Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
How exactly does one define themselves as an 'avid non-smoker'? Would that mean I could beging calling myself an avid non-baby immolator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Ninja Gamer posted:

He looks like he's trying to be a hipster. :coal:

Related, from IMdB

Has anyone ever asked Wil Wheaton if he's at all disappointed now that he's an adult and doesn't sound like Richard Dreyfuss?

He actully jokes about this on the Blu Ray commentary track.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BeigeJacket posted:

The Island of Dr Moreau is pretty :stare:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Island_of_Dr._Moreau_(1996_film)#Production

Wow, thats terrible. No wonder why Val Kilmer went from being a A lister to appearing in SNL movies.

Mouser.. posted:

A documentary on a film that had Murphy's Law to the full extent was Lost in La Mancha. It's about Terry Gilliams aborted attempt to make a Don Quixote movie which was beset with so many problems that he finally had to give up on the entire production.

While Lost in La Mancha is excellent, I don't consider it on the same level as the others. Its more just every kind of bad luck that could happen to a production happened to it.

Movies are such a big business, and its an amazing mix of egos, wildly different levels of talent and professionalism and sums of money thrown at things that are staggering.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Wild T posted:

How exactly does one define themselves as an 'avid non-smoker'? Would that mean I could beging calling myself an avid non-baby immolator?

Some people don't smoke just because they don't really feel like it. Other people don't smoke because they have a strong conviction against it. It is strange language though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Non-smokers don't smoke, avid non-smokers are jerks about it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Where would one go about buying a 35mm film projector and about how much do they run? I have a bunch of 35mm reels I'd like to check out.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Should I read Strindberg's A Dream Play before or after watching After the Rehearsal?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

twistedmentat posted:

Are there any other movies that have really fascinating stories on why they became a ,disaster? I've read all about Cleopatra, and its madness, but there has to be other films that go from good idea of "wtf?"

Here's Kevin Smith's story about working on the failed TIm Burton Superman movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgYhLIThTvk

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Steve Yun posted:

Where would one go about buying a 35mm film projector and about how much do they run? I have a bunch of 35mm reels I'd like to check out.

You'd buy it from an old theater and you'd spend a lot more than you're willing to, especially if you want sound.

Also they're huge... so I hope you have a basement somewhere that you're not using.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Wow, thats terrible. No wonder why Val Kilmer went from being a A lister to appearing in SNL movies.

I didn't understand the Will Rogers reference in the Wikipedia article.

Schweinhund posted:

Here's Kevin Smith's story about working on the failed TIm Burton Superman movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgYhLIThTvk

That had a good payoff at the end.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Zogo posted:

I didn't understand the Will Rogers reference in the Wikipedia article.
Will Rogers famously said that he never met a man he didn't like.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

That makes sense. I've heard the name but I don't think I've seen him in anything.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

NeuroticErotica posted:

You'd buy it from an old theater and you'd spend a lot more than you're willing to, especially if you want sound.

Also they're huge... so I hope you have a basement somewhere that you're not using.

Taking them to a local art cinema might not be a bad idea.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Is there a version of the "The Thin Red Line" with all of the deleted scenes floating around, and can I buy it?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

cheerfullydrab posted:

Is there a version of the "The Thin Red Line" with all of the deleted scenes floating around, and can I buy it?

The closest thing to that is the Criterion Blu Ray edition, which has 15 minutes of deleted scenes in the extras.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Are there any other movies that have really fascinating stories on why they became a ,disaster? I've read all about Cleopatra, and its madness, but there has to be other films that go from good idea of "wtf?"

Sortof related: http://www.cracked.com/article_19548_the-5-most-horrifyingly-wasteful-film-shoots.html

Five most horrifyingly wasteful film shoots.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Non-smokers don't smoke, avid non-smokers are jerks about it.

To expand on this:

Non-smoker: Excuse me sir, I would prefer if you did not smoke in my house, a private location completely under my control. Please take that outside and re-join the group when you're done.

Avid non-smoker: Hey! Cut that poo poo out! I know we are standing 100 yards away from eachother in an open field with a strong wind blowing and a mild rain, but I sure as hell don't want to catch cancer from seeing a cigarette. And don't think I'm gonna let you smoke in your car either! Roads are public, Cancer Merchant!

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

foodfight posted:

Sortof related: http://www.cracked.com/article_19548_the-5-most-horrifyingly-wasteful-film-shoots.html

Wow, that's crazy. I think I'd feel sick watching Ben-Hur after reading that. Jesus.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CzarChasm posted:

To expand on this:

Non-smoker: Excuse me sir, I would prefer if you did not smoke in my house, a private location completely under my control. Please take that outside and re-join the group when you're done.

Avid non-smoker: Hey! Cut that poo poo out! I know we are standing 100 yards away from eachother in an open field with a strong wind blowing and a mild rain, but I sure as hell don't want to catch cancer from seeing a cigarette. And don't think I'm gonna let you smoke in your car either! Roads are public, Cancer Merchant!

To be fair, this was back in the 80s when everyone was smoking everywhere all the time and cigarette companies were still clandestinely advertising to kids. There was a lot more to be avid about back then, and a lot more at stake than being passive-aggressively strawmanned by addicts.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

cloudchamber posted:

Should I read Strindberg's A Dream Play before or after watching After the Rehearsal?

I've watched After the Rehearsal twice and didn't care much for it either time. Perhaps reading A Dream Play would have made it better.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

foodfight posted:

Wow, that is crazy. I heard about the Ten Commandment's buried city, isn't there a crappy Sci-fi Channel movie about it?

What is the name of the Aliens documentary? Its about 2 hours long, gets really detailed in every aspect of the 4 films, talks about things like the other versions of Alien 3, has Giger saying that the Alien in Resurrection looks like a "turd".

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

What is the name of the Aliens documentary? Its about 2 hours long, gets really detailed in every aspect of the 4 films, talks about things like the other versions of Alien 3, has Giger saying that the Alien in Resurrection looks like a "turd".

On the anthology set? Each one has a separate documentary. They're called:

The Beast Within: The Making of Alien
Superior Firepower: The Making of Aliens
Wreckage and Rage: The Making of Alien 3
One Step Beyond: The Making of Alien Resurrection

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

FitFortDanga posted:

I've watched After the Rehearsal twice and didn't care much for it either time. Perhaps reading A Dream Play would have made it better.

I just got a big volume of Strindberg plays from the Library so I guess I'll read it first then.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Hibernator posted:

There's also "The Alien Legacy" which was a 5th disc that you had to mail in the UPC from the Legacy DVD boxed set to get. Only available for a limited time, too. It wasn't in the Alien Quadrilogy boxed set, but I believe it resurfaced in the Blu-Ray boxed set.

Edit: You're probably thinking of "The Alien Saga" which was a cable documentary that ran 108 minutes, had a separate DVD release http://www.digitalbits.com/reviews3/aliensaga.html , but is also available in the Blu Anthology box.

Google also found this: http://www.shadowlocked.com/20101026845/news/watch-some-mind-blowing-alien-extras-not-on-the-blu-ray-anthology.html

Go nuts.

Additional edit with an additional link: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviewshd/bdreviews102210.html - great rundown of all the special features. Here's an excerpt:

"You'll also be happy to learn that yes, Sharpline Arts' excellent Alien Legacy documentary is finally included here, as is the 2001 Alien Saga documentary. And all of the older laserdisc archive material is here too. One additional note, however: If you have Image Entertainment's original Alien Saga DVD, you may wish to keep it. It includes a couple things not available on the Anthology or anywhere else, including 4 short Aliens production featurettes (Grunts in Space, Behind the Scenes and profile pieces on James Cameron and Sigourney Weaver) as well as a bit of uncut Sigourney Weaver screen test footage. Most of the same screen test footage is here on the Anthology, but it's been censored."

Five Cent Deposit fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 16, 2011

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hibernator posted:

No, this one was about 2 hours long, it was all a solid feature. They would talk to people involved with the movies and behind them they'd often have old timy green computer graphics of facehuggers and stuff.

It was really fascinating, as they got into the strange idea for Alien 3 with the wooden spaceship full of monks and stuff.

EDIT: Ah! Alien Saga! Thanks!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Not a General Movie Question as much of a General Movie Forum Question:

Is it kosher to 'necro' one of the Movie Of The Month threads? I watched Little Shop of Horrors the other day, which was the September MOTM, but I'd feel silly if it was an unwritten rule of Don't Bring Up The Old Movie Of The Month threads...

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

twistedmentat posted:

No, this one was about 2 hours long, it was all a solid feature. They would talk to people involved with the movies and behind them they'd often have old timy green computer graphics of facehuggers and stuff.

It was really fascinating, as they got into the strange idea for Alien 3 with the wooden spaceship full of monks and stuff.

EDIT: Ah! Alien Saga! Thanks!

If, like me, you have the Blu Anthology then you're in luck, it's in the Archives section. But if not, or if you're a crazy completionist, Amazon has the standalone DVD (with extra stuff) for only 9 bucks. Hell, check netflix too. I'm also definitely planning to try to download those other free docs I linked to.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Detective Thompson posted:

What do films use when they want to portray marijuana, both in the smoking and in the buds themselves (if they aren't using the same thing for both)?

I can finally use this completely useless information i learned. They used this stuff called flock - its some type of poo poo that is used to make small model trees for train sets, you can buy it in bags at Hobby lobby and bunch together it looks like marijuana as you can mix brown and green flock.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
What about cocaine? I felt bad for Heather Graham and Julianne Moore in Boogie Nights in that one scene where they're holed up in a bedroom doing line after line because I imagine several takes of those scenes would be hell on the nasal passages regardless of what was being snorted. Is there something they use that lessens the damage/irritation?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Five Cent Deposit posted:

If, like me, you have the Blu Anthology then you're in luck, it's in the Archives section. But if not, or if you're a crazy completionist, Amazon has the standalone DVD (with extra stuff) for only 9 bucks. Hell, check netflix too. I'm also definitely planning to try to download those other free docs I linked to.

I want to anthology on BR, so its nice to hear that its on there.

Flock? You mean stuff like this

http://i.imgur.com/NrDxv.jpg

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

twistedmentat posted:

I want to anthology on BR, so its nice to hear that its on there.

Flock? You mean stuff like this

http://i.imgur.com/NrDxv.jpg

Yeah you can buy it so that its already in clumps. It really does look like marijuana. I was doing some PA work for a movie and this was a big part of it was stuffing this poo poo in bags to make it look like packaged marijuana.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

the Bunt posted:

What about cocaine? I felt bad for Heather Graham and Julianne Moore in Boogie Nights in that one scene where they're holed up in a bedroom doing line after line because I imagine several takes of those scenes would be hell on the nasal passages regardless of what was being snorted. Is there something they use that lessens the damage/irritation?

Often powdered milk is used, but I don't know if that's what they used in Boogie Nights.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

the Bunt posted:

Mannitol, which you can get over the counter as a laxative for children, is often used. It doesn't cause damage but, yes, it does work as a laxative.

It's also sometimes used to cut real coke, which is probably why someone first thought of using it on a set.

marktheando posted:

Often powdered milk is used, but I don't know if that's what they used in Boogie Nights.
Powdered lactose specifically, which is usually sold as powdered milk sweetener or powdered milk sugar. Both lactose and mannitol are also sometimes used as artificial sweeteners.

SubG fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 16, 2011

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

Is it kosher to 'necro' one of the Movie Of The Month threads? I watched Little Shop of Horrors the other day, which was the September MOTM, but I'd feel silly if it was an unwritten rule of Don't Bring Up The Old Movie Of The Month threads...

I've done it before and I don't think there's any issue with doing that. It's also mentioned as being okay to do in the rules thread.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

SubG posted:

Mannitol, which you can get over the counter as a laxative for children, is often used. It doesn't cause damage but, yes, it does work as a laxative.

It's also sometimes used to cut real coke, which is probably why someone first thought of using it on a set.

Powdered lactose specifically, which is usually sold as powdered milk sweetener or powdered milk sugar. Both lactose and mannitol are also sometimes used as artificial sweeteners.

A friend of mine worked at a health food store and always found it unnerving how many people that bought nothing but large quantities of lactose powder with cash on a fairly regular basis.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

SubG posted:

Vitamin C is also used at times.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!

NeuroticErotica posted:

Vitamin C is also used at times.

Really? I would think that would sting like hell.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Ninja Gamer posted:

Really? I would think that would sting like hell.
Maybe it's meant to to seem more authentic. I've been told that cocaine stings too.
I've got some VC powder that I use for baking but am not prepared, in the name of science, to snort it to find out if it stings.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

therattle posted:

I've got some VC powder that I use for baking but am not prepared, in the name of science, to snort it to find out if it stings.

You are using it to get baked.

:rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I remember in the Boogie Nights commentary the director mentioning that they were snorting fructose.