharge?

Canadian Army

Tee-totaler

Arctic exercise

these words do not compute

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
There are these little peak stoves where the actual stove mechanism just folds up into a case you can comfortably put in your pocket. They have pressurized fuel canisters and you can probably find room for two or three of them in your ruck.

I know there are peak stoves in the toboggan. Shut up. This is something where if somebody dropped something critical it can be warmed up NAO without having to unpack and repack the whole thing. I've even seen dudes open their jackets and have a buddy point one at them (from several feet away, dumbass) for a quick blast of hot.

Also, if you CQ shits the bed and you end up low on naptha, the dude who owns one will be a loving hero when one of those canisters lasts six hours and makes his tent the only one that's hot as a motherfucker.

This is the link for the specific one I had. Go to MEC before everyone else in the brigade buys them out from under you.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/HikingCamping/StovesFuel/PRD~4015-419/msr-pocketrocket-stove.jsp

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Could be worse, many years ago when a couple of guys went way the gently caress up north on some arctic experience, someone from another unit apparently tried seal lard or whatever native food the people up there are super used to but heavily disagreed with his stomach. Apparently at one point he had to go so badly there was no way he'd make it to the shitter, he shouted to get everyone in the tent out and pooped into the lantern case. Which of course froze solid soon after.

I think it might've also been the same guy that at the end of the ex broke/clogged the toilet of some poor RCMP detachment, where the other nearest bathroom is 800m down the road and unable to dig up the ground pipes until the ground thaws.

Oh, and some officer that wanted to go out and have everyone do a PT run at some godforsaken temperature or weather until one of the Rangers assigned to them said he was an idiot, and that if he really wanted to go out he can. But they aren't going to go out and search for their frozen corpses until the weather cleared up.

I think MA-Horus might've heard about this stuff, so if you recall more feel free to fill in what I missed.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

When I was up in the arctic I ate a seal's heart raw right after the rangers shot it and I thought I was going to die later that night. Turns out I just had to have a massive, terrible poo poo and then I was all better.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Hmm..I think I meant blubber instead of lard. But yeah, something like that was to him, but far worse.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Morristron posted:

There are these little peak stoves where the actual stove mechanism just folds up into a case you can comfortably put in your pocket. They have pressurized fuel canisters and you can probably find room for two or three of them in your ruck.

I know there are peak stoves in the toboggan. Shut up. This is something where if somebody dropped something critical it can be warmed up NAO without having to unpack and repack the whole thing. I've even seen dudes open their jackets and have a buddy point one at them (from several feet away, dumbass) for a quick blast of hot.

Also, if you CQ shits the bed and you end up low on naptha, the dude who owns one will be a loving hero when one of those canisters lasts six hours and makes his tent the only one that's hot as a motherfucker.

This is the link for the specific one I had. Go to MEC before everyone else in the brigade buys them out from under you.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/HikingCamping/StovesFuel/PRD~4015-419/msr-pocketrocket-stove.jsp

I'm more of a jetboil person myself, but a lot of guys seem to love those fuel-eating pocket rockets. 6 hours of heat in a canister? It is to laugh.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Vadoc posted:

Could be worse, many years ago when a couple of guys went way the gently caress up north on some arctic experience, someone from another unit apparently tried seal lard or whatever native food the people up there are super used to but heavily disagreed with his stomach. Apparently at one point he had to go so badly there was no way he'd make it to the shitter, he shouted to get everyone in the tent out and pooped into the lantern case. Which of course froze solid soon after.

I think it might've also been the same guy that at the end of the ex broke/clogged the toilet of some poor RCMP detachment, where the other nearest bathroom is 800m down the road and unable to dig up the ground pipes until the ground thaws.

Oh, and some officer that wanted to go out and have everyone do a PT run at some godforsaken temperature or weather until one of the Rangers assigned to them said he was an idiot, and that if he really wanted to go out he can. But they aren't going to go out and search for their frozen corpses until the weather cleared up.

I think MA-Horus might've heard about this stuff, so if you recall more feel free to fill in what I missed.

The PT run almost sounds like an exerpt from Humper-monkey's Nazi barracks ghost story

But the rest of it is a loving nightmare. "EVERYBODY OUT GOTTA POOP"

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Red Beaver posted:

I think I may want that job later on. Any advice on how to get more exposure with subs before making the decision? It seems like once you volunteer its hard to get out.

Other than visiting the local boats and talking with the crew there is very little you can do for subs until you get loaded on a BSQ.

Once you are a qualified submariner there is no going back to the surface fleet short of gross incompetence, drastic career action or for a few trades that aren't locally managed (cooks, PA) or trades that effectively "rank out" of subs (Stewarts, MARS officers post CO, or XOs that fail perisher)

Otherwise you're in for life. Even TechOs that only do one tour on the boats as head of departments will spend the majority of the rest of their careers supporting the subs from ashore.

Even with our horrible workload I still wouldn't want to go back to the skimmers though, too much bullshit there.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

Lt. Jebus posted:

Even with our horrible workload I still wouldn't want to go back to the skimmers though, too much bullshit there.

Could you elaborate on that a bit? What sort of differences are there between surface ships and subs?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Do we have any MARS officers in this thread?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Morristron posted:

awesome! that, plus water wings and beef jerky or something should be pretty great, I think!

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.

Freeze posted:

Well I'm starting BMOQ on January 9th as an NCSE. I did well on my interview largely thanks to some of the tips in this thread like:

• Never break eye contact
• Repeatedly ask for details about guns (eg. What kind of gun do I get? When do I get it? How long until I get the gun???)
• Speak enthusiastically about "killing towel-heads"
• If possible, sweat profusely

So thanks! If you all have any advice for BMOQ I'd be happy to hear it!

Yes I am going with the non sarcastic route. But do ask things of your staff if you ever get one on one time like:

What was one of the more challenging things you had to do as an NCO?
What sort of common problems do you find people from people in leadership above you and how do you think that could be solved? (Take this answer with a grain of salt as they may be excessively bitter)
What is the most common problem you have seen with new officers coming into a unit?

As someone said before don't ask dumbshit questions, but do think of legitimate questions about leadership, styles that have worked, don't work, ways to work with both subordinates and superiors etc... stuff along that line.

Basically try and get a feel for what their job is as an NCO, what is was like for them as a soldier and what they thought worked well in officers so you can gain of perspective of what your subordinates mindset can be like. This way you will probably totally retarded decisions in the future. Don't be afraid of making decisions though. NCOs, once you're fully trained will want to see you develop into a good officer so they will help you out a lot. Take their advice, but again with a grain of salt, as mindsets below, above and at your level don't always mesh. You'll always have to adjust.

Well hopefully this made sense and you can garner something useful from it.

Good luck, and have fun on the course. Sure it may seem intense when you're doing it, but like anything that poo poo will seem easy in the future. It's a new way of thinking and acting so just embrace it and don't be a jerk.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Freeze posted:

Could you elaborate on that a bit? What sort of differences are there between surface ships and subs?

The smaller crew, more covert ops and less oversight leads to a relaxed professionalism that doesn't exist anywhere else in the Navy. The closest example (attitude and bearing wise) would be Special Forces.

The downside is of course the sub program is under an enormous amount of pressure to prove our capability now (or lose it forever) and as a result the program is incredibly ambitious and I wouldn't recommend subs to anyone who is afraid of work.

Kate Lockwell
Feb 17, 2010

I'm going to throw left-handed. Is only way I can be satisfied. If I use my right... over too quickly.
This is a really really weird question but can someone tell me about dog tag etiquette?

I was at the bar with future-Regiment buddies and god drat do the ones who wear that poo poo over their shirt look loving douchey. Literally everyone was wearing them, though, most just had them under their shirts.
I literally know nothing about this and 2 of the guys were making a really big deal about their tags. Are they just loving retarded or something?

e: yep, didn't feel less weird to ask about after typing it

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Personally I never wear my dog tags, even at work. I just keep them with my millitary ID and needle book in m locker at regiment. Wearing them over your shirt will just make you seem like a week 8 recruit, don't do it, tell people who do it that they are being fags.

Other things that make you seem like a douche are: Wearing your green T-Shirt with civvies unless you're going to the gym. Blousing your jeans/wearing combat boots as shoes. Wearing army apparel from the CanEx is alright I guess but just bad style IMO. The only nice thing they have are the black running shorts, which are pretty sweet and cheap. Oh, and never wear your gray long PT unless you have to, thing is ugly as hell. Trust me on these things, I did most of them over the last year but I grew out of my retarded private phase.

Millitary ID does get you free cover at the clubs/bars in Edmonton, which owns, but I got too drunk and lost mine and it's embarrasing to get a new one as you will be investigated and made fun of.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Week 8.5 of BMQ at CFLRS here - had our course cut deliciously in half by Xmas leave, and we get to come back to three glorious weeks of field training in -30 weather, or so I've been lead to believe.

That said - I've rather enjoyed myself so far, hosed up leg aside. The key thing is not to let anything get under your skin, as has been stated dozens of times before. Brush it off, LEARN from the mistakes, and keep on truckin'. Also helps that we have a reduciously good (and somewhat small- 40 people) platoon.

I do have a question for you folks though - EO Technicians! Are there any here? Do you know/work with any of them? Figures I had to pick this obscure trade that most of the instructors shrug about, about which I can't seem to get any coherent responses.

My main question is how in the hell my occupational training will work if there's so few of us (by my count I'm the only one in the school at the moment, one of two total hired this year). Am I gonna spend the next few years waiting for enough EO techs to filter through to make up a proper course load? Will it be OJT forever? I'm sure there's other rather obscure trades like this one with similar training.

SQ and POET courses will obviously work themselves out, but my occupational training makes me wonder.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

What is an EO tech? I know construction techs that aren't remusters wait at minimum a year to go on their 3's. Pray to god you don't get stuck on PAT in Gagetown. We had combat engineers waiting 8 months there in4 man rooms with 8 people in them.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Samu posted:

What is an EO tech? I know construction techs that aren't remusters wait at minimum a year to go on their 3's. Pray to god you don't get stuck on PAT in Gagetown. We had combat engineers waiting 8 months there in4 man rooms with 8 people in them.

Electronic Optronic Tech, formely known as Fire Control Systems Tech.
We're supposedly the dudes that work on any sort of optical packages and systems - vehicle optics, gunsights, night vision, cameras, UAV sensor packages and onwards.
Again, it's a very obscure field - recruiter told me 2 were being hired this year, I was supposedly one of them.
The SQ and POET (general electronics) courses obviously have loads of people from other trades being filtered through that as well, but my actual occupational training has me wondering just what in the heck is gonna happen.
Consider my praying begun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Kate Lockwell posted:

This is a really really weird question but can someone tell me about dog tag etiquette?

I was at the bar with future-Regiment buddies and god drat do the ones who wear that poo poo over their shirt look loving douchey. Literally everyone was wearing them, though, most just had them under their shirts.
I literally know nothing about this and 2 of the guys were making a really big deal about their tags. Are they just loving retarded or something?

e: yep, didn't feel less weird to ask about after typing it

They're just retarded and not impressing anyone. Nobody likes people who flaunt their profession. It comes across as insecure and pathetic to pretty much everyone, and that profession being military only makes it worse as it feeds into stereotypes. One year those guys will grow out of the "all my CF kit is super cool" phase and realize that ID discs are just dumb pieces of metal and won't wear them unless they actually need to wear them for whatever reason. Save yourself the trouble and proceed directly to the "gives no fucks" phase.