Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillerBean
May 5, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

JohnClark posted:

The one that jumped out at me the most though was the claim about someone have a "welfare card" from 1991. That strikes me as impossible, and though she doesn't say EBT card, she references them in other places and never mentions welfare cards again. If she meant EBT card here, then it's literally impossible because those didn't even exist until the late 90s.

Yes, passed in the 1990s was the bill that limited lifetime welfare to five total years. Sorry "born in 1991" cashier person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

KillerBean posted:

Yes, passed in the 1990s was the bill that limited lifetime welfare to five total years. Sorry "born in 1991" cashier person.

Make sure to specify that that doesn't include disability. Because holy gently caress, people will tune you out entirely if they think "BUT I KNOW SOMEONE GETTING GOVERNMENT MONEY FOR WAY LONGER THAN 5 YEARS!!"

Kosmonaut
Mar 9, 2009

Slaan posted:

Why do you still get his feed again?

Isn't it obvious?

ts12 posted:

He is every possible awful thing on earth combined.

ts12
Jul 24, 2007
I think the best part of all these is they think that food stamps give you like four grand a month or something. For a variety of reasons that aren't important I had to apply for them a little bit back. With absolutely zero income (and no dependents) I got $160.00 a month. I'm not complaining at all about it, but drat I want to know how to get the serious government money these Welfare Queens (tm) are getting.

I have to admit that I really did want to go to Whole Foods or something and buy the most ridiculous poo poo possible in hopes that I could convince someone I was living high on the government teat or something but alas I did not

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

It's so horrible yet I can't stop reading them. Are you sure he's real and not some amazing troll combining the worst of everything (haha no, I know he's got to be real because there's no way you could keep this up).

If that's actually his picture, he looks like a 16 year old goober, how on earth is he married with a son.

ts12
Jul 24, 2007

Zero_Grade posted:

It's so horrible yet I can't stop reading them. Are you sure he's real and not some amazing troll combining the worst of everything (haha no, I know he's got to be real because there's no way you could keep this up).

If that's actually his picture, he looks like a 16 year old goober, how on earth is he married with a son.

That is him and he is definitely real, I know people who actually know him (albeit indirectly)

KillerBean
May 5, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

XyloJW posted:

Make sure to specify that that doesn't include disability. Because holy gently caress, people will tune you out entirely if they think "BUT I KNOW SOMEONE GETTING GOVERNMENT MONEY FOR WAY LONGER THAN 5 YEARS!!"

Of course. The funniest part is that I'm sure 99% of the time its wild extrapolations of observations which are based on preexisting prejudices. I.E. well to do black family in a nice car are either on welfare or selling drugs, hispanic people anywhere are illegals from mexico, ad infinitum. I'm sure most of the people harboring these abhorrent views have never actually spoken - or befriended - with someone on government assistance... Unless of course they themselves are receiving medicare :twisted:

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

quote:

I lack the ability to be a "true believer" of anything.

quote:

I am a traditionalist. Gender roles exist for a reason, and that reason is sound.

I am libertarian, and believe you should do with your life as you wish, but reserve the right to judge you for it.

I love my wife, and would choose her over any of my children. I believe that anyone who disagrees with the last statement doesn't take marriage seriously enough.

I believe the Bible to be a historical record, guided by those who knew God.

I believe that Christ's coming was God's way of pushing us out of the nest. He gave us all the tools we needed to succeed in this world, and has left us to our own devices, hoping that we step up into moral adulthood. He no longer invests himself physically in our lives; we asked for a king in the Old Testament, and were given one despite His worries. We demanded remission of sins and eternal salvation without the structured mechanism of sacrifice. We are free individuals. I believe that no-fault divorce is government-backed fraud. The Church's general avoidance of condemning divorce in their congregations is a moral travesty, and undermines their moral authority.

I believe in the concept of Human Biodiversity.*

I am firm in my beliefs, though I am open to changing them with exposure to logic and reason, or even cleverly formed emotional appeal.

* - WTF is this? Some racist poo poo trying to act like science? Like "Blacks really are different than Whites guys, thats why we have treat them accordingly"?

ts12
Jul 24, 2007

Sarion posted:

* - WTF is this? Some racist poo poo trying to act like science? Like "Blacks really are different than Whites guys, thats why we have treat them accordingly"?

Yeah, also known as "race realism". It's new age racist anthropology basically

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If the races breed and mix it will result in less diversity. So really it's the race and culture mixers who are the REAL RACISTS.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I said it before but he literally named his son after the fat drunk king of the story who was shown over and over again to be a leader more worried about boning his queen and chugging mead than really fixing the whole Grendel thing until Beowulf came in to clear his debt. There's no reason to name a kid Hrothgar other than 'sicka dem darkies and their jungle names, gonna give my kid a good white name! *googles Beowulf, grabs the first name not Beowulf*

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

ts12 posted:

more of this rear end in a top hat.

This is the guy, by the way. Looks exactly how I expected. Some faces you just want to hit repeatedly with a cricket bat. This is one of those faces.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
Dude's got Steven Tyler lips.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
And recessed ears...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I really don't think making fun of how the dude looks is necessary. His opinions are completely terrible, that seems like enough fodder. I'm sure there's plenty of people who agree with every part of your political ideals who look just as weird.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

It is just a tiny bit hypocritical to call out someone's terrible views, then follow it up with "and he's weird looking to boot!"

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Walter posted:

This is the guy, by the way. Looks exactly how I expected. Some faces you just want to hit repeatedly with a cricket bat. This is one of those faces.

That? Has a woman? And a son? Seriously?

One thing him and I share in common -- I do like the Fourth Turning book. I'm a member and very occasional poster in the forums based around the book. And I'm trying to see if this guy is a part of that forum, or if he's been there before and they've simply kicked him out (wouldn't be shocking). Will let you know if I find anything.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Countblanc posted:

I really don't think making fun of how the dude looks is necessary. His opinions are completely terrible, that seems like enough fodder. I'm sure there's plenty of people who agree with every part of your political ideals who look just as weird.

What, you making assumptions that I was mocking someone with awesome lips? :colbert:

ts12
Jul 24, 2007
I think calling him out for being a goofy looking dude is only appropriate because one of the things neither he nor his wife will shut up about is their stupid loving übermensch Norse heritage and how beautiful white people are.

That and he posted the stupid video that made the internet rounds about whether men and women can be friends (spoiler: the video says no) with the comment "only if the women are ugly" :smug:

What an rear end in a top hat

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.

Amarkov posted:

It's every slut-shaming tactic wrapped up in one. Your sexuality is a commodity that you dispense like a cow dispenses milk; if you give away this commodity for free, people won't think it has any value and that is your fault.

I never give it away for free. You have to buy me some drinks first.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Countblanc posted:

Absolutely there are. But there's something satisfying about seeing a guy who has completely reprehensible opinions, and realizing that he looks like just as much of a prick as you thought.

Conversely, the first time I ever saw a picture of Osama bin Laden, I thought: "That guy? But he looks so friendly."

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

JohnClark posted:

Posted on a friend's facebook today, this is full of material from poo poo-that-never-happened.txt

http://thecollegeconservative.com/2011/12/13/my-time-at-walmart-why-we-need-serious-welfare-reform/

We've got the usual suspects from the conservative welfare greatest hits: people with cell phones (why didn't they immediately sell every non-essential item when they started collecting TANF?!), people buying steaks (eat ramen and like it, lazy assholes!), and of course people being upset that their card didn't ring as expected, which in my years as a cashier I NEVER encountered with people not on welfare.

The one that jumped out at me the most though was the claim about someone have a "welfare card" from 1991. That strikes me as impossible, and though she doesn't say EBT card, she references them in other places and never mentions welfare cards again. If she meant EBT card here, then it's literally impossible because those didn't even exist until the late 90s.
My favorite part about the EBT stuff is that one of the "Extravagant" items is a birthday cake. So basically if you are poor gently caress your birthday!

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

That collegeconservative post is essentially a re-written hit piece by the heritage foundation with a few made up anecdotes.

http://www.fixwelfare.com/the-problem/

They take issue with the maximum monthly income to receive cash benefits. The limit? $1023. A month. They think a family making that little is making too much to receive benefits.

Not only do her numbers not match up (20 years of living on welfare? not likely), but the #1 thing that stands out is this - What business of it is hers that she can judge what food these people buy?

Oh, and this part

quote:

Furthermore, spending on welfare has increased dramatically, but there has been no reduction of the poverty rate.

How dense do you have to be to come to this conclusion? To get the cause and effect so wrong?

24-7 Urkel Cosplay fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 15, 2011

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch
The old "Bill Gates's Bootstrappingest 11 Rules" showed up, and I got so mad I wrote a line-by-line rebuttal as a note and linked to it (to avoid her wall going nuclear):

quote:

So someone else posted this (often mis-attributed) list of "Rules for Kids Today" that is a little scary and awful. Here's a line-by-line refutation of it, with my notes in italics.

Rule No. 1: Life is not fair. Get used to it. The average teen-ager uses the phrase "It's not fair"

8.6 times a day. You got it from your parents, who said it so often you decided they must be the most idealistic generation ever. When they started hearing it from their own kids, they realized Rule No. 1.

8.6% of statistics are made up on the spot. Spouting paternalistic crap (see end note) doesn't make this rule useful. And I'd go so far as to say YOUR generation, Mr. Free-Love-Woodstock-Visualize-World-Peace is the most idealistic. You sound like a curmudgeonly old fart who was one of the starched-shirt wearing "squares" in the 60's who spent the decade furiously masterbating instead of getting laid in the Summer of '69 like everyone else. Did you also think George Wallace had the right idea against those "Uppity" types?

Rule No. 2: The real world won't care as much about your self-esteem as much as your school does. It'll expect you to accomplish something before you feel good about yourself. This may come as a shock. Usually, when inflated self-esteem meets reality, kids complain that it's not fair. (See Rule No. 1)

Yeah, gently caress YOU wanting the world to respect you and your opinions. gently caress YOU for wanting to feel like you have valuable, unique input on the projects at your job. gently caress YOU for expecting equality based on your skin/gender/body type and to have different viewpoints and life experiences be valid. gently caress YOU if you aren't a straight white christian male. Your esteem issues based on childhood achievements (when you're still only 18) are invalid and do not matter.

(This paragraph is sarcasm)

Rule No. 3: Sorry, you won't make $40,000 a year right out of high school. And you won't be a vice president or have a car phone either. You may even have to wear a uniform that doesn't have a Gap label.

Ooh, edgy stance, bro. Why shouldn't all people be guaranteed a living wage out of school? Is it because you're so terrified of the younger generation having a chance, that you can't allow them to support a family on just one job? That we have to bury our children under mountains of student-loan debt? And PS, http://occupywallstreet.com - we just want a chance at 40k out of school.

Rule No. 4: If you think your teacher is tough, wait 'til you get a boss. He doesn't have tenure, so he tends to be a bit edgier. When you screw up, he's not going to ask you how you feel about it.

He doesn't have 'tenure' (ie Labor Rights) because YOUR MOTHERFUCKING GREEDY GENERATION SPENT THE LAST 30 YEARS SYSTEMICALLY DESTROYING PROGRESSIVE LABOR RIGHTS. The Boss is on edge because he's beholden to the whims of an insane, computer-run stock market that makes money on volatility and gives no gently caress about the working class affected by that.

Rule No. 5: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping. They called it opportunity. They weren't embarrassed making minimum wage either. They would have been embarrassed to sit around talking about Kurt Cobain all weekend.

No words. This is just stupefying. In case you didn't know, the age of promoting from within, "starting in the mailroom and working your way up" is gone. Dead as Dillinger. "Wage Slavery" is a real thing, where corporate CEOs systemically drive down wages to keep people from having enough money to quit, live off savings for a bit while they seek better work, and get a better job.

Rule No. 6: It's not your parents' fault. If you screw up, you are responsible. This is the flip side of "It's my life," and "You're not the boss of me," and other eloquent proclamations of your generation. When you turn 18, it's on your dime. Don't whine about it, or you'll sound like a baby boomer.

Yes, because we are like sharks, giving live birth and then liable to turn around and snap up our young as just "more food." We're not communal creatures that have a social contract to respect and help each other in times of need. Hint: When this person complains about "criminals," they're talking about people whose parents didn't provide them with the tools to build a life, and society at large didn't offer any help either, so they are only left with "criminal" choices.

Rule No. 7: Before you were born your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way paying your bills, cleaning up your room and listening to you tell them how idealistic you are. And by the way, before you save the rain forest from the blood-sucking parasites of your parents' generation, try delousing the closet in your bedroom.

"gently caress THE ENVIRONMENT! Anyone who cares about their future and their theoretical kids' future is a dirty, louse-infested hippy!" I feel so much better that your generation makes the environmental protection laws.

Rule No. 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers. Life hasn't. In some schools, they'll give you as many times as you want to get the right answer. Failing grades have been abolished and class valedictorians scrapped, lest anyone's feelings be hurt. Effort is as important as results. This, of course, bears not the slightest resemblance to anything in real life. (See Rule No. 1, Rule No. 2 and Rule No. 4.)

shit_that_never_happened.txt

Rule No. 9: Life is not divided into semesters, and you don't get summers off. Not even Easter break. They expect you to show up every day. For eight hours. And you don't get a new life every 10 weeks. It just goes on and on. While we're at it, very few jobs are interested in fostering your self-expression or helping you find yourself. Fewer still lead to self-realization. (See Rule No. 1 and Rule No. 2.)

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved wage-slavery.

Rule No. 10: Television is not real life. Your life is not a sitcom. Your problems will not all be solved in 30 minutes, minus time for commercials. In real life, people actually have to leave the coffee shop to go to jobs. Your friends will not be as perky or pliable as Jennifer Aniston.

People can't get jobs, at all. And the ones available have been so flooded with employees that capital is free to drive down benefits and wages, saying "if you don't like it, you can starve." Life is hard work, but middle-America, dumb white selfish greedy middle America spent the last ten years in an orgy of double-dipping, using their houses as ATMs to invest in sure-thing financial products with unrealistic returns, and evil, crony-capitalist bankers laughed all the way to the bank (which they already owned anyway).

Rule No. 11: Be nice to nerds. You may end up working for them. We all could.

Or, we could all end up either out of work or working for crony-capitalists who had the good sense to be born into wealth. The Bootstrap Myth needs to die right here, right now. American Social Mobility is at its lowest since the Gilded Age, and it's getting worse. If we don't want a permanent underclass, it's time to stop thinking in terms of culture and think in terms of class.

BONUS END NOTE:

(this one, Rule No. 12, usually gets cut off, because it's pretty illustrative of what this author *really* hates):

Rule No. 12: Smoking does not make you look cool. It makes you look moronic. Next time you're out cruising, watch an 11-year-old with a butt in his mouth. That's what you look like to anyone over 20. Ditto for "expressing yourself" with purple hair and/or pierced body parts.

DERN KIDS WITH YER DYED HAIR AND PIERCINGS, EXPRESSING YOURSELF AND LEARNING WHAT IT MEANS TO HAVE AN IDENTITY AND AGENCY, HOW DARE YE, YA WHIPPERSNAPPERS!

So yeah, Charles Sykes, burn in hell sooner rather than later you reactionary, evil gently caress

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

You look equally irrational and emotionally-driven in your response, dude. That isn't so much a rebuttal as it is a retort.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Woah woah hold the phone. Scarborough Maine? I lived around there for 4 years. Despite the whole thing being bullshit because of the ebt card as already pointed out. Lobster. In Maine. Is loving cheap. You can get 4 good sized lobster for under 25$. And a huge sheetcake from walmart is not exactly the most expensive thing out there.

I have been to the Super Walmart there plenty of times. In fact my wife had a baby there and used WIC at that walmart plenty of times. So guess what bitch, you know that support your troops ribbion on your Moms SUV? Yeah thats us, your loving troops, the welfare queens, who need WIC to feed our loving children.

I'm also sure the shoppers in line waited an hour and a half just to tell you how good of a republican you are.

gently caress!

KillerBean
May 5, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I made 40k out of school and look cool smoking. gently caress that dude.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
I like it. Lets tattoo this on the face of every old person ever.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

angrytech posted:

I like it. Lets tattoo this on the face of every old person ever.

It's just an ideological response to an ideological assertion. There's no rebutting going on, it's essentially saying "nuh-uh!" with some finger-pointing like this going on:

quote:

And I'd go so far as to say YOUR generation, Mr. Free-Love-Woodstock-Visualize-World-Peace is the most idealistic. You sound like a curmudgeonly old fart who was one of the starched-shirt wearing "squares" in the 60's who spent the decade furiously masterbating instead of getting laid in the Summer of '69 like everyone else.

That's a thorough rebuttal of an emotionally-driven ideological argument if I've ever seen one.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

From the author of the "poors should be eating cardboard" rant

quote:

“I’m having the time of my life,” Rousselle said. “I would love to do this full-time. My dream job is to be Ann Coulter.”

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Also, Bill Gates is one of the least bootstrapping people you could bring up. From wikipedia:

quote:

[Bill Gates's]father was a prominent lawyer, and his mother served on the board of directors for First Interstate BancSystem and the United Way. Gates's maternal grandfather was J. W. Maxwell, a national bank president.
At 13 he enrolled in the Lakeside School, an exclusive preparatory school.
Yeah. Real rags to riches there. Sure earned the pedestal from which to preach at us self-entitled plebeians with the sweat of his own brow. :rolleyes:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Did Bill Gates even write that or is that another one of those random screeds with some famous name attached to it?

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

rscott posted:

Did Bill Gates even write that or is that another one of those random screeds with some famous name attached to it?
Oh it's false-attributed as hell. The real author is Charles J.Sykes, noted author of dumb books.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/schoolrules.asp

quote:

Charles J. Sykes is senior fellow at the Wisconsin Policy Research Institute and a talk show host at WTMJ radio in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He has written forThe New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and USA Today and is the author of six previous books: A Nation of Victims, Dumbing Down Our Kids, Profscam, The Hollow Men, The End of Privacy, and 50 Rules Kids Won't Learn in School.
His new book coming out in January is called A Nation of Moochers. He's the Baby Boomer generation incarnate.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

There's a sign in Jimmy Johns that has those rules attributed to the Jimmy Johns founder.

The signs in Jimmy Johns are condescending as all hell though.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Chunk posted:

There's a sign in Jimmy Johns that has those rules attributed to the Jimmy Johns founder.

The signs in Jimmy Johns are condescending as all hell though.

Jimmy Johns is a way better restaurant if you just refuse to acknowledge that you can actually eat AT Jimmy Johns.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

rscott posted:

Really? How long have you been reading this thread? You must know the answer to this by now.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

TehSaurus posted:

Really? How long have you been reading this thread? You must know the answer to this by now.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Political emails: There are always the same 5 forwards, and they are always misattributed.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

TehSaurus posted:

I was skimming the thread at work v:shobon:v

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Man-Thing posted:

The old "Bill Gates's Bootstrappingest 11 Rules" showed up, and I got so mad I wrote a line-by-line rebuttal as a note and linked to it (to avoid her wall going nuclear):

The thing that needs to be pointed out about the "flipping burgers is not beneath you" is 1) Not even those jobs are available now and 2) Republicans have been screaming the last three years that even if you do have that job, then you deserve to die in a gutter when you get sick.

And the business world is Darwinian? Wall Street got awarded trillions of dollars for intentionally wrecking the economy from one party, and the other party made the idea that they should spend every cent on hookers and blow one of the main planks of their platform.
Are you familiar with the term "golden parachute?" It's when an executive is bad at his or her job, so his or her boss gives them more money than any one of us will ever see.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Boondock Saint posted:

Billy Graham's daughter was interviewed on the Early Show and Jane Clayson asked her 'How could God let something like this happen?' (regarding Hurricane Katrina).. Anne Graham gave an extremely profound and insightful response. She said, 'I believe God is deeply saddened by this, just as we are, but for years we've been telling God to get out of our schools, to get out of our government and to get out of our lives. And being the gentleman He is, I believe He has calmly backed out. How can we expect God to give us His blessing and His protection if we demand He leave us alone?'

In light of recent events... terrorists attack, school shootings, etc. I think it started when Madeleine Murray O'Hare (she was murdered, her body found a few years ago) complained she didn't want prayer in our schools, and we said OK. Then someone said you better not read the Bible in school. The Bible says thou shalt not kill; thou shalt not steal, and love your neighbor as yourself. And we said OK.

Then Dr. Benjamin Spock said we shouldn't spank our children when they misbehave, because their little personalities would be warped and we might damage their self-esteem (Dr. Spock's son committed suicide). We said an expert should know what he's talking about. And we said okay.

Now we're asking ourselves why our children have no conscience, why they don't know right from wrong, and why it doesn't bother them to kill strangers, their classmates, and themselves.

Probably, if we think about it long and hard enough, we can figure it out. I think it has a great deal to do with 'WE REAP WHAT WE SOW.'

I thought this looked familiar. Thanks a lot, America.