Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I remember doing that as a kid back in the day when all my relatives played tag. Man, that was the best poo poo ever, we took turns going through stages since we turned character select on for that. We were like proper scrubs that just threw poo poo out into the open and talked so much poo poo about each other.

That is like one of the best things you can do on a hot day in Dubai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Capcom's releasing a retail collection of eight XBLA games - SF2HDR's on there, Puzzle Fighter's on there, Final Fight: Double Impact and Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 are on there, some other lame stuff's on there too. $40, releases in "spring". Decent deal for anyone who hasn't got HDR, I guess.

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)
I tried to watch a Umvc3 stream when a friend told me about a good Chris player, but I just can't sit through bad commentating anymore. for 5-10 minutes it was just about some guys having a SoCal circle jerk or how they stroll around uncanny valley SoCal and getting high/doing nothing afterwards while a match was going on; to add insult to injury, some guy asks if he should get drunk to the stream (I get the idea it was a joke, but don't be a dumb frat guy about it). If people try to make the scene an "esport," they really gotta step up the commentating because each stream is getting worse.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Schmendrick posted:

I tried to watch a Umvc3 stream when a friend told me about a good Chris player, but I just can't sit through bad commentating anymore. for 5-10 minutes it was just about some guys having a SoCal circle jerk or how they stroll around uncanny valley SoCal and getting high/doing nothing afterwards while a match was going on; to add insult to injury, some guy asks if he should get drunk to the stream (I get the idea it was a joke, but don't be a dumb frat guy about it). If people try to make the scene an "esport," they really gotta step up the commentating because each stream is getting worse.

In all honesty, those who watch these streams essentially already know what's going on. I feel like the commentary at this point is just for extra entertainment that adds to the match your already watching.

There's a reason why people like listening to Chris Hu and Aquasilk commentate. Or even Jaha.

They're just added entertainment to the already exciting world of fighting games!

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
For big events there is definitely commentary that aims to be more insightful. For weeklies or small local tournaments/gatherings, don't expect anything more than people loving around on the mic.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I wish all commentary was by chris hu and silk so no one ever started to take things too seriously

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
Add more salt~

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Continuing the discussion from the let's watch thread:

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

There being more stick manufacturers is good for everyone, regardless if there are any differences other than purely cosmetic ones. Prices will have to be more competitive, player sponsorships will have to be more competitive, and more companies will be bidding against each other for tournament sponsorships making the pots bigger. The cross-pollination of simply having the sticks on the websites of brands traditionally associated with PC gaming may also drum up more interest or even participation in the FGC.

I hope Razer is just the first of many.
More sticks definitely means all of these things, I just hope companies start adding features instead of just stamping their names on to sticks without changing much about them. That's what rubs me the wrong way with the Razer stick.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Again, the whole ease-of-access to the insides of the stick is something new to non-custom arcades, isn't it? Thing is, what sort of "features" would you add? I can't think of anything that'd be useful.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

scuz posted:

More sticks definitely means all of these things, I just hope companies start adding features instead of just stamping their names on to sticks without changing much about them. That's what rubs me the wrong way with the Razer stick.

1) Opens without tools right? (not unique, but not true of TE, etc)
2) Maybe doesn't have terrible art on top
3) Might not have a lovely PCB (PS3 madcatz PCB doesn't work with OHCI USB controllers, 360 ones had dead button problems on early ones

No mainstream mfg will touch the cross-platform compatibility issue (legal reasons presumably), so other than that I'm not sure what major feature they need to innovate. I'd love to see cases with built-in space inside to hold some spare parts (Without being a VLX).

Edit: Regarding pricing, there is an absolute floor to how low they can go (I'm not claiming they're there). Anyone have any idea what Sanwa/Seimitsu parts effectively cost wholesale? Also when the devices are rock solid (if not, why would you buy them at any price?) and the replacement parts come from a third party company (sanwa, etc), I think it ceases to be practical after a certain point to expect the stick manufacturers to keep dropping prices and cutting their own margins.

Fayk fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 15, 2011

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

scuz posted:

It has a bunch of new features. I think you are thinking on too large of a scale here.

An arcade stick is supposed to be the control panel of an arcade cabinet that is portable. Things like "a no-slip bottom surface" or "easy access top panel" actually are big features relative to what an arcade stick is.

Madcatz TE made manufacturers step up their game a great deal. Maybe in a year or so we won't have to check to be sure if sticks have common ground, quick disconnects, proper mounting height, headset jacks, etc. I don't think the Razer is as big of a deal as the Eightarc/QANBA offerings have been. They are taking away money from Hori and MadCatz and you know that everyone is going to have to bring out better offerings soon.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 15, 2011

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

40 OZ posted:

It has a bunch of new features. I think you are thinking on too large of a scale here.

An arcade stick is supposed to be the control panel of an arcade cabinet that is portable. Things like "a no-slip bottom surface" or "easy access top panel" actually are big features relative to what an arcade stick is.

Madcatz TE made manufacturers step up their game a great deal. Maybe in a year or so we won't have to check to be sure if sticks have common ground, quick disconnects, proper mounting height, headset jacks, etc.

They can't claim those are their innovations (no slip surface has been done by eightarc and/or qanba) and accessible top has been done by a few, including the (lol) MK stick.

That said,the stick that actually takes all the nice little things - even if they don't invent them - for their own will be really nice.

Hopefully they won't gently caress somehting obvious up. Is there any word if they ever picked their beta users/sites?

One area I'm hoping they don't mess up is cable management. Sticks like the SE where the cord comes right out of the stick are just waiting for that stress point to cause a short.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Fayk posted:

They can't claim those are their innovations (no slip surface has been done by eightarc and/or qanba) and accessible top has been done by a few, including the (lol) MK stick.

Yeah, and TBH I'm not sure if this stick actually has a no slip bottom?

I just hope that maybe we could see these features become standard as competition increases.

Right now, I don't see anybody touching the Eightarc sticks. However, sticks are a vanity item like a purse to many people, there are always people who will buy a different product just to be different/have a unique item.

edit- What I want is a stick with a slanted top and a smaller form factor. My favorite design is the old ps1 namco stick. I would love to see something like the Hori FS VX with a slant top and some of these new school features.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 15, 2011

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

^ ^ ^
I was gonna buy the Fusion stick because I want something for both systems. You'll see more Mad Cats stuff, since they're sponsoring every fighting game-related thing out there even if stick #6,969,969 is the same thing only with a different piece of graphic art.

Cizzo posted:

In all honesty, those who watch these streams essentially already know what's going on. I feel like the commentary at this point is just for extra entertainment that adds to the match your already watching.

There's a reason why people like listening to Chris Hu and Aquasilk commentate. Or even Jaha.

They're just added entertainment to the already exciting world of fighting games!

You can say the same for Football, but no one wants to hear Dennis Miller make a 30 minute joke involving Chaucer, Ron Jeremy, and the Vatican if it sucks or Madden's bad experience with a Philly cheese steak. Normally I like Hu, but the guy who asked the stream if he should get drunk/take shots was a tool even if he was joking.

quote:

For big events there is definitely commentary that aims to be more insightful. For weeklies or small local tournaments/gatherings, don't expect anything more than people loving around on the mic.

Even the big tourney events have horrible commentating now and then (the first half of the NorCal tourney in the summer bored me to tears).

Schmendrick fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 15, 2011

eSKAObar
Sep 27, 2003
Ask me about our everyday low prices!

Schmendrick posted:

Is he referring to UCI's AZ? That guy has a mean Chris. Also socal really does own and uncanny valley doesn't mean what you think it does. Throw the E-ball into the E-hoop

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

I really hope that Razer takes the development of this stick seriously and not cut corners like they are doing now. As of late, they have been making GBS threads the bed when it comes to quality control where you have a 50% chance that the product will last for years or just completely die within 30 minutes. The Razer Onza was hyped up beyond any controller in recent memory due to MLG banning for having macro buttons. I only seen people happy with it when they JUST got it followed by complaints is that buttons are sticking, triggers stop responding and the sticks just not working right.

Like it or not, Razer does have the image of being a brand with high quality among the PC crowd and has a big presence with their fan base. Some of my friends who are not hardcore into fighting games but regularly play with the idea of getting a stick for emulations. They put off by Mad Catz since they still believe everything they make is garbage, even though they seen me with my Round 1 TE with no issues since 2009. They would get a Razer stick since they used Razer mice before and not aware of the quality problems they are having right now. They are waiting to get the Razer stick even though the market has so many they can get now.

I really would like Razer to do well with these sticks since they would start sponsoring people and tournaments for advertising. I hope they pick the right people for their testing, and take the feedback in the right ways so there is more competition for high quality sticks rather than a pump and dump piece of crap. If Razer gets it right, I can see Steelseries and other PC gaming companies jumping on-board and developing their own for the market.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
This is goony as hell but I'd like to see a fightstick with a big hand-drying fan on it, like the kind bowling alleys use.

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

What I really want to see in the stick business is customization like the option to pay more if you want the stick to be used for both systems, and the stick colors without having to do that on your own. 8arc is going the right direction with making/selling Fusion and Qanba sticks (they will change buttons for you if I read an e-mail from them right because I wanna get an Ivory Fusion with purple/red buttons and ball top). Of course if you want to put a picture of your favorite anime girl or Juri in a bikini like some SoCal loser nerds, you're on your own.

I'm a little surprised no one's capping on pads for people who want to go that route* without Ebaying for a Saturn pad. Yea, sticks will always be preferred, but a pad with a decent d-pad controller with a 6 button layout for $40-60 would be nice (Madcats fight pads are atrocious, and once a pdp stick goes awry, good luck using it in a game like KoF).

*Could someone link the converter/adapter that lets you use a PS3 pad on the 360 that was posted earlier?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Fayk posted:

That said,the stick that actually takes all the nice little things - even if they don't invent them - for their own will be really nice.

Hopefully they won't gently caress somehting obvious up. Is there any word if they ever picked their beta users/sites?

One area I'm hoping they don't mess up is cable management. Sticks like the SE where the cord comes right out of the stick are just waiting for that stress point to cause a short.
Razer has always been pretty good about listening to their testers; they're their bread-and-butter after all.

What about a retractable cable with a safety to keep it from reeling back in when you don't want it to? That'd be pretty slick. Combine that with the also-slick Link shaft and you've got a joystick that you can carry around in a satchel/manpurse, drat near.

Compact, high-weight sticks. Make it happen, someone.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Schmendrick posted:

I'm a little surprised no one's capping on pads for people who want to go that route* without Ebaying for a Saturn pad. Yea, sticks will always be preferred, but a pad with a decent d-pad controller with a 6 button layout for $40-60 would be nice (Madcats fight pads are atrocious, and once a pdp stick goes awry, good luck using it in a game like KoF).

*Could someone link the converter/adapter that lets you use a PS3 pad on the 360 that was posted earlier?

Well, Hori pads are supposed to be pretty good - I'm still waiting to test mine, it's at my parents' house.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Schmendrick posted:

I would be interested in seeing an adapter for this as well.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Soulcleaver posted:

This is goony as hell but I'd like to see a fightstick with a big hand-drying fan on it, like the kind bowling alleys use.

Unless you really to keep your crotch dry at all time, I have no idea where you put fans on it or why for that matter. Mad Catz has a Air Flo controller with that idea, but the drat thing is noisy and the air flow to your hands is minimum.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Schmendrick posted:

PS2, I'm not certain there are any zero-lag tested PS3->360 converters.

http://etokki.com/Xbox360/Xtokki360

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

scuz posted:

Razer has always been pretty good about listening to their testers; they're their bread-and-butter after all.

What about a retractable cable with a safety to keep it from reeling back in when you don't want it to? That'd be pretty slick. Combine that with the also-slick Link shaft and you've got a joystick that you can carry around in a satchel/manpurse, drat near.

Compact, high-weight sticks. Make it happen, someone.

We have yet to see what their tester selection process is, in any case. I work in QA professionally and actually know a fair bit more more about USB than the average Joe. Will I be picked? Probably not. That alone doesn't even guarantee I even though be picked, though - it depends what they're trying to flush out with the testing. Failures? Feature requests? Compatibility issues? Hopefully they'll just cast a wide enough net that they get some decent users, even if they pick them blindly.

Razer quality has always been hit/miss in my experience. I've owned several of their products over the years, and while I've actually liked using them, I've always found them to manifest a failure of some kind (such as a button going bad, or more complicated issues) in just over a year. I'm normally pretty careful, too. Contrast that with some logitech hardware (I used to love the [original] trackman marble) I have - several units - that are still functional after 10 years of use.

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Like it or not, Razer does have the image of being a brand with high quality among the PC crowd

Not really, Razer has the reputation of selling poorly made products, but their stuff attracts the masses because it looks flashy.

Also, they have two of the very few mice with flawless sensors in the market (DA and Abyssus, along with the old Microsofts and the new CoollerMaster), so they attract the most hardcore crowd two.

Hopefully their sticks will be more sturdy knowing they aren't even manufacturing the stick and buttons.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010

40 OZ posted:

PS2, I'm not certain there are any zero-lag tested PS3->360 converters.

http://etokki.com/Xbox360/Xtokki360
I can confirm this works. I've been feeling masochistic/silly lately so I bought a classic Namco stick (looks like this). By the way. The Namco Stick is pretty good, but I still think I'd like to try something with more modern parts. Maybe I'll throw in at least some seimitsu buttons...

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

Schmendrick posted:

What I really want to see in the stick business is customization like the option to pay more if you want the stick to be used for both systems, and the stick colors without having to do that on your own. 8arc is going the right direction with making/selling Fusion and Qanba sticks (they will change buttons for you if I read an e-mail from them right because I wanna get an Ivory Fusion with purple/red buttons and ball top). Of course if you want to put a picture of your favorite anime girl or Juri in a bikini like some SoCal loser nerds, you're on your own.

There is a company that does this, and its called Arcade in a Box

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

ImperialGuard posted:

The Namco Stick is pretty good

Treat that stick nicely. It is the greatest stick ever produced.

The joystick is hori parts which yeah its not Sanwa but its godlike compared to the hori house joystick these use today.

The buttons use a top tier microswitch and are just as good as anything Sanwa/Semeitsu have produced. Of course, these sticks are old as heck now so the switches might not be as nice as when it was new.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 16, 2011

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

There is a company that does this, and its called Arcade in a Box

Just wanna say that AIAB sticks are the best joysticks I've ever used. Reverge Labs just got the sticks for the 7th and 8th Skullgirls character:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Is the eighth Skullgirls character naked? :ohdear:

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I hate you, Jmcrofts. :saddowns:

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

flatluigi posted:

Might as well be at this point.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

No but she's a secret :keke:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jmcrofts posted:

No but she's a secret :keke:

Is she another zoning character please say yes I suck at charge characters and playing Parasoul/Peacock will leave an empty hole in my soul.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Ryaomon posted:

Might as well be at this point.

Ha! I get it! It's because by arbitrarily insinuating some sort of anti-female agenda on part of the designers in spite of evidence to the contrary, you can make people angry for your own amusement! What a clever post!

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

Dias posted:

Is she another zoning character please say yes I suck at charge characters and playing Parasoul/Peacock will leave an empty hole in my soul.

Is Peacock and charge character???

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

No.

And My lips are sealed tight on the 8th character, sorry guys! (it's wesker)

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008

Jmcrofts posted:

No.

And My lips are sealed tight on the 8th character, sorry guys! (it's wesker)

Oh thank god

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Broken Loose posted:

Ha! I get it! It's because by arbitrarily insinuating some sort of anti-female agenda on part of the designers in spite of evidence to the contrary, you can make people angry for your own amusement! What a clever post!

What the gently caress is a joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

Parasoul is, I should've made my post clearer.

• Locked thread