Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
Does anybody know about an arcade stick that I can plug and play into my television that has games pre-loaded on the stick base?

This is something that I was looking at that seems close but no cigar:
http://www.xgaming.com/store/arcade-joysticks-and-game-controllers/product/x-arcade-dual-joystick/
It plugs into your computer and lets you play "literally thousands of classic games for free". I'm assuming the games are actually downloaded to the PC and not part of the stick.

Its for my girlfriend for Christmas and I want her to just plug into TV and have all the games as part of one package and not have to worry about plugging into a PC or a XBOX, PS3 etc. etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

kimbo305 posted:

Need help with British slang. I'm reading He Died with His Eyes Open. One character describes son's behavoir: "all he thinks about is going off to Greece where he's layin this bit of local shirley temple."

I'm assuming it's having it's having sex or prostitution or something, but I haven't found any matches with cockney rhyming slang. What does it mean?

I could be wrong here, but given that a Shirley Temple is a non-alcoholic drink named after a young actress, they might be referring to an innocent/underage girl. That's the first thing that comes to mind for me, but like I said, I could be wrong.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mister Macys posted:

How much less would Earth's gravity need to be, for methane to escape into space?
Ignore the implications of losing precious hydrogen, and all that.
Also, carbon dioxide too, while I'm here.
This article covers it pretty well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_escape

Depending on your definition of escape (100% of methane molecules in gaseous from), Earth would have to be the size of a big asteroid or so. And of course, there'd be no other lighter molecules/atoms left, either.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

kimbo305 posted:

Need help with British slang. I'm reading He Died with His Eyes Open. One character describes son's behavoir: "all he thinks about is going off to Greece where he's layin this bit of local shirley temple."

I'm assuming it's having it's having sex or prostitution or something, but I haven't found any matches with cockney rhyming slang. What does it mean?

It means when he's having sex with an young/innocent girl, all he can think about is having anal sex with her.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

It means when he's having sex with an young/innocent girl, all he can think about is having anal sex with her.

I've heard the slang Greek sex before, but are you serious? There was no further context if the guy was actually traveling or going to Greece.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

kimbo305 posted:

I've heard the slang Greek sex before, but are you serious? There was no further context if the guy was actually traveling or going to Greece.
I think you're being had. But I agree with the child actress = much younger/underage girlfriend interpretation.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
'Sup goons. Got a couple small eBay questions.

I intend to sell my slim 160 GB PS3 with a single controller and the four games (Little Big Planet, Unreal Tournament III, GTA IV, Skyrim) I have for it.

- Should I bundle up all the games, or should I sell them separately?
- Should I put it on the market now, or put it up so that kiddies can buy it with their xmas cash?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Danny Bro Pty Ltd posted:

Has anyone got married in a court? Can you tell me about your experience?

I've been thinking about marriage alot, and every time I do I always picture it in a court. I've talked to my mum about it, and she said a bride would never want it there.

Do you mean having a ceremony in a court or just getting legally married in a court? I was the best man at a wedding where the couple had gotten legally married a few months beforehand in a court. Basically all it was was signing some papers in front of a judge. I don't know if courts allow full blown wedding ceremonies inside of them.

As for finding a girl that'll go along with it, it'd obviously depend on the girl. If you're really saying "I don't want to get married at a church" though I'd suggest something like a park or something like that instead of having an actual ceremony in a court.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Do you mean having a ceremony in a court or just getting legally married in a court? I was the best man at a wedding where the couple had gotten legally married a few months beforehand in a court. Basically all it was was signing some papers in front of a judge. I don't know if courts allow full blown wedding ceremonies inside of them.

Yeah I knew a couple who used to be my neighbors that got married in a court on a Thursday afternoon, just so the paperwork would be done, and then had their "real" wedding at a fancy hotel and poo poo 3 weeks later.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
A long shot but why would Apple give The Price Is Right iPod videos to give away instead of Touches? I get that they're 160gb but so what? I haven't heard of anyone buying one purposefully in years. They aren't the same level of cool as the other gizmos that are usually given away.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
From a marketing perspective, companies place product on that show simply for exposure - basically a mini commercial/product placement type situation. My guess is that Apple's sales of that particular product are not what they'd like them to be so they're using the Price is Right to promote it.

It also could have something to do with the demographic. The show is generally watched by old people, so maybe Apple feels like that iPod video is easier to use than the touch, so they'd like to get more sales from that age group.

That second one is probably a reach though.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Does anyone know anything about Transitions Online or The New Presence? I might be able to work at one of them next semester while studying abroad, but I don't know much about them. Are either of them more famous/well known? Any advice on which I should focus on?

Dick Smegma
Oct 12, 2010

by T. Couchfucker
Is it cheaper to eat fast food in certain situations for a college student?

I'm not talking about a family of 4. If I want, say a hamburger, wouldn't it be cheaper to buy one off the dollar menu, then to go to the store and buy ground beef, bread, cheese, and tomatoes?

You can't always eat ramen. My mother keeps telling me I will save money by not eating out, to stay home and cook a stew in my slow cooker. Problem is, stew meat is $6, plus vegetables, and it only lasts maybe 2 meals. Factor in the cost of 12 hours of slow cooker going, and I don't think its worth it.

I know if you really want to save money, do the whole "rice and beans" thing, but truthfully that won't last. Sometimes I need fast food, and don't have time to wait 12 hours. I can't eat ramen/rice/sandwiches every single day.

Hamburger helper? 2$ for the box, then a pound of ground beef is 4$. Thats already $6, and its not even that good.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Are you eating an entire box of hamburger helper + a lb of ground beef in one meal? That's like 3 meals worth of food.

I suppose with frugal spending a case could be made for fast food being a cheaper option once you factor in time as a cost.

You'll die by the age of 30 if you eat fast food every day though, so I don't know what kind of price you put on health. I'm able to cook a balanced, healthy meal for myself in about 15-20 minutes for about $50/week, and that's 3 meals plus snacks. That's not even going a cheap route...I'm buying top sirloin, pork tenderloin, fresh vegetables, etc.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Because you aren't buying in bulk, you don't have the economy of scale that allows a burger to be only $1 when buying the ingredients separately. For one thing, you simply can't - when was the last time you could buy a single bun, or enough ground meat for only a single patty?

So, yes, if you only have $1, you'll get more mileage out of it with the burger than with trying to get ingredients for a meal. But if you have $50, you will be able to buy more bulky and get stuff for food for the next two weeks.

Also, a dollar menu burger is going to be at most 1/4 pound, pre-cooked weight. That Hamburger Helper you mention is going to be at least 4x that, so if you aren't stretching that out to last four times as many meals as a dollar menu burger does, you're doing it wrong.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

If you have a freezer, it's easier to take advantage of bulk buying. Make a loving poo poo-ton of bolognese sauce and put half of it in the freezer. Eat pasta for a couple of days and then your rice/sandwiches/whatever for a couple then one day you'll look in the freezer and say, hot drat I'll have pasta tonight. Also, I thought stew meat was supposed to be cheap, that's why you cook it for so long.

Sorry if I come across as a judgemental goon, but if you polish off a whole pot of stew in 2 meals, do you really eat just one $1 hamburger for dinner?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

greazeball posted:

If you have a freezer, it's easier to take advantage of bulk buying. Make a loving poo poo-ton of bolognese sauce and put half of it in the freezer. Eat pasta for a couple of days and then your rice/sandwiches/whatever for a couple then one day you'll look in the freezer and say, hot drat I'll have pasta tonight. Also, I thought stew meat was supposed to be cheap, that's why you cook it for so long.

Sorry if I come across as a judgemental goon, but if you polish off a whole pot of stew in 2 meals, do you really eat just one $1 hamburger for dinner?

A vacuum sealer is critical to making bulk food that will still taste good when you pull it out of the freezer!

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Your croc pot is essentially cheap-as-free to run. It's around a 400-watt device, so leaving it on for 12 hours is 4.8 kwh, or something like $0.60 in electricity.

A vacuum sealer is expensive and not even kind of necessary. Lots of foods will freeze gracefully on their own. If money is tight, focus on making those, instead of things that aren't going to store well.

Honestly, fast food can be super cheap, and is often more convenient. However, learning to cook is a valuable life skill, and the food you cook will be much healthier and much tastier. This thread in Goons With Spoons has a lot of recipes for eating well on a dirt-cheap budget.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
So I have this personal trainer who has gone above and beyond just helping me put together exercise routines with a disability and really helped me do some continuing life overhauls, and I want to do something for Christmas. My roommate thinks that just giving a big tip of some kind is the thing to do, but I thought that sounded impersonal and thought maybe the same amount in a gift certificate for a seriously amazing restaurant here for her and her husband would be a cooler idea. What do goons think?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I'm sure your trainer would appreciate the money over a restaurant gift certificate. It is a bit impersonal, but it's also a business relationship, even if you are friendly.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Not personal training, but a comparable one-on-one "coaching" role: If any of my clients gave me extra money, It would probably make me quite uncomfortable. Tips are really more for short services, either one-off or "recurring but individual" like tipping a doorman every day. I don't think they're appropriate in an ongoing relationship. You have to see her again after you've given the tip. I wouldn't even make it a christmas present, just have it as a thank you if she's really done something special to help you. Otherwise it sets the precedent that you get your trainer a present at christmas. Restaurant voucher sounds pretty good to me though.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
My boyfriend and I have a 14 hr layover at JFK (New York). We're looking for something to do in the city (hopefully around the same area so we can just take the AirTrain there and walk around) that will also have access to good food as we'll be getting lunch/dinner there. Any suggestions?

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Golbez posted:

Because you aren't buying in bulk, you don't have the economy of scale that allows a burger to be only $1 when buying the ingredients separately. For one thing, you simply can't - when was the last time you could buy a single bun, or enough ground meat for only a single patty?

So, yes, if you only have $1, you'll get more mileage out of it with the burger than with trying to get ingredients for a meal. But if you have $50, you will be able to buy more bulky and get stuff for food for the next two weeks.

Also, a dollar menu burger is going to be at most 1/4 pound, pre-cooked weight. That Hamburger Helper you mention is going to be at least 4x that, so if you aren't stretching that out to last four times as many meals as a dollar menu burger does, you're doing it wrong.

I know it's mostly older people who watch, I grew up watching it with my grandmother for example. We lived on the border and even got to watch El Precio Es Corecto, too. I'm sure it's not called that but it was from Mexico. But the demographic is changing. I see less old people in the stand and the prizes are drifting away from poo poo old people like to what anyone would like. They even gave away two BlackBerries with a year long plan, including data. No texts and the family had to share 550 monthly minutes but data was covered for both BlackBerries. The look on Drew's face was priceless when he said that inflatable Twister was $2,000. I'm wondering why they don't try to aim more toward those younger audiences and at least give away something cooler instead of overstock iPod Videos. Those were cool in 2005.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

kimbo305 posted:

Can you give more context? My first guess is that he was gay and interested in men despite having a relationship with a girl.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Dick Smegma posted:

Is it cheaper to eat fast food in certain situations for a college student?

I'm not talking about a family of 4. If I want, say a hamburger, wouldn't it be cheaper to buy one off the dollar menu, then to go to the store and buy ground beef, bread, cheese, and tomatoes?

You can't always eat ramen. My mother keeps telling me I will save money by not eating out, to stay home and cook a stew in my slow cooker. Problem is, stew meat is $6, plus vegetables, and it only lasts maybe 2 meals. Factor in the cost of 12 hours of slow cooker going, and I don't think its worth it.

I know if you really want to save money, do the whole "rice and beans" thing, but truthfully that won't last. Sometimes I need fast food, and don't have time to wait 12 hours. I can't eat ramen/rice/sandwiches every single day.

Hamburger helper? 2$ for the box, then a pound of ground beef is 4$. Thats already $6, and its not even that good.

Everyone else had good things to say, but I'm going to just tell you that noodles (not ramen, the good poo poo) are one of my favorite foods and is what I buy when stocking up. Get some rice noodles, some vegetables you like (and I guess meat if you really want some) and stir fry that poo poo together. Also, fried rice using egg is cheap to make, lasts for weeks, and tastes great with everything. Everything.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

El_Elegante posted:

Can you give more context? My first guess is that he was gay and interested in men despite having a relationship with a girl.

His son was probably just about to crack middle age. Probably not in any relationship in England. Had a profitable business and liked to idle around. Couldn't get any sense on his sexual predilections, outside of whatever is connoted by the sentence in question.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

kimbo305 posted:

Pretty much - sex with a pubescent girl (a lolita or young teen prostitute, who wouldd still look as cute as Shirley Temple was)

noggut
Jan 15, 2008
Which Norwegian soccer player got nastily drunk and thrown into jail November 6.? Media won't say who, not even what country it happened in.

E: Trond Sollied. I'm Norwegian, and I've barely heard of him. Booooring.

noggut fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 16, 2011

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I've noticed some people where I work do this, they will go "exempt" for a couple of weeks. I know you get a bigger paycheck. What exactly does this mean?

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:

b0nes posted:

I've noticed some people where I work do this, they will go "exempt" for a couple of weeks. I know you get a bigger paycheck. What exactly does this mean?

Are these people still working and receiving a check every week or two? Are you in the US? If so, what state? There's am IRS thread somewhere on the forums that you can check with. From the little that you've said it sounds shady, but I file as single with no dependants and my taxes are mad easy. If your people have a legal way to get free money plz post it because I want in. "exempt" is just the sort of word I want to hear.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

GreenCard78 posted:

I know it's mostly older people who watch, I grew up watching it with my grandmother for example. We lived on the border and even got to watch El Precio Es Corecto, too. I'm sure it's not called that but it was from Mexico. But the demographic is changing. I see less old people in the stand and the prizes are drifting away from poo poo old people like to what anyone would like. They even gave away two BlackBerries with a year long plan, including data. No texts and the family had to share 550 monthly minutes but data was covered for both BlackBerries. The look on Drew's face was priceless when he said that inflatable Twister was $2,000. I'm wondering why they don't try to aim more toward those younger audiences and at least give away something cooler instead of overstock iPod Videos. Those were cool in 2005.

Inflatable Twisters are tastier than dollar menu burgers.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

b0nes posted:

It means you are declaring income tax exemption for the ongoing tax deduction from your paycheck. You would typically do this by filling out a W-2 and giving it to your employer. This does not change your actual tax liability at the end of the year, and if you miscalculate and owe too much you will pay significant penalties.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

b0nes posted:

In simpler terms - You have less money taken out of your paycheck for taxes, giving you a larger paycheck. However you still owe that money in taxes, you will just have to make up for it and pay more come tax time.

Edit: Also, if you plan it correctly, you can have little to no taxes withheld so you get more money. You will then make more money from interest with that money. You will have to pay more year end taxes, because you are paying it all at once. But, you will have made more money than just paying it every pay period to the government and not getting the interest.

aricoarena fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 16, 2011

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Working on a Santa costume for a tailgate and I need to come up with gold colored fur trim but I'm expecting to have a hard time finding it. If I can't, what is the likelihood that I could purchase regular white fur trim and dye it without any poor side affects such as the fur clumping or ruining the furriness of it?
Mind you, I don't know much about fabric so I was hoping someone might have experience with this.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have a fan in my living room that's controlled by remote (there's no switch or cord). Several times when I wake up in the morning it is on, despite being off the night before. This has only happened at night. I'm totally clueless to how this is happening. Any idea for a possible explanation? :iiam:

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
For my fantasy football league, we decided that last place will be forced to wear a XXL t-shirt that says "THE BIGGEST LOSER" on the front of it for an entire week.

The problem is that no such shirt exists, so we need to make it. How would I go about printing the phrase and ironing it into a t-shirt?

carlcarlson
Jun 20, 2008

Aggro posted:

For my fantasy football league, we decided that last place will be forced to wear a XXL t-shirt that says "THE BIGGEST LOSER" on the front of it for an entire week.

The problem is that no such shirt exists, so we need to make it. How would I go about printing the phrase and ironing it into a t-shirt?
Or you could buy one here for $26
http://www.nbcuniversalstore.com/the-biggest-loser-logo-t-shirt-pink/detail.php?p=292582&v=nbc_the-biggest-loser
Also available in blue, but pink seems like the obvious choice.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

actionjackson posted:

I have a fan in my living room that's controlled by remote (there's no switch or cord). Several times when I wake up in the morning it is on, despite being off the night before. This has only happened at night. I'm totally clueless to how this is happening. Any idea for a possible explanation? :iiam:

Don't ever sleep in the living room then unless you have it unplugged, you could die.

The Peacock
Dec 3, 2010
A couple years ago, I saw a product on a website (possibly Think Geek) that you could place anywhere, then call and you would be able to hear conversations of people at the spot where you placed it. If I recall correctly, it was just a little chip that you could hide...my Google-fu is weak, can any goons/goonettes help me find the item?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Wagonburner posted:

Don't ever sleep in the living room then unless you have it unplugged, you could die.

Now now, there's no evidence that actionjackson is Korean.