Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
"GET DOWN ON YOUR KNEES! DO IT! PUT YOUR HANDS UP! DO IT NOW!" x 50 after your squadmates already killed the guy. The best part is it doesn't work on anyone other than who you were targeting when you yelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I asked this last page, but got no response. But what settings should I use on Exult to make it look nicer on a larger screen. The default setting are sized too small and I noticed in Nakar's LP, he was able to use the Seperent Isle options in Black Isle.

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle

Momonari kun posted:

If I'm interested in trying out Wing Commander, which would be the best one to pick up?

This was asked a couple pages ago but never answered, I too would like to know the answer to this exciting question!

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Rirse posted:

I asked this last page, but got no response. But what settings should I use on Exult to make it look nicer on a larger screen. The default setting are sized too small and I noticed in Nakar's LP, he was able to use the Seperent Isle options in Black Isle.

I don't know about the portraits (would be cool to know how you get those), but I got the game to look quite a bit better just by fiddling with the Setup menu. There are options for resolution, different options for scalers. Switch the game area to "Auto" from "320x200" and fiddle with the resolution and scalers until it looks the way you want it to.

I think someone posted an alternate font earlier in the thread since the one Ultima VII has by default it pretty horrible. I can't find it right now but there are other alternate fonts floating around the internet and should be easy to Google for.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

frogg posted:

This was asked a couple pages ago but never answered, I too would like to know the answer to this exciting question!
I bought Wing Commander 1+2 earlier today. If you want, tomorrow I can have some feedback on the first game as someone with no experience with the series and no joystick.

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle

Armor-Piercing posted:

I bought Wing Commander 1+2 earlier today. If you want, tomorrow I can have some feedback on the first game as someone with no experience with the series and no joystick.
That would be fantastic, thanks!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
If I do not have alot of experience in D&D, but like turn-based games, should I get Temple of Elemental Evil? Baldur's Gate is good, but it being in real time (Putting aside the options to auto-pause, which I do make use of) makes things messy for me.

P.S. Yes, I am well aware of the Circle of Eight mod or whatever it is called.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 15, 2011

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Unlucky7 posted:

If I do not have alot of experience in D&D, but like turn-based games, should I get Temple of Elemental Evil? Baldur's Gate is good, but it being in real time (Putting aside the options to auto-pause, which I do make use of) makes things messy for me.

Do you like D&D combat? Because that's what the game is about. The story is pretty much rubbish, but it is the best D&D combat simulator there is.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
ToEE is an excellent D&D simulator. Also if you want to simulate an unimaginative but somewhat obsessive DM. I spent hours in what I'm pretty sure is the prologue area doing pointless little quests and never made it to the main dungeon itself.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
So, what are the absolute best games I should pick up from GoG? Assume I haven't picked up much from it, and am interested in most genres (strategy, turn-based or real time is the only one I can really say I dislike, and that's mainly because it conflicts with my massive completionist personality)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Just pick from the bestsellers: http://www.gog.com/en/catalogue#all_genres/order/bestselling/

Skip the free ones (because they're free) and Jagged Alliance Deadly Games, Empire Earth, and Broken Sword (because they were once free). Skip the genres you don't like also.

Look at the remaining ones, then ask some more questions.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

So, what are the absolute best games I should pick up from GoG? Assume I haven't picked up much from it, and am interested in most genres (strategy, turn-based or real time is the only one I can really say I dislike, and that's mainly because it conflicts with my massive completionist personality)
IF I had $20 to spend on games right now and I don't own anything from Gog I would pick up: The Last Express, Gabriel Knight 1, 2 & 3, Rollercoaster Tycoon: Deluxe, Psychonaughts and Ultima 7.

If I had $40 to spend:
The Last Express, Gabriel Knight 1, 2 & 3, Rollercoaster Tycoon: Deluxe, Psychonaughts and Ultima 7, XIII, Wing Commander 1+2, Planescape: Torment, Fallout 1 & 2, The Witcher

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Unlucky7 posted:

As the people above me said, ToEE is very much the game that's the most true to the real D&D 3.5 when it comes to stats, abilities and the combat itself. The module which it's based on is a bit lopsided, though, with a really slow midgame and an endgame that's skewed in evil parties' favour.
But for 2.99 it's completely worth it!

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

bowmore posted:

IF I had $20 to spend on games right now and I don't own anything from Gog I would pick up: The Last Express, Gabriel Knight 1, 2 & 3, Rollercoaster Tycoon: Deluxe, Psychonaughts and Ultima 7.

If I had $40 to spend:
The Last Express, Gabriel Knight 1, 2 & 3, Rollercoaster Tycoon: Deluxe, Psychonaughts and Ultima 7, XIII, Wing Commander 1+2, Planescape: Torment, Fallout 1 & 2, The Witcher

I'd agree with everything here except the Gabriel Knight games. Unless you have a nostalgic attachment to them they don't hold up today, thanks to the lovely sierra style puzzles.

EDIT: I'd also include the Might and Magic 6 pack and all of the infinity engine games.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Amethyst posted:

I'd agree with everything here except the Gabriel Knight games. Unless you have a nostalgic attachment to them they don't hold up today, thanks to the lovely sierra style puzzles.

EDIT: I'd also include the Might and Magic 6 pack and all of the infinity engine games.
I was going to say M&M6 but he said he wasn't into those kinds of games.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

bowmore posted:

Whoops, forgot about that!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Amethyst posted:

I hadn't played them before GOG but still loved the first and third game (second was ok). I used walkthrough quite a lot but it doesn't really matter because these games are all about story and atmosphere.

One of the few video game series with actual chemistry between the characters.

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010

Mr. Pither posted:

It's kinda weird, generally I find that even my favorite older games feel too clunky and old to play after a while, but Alpha Centauri still really holds up.

Agreed. I have installed it on every computer I've ever owned since I bought the Planetary Pack back in 2001-ish. Diplomacy model and espionage system is still the best out of all the Civ games. The fact that ideology affects diplomatic relations so adversely is another thing it does better than the Civ games.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Kennel posted:

I hadn't played them before GOG but still loved the first and third game (second was ok). I used walkthrough quite a lot but it doesn't really matter because these games are all about story and atmosphere.

One of the few video game series with actual chemistry between the characters.

Same here and I agree 100% although I haven't had the time to play GK3 yet.

The atmosphere of the first two game was really phenomenal and I enjoyed the second game as much as the first one even if the FMV was little clunky. Great combination of music, story and charactes. And puzzles weren't so bad either, I only had to consult the walkthrough couple of times.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
You fuckers, why didn't you tell me Star Control was so good?

Also, is there anything there that would qualify as "interactive fiction?" By that, I mean games that are like adventure games, minus the pixel hunting and the combining of items. I have Fahrenheit and The Last Express, but am yet to play either.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Rirse posted:

Are you talking about the serpent isle portraits or paperdolls? Because as far as I am aware there is no way to use the portraits (with the exception of the Avatar) Nakar was just using those images to post dialogue but they werent actually in the game.

The detailed paperdolls can be enabled under gameplay options after you have started a game though.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Dorepoll posted:

Also, is there anything there that would qualify as "interactive fiction?" By that, I mean games that are like adventure games, minus the pixel hunting and the combining of items. I have Fahrenheit and The Last Express, but am yet to play either.

The original Zork Trilogy is on there.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

frogg posted:

I think throughout the entire core Wing Commander series ... the gameplay is practically identical. It's just a matter of graphics and cinematics. Honestly starting from I+II isn't terrible. It's more concentrated and slightly less operatic. I've been playing through I recently and it's held up remarkably well.

Be aware though that there's practically an impossible mission toward the end of the winning path. The game has a branching mission path, so it doesn't really matter. You can lose a mission or two and recover. If it happens too early though it kind of sucks because you're stuck with lovely equipment which isn't as fun to play in.

Dorepoll posted:

You just haven't read the forums long enough. I hope you're playing the remake, http://sc2.sf.net

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Geop posted:

Would you say that you got cut off by a difficulty curve curb of sorts? :downsrim:

The game is pretty unforgiving if you go in to it blind. Last time I played it, though, I looked up what a "good" party was. End result? I was steamrolling stuff :psyduck: Absolutely ridiculous how much easier it was once I had a party of people in their proper races with intelligently done stat distribution.

But I'll stop the derail there. It isn't on GOG yet (unfortunately), so I'm dragging things off-topic :(

I actually broke out my original CDs for Wizardry 8 last night as a result of this thread. I've not played it since it came out. But, I didn't do anything other than install it, because I got distracted by XIII and Good old Heroes 3. So I'll have to see how it works on Windows 7 x64 today.

XIII is awesome, and the art / style is great. The gameplay isn't really anything to write home about, but it doesn't seem particularly awful. I'm kind of sad it took so long to find it. I love the comic book look of it.

Really so far the only bad thing about it is that it has the shoddy console port issue of the mouse not working properly in the menus, but that's not really a deal breaker since it works fine in game. It's well worth the $3 in my opinion. Also, you can screw with the FOV and resolution in the ini file for decent looking widescreen.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 15, 2011

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

duckfarts posted:

My memories of SWAT 3:

• Start a mission to enter a home and arrest some potentially crazy guy with a gun.
  • Bust open door.
  • Jam on "comply" button, and my guy yells "GET DOWN ON THE GROUND NOW"
  • Guy gets on his knees and I cuff him while my guy yells "GET DOWN ON THE GROUND NOW"
  • My guy yells "GET DOWN ON THE GROUND NOW"
  • Been checking out the fridge for a while while my guy is still yelling "GET ON THE GROUND NOW"
  • (I was only pressing the "comply" button when I was arresting the guy)
:allears:

They say the game is Tactical, but there's not really anything too tactical about bashing in a door (with hosties) and shooting everything down. I mean hell yeah that's what I would really do, but come on Sierra I'm playing a game, at least make me think that I'm playing a stand up SWAT dude.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

Substandard posted:

I actually broke out my original CDs for Wizardry 8 last night as a result of this thread. I've not played it since it came out. But, I didn't do anything other than install it, because I got distracted by XIII and Good old Heroes 3. So I'll have to see how it works on Windows 7 x64 today.

It runs fine on Win7, at least as far as I can tell. I've played through twice with only a few crashes; mainly in Lower Marten's Bluff and the Rapax areas, so they were likely just wiz8 making GBS threads itself trying to keep track of a billion aimlessly meandering MOBs rather than any OS shenanigans.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

If anyone's looking for mods for Wiz 8, I've had this page bookmarked for the longest time and it looks like it's still being updated:
http://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/wiz8mods.htm

Go here for any mod support:
http://vnboards.ign.com/wizardry_8_spoiler_board/b21210 (yeah this forum is still around)

FlameStryke's mod is probably the oldest of the bunch while Dodd was the last mod I remember playing. Looks like Reforged is a newly released one.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

bowmore posted:

He said he wasn't into strategy. Might & Magic isn't strategy, Heroes of Might & Magic is.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Any thoughts on Gangland? It looks mildly entertaining for a couple of bucks.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

I hope you're playing the remake, http://sc2.sf.net

I wouldn't quite call it a remake, to be honest - but this is the way to play the game.

(It's less of a 'remake' of Star Control 2 than Exult is a 'remake' of Ultima 7 - and it's not doing nearly as much as Exult either)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sorry, it's a source port of the 3DO version back to PC.

But it was overall prettier with a better soundtrack and hilarious voice acting.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Is Ur-Quan Masters complete? Last version is 0.7.0, and generally developers don't use this low numbering unless it's still missing features.

e: nice. I'll have to give it a spin at some point.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 15, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Is Ur-Quan Masters complete? Last version is 0.7.0, and generally developers don't use this low numbering unless it's still missing features.

It was complete several versions ago. Everything past about 0.4 has been adding features and stuff like remixed soundtracks on top of the already-impressive hybrid of PC and 3DO versions they've put together.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

quote:

Version 0.7.0 is our current public release. The only missing game feature at present is namable savegames. Beyond this, our primary task is to refactor the code to the point that we can be sure that it is both correct and elegant enough to be extended by others.
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/info.php

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

e: nice. I'll have to give it a spin at some point.

Yep, it's absolutely the way to go. One of my favourite games of all time. I finished the original way back when and then again maybe 5 years ago, the second time playing Ur-Quan Masters. It's very close to perfect.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

teethgrinder posted:

Sorry, it's a source port of the 3DO version back to PC.

But it was overall prettier with a better soundtrack and hilarious voice acting.

I remember playing a very early version where it was much more of a straight 3DO port, with some kind of issue with finding one of the alien homeworlds? Looking at it now, though, the UQM devs have been slowly-but-surely tilting it in the direction of being a souped-up PC version for a long time now, with the option to turn on 3DOish features.

Which is to say that it makes the prospect of buying 1+2 from GOG much less appealing, unless you dig the simplicity of SC1's ship-to-ship combat. I'd recommend that folks spend the $2.99 instead on Starflight 1+2, of which Star Control II is very much a spiritual descendant.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I hate to be "that guy," but discovering that SCII had a very strict time limit, and that it wasn't this big open ended galaxy to explore totally killed it for me.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

I hate to be "that guy," but discovering that SCII had a very strict time limit, and that it wasn't this big open ended galaxy to explore totally killed it for me.

Then play without it :)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/uqm-mods/files/De-Cleansing%20Mod/0.7.0/uqm-0.7.0-dcm.zip/download

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!
My favorite thing about this sale is that it's still going on for like 3 more weeks, so I'm probably going to get every game I'm kinda interested in on the site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

How can both Little Big Adventure games get top reviews and ratings? What am I missing out on here? The screenshots look like a downright mess of.. I'm not even sure what it's supposed to be? It's an RPG of sorts, but.. Yeah, what gives?