Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Started reading Snow Crash for the first time. Am I supposed to think some of this is ridiculous?

The Deliverator? Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Dear RMS posted:

Started reading Snow Crash for the first time. Am I supposed to think some of this is ridiculous?

Do you really have to ask?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hiro protagonist

please tell me that's a wiki joke edit

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

hiro protagonist

please tell me that's a wiki joke edit

nope

you just don't get it maaaaaaaaaaan

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
it sorta starts out as an amusing parody and then slowly over the course of about 100 pages stephenson forgets its a parody

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

rotor posted:

it sorta starts out as an amusing parody and then slowly over the course of about 100 pages stephenson forgets its a parody

this,

also, Ready Player One is basically the sequel to Snowcrash but written for juniors

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

at least he writes really good endings

neal stephenson is enjoyable, but he's not nearly clever enough to pull off the kinds of books he tries to write

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

neal stephenson is enjoyable, but he's not nearly clever enough to pull off the kinds of books he tries to write

ready player one finished equally as abruptly, I even read the acknowledgements just to see if Stephensen helped write it.

basically if your 18 and liked snowcrash but thought it was too deep and lacked 80s references out the rear end then Ready Player One is for you

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

TOOT BOOT posted:

I gave up after the Turing one I like an ending that doesn't make it clear that he either got bored or had no clue where the book was supposed to go before he started it

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

rotor posted:

Hrm

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

rotor posted:

yeah, but i still like it.

gently caress the baroque cycle though.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

mr_jim posted:

Cryptonomicon, Snowcrash then stop reading

(starting Reamde after I read Master of Doom, is it any good?)

sticky wizard
Nov 19, 2008

mr_jim posted:

really? i just orderd that poo poo on the amazon

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Coffee Quack posted:

if you can't make 2l of beer vanish in at least a weekend you probably aren't even buying stuff you like

to be clear, i'm a total loving lightweight.

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

well

goons love cryptonomicon and snowcrash and hate reamde and zodiac

draw your own conclusions

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i thought diamond age was pretty neat

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0 posted:

well

goons love cryptonomicon and snowcrash and hate reamde and zodiac

draw your own conclusions

honestly I hated Anathem (got maybe 1/4 through) and his silver age books where god awful.

I heard that he use to write his books in pen first so that it would stop him from rambling on, it didn't work

quote:

“I’ve written every word of it so far with fountain pen on paper. Part of the theory was that it would make me less long-winded, but it hasn’t actually worked.”

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

atomicthumbs posted:

i thought diamond age was pretty neat

diamond age was my favorite by a mile

snow crash was pretty decent

cryptonomicon was ridiculous but it was written well enough for the first half then i had that sunk cost fallacy goin and motored on through to what is literally the worst ending to a book i've ever read

i didnt read any more after that

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Dear RMS posted:

The Deliverator? Really?

The protagonist is called Hiro Protagonist. I'm pretty sure you're meant to take it 100% seriously

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

dont forget

snow crash is why the guy behind realplayer created second life.

yep

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

don't forget the early vrml browser/platform Blaxxun

toby
Dec 4, 2002

i finished reamde recently

it was... very much him. super long winded bullshit, characters that are all amazing geniuses and all speak in exactly the same completely ridiculous, extremely expository way except for the moments here and there when he remembers that one of them is supposed to have an accent or whatever

a story line that revolves heavily around a fictional MMORPG

yeah

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
That section in snowcrash about sumerian brain viruses was so far out and long winded I nearly skipped it.

I enjoyed the rest, though.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wish there was more epic sci-fi. I could really for like a 5000 page history of war with an alien species right now.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wish there was more epic sci-fi. I could really for like a 5000 page history of war with an alien species right now.

it's not exactly what you're looking for but may I recommend Battlefield Earth by Ron L. L. Hubbard?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TOOT BOOT posted:

i've heard the Lensman series is good, you should give it a try and let us know how it goes

i recently started a collection of four Frank Herbert books in one volume. it's a loving massive tome, starts with Whipping Star. it's okay so far.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just finished The City & The City and it's a pretty cool book, not really scifi/fantasy but definitely :airquote: speculative fiction :airquote:

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

sticky wizard posted:

really? i just orderd that poo poo on the amazon

good luck. i've started reading them twice and stopped about halfway through the second one because reading it started to feel like a chore.

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

honestly I hated Anathem (got maybe 1/4 through) and his silver age books where god awful.

I heard that he use to write his books in pen first so that it would stop him from rambling on, it didn't work

i liked anathem, but it starts off rough because you have to keep flipping to the glossary for all the made-up words.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

it's not exactly what you're looking for but may I recommend Battlefield Earth by Ron L. L. Hubbard?

Apparently I need to stop sleeping so I don't get beaten to jokes.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
hes not realy totally sci fi but can anyone recommend a don delilo book other than white noise? thats one of my favorite books ever and im in a reading mood

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
when i was 12 i did a back to the future 3 book report but i know the teacher thought i just watched the movie instead. but i really read the book cover to cover. the next sci-fi book i read was star trek tng book about the planet killer from TOS. finally i read snow crash a few years ago. I rate them in that order from best to worst. i'll never read sci-fi again because of my last experience.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Boner Buffet posted:

star trek tng book about the planet killer from TOS. finally i read snow crash a few years ago
this was a Q book but I don't remember anything else about it, scared to look on memory gamma

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

ChiralCondensate posted:

this was a Q book but I don't remember anything else about it, scared to look on memory gamma

I think you mean memory beta, because I just visited memory gamma and found Olivia Benson :wtc:.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

i liked anathem better than either of those

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
zodiac was pretty cool when I was a teenager

he wasn't a total technofetishist yet

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
sci fi status: i'm mostly enjoying surface detail

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

LP97S posted:

I think you mean memory beta, because I just visited memory gamma and found Olivia Benson :wtc:.

why the gently caress does she have a sword

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt

NINbuntu 64 posted:

why the gently caress does she have a sword

cuz

quote:

The great blades Diamondite edged tip can easily pierce or slice through a minimum of 3 feet of Duranium hull in seconds and can sever unprotected flesh in nano-seconds.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0 posted:

cuz

Why is there a wiki dedicated to putting anime in Star Trek fanfic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

just finished Ringworld and uhhhhhh...it wasn't really all that good

i've pretty much spoiled myself by reading a bunch of culture books, haven't i?

• Locked thread