Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Really, in this day and age having been ambassador to China should send his electability through the roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

jojoinnit posted:

Really, in this day and age having been ambassador to China should send his electability through the roof.

Ahahaha, you and your rational reasons for electing someone to governmental office.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

jojoinnit posted:

On pure experience, Huntsman should be the top candidate: Governor with conservative record, foreign policy experience as our Ambassador to our largest trade partner and potentially largest threat, and experience under three other Republican administrations. But all people hear is "ex-Governor, Mormon, 'moderate'" and they go "But I don't like Romney!"

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

No, see, he worked with Obama so he necessarily agrees with and supports everything Obama has ever done!

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

jojoinnit posted:

Duke 2000 2012!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Sarion posted:

On pure experience, Huntsman should be the top candidate: Governor with conservative record, foreign policy experience as our Ambassador to our largest trade partner and potentially largest threat, and experience under three other Republican administrations. But all people hear is "ex-Governor, Mormon, 'moderate'" and they go "But I don't like Romney!"

Second largest. Canada is our largest trade partner :eng101:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Huntsman also has the benefit of being the only Republican candidate who isn't insane or a hypocrit or both. Of course he's considered unelectable.

ts12
Jul 24, 2007

gnome7 posted:

Huntsman also has the benefit of being the only Republican candidate who isn't insane or a hypocrit or both. Of course he's considered unelectable.

I guess insane is a bit extreme of a label for Huntsman, but he's so far from moderate. He has some really out there economic plans but because he's not super bombastic and in your face he is a total non-factor in the election. That and Mitt Romney is still running.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

ts12 posted:

I guess insane is a bit extreme of a label for Huntsman, but he's so far from moderate. He has some really out there economic plans but because he's not super bombastic and in your face he is a total non-factor in the election. That and Mitt Romney is still running.

Well of course he's not a moderate. He's still definitely a conservative. He is also, however, completely sane and means what he says without irony or hypocrisy.

What I am saying is I kind of like Huntsman, he is a reasonable, possibly even good, candidate in a field of extremely scary ones.

ts12
Jul 24, 2007
That much is true. I struggle to actually dislike him because at least he means well :shobon:

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

ts12 posted:

That much is true. I struggle to actually dislike him because at least he means well :shobon:

In all likelihood he means well for himself and his friends. He is a multimillionaire "Washington insider", totally representative of the capitalist class.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44836853/ns/business-us_business/t/net-worth-gop-presidential-contenders/

Yes, he's the best of a bad bunch, the lesser evil, but still an evil.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Huntsman's tax plan is insanely regressive. Like frighteningly bad for the poor. He doesn't mean well.

ts12
Jul 24, 2007
I phrased that poorly. I think he's probably a nice guy in person but yeah his tax plan is outrageously bad. I think I'm so jaded in regards to the whole primary that a guy like Huntsman who at least doesn't outright call for the death of the poor is so relieving. I'd never support him or anything, it's just... nice. I guess.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Kavak posted:

Ahahaha, you and your rational reasons for electing someone to governmental office.

I don't think people realize what kind of position ambassador is. These ambassadorships are mostly cushy gigs giving speeches, shaking hands, and eating expensive dinners. There's an entire non-appointed staff under these guys that basically does their schedule, gives them token lessons in the local language, and tells them what to say at various events.

I had the occasion to meet the current ambassador to Japan, and about the only nice thing I can say about him is that I appreciated his candor. He basically said, "I did a bunch of favors for Obama during his presidential campaign, and so now I have this post. I didn't have any real experience with Japan before being named ambassador."

An ambassadorship on someone's political resume means more about their ability to schmooze and pull strings to get favors returned than anything about their knowledge of the region. So it's not surprising that Huntsman's mandarin wouldn't be fantastic.

The really sad part is that even with the shallowness of his actual credentials on China he still knows more about China than all the other GOP presidential candidates combined.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Z-Magic posted:

I get furious when it's the 25th of December and there are people not celebrating the birthday of the most important person to ever live.
Norman Borlaug was born on December 25th?

...oh. Yeah he's cool too I guess. :)

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

ErIog posted:

I don't think people realize what kind of position ambassador is. These ambassadorships are mostly cushy gigs giving speeches, shaking hands, and eating expensive dinners. There's an entire non-appointed staff under these guys that basically does their schedule, gives them token lessons in the local language, and tells them what to say at various events.

I had the occasion to meet the current ambassador to Japan, and about the only nice thing I can say about him is that I appreciated his candor. He basically said, "I did a bunch of favors for Obama during his presidential campaign, and so now I have this post. I didn't have any real experience with Japan before being named ambassador."

An ambassadorship on someone's political resume means more about their ability to schmooze and pull strings to get favors returned than anything about their knowledge of the region. So it's not surprising that Huntsman's mandarin wouldn't be fantastic.

The really sad part is that even with the shallowness of his actual credentials on China he still knows more about China than all the other GOP presidential candidates combined.

Well, it depends on the ambassadorship. For close allies like the UK, France, and Japan, it's a chushy gig because we get along. For tiny countries like say, Jamaica, it's also relatively chushy because no one cares. For a country as important and testy as China, I've been under the impression that those ambassadors have plenty of work to do.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Soylent Pudding posted:

Well, it depends on the ambassadorship. For close allies like the UK, France, and Japan, it's a chushy gig because we get along. For tiny countries like say, Jamaica, it's also relatively chushy because no one cares. For a country as important and testy as China, I've been under the impression that those ambassadors have plenty of work to do.

This is true, but my overall point is that I think people give too much credit to the political office that has the title of Ambassador. The people below the ambassador that are hired for their skills, I think, accomplish far more day to day without anyone ever knowing who they are. Some of these people have worked for the last 20 years with someone new being appointed as their "boss" every time the administration changes. The ambassador is the public face of what's going on, but I think most of the real decisions are made by people under them that have more experience and knowledge of the situation.

So I'll admit it's probably a different gig depending on the location, but the things I'm pointing out are part of the overall system and would apply to an ambassadorship in any country. I also think Huntsman has more China credentials than Roos has Japan credentials. I won't dispute that.

I just think Huntsman's credentials need to viewed within the context of what the office of ambassador really is as far as political offices go. It is a political office. I guarantee all the people that worked with Huntsman in China as aides are more qualified to be ambassador than he ever was, but since they aren't politicians magically they'll never be the ambassador to China.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 15, 2011

ts12
Jul 24, 2007
more of this rear end in a top hat.

click the pic for the article

(american studies majors are very real, I was considering becoming one! they aren't at all what this guy probably thinks they are though :ssh:)

just for those who are unaware, Tora Tora Tora is a fictionalized account of Pearl Harbor (it also was really bad) :lol: again, click for article

heh. WOMEN.

Kill me.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
I have a few friends who post bullshit conservative memes/images. It's usually not worth the drama of defriending them though - typically I just click to 'hide' their status updates. Solves all my problems.

I've blocked/defriended a few people though for completely egregious bullshit - no hesitation if I realistically never have to interact with that person in real life.

ts12
Jul 24, 2007
He's not my friend, mutual friend kind of thing. I just read his poo poo opinions out of some sick masochism or something idk

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Jay is what happens if a 12th century farmer was time-warped to today, found this wonderful Faced-Book device, and started just streaming whatever was on his mind.

"A HAIRCUT?! WITHOUT YOUR HUSBAND'S PERMISSION?! SELFISH WHORES!"

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

ts12 posted:

more of this rear end in a top hat.

Kill me.

This is the best one.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Wait. That commenter talked about "other marriages"...as in, this guy is married?

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

ErIog posted:

This is true, but my overall point is that I think people give too much credit to the political office that has the title of Ambassador.

Probably true, but it does give him more foreign policy credentials than say... Mitt Romney.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
I honestly never thought I'd read or hear the phrase 'solipsism of the female mind', much less in the context of a hair cut, but, well, here I am...

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Guilty posted:

I honestly never thought I'd read or hear the phrase 'solipsism of the female mind', much less in the context of a hair cut, but, well, here I am...

'Solipsism of the female mind' is the new 'Kantian Nihilism'.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Z-Magic posted:

'Solipsism of the female mind' is the new 'Kantian Nihilism'.
In a Kantian sense I'm somewhat nihilistic about the solipsism of the female mind.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Pfirti86 posted:

I have a few friends who post bullshit conservative memes/images. It's usually not worth the drama of defriending them though - typically I just click to 'hide' their status updates. Solves all my problems.

I've recently had to do this to my brother. His extreme right wing viewpoints and absolute hatred of muslims just got to be way too much. I've tried arguing with him, but figured it wasn't worth it.

ts12
Jul 24, 2007

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Wait. That commenter talked about "other marriages"...as in, this guy is married?

Oh boy are you in for a treat!!!

A picture he shared:

click the picture for the article

click for article

Yes, his son is named HROTHGAR

Our Ron Paul Men's Rights hero in person

I posted this earlier in the thread but if you didn't see it:

The Worst Person Alive posted:

Though, really, I'm sick of this bitching and moaning about how bad women in Africa have it.

Same guy:

quote:

Who I Am:
In no particular order:

I am a traditionalist. Gender roles exist for a reason, and that reason is sound. Exceptions to the rule are recognized as exceptions, and not alternative norms.

I prefer a primal diet.

I wear Vibrams.

I think 'The Fourth Turning' is one of the most compelling books I have ever read, and recommend it to anyone with questions about how and why society appears to be shifting dramatically.

I plan to have 13 children.

I am libertarian, and believe you should do with your life as you wish, but reserve the right to judge you for it.

I oppose intervention in the affairs of sovereign states.

I love my wife, and would choose her over any of my children. I believe that anyone who disagrees with the last statement doesn't take marriage seriously enough.

I am a patriarch. I am the center of authority for my family, and hold myself responsible for their well-being.I am a heretic to the Church, but believe I am a Christian. I believe the Bible to be a historical record, guided by those who knew God. I believe that Christ's coming was God's way of pushing us out of the nest. He gave us all the tools we needed to succeed in this world, and has left us to our own devices, hoping that we step up into moral adulthood. He no longer invests himself physically in our lives; we asked for a king in the Old Testament, and were given one despite His worries. We demanded remission of sins and eternal salvation without the structured mechanism of sacrifice. We are free individuals. I believe that no-fault divorce is government-backed fraud. The Church's general avoidance of condemning divorce in their congregations is a moral travesty, and undermines their moral authority.

I enjoy Jameson, craft beers, and cigars on occasion, without any trace of irony.

I prefer sons to daughters. Boys are straightforward. Girls are irritating. I reserve the right to recognize exceptions.

I use game on my wife. It works. I lack the ability to be a "true believer" of anything. I use generalizations, and see nothing wrong with that. I believe that people who trade freedom for security will have neither. I believe that people who trade freedom for better weather, shiny objects, or conveniences are insane. I will homeschool my children until they want to go to school. I will raise adults, not children.

I believe in the concept of Human Biodiversity.I find "fake" cuss words to be aggrevating and distasteful, as well as hypocritical.

I shy away from drugs, but recognize their ability to help people. I make no distinctions between OTC, prescription, or illegal drugs. I think that "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?" is the best piece of advice a father can gave to his daughter.

I think that "Following the leader without asking questions will lead you to trouble. Be the leader, if possible." is the best piece of advice a father can give his son. I think that "Read." is the best possible advice anyone can give or receive. I hope that all of you take the time to comment, even if it's just a word of acknowledgment. I'm not going to say that I don't care what you think about my beliefs, because I really DO care. That is not to say that your disagreement will cause me an existential crisis - I am firm in my beliefs, though I am open to changing them with exposure to logic and reason, or even cleverly formed emotional appeal.

I encourage you to question and challenge my beliefs. This goes for untagged people as well, since I'm only tagging enough people to expose this to people in those circles!

another guy posted:

‎"I use game on my wife. It works." Well, she's your wife, so apparently it did indeed work. You can probably stop now.

Jay posted:

Wrong. Stopping would be a mistake. What about getting married changes the fundamental ways we are attracted to those of the opposite sex? Absolutely nothing.

The game is modified slightly, of course. You don't get to be a complete rear end in a top hat, and you don't need to. Teasing is enough to remind her of her place. You also get to use inside jokes and references to embarrassing or personal events in public, without exposing her to the group. It's like having sex in a public place; you're just on the edge of being revealed, and that makes a woman hot. Getting married gives you even MORE opportunities to use game.

Jay posted:

[WIFE] and I have been stalking PUA and MRA sites for a couple years now. Ironically, she's the one who introduced me to most of them. We've generally shied away from the single guys and gals who post; the married ones have information that is far more applicable to us and to the people we usually interact with.

Jay's wife posted:

Yeah, PUA and MRA blogs, especially Roissy (heartiste.wordpress.com), convinced me NOT to reduce my market value by being a whore when I was in college. Started reading them around age 17. Yes, I was pursing a pretty aggressive career-oriented path for a while because I wanted a backup plan in case the marriage and kids thing didn't come fast enough, but my primary goal was always marriage and baby making. Apparently, I didn't make that very clear to friends and family, so everyone was shocked when I got married at 20 and had my first kid at 22. :P

But anyhow, in addition to building an awesome clan, as [HUSBAND] said, MY secondary goal is to impress upon my female friends and acquaintances the importance of sorting out their priorities NOW before they hit their mid to late twenties. Some of them already know deep in their bones that marriage and children are not for them, and that's fine, but others DO want both, but are going down a path that will very much cripple their chances. By the time they're 30, their chances will greatly be diminished to find quality mates and I'm trying to preempt all the "but the good guys are all taken!" bullcrap, followed by infertility woes. It does take some sacrifice in the short-term - mainly, not having incredibly "sexy" and exciting 20s - but the long-term benefits are immense.

ts12 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 15, 2011

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
DOOM SCIENCE

ts12
Jul 24, 2007

XyloJW posted:

DOOM SCIENCE

George Soros -> Chicago Politics -> Barack Obama

Net Neutrality -> Animals Have Equal Legal Rights

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

We should force women in the military to take birth control. An IUD is de facto abortion. Abortion is murder.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
So he's one of those guys who wants to live his life without interference, but has no qualms about telling everybody else how to live, and makes his life as public as possible.

Wait, he named is son "Hrothgar?"

And, what the gently caress does this mean?

DB posted:

I think that "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?" is the best piece of advice a father can gave to his daughter.

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 15, 2011

ts12
Jul 24, 2007

Armyman25 posted:

So he's one of those guys who wants to live his life without interference, but has no qualms about telling everybody else how to live, and makes his life as public as possible.

Wait, he named is son "Hrothgar?"

Yes. He is every possible awful thing on earth combined.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Why do you still get his feed again?

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Armyman25 posted:

And, what the gently caress does this mean?

It's every slut-shaming tactic wrapped up in one. Your sexuality is a commodity that you dispense like a cow dispenses milk; if you give away this commodity for free, people won't think it has any value and that is your fault.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

ts12 posted:

Net Neutrality -> Animals Have Equal Legal Rights

Yeah, it was either that there or DOOM SCIENCE that did it for me.

History books will look back and assert that Net Neutrality famously lead to animals having equal legal rights in 2009. That's why no one eats hamburgers or drinks milk anymore. Because of net neutrality.

ts12
Jul 24, 2007

Slaan posted:

Why do you still get his feed again?

ts12 posted:

He's not my friend, mutual friend kind of thing. I just read his poo poo opinions out of some sick masochism or something idk

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal
Posted on a friend's facebook today, this is full of material from poo poo-that-never-happened.txt

http://thecollegeconservative.com/2011/12/13/my-time-at-walmart-why-we-need-serious-welfare-reform/

The College Conservative posted:

My Time at Walmart: Why We Need Serious Welfare Reform
December 13, 2011 By crousselle 1,780 Comments

During the 2010 and 2011 summers, I was a cashier at Wal-Mart #1788 in Scarborough, Maine. I spent hours upon hours toiling away at a register, scanning, bagging, and dealing with questionable clientele. These were all expected parts of the job, and I was okay with it. What I didn’t expect to be part of my job at Wal-Mart was to witness massive amounts of welfare fraud and abuse. I did laugh at the bell pepper one though, is the author trying to imply that bell peppers are something other than food?

I understand that sometimes, people are destitute. They need help, and they accept help from the state in order to feed their families. This is fine. It happens. I’m not against temporary aid helping those who truly need it. What I saw at Wal-Mart, however, was not temporary aid. I witnessed generations of families all relying on the state to buy food and other items. I literally witnessed small children asking their mothers if they could borrow their EBT cards. I once had a man show me his welfare card for an ID to buy alcohol. The man was from Massachusetts. Governor Michael Dukakis’ signature was on his welfare card. Dukakis’ last gubernatorial term ended in January of 1991. I was born in June of 1991. The man had been on welfare my entire life. That’s not how welfare was intended, but sadly, it is what it has become.

Other things witnessed while working as a cashier included:

a) People ignoring me on their iPhones while the state paid for their food. (For those of you keeping score at home, an iPhone is at least $200, and requires a data package of at least $25 a month. If a person can spend $25+ a month so they can watch YouTube 24/7, I don’t see why they can’t spend that money on food.)

b) People using TANF (EBT Cash) money to buy such necessities such as earrings, kitkat bars, beer, WWE figurines, and, my personal favorite, a slip n’ slide. TANF money does not have restrictions like food stamps on what can be bought with it.

c) Extravagant purchases made with food stamps; including, but not limited to: steaks, lobsters, and giant birthday cakes.

d) A man who ran a hotdog stand on the pier in Portland, Maine used to come through my line. He would always discuss his hotdog stand and encourage me to “come visit him for lunch some day.” What would he buy? Hotdogs, buns, mustard, ketchup, etc. How would he pay for it? Food stamps. Either that man really likes hotdogs, or the state is paying for his business. Not okay.

The thing that disturbed me more than simple cases of fraud/abuse was the entitled nature of many of my customers. One time, a package of bell peppers did not ring up as food in the computer. After the woman swiped her EBT card, it showed a balance that equaled the cost of the peppers. The woman asked what the charge was, and a quick glance at the register screen showed that the peppers did not ring up as food. (Food items had the letter ‘F’ next to their description.) The woman immediately began yelling at me, saying that, “It’s food! You eat it!”

This wasn’t the only time things like this happened: if a person’s EBT balance was less than they thought it would be, or if their cards were declined, it was somehow my fault. I understand the situation is stressful, but a person should be knowledgeable about how much money is in their account prior to going grocery shopping. EBT totals are printed on receipts, and every cell phone has a calculator function. There’s no excuse, and there’s no reason to yell at the cashier for it.

The worst thing I ever saw at Wal-Mart Scarborough was two women and their children. These women each had multiple carts full of items, and each began loading them at the same time (this should have been a tip-off to their intelligence levels). The first woman, henceforth known as Welfare Queen #1, paid for about $400 worth of food with food stamps. The majority of her food was void of any nutritional value. She then pulled out an entire month’s worth of WIC (Women, Infants, and Children program) checks. I do not mind people paying with WIC, but the woman had virtually none of the correct items. WIC gives each participating mother a book containing actual images of items for which a person can and cannot redeem the voucher. This woman literally failed at image comprehension.

After redeeming 10+ WIC checks, Welfare Queen #1 had me adjust the prices of several items she was buying (Wal-Mart’s policy is to just adjust the price of the item without question if it’s within a dollar or two). She then pulled out a vacuum cleaner, and informed me that the cost of the vacuum was $3.48 because, “that’s what it’s labeled as.” The vacuum cleaner was next to a stack of crates that were $3.48. Somehow, every other customer was able to discern that the vacuum cleaner was not $3.48, but Welfare Queen #1 and her friend Welfare Queen #2 were fooled. Welfare Queen #2 informed me that she used to work for Wal-Mart, and that the “laws of Wal-Mart legally said” that I would have to sell her the vacuum for $3.48. After contacting my manager, who went off to find the proper vacuum price, Welfare Queen #1 remarked that it must be tough to stand on a mat all day and be a cashier. I looked at her, smiled, shrugged, and said, “Well, it’s a job.” She was speechless. After they finally admitted defeat, (not before Welfare Queen #2 realizing she didn’t have enough money to buy all of the food she had picked out, resulting in the waste of about $200 worth of products) the two women left about an hour and a half after they arrived at my register. The next man in line said that the two women reminded him of buying steel drums and cement. I said I was reminded why I vote Republican.

Maine has a problem with welfare spending. Maine has some of the highest rates in the nation for food stamp enrollment, Medicaid, and TANF. Nearly 30% of the state is on some form of welfare. Maine is the only state in the nation to rank in the top two for all three categories. This is peculiar, as Maine’s poverty rate isn’t even close to being the highest in the nation. The system in Maine is far easier to get into than in other states, and it encourages dependency. When a person makes over the limit for benefits, they lose all benefits completely. There is no time limit and no motivation to actually get back to work. Furthermore, spending on welfare has increased dramatically, but there has been no reduction of the poverty rate. Something is going terribly wrong, and the things I saw at work were indicators of a much larger problem. Something must change before the state runs out of money funding welfare programs.

We've got the usual suspects from the conservative welfare greatest hits: people with cell phones (why didn't they immediately sell every non-essential item when they started collecting TANF?!), people buying steaks (eat ramen and like it, lazy assholes!), and of course people being upset that their card didn't ring as expected, which in my years as a cashier I NEVER encountered with people not on welfare.

The one that jumped out at me the most though was the claim about someone have a "welfare card" from 1991. That strikes me as impossible, and though she doesn't say EBT card, she references them in other places and never mentions welfare cards again. If she meant EBT card here, then it's literally impossible because those didn't even exist until the late 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

ts12 posted:

Horror.

This guy is a literal monster, who would marry him? I unironically hope he gets metastatic pancreatic cancer and dies or maybe prostate cancer or something. Really he is a horrible human being.