Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Did some research on who is actually "supposed" to be scanning Otoyomegatari. The group called Scantily Clad that was translating it for awhile apparently "gave" it to some group called Maigo. However, they say that they didn't actually pick it up and they basically just said they were giving it to them to get rid of it. :(

So basically, no one. :(

Zorak fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Zorak posted:

Did some research on who is actually "supposed" to be scanning Otoyomegatari. The group called Scantily Clad that was translating it for awhile apparently "gave" it to some group called Maigo. However, they say that they didn't actually pick it up and they basically just said they were giving it to them to get rid of it. :(

What did they drop it in favour of? It can't possibly be as good as Otoyomegatari...

Fingers crossed that someone sensible will pick it up soon.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Zorak posted:

Not enough burning shounen spirit :negative:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Supposedly these guys picked it up: http://thmmy.wordpress.com/ But the two releases they did of it were just using a translation some guys did on 4chan and doing the release using it. So... nothing reliable.

:(

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Whoops I did a thing (Otoyome chap 20)
I'm not real proud, this one's quick and dirty, but hopefully it's readable. Anyone who feels like it can try and touch it up.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
You're a good man, Charlie Brown.

edit; Hahaha that was loving great.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 9, 2011

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

I'm not real proud, this one's quick and dirty, but hopefully it's readable. Anyone who feels like it can try and touch it up.

Thanks very much!

Pierson posted:

edit; Hahaha that was loving great.

Indeed! The twins are amazing.

EDIT: Everyone's amazing. What a fantastic chapter.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 9, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

I've noticed nothing that's thrown me off. Excellent work.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Yup, good job indeed. Thank you very much for that.

And that chapter was drat good as well.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Yeah that chapter was adorable and interesting.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I love the imaginary situations the twins keep thinking up.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
That chapter was fantastic, thanks for the translation!

linall
Feb 1, 2007
Is the perfect plan!

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Brilliant, thanks for the translation!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

linall posted:

Is the perfect plan!

*reset to balcony sighing*

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Do you know what time it is? Because I know what time it is. It's time for a new goddamn chapter of Vinland Saga.

Finally, some good old-fashioned beheadings :black101:

Dire Penguin
Jun 17, 2006

Why... why is this manga monthly? :negative:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Dire Penguin posted:

I wouldn't be so disappointed with this if it every chapter weren't about half as long as most other monthly manga I've followed in the past.

New Historie too.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy poo poo, Thorgill. :aaa:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

JosephWongKS posted:

Holy poo poo, Thorgill. :aaa:

Yup, god drat is he hard core or what. They were saying in the past that he was amongst the best in Canute's troops.

I have to say though. Why the hell does one of the underlings know the full plan? He could have had separate set of people with the onnes provoking the situation being the only ones to know. The people sent to arrest them could have been kept in the dark.

Munin fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 26, 2011

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Dire Penguin posted:

It used to be weekly at the start. It wasn't nearly as good or beautiful as it is now, though.

jonjonaug posted:

I wouldn't be so disappointed with this if it every chapter weren't about half as long as most other monthly manga I've followed in the past.
Honestly, I don't mind. Plenty of stuff happened. There were three nicely fleshed out scenes. That's... something. Unlike...

I mean, seriously... why does it take this guy a month to make? He left the background of Perinthus a sketch, for goodness sake. I'm sure he's got to have a bunch of other work or something, but it's still frustrating.

This would be a short uneventful chapter for a weekly manga. I guess Historie's been like that for a while, but a short uneventful chapter during a long uneventful arc... you can kind of accept. A short uneventful chapter during a really exciting arc... that's something else.

Still, cant wait for the naval battle.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 26, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Munin posted:

I have to say though. Why the hell does one of the underlings know the full plan? He could have had separate set of people with the onnes provoking the situation being the only ones to know. The people sent to arrest them could have been kept in the dark.

Because just because Canute is capable of keeping us tongue doesn't mean his agents are. Presumably the guys sent to taunt Canute weren't told, but the rest of the "special forces" or guard or whatever had to be be let known who they were arresting, just so they didn't do something else like actually let them go or try to kill them themselves. As Thorgill said, it was policy to let this poo poo slide: the guards had to be let known that the policy wouldn't apply to Thorgill etc, and to expect what was going to happen since they were a key part of the plan.

I'm guessing the key issue here going out is that Canute is vastly underestimating his opponents. He's sending a 104 men, including Jomsvikings which are loving tough, true, but all it needs is a certain tall rear end viking who likes murdering people as much as Thorgill to show up and decide he likes Thorgill for everything to get craaazy.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zorak posted:

I'm guessing the key issue here going out is that Canute is vastly underestimating his opponents. He's sending a 104 men, including Jomsvikings which are loving tough, true, but all it needs is a certain tall rear end viking who likes murdering people as much as Thorgill to show up and decide he likes Thorgill for everything to get craaazy.

Given their destination, it doesn't even need that. Thorffin gets to have his new found pacifism tested. Will he be able to bluff/run his way out of the fight, or will the appearance of Lief at the battleground increase the number of people he'd be willing to go nuts to protect sufficiently to cause him to fight?

Gyges fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 26, 2011

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
There is also the matter of the escaped slave that made his way to Ketil Farm. We don't know what he will do when Canute's forces come, or how good of warrior he is.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

logger posted:

There is also the matter of the escaped slave that made his way to Ketil Farm. We don't know what he will do when Canute's forces come, or how good of warrior he is.
And don't forget Snake, he's pretty badass too. Unless he's not there, I forgot where he went.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

With this, :black101: has fully eclipsed :banjo:. All is well.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Gyges posted:

Given their destination, it doesn't even need that. Thorffin gets to have his new found pacifism tested. Will he be able to bluff/run his way out of the fight, or will the appearance of Lief at the battleground increase the number of people he'd be willing to go nuts to protect sufficiently to cause him to fight?

I'm guessing he'll be pacifistic and it'll get tons of people killed as a result, leaving him doubting his path. :(

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Breaky posted:

With this, :black101: has fully eclipsed :banjo:. All is well.

We just need :farmer101:, with a little hoe or something.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
More Historie and more Vinland Saga? It's like Christmas came early!

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Zorak posted:

I'm guessing he'll be pacifistic and it'll get tons of people killed as a result, leaving him doubting his path. :(

The king will recognize Thorffin and make him the new head of the farm, the story will continue on as a farming manga for the next five years till Thorffin dies from the black plague.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I was about to say that would be historically inaccurate, but I guess Thorfinn No. 2 can go to Vinland instead.

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest

Zorak posted:

I want to say that this is the likely story. Although, I really see a path to Thorfinn Ripping poo poo Up. You gotta remember he has still been having these nightmares, and though he has seemingly settled upon a path of peace, I can still see him having a black out of sorts and just murderizing every enemy in his path. I'll put it at 50-50 at this point. I'm just not ready to canonize Thorfinn, you know.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Doc Hawkins posted:

I was about to say that would be historically inaccurate, but I guess Thorfinn No. 2 can go to Vinland instead.

Nah Thorfinn's family settles down--Thorkell goes to find Vinland both out of boredom and disappointment in Canute.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I've been trying to get into Historie but the first few chapters are just so aggressively bland. On the first few pages of the first chapter a girl gets eviscerated and it's the most :geno: thing. Every panel is stiff with people staring at each other.

I really want to like Historie, it's rare that we get stories about classical times, but... does it get better?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Brannock posted:

I've been trying to get into Historie but the first few chapters are just so aggressively bland. On the first few pages of the first chapter a girl gets eviscerated and it's the most :geno: thing. Every panel is stiff with people staring at each other.

I really want to like Historie, it's rare that we get stories about classical times, but... does it get better?

Yeah, I'd say it gets better. Unfortunately it definitely has its weak spots and overall it just isn't as well developed as either Otoyomegatari or Vinland Saga.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Brannock posted:

It looks stiff, yeah. That never changes. The characters aren't the most emotive.

It's still a really good story if you can look past that, and the setting is loving awesome.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

logger posted:

Didn't he say he's going to meet a certain person? Maybe a relative of Thorfinn.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

Brannock posted:

Late reply here, but Historie does get better. The first few chapters were a bit slow, but liked the art style so I stuck with it. You won't be disappointed!

Unless you finish reading all the available material, then you'll be really sad because there's nothing left.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I'm about 60 chapters into Historie and it really is getting better. A couple chapters had basically scribbles for backgrounds, I assume the assistants were out sick those weeks.

Really enjoying the setting and development of Eumenes/Alexander though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
The artist's faces have the approximate expressiveness of B^U, but you can't deny how epic the large-scale battle panoramas are.

Also Eumenes is boss.