Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

JaundiceDave posted:

That's a good question, and I'll call and ask. Even though their drum scans are cheap for drum scans, they're still pricey as gently caress, and if they can do this I'm sure it'll at least double the price.
http://www.nyu.edu/its/ams/prices/

God it must be so cool to have a competent lab around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Shot Portra 400 at 3200 tonight, I hope my lab does push processing.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

alkanphel posted:

Shot Portra 400 at 3200 tonight, I hope my lab does push processing.

What I've understood is that you do not need to push Portra 400. Underexpose by three stops (like you did), develop as normal, then print or scan some crazy-rear end negatives.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

nielsm posted:

What I've understood is that you do not need to push Portra 400. Underexpose by three stops (like you did), develop as normal, then print or scan some crazy-rear end negatives.
It's not what I would call ideal, but you can still get great images.

I posted this before, but - this was way underexposed, maybe two or three stops:

And this is what the negative looks like:

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Wait, can someone explain more about how to use portra400 outside its normal range? Underexpose instead of pushing, develop normally, get a hi def scan and just push the exposure in LR? Is that it?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

That's interesting, let's see what happens when I get the negs back from the lab then.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Elite Taco posted:

Wait, can someone explain more about how to use portra400 outside its normal range?

Shoot as required, develop normally, done.

Per Kodak, Portra has a fudge factor of -2 to +3 stops. Processed C-41, in that range you'll get what Kodak describes (not entirely euphemistically) as "usable" negatives. You may like them, you may hate them, they may or may not suit the particular subject matter, but they'll be usable for printing or scanning.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I had my last roll of portra processed at 400, and I exposed it at varying speeds from 200-3200 throughout the roll. All of the photos came out decently, although 3200 was pushing it a little.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
For the underexposed shots, are you just increasing exposure in post?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Elite Taco posted:

For the underexposed shots, are you just increasing exposure in post?

In scanning and/or post, yeah.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
More info on Kodaks new moving picture film, points to there being a new low speed (64 or 25?) colour negative film in the works perhaps?

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/About/The_Storyboard/4294969369/index.htm

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
http://www.landscapegb.com/2011/05/kodaks-new-portra-400-film/

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hahaha that poo poo's ridiculous.

I like portra because it gets me ISO 200 -> 1600 in the same canister. And I am lazy.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Dropped my first roll of film at cvs and the negatives came out too light, you can barely see individual frame lines. What went wrong? It was " Kodak 400 TMAX Professional ISO 400, 35mm, 36 Exposures, Black and White Film. The girl was obviously not trained properly so I really couldnt blame her.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The problem is you can't put TMAX through C-41 chemistry. Be grateful it worked as well as it did. If you want to do that you need Ilford XP-2 (better) or Kodak BW400CN film.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Ahh so cvs isnt capable of developing that? Makes sense. They gave me a roll of bw400cn for free so score i guess.

Edit : Anyone use a Epson 4490 scanner before, have the chance to pick one up for 50$. It seems to have good reviews.

ease fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 17, 2011

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It's OK, it is basically a last-gen Epson V500. I'm not sure if the 4490 has ICE, which can make scanning C-41 or slides a lot easier. The other thing is, if you ever think you even might start scanning medium format, you want an Epson V600/700/750. They have a much larger window so they scan many more negatives at once.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
Been a while since I posted anything. These are scans of some work prints I am in the process of enlarging

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

That 2nd shot is brilliant. Would look fantastic printed fairly big. Nice work!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Stupid person film question: I accidentally screwed up and opened the back of my film camera before I had completely rewinded the film. Luckily, most of it was rewound and I think only the first five or so exposures were not rewound into the canister. Are the rest of the shots going to be ok because they were in the canister, or have I completely lost the whole roll? Thanks!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Anything in the canister will be fine. Anything lying across the film gate and the first couple shots on the take-up spool will be toast though.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

HookShot posted:

Stupid person film question: I accidentally screwed up and opened the back of my film camera before I had completely rewinded the film. Luckily, most of it was rewound and I think only the first five or so exposures were not rewound into the canister. Are the rest of the shots going to be ok because they were in the canister, or have I completely lost the whole roll? Thanks!

Those in the canister should be more than fine, even those still on the take up spool might be okay with a little bit of light leaking if the film was still wound tight.

EDIT: Beaten!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Awesome, thanks guys! :)

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.
Well Im excited because I just found an old Polaroid 600 around the house and it appears to be in good working condition.

Im just recently back in country and I was wandering around Urban Outfitters and saw they are selling these polaroids now for what seems like redonkulous prices but there is also film available (for also rather redonkulous prices) but Im excited enough to try and by 24 shots or something.

So this 'impossible project' is the only go for polaroid film these days yeah?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Polaroid 600 film? Yeah, that or expired eBay film. If you can find a camera that takes peel apart packfilm, Fuji makes FP-100c which will work better than the

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

So I've been developing with DD-X, but I'm almost out and would like to try other developers. Can I use the stop bath (ilfostop) I already have or do I need to match developer and stop bath manufacturers?

Also, I know developer will go bad after a few months. Are stop bath and fixer subject to the same issue or are they good for a long time?

Does fixer matter as much as developer or is it cool to just use whatever?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Stop bath is a matter of preference and doesn't need to be matched up to developer (with no exceptions that I know of). Hell, you can use diluted vinegar for a stop bath if you want, or even just water. Though I assume that none of the simpler solutions are as effective at halting development immediately.

You should be fine with whatever you have.

I used water for the better part of a year and didn't have any problems. Then again I'm not a pro user or anything so if there was a problem I probably wouldn't have noticed.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Stop bath is a matter of preference and doesn't need to be matched up to developer (with no exceptions that I know of). Hell, you can use diluted vinegar for a stop bath if you want, or even just water. Though I assume that none of the simpler solutions are as effective at halting development immediately.

You should be fine with whatever you have.

I used water for the better part of a year and didn't have any problems. Then again I'm not a pro user or anything so if there was a problem I probably wouldn't have noticed.

Cool, thanks.

I've tried C-41 a couple times now and gotten pretty mixed results, so I decided to take a roll to a local lab and compare their results to mine ($4.04 for a roll of 120 seems pretty good). Anyway, I've been using a Yashica D which only has shutter speeds and aperture in full stop increments. When my light meter (iphone app, so who knows how accurate) tells me to use a shutter speed between two stops I just went with the faster one. I knew I'd get shots a bit underexposed, but it looks far worse than the <1 stop off it should be. I can fix it in photoshop and it ends up ok (except for some added noise).

Anyway below is a straight from the scanner and after edits samples.

Should I be opting to overexpose a bit instead? I was using Portra 400 and metering for iso 400 if that matters. Also, I bought the camera off ebay so the shutter may not even be firing for the proper times. Typing this I think there might just be too many variables. Maybe I'll do a roll through a camera I'm sure has an accurate shutter and see how it goes.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

eggsovereasy posted:

Should I be opting to overexpose a bit instead? I was using Portra 400 and metering for iso 400 if that matters. Also, I bought the camera off ebay so the shutter may not even be firing for the proper times. Typing this I think there might just be too many variables. Maybe I'll do a roll through a camera I'm sure has an accurate shutter and see how it goes.
I would err toward overexposure on C-41, but <1 stop underexposure shouldn't be bad. Are you scanning those yourself? The before image looks a lot like mine do if I don't lock exposure/film base color in Vuescan.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

FasterThanLight posted:

I would err toward overexposure on C-41, but <1 stop underexposure shouldn't be bad. Are you scanning those yourself? The before image looks a lot like mine do if I don't lock exposure/film base color in Vuescan.

Yes, I scanned them myself. I didn't really change much other than the crop in vuescan.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Why is it that Vuescan and Silverfast give me really muddy and blurry scans, while EpsonScan gives me crystal clear super-sharp scans?

I've been through every setting, even the in-program "sharpen" option. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I really like Vuescan for its ability to set the film base color.

I have an Epson V500 for what it's worth.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

QPZIL posted:

Why is it that Vuescan and Silverfast give me really muddy and blurry scans, while EpsonScan gives me crystal clear super-sharp scans?

I've been through every setting, even the in-program "sharpen" option. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I really like Vuescan for its ability to set the film base color.

I have an Epson V500 for what it's worth.

I've had the same issues here, the only film that I've been able to scan well in Viewscan was Kodachrome, otherwise it just seems more pain for what it's worth. The EpsonScan software makes batch scanning so much easier, especially doing it inside Photoshop. (V500 here too).

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

EpsonScan doesn't work on OS X 10.7 with the v600 so I'm hosed into using Vuescan.

Guess I'll be buying a Canon next time I want a scanner.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

eggsovereasy posted:

EpsonScan doesn't work on OS X 10.7 with the v600 so I'm hosed into using Vuescan.

Guess I'll be buying a Canon next time I want a scanner.

Really? I've been using the v500 with Lion and it hasn't skipped a beat, weird.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Spedman posted:

Really? I've been using the v500 with Lion and it hasn't skipped a beat, weird.

I can't even download it from their website, just says install drives from the Apple update, but no Epsonscan software.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

eggsovereasy posted:

I can't even download it from their website, just says install drives from the Apple update, but no Epsonscan software.

I'm using version 3.7, here is a download link for 3.8, I think it should work:
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/6656/epson-scan

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wonder if these work with the Perfection 3200. I'm not a fan of VueScan even though my problems were mostly things I was able to work around.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Did some more scanning. Man, I love having access to an X5

The New Museum, NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

red19fire
May 26, 2010

:monocle:

Just finished developing my 3rd and 4th roll of Tri-X. This time, it went much smoother, in under an hour. Now for 2 rolls of 120.

E: first roll of 120 done. Is there a way to keep them from bowing in the middle as it dries?

E2: And done with #2. MF is so much faster to load than 35mm. Even on wet, plastic reels, it was relatively painless. Everything looks fantastic, too. And the first roll dried itself flat somehow.

Question: how fast do you go through developer? I'm using TMax at 1+4, and I'm already more than halfway through a bottle after only ~8 35mm rolls.

Should I dilute down to 1+9 to last longer? Can developer be reused, like fixer?

red19fire fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

red19fire posted:

Question: how fast do you go through developer? I'm using TMax at 1+4, and I'm already more than halfway through a bottle after only ~8 35mm rolls.

Should I dilute down to 1+9 to last longer? Can developer be reused, like fixer?

You're probably best off not diluting any further, but you can, to some degree, re-use developer. Here's what Kodak's document about T-Max developer says:

That table is based on mixing an entire bottle of concentrate up at once to make a gallon of working solution, so if you instead e.g. mix one quart at a time you would divide those numbers of rolls by four to get the adjustments.
However if you want the best developer economy for small scale use, use a more concentrated one such as HC-110.

Grab some Kodak documents here, you can learn all kinds of useful things from them.