Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
This is probably the most dangerous incident, but not the first time they've caused property damage. Wasn't the build crew also involved in a myth that blew out windows of a house or houses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

ToastyPotato posted:

This is probably the most dangerous incident, but not the first time they've caused property damage. Wasn't the build crew also involved in a myth that blew out windows of a house or houses?

Yeah they had it in one of their recent specials, about how they can never go back to some town or other.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

Crackpipe posted:

Yeah, the Discovery special on crab fisherman that aired years ago was a million times better than any reality show, though I believe a goon pointed out the same production company ended up making "Deadliest Catch".

I think that was me. There's a really small circle of companies that seem to make everything on discover, tlc, history, a&e, travel channel, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_Productions
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilgrim_Films_%26_Television
http://www.leftfieldpictures.com/projects.php
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cineflix

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Luigi Thirty posted:

I hope you're all watching this show on National Geographic about some fat douchebag who takes medieval fair jousting way too seriously. 2 hours of rooting for people to get mangled on your TV.

If you can believe it that douchebag is an ex-Navy Seal and yeah, he takes everything too seriously. The drama feels scripted and the injuries exaggerated but goddamn, getting hit by one of those lances has to hurt. Like someone else said, I just skip everything but the jousting which thankfully takes up most of the show.

Radio Nowhere posted:

Didn't catch that but caught a promo for "Moonshiners".

It's an awful, awful, show. I watched the premiere and the fakeness is painfully obvious.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

wormil posted:

If you can believe it that douchebag is an ex-Navy Seal and yeah, he takes everything too seriously. The drama feels scripted and the injuries exaggerated but goddamn, getting hit by one of those lances has to hurt. Like someone else said, I just skip everything but the jousting which thankfully takes up most of the show.

The jousting is pretty hardcore, the European jousters wont compete in the heavy armor league due to the danger. Most jousting leagues use balsa lances, these guys use drilled dowel rods which still aren't authentic but they are quite dangerous. Seriously, seeing someone get hit hard enough to do a backflip off of a horse is enough to make me watch it.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

wormil posted:

It's an awful, awful, show. I watched the premiere and the fakeness is painfully obvious.

But but but they might get caught by da gubbermint! *puts full name and job on TV show*

I know the old guy, Popcorn (?), has been on like every moonshine documentary ever.

pixel terrorist
Jan 27, 2011

explosivo posted:

Did anybody catch Weed Wars this week? I just saw a commercial for it, looks interesting but I wonder whether they'll portray it as a legitimate business or "Haha these people are soo high!"

I watched this show for the first time and I am conflicted over it. On one hand, as I see the compassionate use and distribution of the cannabis for medicinal purposes, I can't help but laugh at some of the TV shows participants. They definitely have huge aspirations as I don't think anyone has the gonads to, according to the federal government, sell an illegal substance on TV. In my opinion the people of Oakland, as well as Colorado, are pioneers. The owners and employees of Harborside Health Care
Co-Op are pioneers as well, but I can't help but wonder if "Uncle Fed" or "Cousin D.E.A" will step in.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

To the surprise of absolutely no one, it was those muppets on the build team that hosed up and shot a cannon at a house:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/12/07/BAN31M9Q81.DTL

quote:

Savage and Hyneman were not present at the Alameda County bomb ordnance range - which the show has used for years and is nearly 1,000 yards west of the Shetty home - when the cannon fired at 4:15 p.m. Tuesday.

They said the three other stars of the show - Tory Belleci, Kari Byron and Grant Imahara - had been "calibrating" a homemade cannon, firing a ball made of either steel or cast iron into water barrels and a brick wall to make sure it had the same power as a historical cannon.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:
So, the question is: Is "muzzle lift" actually A Thing, and this really was a freak, fluke accident, or is that a nice code for "someone hosed up the calibration"?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And I just saw in the GBS thread that, when it came to walking around the neighbourhood with their hats in their hands to eat poo poo over the incident, guess who got the job?

Not the build team that's for sure. Jamie and Adam had to do it. I know they're the main stars of the show, but goddamn I'd be seriously pissed off if someone else hosed up huge and I had to go and grovel apologies over it.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

I know this thread is virtually the Mythbusters/Deadliest Catch thread, but the new season of Dirty Jobs just started airing every Tuesday.

It's one of my guilty pleasures.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Season opener was pretty boring. Actually it was REALLY boring. Like two of the jobs normally tacked on to an episode with a more interesting job in front of it.

Karthillion
Mar 18, 2006
Philanthropists Anonymous

ToastyPotato posted:

Season opener was pretty boring. Actually it was REALLY boring. Like two of the jobs normally tacked on to an episode with a more interesting job in front of it.

They've been saying they're running out of jobs for years. Have you submitted any ideas?

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Time to transition the show to "clean jobs" Mike in a tyvek suit in clean room after clean room.

Karthillion
Mar 18, 2006
Philanthropists Anonymous

Thumposaurus posted:

Time to transition the show to "clean jobs" Mike in a tyvek suit in clean room after clean room.

As long as he keeps making fun of Barsky.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Karthillion posted:

They've been saying they're running out of jobs for years. Have you submitted any ideas?

They pretty much covered everything I've ever heard of early on, most of the stuff they've done in the last few season were either things I wouldn't have thought were Dirty Jobs, or things I didn't even know existed.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

They pretty much covered everything I've ever heard of early on, most of the stuff they've done in the last few season were either things I wouldn't have thought were Dirty Jobs, or things I didn't even know existed.

"Things I didn't even know existed" is more interesting to me than the "dirty" aspect of the job.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

They should just go back to that monkey sanctuary or whatever it was in Africa. That was hilarious.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sand Monster posted:

They should just go back to that monkey sanctuary or whatever it was in Africa. That was hilarious.

That disaster of an episode will never not be funny.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

"Things I didn't even know existed" is more interesting to me than the "dirty" aspect of the job.

Sure, but fish eggs was boring. I'm sorry. So was the goat. There have been other animal jobs that were way more interesting, like chasing chickens in Miami, or geese in that field, or him at the pig farm, or with the camels, or the llamas. It was just a really weak episode.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

And I just saw in the GBS thread that, when it came to walking around the neighbourhood with their hats in their hands to eat poo poo over the incident, guess who got the job?

Not the build team that's for sure. Jamie and Adam had to do it. I know they're the main stars of the show, but goddamn I'd be seriously pissed off if someone else hosed up huge and I had to go and grovel apologies over it.

I'd imagine it's left Discovery open to some pretty big lawsuits as well. They're lucky nobody got killed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DJExile posted:

I'd imagine it's left Discovery open to some pretty big lawsuits as well. They're lucky nobody got killed.

Like was said in the GBS thread, the fact that they fired off the cannon in a police-controlled bomb range, surrounded by safety officers and cops of all kinds watching them, and with all their permits and insurance paperwork in order will go a long way towards defending them.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

Sure, but fish eggs was boring. I'm sorry. So was the goat. There have been other animal jobs that were way more interesting, like chasing chickens in Miami, or geese in that field, or him at the pig farm, or with the camels, or the llamas. It was just a really weak episode.
That pig farm episode is hilarious, one of my favourites.

I think half the success is a result of the people he works with, not the job itself. The episode about billboard installation should be completely mundane, but the guys he was working with made it entertaining.

FogHelmut posted:

Me too, especially if it's something I take for granted like our sewer system or garbage disposal.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Toucan Sam posted:

The jousting is pretty hardcore, the European jousters wont compete in the heavy armor league due to the danger. Most jousting leagues use balsa lances, these guys use drilled dowel rods which still aren't authentic but they are quite dangerous. Seriously, seeing someone get hit hard enough to do a backflip off of a horse is enough to make me watch it.

Last episode they switched to a different type of lance, thinner, wrapped like a candy cane with a balsa wood tip and different point rules. I can't blame them but still it takes away some of the excitement. I would like to see them drop the knight act and use some hi-tech materials to make armor. If they really want to make it a modern 'sport' and not just hardcore medieval exhibition they need to bring the armor into the 21st century.

Radio Nowhere posted:

But but but they might get caught by da gubbermint! *puts full name and job on TV show*

I know the old guy, Popcorn (?), has been on like every moonshine documentary ever.

Don't remember where I read it but one of the LEOs in the show posted in a blog that everything was simulated. It was obvious it was fake but he confirmed it.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

wormil posted:

Don't remember where I read it but one of the LEOs in the show posted in a blog that everything was simulated. It was obvious it was fake but he confirmed it.

I finally caught a few episodes of Moonshiners since they had a marathon of old episodes, and it is seriously the laziest show ever. Before and after every commercial break they have to preview/recap what will/has happened. They're fairly lengthy too (at least compared to the other shows that do the same thing). Is the footage with Popcorn Sutton even filmed for the show? It looks like it came from another documentary or something.

I bet you could easily edit them down to 30 minutes with no loss in content. I can't see there being a second season, unless they plan on documenting te one guy's effort to go legit.

I saw some previews for "Bering Sea Gold" too. They played up how dangerous it is, but they appear to be dredging on a beach in relatively shallow water. Then again, you can see a guy get hit by an excavator as its turning on a barge. I'll probably check it out, hopefully there's more content then Moonshiners.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

LordOfThePants posted:

I finally caught a few episodes of Moonshiners since they had a marathon of old episodes, and it is seriously the laziest show ever. Before and after every commercial break they have to preview/recap what will/has happened. They're fairly lengthy too (at least compared to the other shows that do the same thing). Is the footage with Popcorn Sutton even filmed for the show? It looks like it came from another documentary or something.

Popcorn Sutton died almost 3 years ago, he committed suicide to avoid a prison term for moon-shining and weapon possession; it would be pretty weird for a Discovery channel show to have been in production for that long. I've never watched the show, but his footage was probably shot for the documentary 'The Last One', which is a pretty good and relaxing watch.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Since the last season is up on Netflix and I missed it when it was on Discovery, I just finished watching the last season of Deadliest Catch.

Does anyone know if the Cornelia Marie went out for Opilio? The last thing on their website is from November 25 saying they skipped red crab season this year. It sounds like the guy that drove the boat for opies last year is back, so hopefully they make it out.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
It may be pretty obvious that Dirty Jobs is running out of jobs, and the show might be getting a little boring, but it was really awesome for me to see my hometown on there. Kind of cool seeing the guys from the Knights of Revelry Mardi Gras Krewe have a feature about their cow bladder inflation for Folly tonight, and last week on "Barber's Assistant," that was my actual barber Johnny. Most interesting guy I've ever met.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Kwik posted:

So, the question is: Is "muzzle lift" actually A Thing, and this really was a freak, fluke accident, or is that a nice code for "someone hosed up the calibration"?

Yes, muzzle lift is a real condition. If firing in a straight line then a gun (or cannon) will recoil back at you and in general something is in the way to prevent the gun from going straight backwards. Depending on how the weapon is secured and the angle it's fired, the muzzle can lift before the projectile is even out of the barrel simply by the force of the recoil.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

LordOfThePants posted:

Since the last season is up on Netflix and I missed it when it was on Discovery, I just finished watching the last season of Deadliest Catch.

Does anyone know if the Cornelia Marie went out for Opilio? The last thing on their website is from November 25 saying they skipped red crab season this year. It sounds like the guy that drove the boat for opies last year is back, so hopefully they make it out.

I don't don't think it's gone out since last season, but I don't start really looking for any info until closer to summer.

MoonTuna
Feb 11, 2011

by angerbot

Doronin posted:

It may be pretty obvious that Dirty Jobs is running out of jobs, and the show might be getting a little boring, but it was really awesome for me to see my hometown on there. Kind of cool seeing the guys from the Knights of Revelry Mardi Gras Krewe have a feature about their cow bladder inflation for Folly tonight, and last week on "Barber's Assistant," that was my actual barber Johnny. Most interesting guy I've ever met.

Just watched the show on the medical waste episode. A whole hour for one job? It wasn't even good, just put stuff in a bucket to get shredded, and wash buckets. I think this show has run its course. I haven't watched discovery in weeks because it is really lackluster.

The science channel outclasses everything by a factor of 10, plus they are having a 2 day how it's made marathon soon. No paid programming on the science channel either, 3 am, and they are showing programs about how black holes are eating and creating space. Good stuff.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I'm watching this new(?) show "First Week In" which takes the concept of a show like Jail and tells it from the inmate's perspective.

And I have to say that it is seriously depressing.

Certainly some of the people they follow have done really bad things (like the guy who stabbed some woman near to death and got 30 years) but the show is good making them sympathetic. Like the kid who got arrested for stealing gas and having 1 ecstasy pill who couldn't call anyone because he didn't have money on his account for a phone card and had to wait 4 days for the chaplain to call his dad.

Also, one of the shooting locations is Maricopa County and while I hate to give them publicity, you can see how much worse their jails are vs. the others.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Zero One posted:

I'm watching this new(?) show "First Week In" which takes the concept of a show like Jail and tells it from the inmate's perspective.

I watched a little bit of an episode about a lawyer serving six months. Missed the beginning of why he was there but it seemed to have something to do with child support and contempt of court. Looks like a good show.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
According to facebook, they are shooting new a new Survivorman Series right now. This time he's staying out for 10 years instead of 7. I cant wait to see the new episodes since it was always my favorite of all the survival shows.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Awesome! I hope you mean days and not years. Poor Les if years...

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm pretty much burned out on survival shows. A show where someone spent months in the woods would be awesome.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

wormil posted:

I'm pretty much burned out on survival shows. A show where someone spent months in the woods would be awesome.

Check out Alone in the Wilderness if you've never seen it. This guy retires and decides to build himself a cabin in the middle of nowhere Alaska where he lives on his own for the next 30 years. He filmed his day to day life to send to his family. They edited it all together. PBS plays it about once a year.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I didn't want to start a thread for it but Dirty Money on Green is a pretty good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Is anybody still watching Finding Bigfoot? It keeps getting progressively funnier with each episode as we delve further into what kinds of absolutely crazy poo poo these guys sincerely believe.

Tonight's episode was sort of a clip show mixed with a town hall-style meeting where the good people of the Ohio backwoods asked them questions. So far we've learned that:

• Bigfoots have tremendous brain power, because their heads are larger than ours, because that's how these things work
  • They're so smart that they actively identify and avoid camouflaged camera traps, so that's why it's so hard to photograph them
  • Deer are an important part of Bigfoot diets. Bigfoots typically break the deer's legs before killing it. So basically they get close enough to torture large animals instead of killing them in a single blow because ?. However, they're totally not dangerous to people!
  • Bigfoots also understand the concept of poison, so if you put out bait for them you have to take bites of it yourself so the Bigfoot sentry (oh yeah, they have sentries!) who is watching you knows that you haven't poisoned it.
  • With all the above in mind, the best defense against a Bigfoot is shining a light at it, because it bewilders them.

Very well-reasoned-out, insightful stuff from these experienced and sensible researchers.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 27, 2012

• Locked thread