Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

revmoo posted:

On 6cyl E36s, you don't have to re-bleed the surge tank if you drain just it do you? I have to drain it to install a new level sensor but I don't want to bleed the system.

Just open the bleed screw next to the cap on the expansion tank and fill it until it overflows out the bleed screw.. If you try to just refill the expansion tank the car will overheat.

edit: Jesus, sorry, talking about the E46 not the E36. :suicide:

vvvv
:gonk:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
E46 is pretty much the same.

Problem is that I stupidly got the brass bleed screw and it wrecked the plastic threads. I got it on tight but I'm afraid to re-open it.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
I have a friend with an all-stock 135i; are there any potential weaknesses that he should keep in mind when taking it to the track?

(For example in my case I short shift on left hand turns that require heavy breaking beforehand because my car suffers from oil starvation; also the power steering pump tends to leak on hot days)

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Lowclock posted:

Hmmm I haven't looked but maybe you can bypass the leaking part. I thought E34's have like 2 separate heater cores.

It's one core that's divided internally into 2 halves. Two inputs, one shared output :\ So I will replace the core, all the seals and the plastic pipe that links up to the metal pipes that come out of the firewall. Hopefully for the only time in my entire life.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Admirable Gusto posted:

I have a friend with an all-stock 135i; are there any potential weaknesses that he should keep in mind when taking it to the track?

(For example in my case I short shift on left hand turns that require heavy breaking beforehand because my car suffers from oil starvation; also the power steering pump tends to leak on hot days)

Keep an eye on the oil temps. Recommend getting a catch can. Prepare to wear the gently caress outa those brembos.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

revmoo posted:

E46 is pretty much the same.

Problem is that I stupidly got the brass bleed screw and it wrecked the plastic threads. I got it on tight but I'm afraid to re-open it.

E46 cooling system is self-bleeding, E36 is not. I'm pretty sure you're supposed to re-bleed the E36 system if you even look at it wrong.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Nitr0 posted:

Keep an eye on the oil temps.

This. He will also chew up front tires like crazy once he gets fast.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Finally got around to swapping out the VANOS solenoids and the camshaft position sensors on my 118i. The two solenoids and the intake side CPS were easy, but the exhaust side CPS was buried under a bunch of wires and hoses, took twice the time of all the others combined.

I really hope it helps my SES light + rough idle issues. The car felt really crisp and well running on the test drive afterwards, but that might be because I've been driving with four people and a roof cargo box for the last week.

Crossing my fingers.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E..._with_microfil/

So looking at this diagram, you can see the triple pipe coming out of the grommet-y thing at the firewall, it's a metal pipe. That then connects to the pipe that turns around the front of the heater core. It's black plastic. The question is, what is the part number for the black plastic triple pipe?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Those diagrams suck sometimes because many of them aren't actually for the car you specify.

Number 23?

Any way you can take a picture?

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 16, 2011

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
derp

destructo fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 17, 2011

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Would you guys consider paying 12k for a 2002 330I with 54k miles, one crazy anal owner with all records and sport/premium packages crazy? 5 speed. No accidents only summer driven.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yup. Wait.. I would consider doing it. I would consider it not crazy. Reading comprehension.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Where is this car? Even with only 54k miles it sounds steep.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Keyser S0ze posted:

Where is this car? Even with only 54k miles it sounds steep.
I'd be paying $500 over KBB excellent private party but I'm trying to convince myself that the history and the condition (it's seriously goddamn pristine, not a rock chip anywhere) is worth it? It's in MN.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

As the owner of a low-miles, pristine, previously babied 2004 330Ci that I paid a bit on the high end for, yes it's worth it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

That's the older heater core setup, I think, but what I can't figure out is the part number on mine for that black dual pipe that is right in front there. I e-mailed bavauto but they haven't gotten back to me :\

The one for my car, assuming bmwfans is correct, seems to be a bit different because instead of all three pipes plugging into the front of the core, mine looks like there's a short pipe coming from the flange not he end of the pipe through the firewall that connects twice into the core itself and then another pipe that goes around the front. That might all be one big plastic piece, I don't know.

I haven't taken it apart yet because I can still drive it if I need to as it is, and I hate taking things apart and then leaving them while I wait on parts. I always forget how to get it back together.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Yeah that is the earlier setup. Your car won't be like that. Those three tubes are metal all the way to the heater core on all but like first year e34s. Yours should look like this.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
I'm in the market for a used BMW. I've been reading this thread as well as Bimmerforums and a few other resources. My budget caps out at $18k before TT+L but I would love it if I could spend less. Right now, I am considering the following options:

2004-2005 325ci or 330ci
2006 325ci or 330ci
2006 325i

I'm not interested in anything over 60K miles and will give preference towards cars with good maintenance records. I'm a little anxious because of the maintenance requirements of the car and want to make sure that I make a good decision.

Any words of advice?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Get a 330. They are Fun Cars.

I want to say that you should go for a ZHP model but that severely narrows down your selection. That said I personally am glad I held out until I found a good one.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I heavily lean towards the E46, but I do own one. Wasn't the E90 330 a one year model with an engine we never got again (unless you're outside NA)? At that pricepoint if I got an e90 it would be a 335.

For 18k you could get a ridiculously good e46 330i and have a huge chunk of change left over. ZHPs are always more, but you pretty much have to drive one to decide if all the little bits add up to the price premium they demand.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Crustashio posted:

I heavily lean towards the E46, but I do own one. Wasn't the E90 330 a one year model with an engine we never got again (unless you're outside NA)?

the 330 e90 was one year only, but that motor is still used in the 3.0si z4s.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

You can get a very nice ZHP for 18k. I just got one. They are awesome.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Infinotize posted:

I dont get paying that much for a ZHP. I know some one who payed $20k for a 30k miles e46 M3. Are the ZHPs that close to being as fun as an M3?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Infinotize posted:

Or a z3m coupe. For that much money you should be getting more car than a slightly tarted up 3er.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Noggin Monkey posted:

I'm in the market for a used BMW. I've been reading this thread as well as Bimmerforums and a few other resources. My budget caps out at $18k before TT+L but I would love it if I could spend less. Right now, I am considering the following options:

2004-2005 325ci or 330ci
2006 325ci or 330ci
2006 325i

I'm not interested in anything over 60K miles and will give preference towards cars with good maintenance records. I'm a little anxious because of the maintenance requirements of the car and want to make sure that I make a good decision.

Any words of advice?

Hey, I have a 2006 325i with 42k miles, it's a 6 speed, Silver ext, black interior that I'm looking to sell for 18k exactly. I'm in the NYC (NJ zip 07432) area, but I'm willing to take a trip if you are seriously interested.

I need to get a family car...

EDIT: I also have the maintenance records, and it's got a year of factory warranty left. I'm the second owner, the first owner was a dealer that used it as a service loaner for a couple years, it was hardly ever used since it was a manual. The manager of the dealership drove it mostly. I bought it two years ago certified pre-owned with 26k miles on it.

EDIT2: Checked your post history. California...hmm... want me to flat bed the car out there?

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 19, 2011

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

Sadi posted:

I dont get paying that much for a ZHP. I know some one who payed $20k for a 30k miles e46 M3. Are the ZHPs that close to being as fun as an M3?

That's a ridiculously good price for an E46 with that mileage and not typical at all, unless it was in an accident or otherwise beat to poo poo. Normally they hover around $25k with 40-60k miles.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I agree 18k would have to be a very very very nice one. I got one for a little over 16 with 55k and in great shape.

I don't know where all of the really cheap E46s are. I was scouring for zhps a while, and felt that while they are definitely a premium, they aren't crazy expensive. People keep saying you can get a perfect m3 for 20k, zhps for 13 and sport e46s for barely over 10. I don't know where this stuff exists, I certainly didn't see much in the mid atlantic area over the last few months. I'm happy with the amount of "car" I got for the money.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Lowclock posted:

Yeah that is the earlier setup. Your car won't be like that. Those three tubes are metal all the way to the heater core on all but like first year e34s. Yours should look like this.

Yeah, this is the image bavauto sent me:

Ffffuuuuuuu...

What are the odds of an independent shop making a mess of my interior installing this?

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Lowclock posted:

BTW I still want to know if you installed that gauge cluster and about AlternativeAccount's springs and Nait's M5. :mad:
Oh I thought I answered this.

It still throws random CELs maybe twice a month now. I couldn't figure out anything out with it, and both BMW & the indy say to wait for signs of a more severe problem, misfires while the car is RUNNING (not just starting) or a more detailed code. They suspect VANOS, but their "fix" is just to replace the entire unit ($$$$). If it really is VANOS, I'd go to DrVanos first.

So right now, I'm just waiting for it to pop a code other than "bank 1 rich" "bank 1 lean" "misfire cyl 1-4 on start"

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Actually, thinking about selling my car, whats the best resource for selling it? Is there a buy/sell BMW forum by region somewhere?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Infinotize posted:

I don't know where all of the really cheap E46s are. I was scouring for zhps a while, and felt that while they are definitely a premium, they aren't crazy expensive. People keep saying you can get a perfect m3 for 20k, zhps for 13 and sport e46s for barely over 10. I don't know where this stuff exists, I certainly didn't see much in the mid atlantic area over the last few months. I'm happy with the amount of "car" I got for the money.

I'm with you there, every time I read forums about car pricing it seems so out of touch with reality. I've never seen used cars, E46s or otherwise, for anywhere near as cheap as people claim on forums. Maybe it's just my part of the country, or that my standards are too high, or maybe people are compulsive liars on the internet. Or maybe a bit of all three. Yeah, I occasionally run across screaming "deals" like a newer E46 for 9k, but then when actually looking at the car in person it's pretty rough around the edges and has all sorts of "do not buy" red flags. Buying a used car is already a crapshoot and I refuse to buy someone else's basketcase and get nickel and dimed on every little neglected thing just to save some money on the purchase.

When I was shopping for E46s ~6 months ago, even the most poverty-spec, high-miles, questionable-history, automatic 330 was 10k asking price. If you wanted a face-lifted, well-optioned, low miles, all-records E46 330ci ZSP/ZHP (what I was looking for) you were realistically looking at 13-18k. An M3 of simlar vintage and condition was 25-35k.

I ended up paying about 15k for an excellent condition 2004 330Ci 6MT, 55k miles, sport/premium/cold packages, with style 71s wrapped with fresh Pilot Sports and a second set of winter wheels with newer Blizzaks. According to forums, paying anything more than 10k for an E46 is highway robbery (:rolleyes:), but according to my extensive research and local used car market I got a pretty solid deal. 6 months later I'm still incredibly happy with the car and have not run into any lurking issues whatsoever. The PO took OCD-level care of it.

I'd already been on the lookout for a good specimen for MONTHS, and the combination of options, color, and condition I wanted was apparently pretty rare. I wasn't going to let the perfect car slip away for a piddly grand or two.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 19, 2011

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Guinness posted:

I'm with you there, every time I read forums about car pricing it seems so out of touch with reality. I've never seen used cars, E46s or otherwise, for anywhere near as cheap as people claim on forums. Maybe it's just my part of the country, or that my standards are too high, or maybe people are compulsive liars on the internet. Or maybe a bit of all three. Yeah, I occasionally run across screaming "deals" like a newer E46 for 9k, but then when actually looking at the car in person it's pretty rough around the edges and has all sorts of "do not buy" red flags. Buying a used car is already a crapshoot and I refuse to buy someone else's basketcase and get nickel and dimed on every little neglected thing just to save some money on the purchase.

When I was shopping for E46s ~6 months ago, even the most poverty-spec, high-miles, questionable-history, automatic 330 was 10k asking price. If you wanted a face-lifted, well-optioned, low miles, all-records E46 330ci ZSP/ZHP (what I was looking for) you were realistically looking at 13-18k. An M3 of simlar vintage and condition was 25-35k.

I ended up paying about 15k for an excellent condition 2004 330Ci 6MT, 55k miles, sport/premium/cold packages, with style 71s wrapped with fresh Pilot Sports and a second set of winter wheels with newer Blizzaks. According to forums, paying anything more than 10k for an E46 is highway robbery (:rolleyes:), but according to my extensive research and local used car market I got a pretty solid deal. 6 months later I'm still incredibly happy with the car and have not run into any lurking issues whatsoever. The PO took OCD-level care of it.

I'd already been on the lookout for a good specimen for MONTHS, and the combination of options, color, and condition I wanted was apparently pretty rare. I wasn't going to let the perfect car slip away for a piddly grand or two.

It's ridiculously dependant on region. A ZHP with sub 60k miles and no rust would probably fetch 20k here. I was happy as hell when someone listed a 4 door jet black with alcantara interior and 110k. Pounced on it right away for 15k even with an issue or two. I'd rather spend a weekend or two fixing some things then pay for a flight across the country for a car that might not be as it seems.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Actually, thinking about selling my car, whats the best resource for selling it? Is there a buy/sell BMW forum by region somewhere?

Craigslist seems to be pretty good, but can be difficult for buyers (I had a hell of a time searching through spam posts). When I was searching I used Cars.com most of the time.

Forums will be tough since you'll have little exposure and likely selling to enthusiasts who will be extremely picky. You could probably get more money this route if you had a ZHP/M3 though.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Nait Sirhc posted:

So right now, I'm just waiting for it to pop a code other than "bank 1 rich" "bank 1 lean" "misfire cyl 1-4 on start"
Did you try swapping coils and wires between the sides to see if the misfires follow to the other side, or did that do nothing?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
E46 ZHP's have a small population, especially a manual and even more so a coupe - so they deserve a premium.

I guess at this point being that it's now 2012, I personally don't see a ZHP being a HUGE upgrade from a regular 5 speed sport 330 - considering the cars are over 6 years old now and probably due for a suspension refresh and new alcantara bits, etc anyway.

All you are really getting besides that is 10 more HP, a slightly more aggressive diff (but still a pegleg) and a 6th gear. A newer Honda Accord V6 will still beat it in a drag race so it's not like those 10 extra HP really add a whole lot anyway IMO.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Keyser S0ze posted:

All you are really getting besides that is 10 more HP, a slightly more aggressive diff (but still a pegleg) and a 6th gear. A newer Honda Accord V6 will still beat it in a drag race so it's not like those 10 extra HP really add a whole lot anyway IMO.

All 330i/Ci models have a 6-speed manual after March 2003, not just the ZHPs. The ZHPs do have a bit shorter differential gearing, though, which isn't really any better or worse just different.

I've driven both a ZHP and a ZSP, and the difference ended up being so small that I just went with the nicest, best maintained specimen I could find - and that happened to be a ZSP. I also really didn't like the alcantara stuff in the ZHP I drove because it had gotten kind of ratty and just didn't look or feel very "premium" anymore. The whole car was a little rough around the edges, though.

After 60k or so, any difference in factory suspension is pretty moot since both ZSP and ZHP suspensions will need freshening up soon after that point and you can do whatever you want to it then.

I did put the ZHP shift knob on my ZSP for $50. Worth it.

Also, and totally subjective I know, I don't really like how the ZHP wheels look that much. I like the style 71s I've got a lot more. But of course that can be changed easily on any car as well.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 19, 2011

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Oh yeah, I forgot about that........I've had a 2001 and 2002 330. So all 2003 - 2005 end of production 330's manuals will have a 6 speed, excellent.

I do have a donor 3.15 diff ready for install to replace the 2.93 on my 330, I am just tempted to have it installed with an LSD though and blow even more money.

ZHP weighted shift knob and M3 steering wheel are mandatory upgrades for all E46's.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Keyser S0ze posted:

ZHP weighted shift knob and M3 steering wheel are mandatory upgrades for all E46's.

What's so bad about the later sport steering wheel? It's very very similar to the M3 wheel.

Old picture, I've since replaced the wood knob with the ZHP knob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Yeah, even the sport steering wheel is a huge upgrade over the standard wheel.

Mine was sort of grubby on the '02 I bought so I swapped it with a new M3 wheel which is a bit thicker and has some nice soft leather (swapped airbags). Sold the old wheel for $75 to someone on E46 fanatics.

I also put CF fabric over the wood paneling, which was surprisingly easy.

Here was my old sport steering wheel

Ah, I remember I originally had the wood shifter and (since it had a crack in it) first upgraded to the regular tall leather shifter before going for the short weighted ZHP shifter.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 20, 2011