Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Quick question, I just got a lot of Omaha Steaks as a christmas present from my work. I really love a nice, juicy steak but unfortunately my BBQ is put away for the winter. I was wondering if anyone had any slow-cooker or crock pot recipes for filet mignon or New York strips, preferably with bacon. I've looked around online but to no avail. Any ideas?

The reason there aren't any recipes for that kind of thing is that Filet Mignon is really expensive beef, and if you're going to stew it, you won't get results that are much better than if you'd just brought cheap braising steak. Apart from it being a pretty big waste of money, there's no reason why you can't stew it I guess.

quote:

The thing is cooking them in the pan either results in them being pink in the middle (ugh) or too dry. I figured slow cooker was the best way for them to be done and moist

If you seal the outside of the steak on high temperature for about 30 seconds per side, then cook it on a low heat for about 2-3 minutes each side, you should end up with medium well done steak which is neither. The exact times are fairly hard to gauge though, since they depend on the shape and thickness of the beef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
So my brother makes pies. Loves making pies. But he's constantly making them from recipes. I kinda want to push him into creating his own pies based on being able to pair flavors into something brand new. Just kinda see his ability to make awesome pies hindered by the fact that he only uses what he can find on the internet.

Here's my question: I don't have the Flavor Bible, and I've never seen one. Would he get good use out of it, specifically only for baking (because he doesn't cook otherwise)? Failing that, are there good cook books, tools, other type things I can get him for christmas?

Thanks in advance.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Anyone have a good recipe for peppermint stick ice cream? Can't figure out if I should use egg yolks or not.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Fremry posted:

So my brother makes pies. Loves making pies. But he's constantly making them from recipes. I kinda want to push him into creating his own pies based on being able to pair flavors into something brand new. Just kinda see his ability to make awesome pies hindered by the fact that he only uses what he can find on the internet.

Here's my question: I don't have the Flavor Bible, and I've never seen one. Would he get good use out of it, specifically only for baking (because he doesn't cook otherwise)? Failing that, are there good cook books, tools, other type things I can get him for christmas?

Thanks in advance.

I got a copy of the Flavor Bible in a Secret Santa and although all I've done is flip through, I could definitely see it being useful to him, but he might find it a bit unwieldy if all he does is bake dessert pies. I'm not aware of any books like that that are more focused on baking, someone else will have to chime in.

As far as tools, pie weights/a pie chain for blind baking probably would not go amiss, and you might pick up a "pie bird" for him - that was the other gift I got from my Santa. It's a little ceramic blackbird that you insert in pies that have a top crust to vent steam.

He might also like some small cookie cutters if he likes to do decorative stuff with his top crust/lattice. A pie shield is a nice and inexpensive item as well - it's a lightweight metal ring that goes over the pie while it's baking to prevent the crust from burning.

A deep-dish pie plate might not go amiss, if all he has are standard depth, or glass if he only has metal, etc. I absolutely love my deep-dish stoneware pie plate, and it was less than $40.

You could also make him a batch of vanilla sugar, all the hardcore baking enthusiasts I know love the stuff.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

RazorBunny posted:

I got a copy of the Flavor Bible in a Secret Santa and although all I've done is flip through, I could definitely see it being useful to him, but he might find it a bit unwieldy if all he does is bake dessert pies. I'm not aware of any books like that that are more focused on baking, someone else will have to chime in.

As far as tools, pie weights/a pie chain for blind baking probably would not go amiss, and you might pick up a "pie bird" for him - that was the other gift I got from my Santa. It's a little ceramic blackbird that you insert in pies that have a top crust to vent steam.

He might also like some small cookie cutters if he likes to do decorative stuff with his top crust/lattice. A pie shield is a nice and inexpensive item as well - it's a lightweight metal ring that goes over the pie while it's baking to prevent the crust from burning.

A deep-dish pie plate might not go amiss, if all he has are standard depth, or glass if he only has metal, etc. I absolutely love my deep-dish stoneware pie plate, and it was less than $40.

You could also make him a batch of vanilla sugar, all the hardcore baking enthusiasts I know love the stuff.

Thanks for all of the ideas. I'm still at a miss. He's got a set of red beans he uses for his pie weights, he doesn't like pie birds (he cuts the top crust), doesn't decorate the tops more than the slits he cuts/woven crust, and apparently my father is getting him an engraved pie-pan, so I'm poo poo up a creek. He's an ADD kid too, so everything has to be juuuuust right.

Edit: How about a kitchen scale? Think that would be a good idea for a pie baker?

Fremry fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 14, 2011

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Buy him some methylcellulose. It causes stuff to thicken when it is heated up. Used in pie fillings, it can keep them from boiling over onto the pretty crust. Perfect the spergin pie man.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Fremry posted:

Thanks for all of the ideas. I'm still at a miss. He's got a set of red beans he uses for his pie weights, he doesn't like pie birds (he cuts the top crust), doesn't decorate the tops more than the slits he cuts/woven crust, and apparently my father is getting him an engraved pie-pan, so I'm poo poo up a creek. He's an ADD kid too, so everything has to be juuuuust right.

Edit: How about a kitchen scale? Think that would be a good idea for a pie baker?

A scale would be a great gift if he doesn't have one.
It is a lot faster once you convert your recipes to weights to just weigh everything out than using cups and spoons, plus the ADD side will like that it is more consistent too.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Thumposaurus posted:

A scale would be a great gift if he doesn't have one.
It is a lot faster once you convert your recipes to weights to just weigh everything out than using cups and spoons, plus the ADD side will like that it is more consistent too.

Awesome. Any companies/models that people suggest?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fremry posted:

Salter makes a whole bunch of models that work just fine.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Fremry posted:

Most brands are fine. Make sure it has oz and gram readout, and a tare function. They should all have that. It is helpful if the display is far enough away from the measuring platform that it is possible to read the display when a large bowl is on top. You want something that can measure up to 5 lbs or so as a minimum.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
How is Ozeri as a company? They seem to have the best prices vs. functionality on Amazon?

Tin Foil
Aug 12, 2004
I bought some Indian bitter melons recently. I've only had experience using the Chinese variety. Are they pretty similar in taste and can I just cook them Chinese style? I'm pretty open to trying anything, so any ideas on how to use them would be appreciated. :)

Chewbacca Defense
Sep 6, 2009

High speed, low drag.
I went to a wholesale store and they have heavy duty aluminum pots and pans for really cheap. Will they work well on a glass top electric stove or are they best suited for a gas top?

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s
I have been trying to follow this recipe Cacio e Pepe Pasta but have been having a hard time with the sauce. After I have melted the butter I add the cheese and instead of making a nice creamy sauce the cheese melts into clumps and douse not thicken the sauce at all. I have tried making this dish twice. The first time I think I had the heat way too high but the second time I made sure to take it slow and add the cheese gradually. Is it because I bought pre shredded cheese? Any other things to try?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sound_man posted:

I have been trying to follow this recipe Cacio e Pepe Pasta but have been having a hard time with the sauce. After I have melted the butter I add the cheese and instead of making a nice creamy sauce the cheese melts into clumps and douse not thicken the sauce at all. I have tried making this dish twice. The first time I think I had the heat way too high but the second time I made sure to take it slow and add the cheese gradually. Is it because I bought pre shredded cheese? Any other things to try?

Yes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Shredded cheese usually has cellulose added to keep the shreds from sticking to each other. This cellulose prevents it from melting properly.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would probably try to melt that with the residual heat. Just melting cheddar like that has a high chance of it breaking.

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s
Thanks, next time I'm at the store Ill buy a block of it.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
How long do chestnuts keep for?

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones
I made some canned fruit stuff (plum compote, pear chutney) a couple months ago and I have greater than 1/4" headspace in some of the jars, more like 1/2". Are these still safe to eat? They're sealed tight and have not discolored.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

A jargogle posted:

How long do chestnuts keep for?

Forever. They'll taste bad after a year or so though.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

kiteless posted:

I made some canned fruit stuff (plum compote, pear chutney) a couple months ago and I have greater than 1/4" headspace in some of the jars, more like 1/2". Are these still safe to eat? They're sealed tight and have not discolored.

Smell em. If they smell fermented or off, they're probably bad. But my guess would be that they're fine.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm looking for some Heavy Cream in Western Canada. Sadly nothing is labeled as such up here, and I'm not wanting to randomly guess. What MF% is Heavy Cream? And is whipping cream just Heavy Cream under a different name?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'm looking for some Heavy Cream in Western Canada. Sadly nothing is labeled as such up here, and I'm not wanting to randomly guess. What MF% is Heavy Cream? And is whipping cream just Heavy Cream under a different name?

Cream names are weird everywhere. Just use whipping cream.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
I've never mailed baked goods (and probably won't because Im super paranoid) but what is the best way to ship em and what are the chances they go bad...? I made those popular GBS oreo truffles which is mostly oreo+ cream cheese and I assume sending that will be a no go from the cream cheese. What about cake balls- stuff that has been baked? Im glancing at this recipe: http://www.sporkorfoon.com/spork_or_a_foon/2011/12/12-days-of-christmas-cookies-day-7-nutella-filled-christmas-cake-balls.html

How fast a shipping am I looking at to get baked goods properly into far away hands? And won't they get tumbled/tossed?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Cake normally doesn't ship well but the frosting shells should help it keep. How far away are we talking?

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Forever. They'll taste bad after a year or so though.

If you'd prefer, I could have rephrased to "What would the length of time be that would be neccessary for it to no longer be desirable for one who could be described as human owing to various of his characteristics indicating that said conclusion would most likely be correct to consume chestnuts, desirability in this case being predicated on taste, texture aroma and lack of ill health causing bacteria"

(I'm assuming 1 year was the serious answer though, so thank you for that :))

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Chewbacca Defense posted:

I went to a wholesale store and they have heavy duty aluminum pots and pans for really cheap. Will they work well on a glass top electric stove or are they best suited for a gas top?

Are the bottoms of the pans flat? If so, they should work fine on any cooking surface.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

Are the bottoms of the pans flat? If so, they should work fine on any cooking surface.

Except on induction cooktops. Unless there's a layer of steel in there somewhere.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is there any advantage to having an induction cook top, assuming you're using glass and not dumb enough to burn yourself

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Jose posted:

Is there any advantage to having an induction cook top, assuming you're using glass and not dumb enough to burn yourself

Glass top stoves suck except for cleaning, or do you mean using glass cookware?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Jose posted:

On an induction range only the pot itself gets hot. They heat up super fast too.
We have some in the kitchen I work in and when giving tours the Chef used to ask the guest for a $20 bill he'd put it under the pot and turn the burner on. Water would boil bill would be fine.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knows a good minted lamb steak recipe? Last time I made it, I basically mixed mint and some mild herbs in oil and marinated the steaks in that overnight, but there was very little flavour, barring a very, very mild tingle of mint.

So if someone could suggest a good concoction which I could use to give a good bit of minty goodness to my lamb steaks, I would be indebted.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Experto Crede posted:

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knows a good minted lamb steak recipe? Last time I made it, I basically mixed mint and some mild herbs in oil and marinated the steaks in that overnight, but there was very little flavour, barring a very, very mild tingle of mint.

So if someone could suggest a good concoction which I could use to give a good bit of minty goodness to my lamb steaks, I would be indebted.

I'd make a reduction of chicken/lamb stock with little white wine and some (flamed) brandy, along with some herbs. Strain, add cream, reduce again and then but it in a blender with as much fresh mint as you find necessary. Strain again and add cold butter right before serving.

Chewbacca Defense
Sep 6, 2009

High speed, low drag.

Thumposaurus posted:

On an induction range only the pot itself gets hot. They heat up super fast too.
We have some in the kitchen I work in and when giving tours the Chef used to ask the guest for a $20 bill he'd put it under the pot and turn the burner on. Water would boil bill would be fine.

So, if stuff burns when it is left on the glass top, then it's not induction?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Thumposaurus posted:

The bill doesn't burn because a pot full of boiling water is 100 degrees and paper burns at 232, not because the bill doesn't get hot from being under it.

quote:

If you can turn on the hob and it gets hot when there's nothing on it, it's not induction.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

^^ :argh:

Chewbacca Defense posted:

yes. induction uses magnetic waves to induce current in your pot. this only works with pots that have ferrous material inside.

http://theinductionsite.com/how-induction-works.shtml

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

SuperGinger!
Sep 29, 2007
my hair burns with the fire of a thousand suns
I want to make this recipe tomorrow night, but I would dice the potatoes and add cornflakes on top. I was wondering if I could make this in the morning and bake it later in the evening? I know potatoes can turn funny colors after they're cut but I figure if I mix it before hand the soup will prevent discoloration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Experto Crede posted:

My step-grandmother used to purée fresh mint with oil and apple cider vinegar, and it was absolutely mouthwatering. She used it as a marinade and also as a sauce when the time came to serve.