Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

THE BAR posted:

How can both Little Big Adventure games get top reviews and ratings? What am I missing out on here? The screenshots look like a downright mess of.. I'm not even sure what it's supposed to be? It's an RPG of sorts, but.. Yeah, what gives?
They were beautiful high-res unique platformy adventure games when they first came out. I don't mind the tank-like controls, but a lot of people will say that's the part that's aged the worst. They're not RPGs... just isometric adventures with crappy action combat.

I would still play the poo poo out of 1 again and 2 for the first time, but I hesitate to recommend them because I might see it with rose-tinted glasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

THE BAR posted:

How can both Little Big Adventure games get top reviews and ratings? What am I missing out on here? The screenshots look like a downright mess of.. I'm not even sure what it's supposed to be? It's an RPG of sorts, but.. Yeah, what gives?

Every game on GOG gets great ratings.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Thanks for this. That is totally sweet.

Minister of Chance
Apr 6, 2011

THE BAR posted:

They are good action/adventure games. Sure the graphics didn't age well, but at the time they were top notch. The second is better then the first. So, if anyone wants only to play one of them, pick the second.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

THE BAR posted:

gog.com trades exclusively in nostalgia.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Vertigus posted:

Every game on GOG gets great ratings.

You're right on that. I think the lowest is MoO's 2 stars?

Little Big Adventure looks like something an amateur made in Maya, the graphics aren't old, they're just bad. I don't think it's a game for me, but people seem to praise the humour and environments.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

THE BAR posted:

Little Big Adventure looks like something an amateur made in Maya, the graphics aren't old, they're just bad. I don't think it's a game for me, but people seem to praise the humour and environments.
The game ran smoothly in SVGA when most would still be 320x200 for another few years.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
The LBA games, especially the first one, definitely were visually impressive for their day. We are talking about 1994 here, seventeen years ago, when having characters rendered in full 3D and so smoothly animated still was far from common.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I remember LBA 1&2 being quite highly regarded back in the day.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

MMAgCh posted:

The LBA games, especially the first one, definitely were visually impressive for their day. We are talking about 1994 here, seventeen years ago, when having characters rendered in full 3D and so smoothly animated still was far from common.
Yeah... Final Fantasy 7 came out three years later for example.

Though it's funny that there's apparently a community of people now 17 years older, kneejerk-rating everything so highly on GOG. I mean they've got to be 25 years old at the minimum, and to still be so fanboyish?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Heh, top three reviews for MOO3

There's probably some insane MOO3 fanboy reviews in there somewhere that give it 5/5 though.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

quote:

Graphic power and art direction are two completely different things, though. DooM 2 came out in 1994, and that's based on a game from 1993. I'd take 8-way drawn sprites over mono coloured triangles any day.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Gourard shading! That poo poo was revolutionary!

I get it, you don't like it. But you're severely exaggerating the underwhelming-to-you look. It was a major stepping-stone for real-time computer graphics at the time. It was high-resolution, had shading, the polygons didn't stand out that much, and the character models were placed on nice hand-drawn tiles/art.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 15, 2011

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I don't know I checked LBA out on youtube and it actually looks like it holds up pretty well. Looks like poo poo in still shots though.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

teethgrinder posted:

I get it, you don't like it. But you're severely exaggerating the underwhelming-to-you look. It was a major stepping-stone for real-time computer graphics at the time. It was high-resolution, had shading, the polygons didn't stand out that much, and the character models were placed on nice hand-drawn tiles/art.

It's with Gouraud shading? I can't see any shadows on the screenshots.
And yes, that method was very important later on, it's basically the only thing that kept the N64 alive!

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

frogg posted:

That would be fantastic, thanks!
So Wing Commander 1. I've finished around six missions now, and it's definitely still playable, even for a newcomer to the series/genre. I think enemy ships are just sprites showing different angles, so it can be a bit jarring at first when you're flying around them (especially the larger ships), but otherwise the graphics are quite nice. Cutscenes especially.

I think my main struggle so far has been with some of the controls. If you don't have a joystick, stick with the keyboard for everything. Using the mouse is pretty much asking for trouble. Keyboard works just fine though. Also, I don't seem to be able to fire while turning. I don't know if this is because I'm using the keyboard to play (someone else should be able to clarify this), but it can be frustrating.

I checked GameFAQs to see how long the game is, and it looks like after every few sets of missions you branch off into one of two different regions depending on your performance. It's good for replay value, but more importantly it means you don't have to win every mission - if you're getting overwhelmed, as long as you eject before you're killed the mission is still completed and the game continues.

Overall, totally worth $3. Just remember that at the end of the mission you need to communicate with the base to request a landing. Otherwise you will just ram into the base and somehow your wingman will die and you'll realize you probably should've read the manual.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Bought all four Broken Sword games because I've never played them and don't know why. drat YOU GOG. I've bought something almost every day this week :arghfist::( Think I'm done, though.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Geop posted:

Bought all four Broken Sword games because I've never played them and don't know why. drat YOU GOG. I've bought something almost every day this week :arghfist::( Think I'm done, though.
Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm done, too. I went back and pretty much cleaned house the other day, I've bought about 30 games total from the sale. That should keep me occupied with my new backlog until 2031 or so. :smithicide:

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

Armor-Piercing posted:

I think my main struggle so far has been with some of the controls. If you don't have a joystick, stick with the keyboard for everything. Using the mouse is pretty much asking for trouble. Keyboard works just fine though. Also, I don't seem to be able to fire while turning. I don't know if this is because I'm using the keyboard to play (someone else should be able to clarify this), but it can be frustrating.

Yep. IIRC, WC1 and 2 can't handle simultaneous keypresses, but they will switch one to the other once you stop pressing it (which facilitates afterburner use). When I started getting back into gameport-era stuff I picked up a USB Logitech Attack 3 for $15 or so, and that's got enough buttons to handle most older flight-simmy games, including a basic throttle wheel. It ain't a Thrustmaster FCS but it gets the job done.

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle

Armor-Piercing posted:

wing commander

Beautiful, thanks for the trip-report! I just picked it up, as well the rest of the series. I would have bought it anyway most likely but you just bumped it up a couple hundred notches in my backlog. :hfive:

Shadley Puffin posted:

Yep. IIRC, WC1 and 2 can't handle simultaneous keypresses, but they will switch one to the other once you stop pressing it (which facilitates afterburner use). When I started getting back into gameport-era stuff I picked up a USB Logitech Attack 3 for $15 or so, and that's got enough buttons to handle most older flight-simmy games, including a basic throttle wheel. It ain't a Thrustmaster FCS but it gets the job done.

whoa I'd never even considered grabbing a joystick for these older games. The only joystick games I ever played on the PC were Sim Copter and Earthsiege II and now all of a sudden I miss that stick so much. :( Could you recommend any other sticks besides the Attack 3? I think I might be willing to throw down a bit more cash on one if it means it'll be compatible with everything across the board from stuff on GoG to any flight (or space, hah) sims that might come out in the near future.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

teethgrinder posted:

He's not really exaggerating at all. Sure, it was technically impressive back then - but it still looked pretty lovely, and it obviously looks horrible now. There's no need to get all nostalgic over that terribly awkward period of early-3D games. Hell, I remember being incredibly impressed by the first Tomb Raider game and still thought it looked awful.

The biggest problem with the game for me isn't the graphics, I can get used to those, but man the gameplay is awkward.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 16, 2011

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Megadyptes posted:

Heh, top three reviews for MOO3

There's probably some insane MOO3 fanboy reviews in there somewhere that give it 5/5 though.

I bought it on Gamersgate anyways because it was only $2. And because I hate myself.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

frogg posted:

whoa I'd never even considered grabbing a joystick for these older games. The only joystick games I ever played on the PC were Sim Copter and Earthsiege II and now all of a sudden I miss that stick so much. :( Could you recommend any other sticks besides the Attack 3? I think I might be willing to throw down a bit more cash on one if it means it'll be compatible with everything across the board from stuff on GoG to any flight (or space, hah) sims that might come out in the near future.

Can't really speak to any other joysticks, but the Attack 3 is a step below the Thrustmaster T.16000M or Logitech's Extreme 3D Pro in that it lacks a hat switch and the twist axis. With one of those or above, you've got pretty much all DOS 4-axis stuff covered, unless you want to jump up to a separate throttle/pedal setup from somebody like Thrustmaster or Saitek.

The big caveat, though, is that I've only really fiddled with this stuff in DOSBox. It's got a fairly sophisticated mapper, and if the game itself doesn't have a remapping function you can usually get most functions moved over and in some cases improve over the default mapping the game provides. Windows and other OS stuff, though, you may be limited to what your OS or the game or any number of hand-tweaked .ini files can accomplish.

Can anybody else chime in on how easy it is to get USB joysticks to work well with, say, a Windows 95/98 title like X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter or something?

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Shadley Puffin posted:

Can't really speak to any other joysticks, but the Attack 3 is a step below the Thrustmaster T.16000M or Logitech's Extreme 3D Pro in that it lacks a hat switch and the twist axis. With one of those or above, you've got pretty much all DOS 4-axis stuff covered, unless you want to jump up to a separate throttle/pedal setup from somebody like Thrustmaster or Saitek.

The big caveat, though, is that I've only really fiddled with this stuff in DOSBox. It's got a fairly sophisticated mapper, and if the game itself doesn't have a remapping function you can usually get most functions moved over and in some cases improve over the default mapping the game provides. Windows and other OS stuff, though, you may be limited to what your OS or the game or any number of hand-tweaked .ini files can accomplish.

Can anybody else chime in on how easy it is to get USB joysticks to work well with, say, a Windows 95/98 title like X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter or something?

I just got the Thrustmaster T-flight HOTAS X Flight Stick so I could play all my new flight games. It's $30 on amazon, so it sort of canceled out all of my savings from to the sale, but seemed to be the best thing available without getting into the hundred dollar range.

I've not actually got it yet since I only bought it after trying to play freespace 2 with a mouse last night, so I don't know how well it works with GoG stuff. Hopefully I can get my wing commander on with it.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 16, 2011

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

THE BAR posted:

It's with Gouraud shading? I can't see any shadows on the screenshots.
And yes, that method was very important later on, it's basically the only thing that kept the N64 alive!
I'm not sure if you understand what Gouraud shading is; it has nothing to do with shadows, but all to do with lighting polygons. Until the early nineties, polygons were ordinarily lit through flat shading, which attributed one colour value per surface. The effect is especially apparent on low-polygon meshes, emphasising every facet through stark contrasts. This screenshot from X-Wing demonstrates it pretty well. Gouraud shading actually generates gradients, creating the illusion of a higher polygon count. You can see the difference it makes in TIE Fighter.

Anyway, by the time the N64 came out, Gouraud shading was commonplace. I very much doubt it did anything for the system. Maybe you're thinking of its hardware texture filtering and/or coloured lighting, which did set it apart from the Saturn and PSX.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
I'm fairly sure LBA is just the engine of Alone in the Dark with a bunch of extra features. They wanted to make a pretty game without writing something entirely new, but more importantly, they wanted to tell a story.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

In the spirit of the holidays, I've got two gift codes to give away! One for Sanitarium and Planescape: Torment. First people to post get the codes! Remember to tell me which game you want!

EDIT: Both codes gone, sorry guys!

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 16, 2011

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Faerie Fortune posted:

In the spirit of the holidays, I've got two gift codes to give away! One for Sanitarium and Planescape: Torment. First people to post get the codes! Remember to tell me which game you want!

Torment please!

I don't have pm's and I'm about to go on my lunch break so my email *gone*

Thanks!!!

put both hands in fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 16, 2011

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Whoops, you don't have PMs. Could you edit your post with an email I can send the code to please?

EDIT: Email sent, anyone for Sanitarium?

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 16, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Faerie Fortune posted:

Sanitarium! I've always wanted that. I do have forum PMs, too.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

PM sent! Enjoy!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Shadley Puffin posted:

In my experience it works very well. Have played Tie Fighter (Tie95), Freespace 2, X-wing Alliance, I-war and WC: Prophecy with my USB Saitek Cyborg Evolution (CYBORG EVOLUTION). Never had any trouble getting axis and such recognized, did have to use Saitek's software to remap the controls for Tie Fighter though.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Vertigus posted:

He's not really exaggerating at all. Sure, it was technically impressive back then - but it still looked pretty lovely, and it obviously looks horrible now. There's no need to get all nostalgic over that terribly awkward period of early-3D games. Hell, I remember being incredibly impressed by the first Tomb Raider game and still thought it looked awful.

The biggest problem with the game for me isn't the graphics, I can get used to those, but man the gameplay is awkward.

Eh, the LBA games are highly stylized, and the character animations still hold up quite well. They deliberately made the game look like a set of plastic toys.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

My resistance finally gave out and I picked up:

- SimCity 2000 DOS (I'll probably fire it up to see how well it works and just keep it on my netbook as a just-in-case game)
- XIII (one of many GOG games that I once saw in a game mag that my PC would never run... until I bought it for a song. Is multi worth a poop in this?)
- Starflight (a game that predates my PC ownership period. I hope it is as marvelous as it seems. This pup is going right in my Dropbox to be shared between my home PC and my netbook.)

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

WOW I AM A SHITTY POST COOL HUH
WING COMMANDER: PRIVATEER:
A Three-Act Co-Dependent Love-Hate Real-Life Story-Tell

ACT I, SCENE I:
"These controls are obtuse as hell, I don't know what I'm doing, this dumb ship doesn't feel like it actually moves, the game just froze up again and I didn't get paid for my patrol runs and just how the hell does Origin get such an army of nostalgic nut-lickers when all their games were buggy as all hell even before EA bought them? This poo poo is retarded and I am so angry I could cry..."

ACT I, SCENE II:
"Okay, okay, the controls are slowly making a bit of sense, and I can open up the relevant page on the manual on my phone if I need a quick reference. Just gonna save early and often, I can live with occasional freezes I guess. And what do you know, Patrol missions aren't really bugged, thanks for that, vmvdr! Woo, I'm a frickin space merchant/occasional merc, I'm gonna buy the hell out of that Orion ship!"

ACT II, SCENE I:
"Sweet, I got that sexy Orion ship and now I finally have level 2 shields and an engine to match... um, oh, and it looks like all the enemies got upgrades too. This is loving bullshit rubberbanding AI, what the hell is the point of buying a better ship and better gear if I still die just as easily? If I wanted a constant challenge I would go play Sudoku or Robotron or read an advanced organic chemistry textbook or just get drunk and see how many times I could put a sewing needle in my pisshole before hurting myself, and I'm obviously not doing any of those things so maybe it stands to reason that perhaps I'm looking for something that is fun, not something that is challenging, and hence leads to the question of just why are you trying to inject this dumb bullshit into my life? Ugh."

ACT II, SCENE II:
"Well, okay, it's still basically okay I guess, I can sorta just pretend that the game is abstracting out the lower-level conflicts, since I guess those would probably eventually end up feeling like a tedious waste of time anyway. I'm gonna do a bunch of cargo hauls and get a level 3 engine just to run away from these Retro assholes even better. Or maybe I should get a better gun, or upgrade my ECM, or, or, or..."

ACT III, SCENE I:
"WHAT THE gently caress. That's the third time in a row I got jumped in the asteroid belt in Pender's Star sector, this is absolute bullshit, if I try to kill the pirates I slam into asteroids, I can't run from the pirates for the same reason, and if I just focus on weaving through the asteroids I get mercilessly hate-hosed by these pirates and their stupid bullshit particle cannons that seem to have no trouble loving me in the rear end, despite how hard it is for me to get much done with anything less than a tachyon cannon even on a dead-on straight shot suicide charge. I hate this poo poo, I'm sick of doing piddling generic food hauls in Troy system, I'm sick of basically savescumming to game the RNG in the hopes I don't get ganged in the asteroid zone, I'm sick of asteroids, I'm sick of not being able to avoid enemy fire, this game sucks."

ACT III, SCENE II:
"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry Wing Commander Privateer, baby, I didn't mean those hurtful words I wrote about you on that internet forum. I can figure out a way around that big nasty asteroid belt, I'm sure I can, baby. The problem isn't you, it's me, and I can change. Really, I can change. I'm sure you're the smartest, wittiest, most brilliant spaceship sandbox game. I mean, just look at X3's MetaScore, I'm sure PC games journalists know what's up better than I ever would. I know for a fact that no matter what you're so much more sexy than your younger sister the Darkening... let's give it another chance, Privateer honey... you and me, together again, we can really go places. Baby, we can do this."

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Goddamn this is a great sale picked up Both Crusader games and all three Fallouts. First Steam fall sale now this.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
The LBAs still look good to me; I don't know what the issue is. I mean, look at the other stuff on GoG and see if you think their graphics are poo poo as well. What I like about the LBAs is that they illustrate an interesting world, and don't feel like some generic setpieces.

I do agree that their cover art is shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit with those awful fonts.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I first encountered Little Big Adventure in the form of a demo in a computer lab, around 1995. We spent most of our time playing Doom, Doom 2, Stunts 2, and a PC port of Mortal Kombat. We also played some older Apogee titles, like Duke Nukem and Commander Keen. And holy *gently caress* did we play a lot of Scorched Earth and One Must Fall.

To me, Little Big Adventure looked pretty awful compared to all of these, and it controlled like poo poo, and you were frequently treated to the same failure cinematics if you didn't do things just right. It was a chore.

Still, there were a couple guys who were absolutely enthralled by it and declared it the best game ever. The rest of us just pushed them out of the way so we could run Doom 2 on the only 33mhz machine in class.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Anything I should do before playing Last Express and the Crusader games? I actually had the first Crusander when it came out on GOG, but couldn't get into it at the time due to the weird control scheme (number pad for movement). Anyway to remap in-game or with a keyboard (or a program shell for the two, ala Exult).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer

WiredStnkyPusyLuvr posted:

WING COMMANDER: PRIVATEER:

A tip you may not be aware of: You can take up to 3 mission at the same time from the computer, so if you're good at combat just take 3 patrol missions and come home to a fat wallet of credits for a single outing instead of 3.