Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

TenSpades, I'll give you A Short Film About Killing since I think it's been on your list for a while.

Badlands was very good. While I still enjoy the visceral, emotive qualities of Malick's Tree of Life and The Thin Red Line more, here I didn't mind the emotional disconnect between the audience and the characters as I did with Days of Heaven. I think it works for the story and the themes, showing the characters as the lonely, detached people they are. It's quite brilliant. Martin Sheen is downright terrific, but Sissy Spacek is kind of just there, her narration in particular being lifeless and vapid... though I guess that could give weight to the disconnected theme.

List:

1. La Notte - Love L'avventura, would like to get through the trilogy

2. Andrei Rublev - The last of the TSPDT Top 50, Tarkovsky's rough

3. The Big Parade - Might as well keep putting up silents

4. The Blue Angel - Haven't seen a von Sternberg

5. The Conformist - I know very little about this

6. Rififi - I'm down

7. Ninotchka - Need more Lubitsch

8. Crimes and Misdemeanors - Always in the mood for Woody Allen

9. Letter From an Unknown Woman - Enjoyed the other Ophüls I've seen, looking forward to more

10. Johnny Guitar - Guess I'll keep the westerns coming

Films I've Watched: Dawn of the Dead - 3.5/5; Adaptation - 4.5/5; Sullivan's Travels - 3.5/5; Touch of Evil - 4/5; Once Upon a Time in the West - 4/5; Boogie Nights - 3.5/5; Almost Famous - 4.5/5; Hiroshima Mon Amour - 4/5; City of God - 4/5; The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - 3.5/5; Brazil - 5/5; Sunset Boulevard - 4.5/5; The Conversation - 3/5; Trainspotting - 3/5; L.A. Confidential - 4/5; Napoléon - 4/5; The Green Mile - 3/5; E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial - 3/5; Léon: The Professional - 2.5/5; Sideways - 2.5/5; MASH - 4.5/5; The Philadelphia Story - 3.5/5; Three Colors: Blue - 5/5; Night and Fog - 3/5; Das Boot - 4/5; Three Colors: White - 4.5/5; Red River - 4.5/5; Le Samourai - 4/5; Fitzcarraldo - 4/5; Greed - 4/5; Sweet Smell of Success - 5/5; Stranger Than Paradise - 3/5; Top Hat - 3.5/5; McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 3/5; Dogville - 4.5/5; Badlands - 4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

PDMChubby posted:

6. Rififi - I'm down

This is a good one.

The English Patient - So we have a man with burnt skin who looks like a cross between Darth Vader and Zordon recounting his philandering with labored breathing. For its length, it was an "easy watch" and the story kept my attention (although there may have been too many transitions between different times). I found the concept of the thumbless man traveling across Europe hunting down people during a war to be a little far-fetched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5qalNX5G94

IMDb list:

#194 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

Elite Squad - Not on the list but the sequel is. Never heard of it. 11/9/11

#249 Anatomy of a Murder - I remember the 1995 Clockers poster copying this films poster too closely. The Clockers poster had to be changed. 11/15/11

#250 Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind - Don't know much about it. 11/20/11

Three Colors: Blue - "Red" is ranked higher on IMDb but I should start with this.
I've heard these talked about for many years now. 12/9/11

Academy Award for Best Picture:

2002 Chicago - I can't say I'm looking forward to this. 11/27/11

1998 Shakespeare in Love - On second thought maybe I don't want to finish this list :lol: 11/27/11

1997 Titanic - Cameron is truly a visionary (in all the good ways) and I've enjoyed everything I've seen from him thus far. I did a research paper on the ship itself a while ago. I also remember going to see a Titanic exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry. They had this frozen block of ice to illustrate just how cold the water was for the people who couldn't make it onto a boat. The ship was launched just over 100 years ago so it might be time to watch this. 12/3/11

1989 Driving Miss Daisy - Don't know much about it. 12/8/11

new 1987 The Last Emperor - First feature film with access to the Forbidden City? That might be interesting. A friend gave me a scroll from there a while ago. 12/13/11

Neutron Bandit
Apr 28, 2008

Zogo posted:

1987 The Last Emperor - First feature film with access to the Forbidden City? That might be interesting. A friend gave me a scroll from there a while ago. 12/13/11

You won't be disappointed if you are interested in China.

Brazil - Was more impressed by the great lengths the directors and producers must've went through to make this film than by the film itself. Was very charming and humorous at times but I felt like I never truly connected with the themes. The connection between Jill and Sam felt really weak and I had a hard time caring about that whole sub-plot.

The List:

1.Anything by Werner Herzog It's almost criminal that I haven't watched anything he's made

2.The Evil Dead I feel like i should've watched this ages ago because it's right up my alley. I love camp.

3.Metropolis It's been collecting dust on my shelf for years, the description on the back of the box sure does seem nice though.

4.Chopper some rear end in a top hat has been bugging me to see this since I enjoyed Bronson immensely but I still haven't taken the time to watch it.

5. NEW Dogville I really enjoyed Antichrist but am still unsure on this movie.

6. NEW The King's Speech I raved about how I wanted to see this through Oscar season and I never did

7. NEW Citizen Kane Yeah, I know.

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...
Neutron Bandit, you get something by Werner Herzog, preferably Fitzcarraldo.

Island of Lost Souls was pretty much exactly what I expected it to be, fairly dated, filled to the brim with stereotype, but charming and action packed (only 70 minutes long). I can't say I expected oddly allegorical ending, but it was a beautiful fit, all movies like this should go for the big obvious life lessons. The main theme, actors hamming just at the right level, the mysterious island and the erotic panther woman...you can't find a better example of a B film. The cinematography was the one thing that seemed almost modern, it shined through and gave the rest of the film a legitimacy it would have lacked otherwise. Not a great movie but deserves a high place among other popcorn flicks.

LIST OF SHAME:
1.Dogville: Not the biggest Lars von Trier fan but I've heard this is his best.

2.*NEW*Andrei Rublev: One of the last Tarkovsky's I haven't seen, the 3.5 hour running time always scared me.

3.The Phantom Carriage: Criterion just released a bluray and I've heard good things.

4.Cul-de-sac: Wasn't the biggest fan of Repulsion, hoping to get a better feel for early Polanski.

5.Twilight Samurai: Haven't seen a modern samurai movie that matches the classics, but this one came highly recommended.

6.Wages of Fear: Another classic french film I have yet to see.

7.The Filth and Fury: Documentary about the Sex Pistols, why not?

8.The Goddess: More Satyajit Ray.

9.Le Beau Serge: Considered the first film in the French Nouvelle Vague movement.

10.Orpheus: Just saw Beauty and the Beast recently, now I want more Jean Cocteau.

Watched: Masculin Feminin, Les Diaboliques, The World of Apu, Stalag 17, Wings of Desire, Island of Lost Souls

Desiato fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Dec 14, 2011

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Edit: Forgot to make a recommendation. I heard Dogville was good.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre was a lot of fun, and also not quite what I expected. It started off pretty simply, and I didn’t think it’d take twenty minutes to get to the main plot, but the characters’ struggles with being poor drew me in. For the first half, it seemed like just a straight adventure movie, and I enjoyed the amount of detail they gave into the logistics of gold-mining. It was clear that they had done the research. About halfway through, though, the story turned rather dramatically. I’m spoilering the rest, because the clever plot structure was one of the joys of this movie. We get Dobbs slowly going nuts, becoming more and more paranoid. This wasn’t too surprising, given that he’d earlier stated he’d be satisfied with $5000- it seemed obvious he was only saying that because he didn’t know any better. Then he eventually loses it and shoots Curtin, and then goes even more crazy with shades of The Tell-Tale Heart. Then gets shot by the bandits, and then they get shot by the soldiers. The ending was a classic shaggy dog story, but what made it work was that it was all set up early. You had characters state that the gold looks like sand, and Howard talked about the strong winds from the north, and the group had a showdown with bandits. So, naturally, the movie ends with the same bandits killing Dobbs, dumping the gold out thinking it’s sand and it getting blown away by the northerly wind. The plot was like clockwork, and everything that happened on screen paid off in the end.

Rating: 3.5/4

5. 2001: A Space Odyssey - More sci-fi that everyone but me has seen. I think my dad has a copy, so that would make it easier. I think I already know most of the plot, but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy it. If I'm given this one, I promise to try my best not to make too many Portal jokes.

9. The Aviator - More from that Scorsese clown. This one isn't as much a must see as some of the others, but it's added shame because it's another one that I own but haven't seen (there's probably another five movies like that, but most of them are more obscure). I bought it for three bucks about four years ago when a local video store went out of business and I've never taken it out of the box.

14. Apocalypse Now- Guy goes up a river, sees weird poo poo, the horror, goes back down the river, man is evil. Well, that's how my brother summed up Heart of Darkness, which I tried to read in high school and got to about page three. But I know this is a fairly loose adaptation and is supposed to be great, and Martin Sheen is awesome, so I'd be cool with this.

16. Schindler's List- Of course, I know what this is about, but I know very few details. My wife has seen it and said she'd watch it with me. Since she usually doesn't like serious movies, this is a strong recommendation indeed.

18. Deer Hunter- I seem to be seeing a lot of Christopher Walken bit parts, so let's see one of his rare starring roles. I started watching this one a while ago, but never got more than a few minutes in- I think I got called away, or maybe I just wasn't in the mood. I do know it ends with death by Russian Roulette, but I still think I'd enjoy it.

24. The Great Dictator- I think this Chaplin kid may be going somewhere. Maybe I should take a look at one of his movies.

26. Battleship Potemkin- I have no idea what this is about- is it Russian, I think? I don't know, but it's on so many best of all time lists that I figure I should put it on mine.

27. Gattaca- Another on the embarrassingly long "owned but not watched" list. This is sci-fi, I think having something to do when genetic engineering? I was thinking maybe it was a prison, but that's Attica. As you can see, I'm mostly blind on this one.

28. Sophie's Choice- I really have no idea what this is, but I've seen it referenced a lot lately. I'm not sure why, but I figure there must be a reason.

29. Gandhi- Bald Ben Kingsley takes on the British Empire. P.S. Ben Kingsley is British. Sure, why not.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 14, 2011

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Jurgan posted:

14. Apocalypse Now- Guy goes up a river, sees weird poo poo, the horror, goes back down the river, man is evil. Well, that's how my brother summed up Heart of Darkness, which I tried to read in high school and got to about page three. But I know this is a fairly loose adaptation and is supposed to be great, and Martin Sheen is awesome, so I'd be cool with this.

Don't watch the Redux version.

A Matter of Life and Death is a pretty good film for the majority of the time. When it reaches it's final act, this dry and stretched out trial begins and just sucks out the enjoyment of the film. I understand why these scenes exist in it's historical context, but it makes for some mighty boring viewing. Especially considering it comes almost out of nowhere.(Well then again, maybe not.) But the rest of the film is great, it has it's charm and romance and the switched between the real and the other other world are quite well done.

SHAME:

Richard III Long Live King McKellen!

Beauty and the Beast The Cocteau one.

Millennium I-Men Who Hate Women/The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo The Fincher adaptation is coming on January here, and would like to see this before that one, so I can say "Swedish version is better!" when the time comes and be a cool dude with an original opinion.

Peeping Tom The other voyeur horror film from 1960.

Letter from an Unknown Woman Going in blind on this one.

L'Âge d'or Not really knowing where to start with Luis Buñuel, I'll go from the beginning.(I watched Un Chien Andalou)

Wild at Heart More wildness from Lynch.

Zodiac No Dirty Harry to save the day on this version I suppose.

After Hours A Comedy by Martin Scorsese.

Nights of Cabiria Fellini films always feel like busy work.

Have watched so far 37 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Rashomon

This somehow seems like such a massive departure from all the other Kurosawa that I've seen: short, allegorical, relatively light on characterization, it almost feels like a Buñuel film at times. Kurosawa's touch is definitely all over the picture, though, and there are some sequences that are surprising and inventive even now. A lot of the film simply rests on how great Kurosawa's directing is (the way he handles the final swordfight is amazing - so loose and scrabbly but as intense and desperate as anything from Seven Samurai) and he fills in the narrative gaps with his stylish cinematography.

9/10

SHAAAAAAME

1) The Godfather Part 2 - Technically seen it but it's basically absent from my mind. Now that I'm not an easily-bored teenager maybe it'll stick better.

2) Hiroshima mon amour - I was perplexed by but really loved Last Year At Marienbad. I'm not really sure what this is about but it's the most interesting-looking movie next on TSPDT.

3) L'Atalante - I honestly don't know anything about this but man, number 14 on TSPDT must mean something.

4) I Know Where I'm Going! - gently caress me, I've rented this like four times and for some reason I never watch it, which is retarded because I love Powell and Pressburger.

5) La Dolce Vita - It's been years since I've seen this and I was a dumb kid then so I might as well not have.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) Bringing Up Baby - My film professor told me to watch this once and I didn't for some reason. Apparently it has Cary Grant and a baby tiger?

9) The Princess Bride - I do not think this quote means what I think it means.

10) The Magic Flute - This has been in my Netflix since I was like 13. I love this opera and I love Ingmar Bergman.

Jules et Jim 6/10, Saving Private Ryan 9.5/10, Fitzcarraldo 9/10, The 39 Steps 7/10, Notorious 7/10, Run Lola Run 8/10, Downfall 7.5/10, The Searchers 7.5/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Gone With The Wind 10/10, Touch Of Evil 9.5/10, Ikiru 7.5/10, The Apartment 7/10, Bicycle Thieves 7/10, Moon 7/10, The Color Purple 7.5/10. The French Connection9.5/10, The Leopard 8/10, Yojimbo 8.5/10, Sanjuro 8/10, Das Boot8.5/10, The Conformist 8/10, Breathless 9/10, Where The Wild Things Are7.5/10, Vertigo 9/10, Raging Bull 10/10, Ordet 7/10, City Of God 9/10, The Wages Of Fear 9/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 9/10, The Mirror 9.5/10, Through A Glass Darkly 10/10, On The Waterfront 6/10, The Straight Story 9/10, Lawrence Of Arabia 8.5/10, Dial M For Murder, 8/10 Winter Light 10/10, The Silence 9/10, Badlands 8/10, The Wrong Man 7/10, In The Mood For Love 9.5/10, Secret Honor 10/10, Gosford Park 10/10, Viridiana 7.5/10, The Exterminating Angel 9/10, Seven Samurai 10/10, Rashomon (total: 45)

Electronico6, enjoy Peeping Tom. I hope you have more Powell and Pressburger to add to your Shame list.

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Magic Hate Ball, watch The Godfather 2.

Once Upon A Time In America was beautiful. Leone has never let me down and he didn't this time either. From the beginning until the heartbreaking end, I was hooked. It's amazing to watch young Deniro work and all the signature Leone moves were there. Just breathtaking.

1) Patton- Another war film I haven't seen
2) Nashville- more Altman
3) Waltz with Bashir- I hear this is great
4) Amadeus- been meaning to get to this one
5) Le Doulos- Bring on the French crime films, I'm loving them
6) Love and Death- I'm trying to fill in my Woody Allen holes
7) Captain Blood- let's have some fun
8) Pale Flower- this looks interesting
9) Sweet Smell of Success- another movie about assholes
10) The Searchers- because it's time

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider, The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Wrath of Khan, Pierrot Le Fou, Oldboy, All The President's Men, Army of Shadows, 2046, Frankenstein, The Battle of Algiers, The Wages of Fear, Gojira, King Kong, Sleeper, Wings of Desire, Steamboat Bill Jr., The Birds, Pan's Labyrinth, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Rashomon, Amelie, Wild Strawberries, Les Diaboliques, The Furies, It's A Wonderful Life, Network, Metropolis, Lady Vengeance, Sherlock Jr., The 400 Blows, High and Low, Carrie, The Iron Giant, M, Modern Times, Duck Soup, The Battleship Potemkin, The Leopard, Rififi, Winchester '73, The Asphalt Jungle, Paths of Glory, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Last Year at Marienbad, His Girl Friday, MASH, Once Upon a Time In America

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mistletoe Donkey, Sweet Smell of Success cause it rules.

Death is a Caress is one of those movies that's consistently very good, bordering on great, but never kicks it into high gear. There's very little to criticize and a lot to praise, even if it feels like it fell a little short. The actors lack the charisma that makes the best noirs so intense, but they give good performances and I really bought the doomed romance. While the story never feels all that original I have to admit it sort of is, not only for the way it uses gender roles, but also for how it so nonchalantly broaches subjects that would have been quite controversial in 1950. The cinematography is very good too. I won't be rushing out to see more Calmar movies, but she's now on my radar.

Updated list:

Possession Not sure why I have this on my need to see list actually. Maybe someone here recommended it? Seems like it could be brilliant or terrible.

Twenty-Four Eyes Never seen a Kinoshita film. Seems like the place to start.

The Singing Detective Another mini series. Fits in with this noir thing I've been doing.

The Limey Another one I've seen but can't remember anything about.

Atanarjuat Been curious about this since it first came out, but 3 hours seems way too long.

La belle noiseuse If it weren't 4 hours I would have seen it already. I've been meaning to put it on my list for a year but thought I'd get around to it on my own.

After the Wedding I've had this lying around for a while. Don't know much about it.

Silver Lode Mr. Scorsese spoiled this movie's ending for me. I was hoping I'd forget but that's not going to happen.

Portrait of Jennie Want to see more Jennifer Jones.

Cairo Station I hear this is a great movie.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10 , Fat Girl 8.5/10 , Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son 5/10 , Zulu 6/10 , The Jazz Singer 8/10 , Blue 8.5/10 , Zero Kelvin 8/10 , Un coeur en hiver 9/10 , Yama no oto 9/10, Highlander 3/10 , Lagaan 8.5/10 , The Warriors 8/10 , Être et avoir 9/10 , Punishment Park 7/10 , Traffic 8/10 , The Year of Living Dangerously 7.5/10 , Tetsuo 7/10 , The Last Command 8.5/10 , Perceval le Gallois 8/10 , Pale Flower 7/10 , Riget 7.5/10 , The Wind Will Carry Us 8/10 , I Live in Fear 7.5/10 , Red Angel 8.5/10 , The Unbearable Lightness of Being 5/10 , Twelve O'Clock High 7/10 , The Godfather: Part III 6.5/10 , The Bridges of Madison County 3/10 , The Host 8.5/10 , A Midsummer Night's Dream (1935) 8/10 , The Muppet Movie 6/10 , The Only Son 7/10 , Blackmail 8.5/10 , Cyrano de Bergerac 9/10 , The American Friend 7/10 , Beat The Devil 5/10 , Seven Beauties 8/10 , Death is a Caress 8.5/10

Strand
Dec 11, 2008

Maybe someone with low self-esteem and slightly larger breasts.
Goodfellas and every Kurosawa film. Just never got around to it, despite the fact that I would probably love Kurosawa since I've totally enjoyed every adaptation and riff on Rashomon, Seven Samurai and Hidden Fortress.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Strand posted:

Goodfellas and every Kurosawa film. Just never got around to it, despite the fact that I would probably love Kurosawa since I've totally enjoyed every adaptation and riff on Rashomon, Seven Samurai and Hidden Fortress.

You should go watch them then. Particularly Rashomon.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The Singing Detective Another mini series. Fits in with this noir thing I've been doing.

It may get a bit repetitive if you watch it on a binge, but it's quite worth it.

Peeping Tom is great. It's quite strange going from Matter of Life and Death(Though Peeping Tom only features half of the duo), a film filled with a certain romanticized idea of love and all that good stuff, to this quite dark, chilling and sordid affair. The murders are quite gruesome and a whole lot of shade of messed up and the film is always keeping you on the edge, as you never sure what Mark(Played really well by Karlheinz Böhm) is going to do next or when he is finally going to snap. Quite interesting that Martin Scorsese "adopted" this film from certain doom, as using the camera PoV for the murders gives this impression that we are looking through the lenses making us accomplices to Mark's horrible deeds, reminded me of the ending to Goodfellas when Hill breaks the fourth wall and addresses the audience making us unwillingly accomplices, or even followers, of his gangster life. Probably unrelated, but eh, I noticed it.
Shame that Peeping Tom seems to be remembered first as a controversial film that ruined a director's career and second as the film that sort of resembles another film that was released the same year, but not as a great twisted thriller.(Or a boring mess depends on who you ask)

SHAME:

Beauty and the Beast The Cocteau one.

Millennium I-Men Who Hate Women/The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo The Fincher adaptation is coming on January here, and would like to see this before that one, so I can say "Swedish version is better!" when the time comes and be a cool dude with an original opinion.

L'Âge d'or Not really knowing where to start with Luis Buñuel, I'll go from the beginning.(I watched Un Chien Andalou)

Have watched so far 38 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom.

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

Electronico6, you get the fantastic Beauty and the Beast.

Rififi took me a little by surprise. It's great to see a heist film where the robbery isn't the only shining moment. That's not to say that the second act's heist isn't brilliant -- it's an absolute thrill that appears to have established tradition of crime film since. But the third act is just as, if not more, tense, and the film concludes at it's absolute best. The whole thing just starts at good and steadily builds into fantastic. There's no wonder why this film has had such a vast influence on the genre.

Also watched The Blue Angel, which is also incredible. I'm not sure I can say it took a lot of cues from Pandora's Box since they came out within a year of each other, but the two are incredibly similar: there's the proto-femme fatale, the palpable sexuality, the tragedy of the male helpless to the woman's whim, the setting of the theater, and the melodrama. What I like about this one is the use of comedy to brighten the drama, even making the ending more heartbreaking. The tint of German expressionism also gives it a distinct aesthetic. Brilliantly constructed sexual drama.

List:

1. La Notte - Love L'avventura, would like to get through the trilogy

2. Andrei Rublev - The last of the TSPDT Top 50, Tarkovsky's rough

3. The Big Parade - Might as well keep putting up silents

4. Broken Blossoms - Time for more Griffith I think

6. The Scarlet Empress - Let's see if Sternberg can retain my interest

7. Ninotchka - Need more Lubitsch

8. Crimes and Misdemeanors - Always in the mood for Woody Allen

9. Letter From an Unknown Woman - Enjoyed the other Ophüls I've seen, looking forward to more

10. Johnny Guitar - Guess I'll keep the westerns coming

Films I've Watched: Dawn of the Dead - 3.5/5; Adaptation - 4.5/5; Sullivan's Travels - 3.5/5; Touch of Evil - 4/5; Once Upon a Time in the West - 4/5; Boogie Nights - 3.5/5; Almost Famous - 4.5/5; Hiroshima Mon Amour - 4/5; City of God - 4/5; The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - 3.5/5; Brazil - 5/5; Sunset Boulevard - 4.5/5; The Conversation - 3/5; Trainspotting - 3/5; L.A. Confidential - 4/5; Napoléon - 4/5; The Green Mile - 3/5; E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial - 3/5; Léon: The Professional - 2.5/5; Sideways - 2.5/5; MASH - 4.5/5; The Philadelphia Story - 3.5/5; Three Colors: Blue - 5/5; Night and Fog - 3/5; Das Boot - 4/5; Three Colors: White - 4.5/5; Red River - 4.5/5; Le Samourai - 4/5; Fitzcarraldo - 4/5; Greed - 4/5; Sweet Smell of Success - 5/5; Stranger Than Paradise - 3/5; Top Hat - 3.5/5; McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 3/5; Dogville - 4.5/5; Badlands - 4/5; Rififi - 4.5/5

PDMChubby fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 15, 2011

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

PDMChubby posted:

This one's excellent.

Just like It's a Wonderful Life, Jimmy Stewart really gives everything he has to make Mr. Smith Goes to Washington work. It helps that the rest of the cast is great as well. I thought the ending happened a bit too fast, but otherwise it's just a terrific film. It's also sad that it can pretty much be remade today with the same script and still work just fine. Some things never change.

1. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - Next highest on the They Shoot Pictures list.

2. Time of the Gypsies - One of my highest PSIs on Criticker but I never really see it talked about much.

3. The Lives of Others - Could it be even better than The Conversation? Not that it has to be.

4. The Deer Hunter - I started to watch this once a long time ago but I fell asleep during a seemingly unending wedding sequence. Ir was 4:00 AM.

5. Ben-Hur - I'm not at all looking forward to this one.

6. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Newman and Redford? I'm already sold.

7. American Beauty - Next highest ranked movie on the IMDb top 250 that I haven't seen.

8. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington It Happened One Night - Might as well put another Capra film here.

9. La Dolce Vita - Another Fellini film.

10. The Great Dictator - Fascism is bad kids.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, Bicycle Thieves, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The General, Pickpocket, Pulp Fiction, Amadeus, Lawrence of Arabia, Eraserhead, The Lady Vanishes, The Wild Bunch, A Clockwork Orange, Platoon, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Ikiru, Jules and Jim, The Asphalt Jungle, M, The Thin Red Line, Dial M for Murder, The Sting, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Exterminating Angel, A Woman Under the Influence, Singin' in the Rain, Scenes from a Marriage, Badlands, City of God, The Gold Rush, The Maltese Falcon, The Conformist, The Shawshank Redemption, High and Low, It's a Wonderful Life, Days of Heaven, Le Samourai, The Night of the Hunter, Metropolis, The New World, Persona, Manhattan, Some Like It Hot, The Rules of the Game, Nights of Cabiria, The Graduate, Pather Panchali, Punch-Drunk Love, Grand Illusion, The Hustler, The Great Escape, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Memento, Forbidden Planet, Stagecoach, The Usual Suspects, The Big Sleep, Modern Times, Tokyo Story, Seven, The Searchers, The Battleship Potemkin, Videodrome, Léon: The Professional, American History X, The Grapes of Wrath, The Wages of Fear, Bonnie and Clyde, Mean Streets, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (Total: 98)

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

I've seen American Beauty. It was good. Give it a shot.

Thank you, instant watch. Apocalypse Now was pure mood. The plot was almost beside the point. The characters were fascinating, and the movie drew you in brilliantly. The stark lighting contrast helped, as did the psychedelic music choices. Even the Flight of the Valkyries scene, which has been parodied to death, was still very powerful. Sheen gave a great performance all the way through, and you really felt his turmoil, and Brando had the classic “star role,” where they spend two hours building him up so that you’re blown away when you finally see him. There are lots of other great moments (Duvall's very quotable lines, which seem perfectly natural when he delivers them), and they all come together to make a coherent mood piece. The reflections on war and power and other such ideas are well-known, so I won’t go into them, but they have power just the same. So I’ve now seen all three of Coppola's good movies (are there any others?).

Rating: 4/4

5. 2001: A Space Odyssey - More sci-fi that everyone but me has seen. I think my dad has a copy, so that would make it easier. I think I already know most of the plot, but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy it. If I'm given this one, I promise to try my best not to make too many Portal jokes.

9. The Aviator - More from that Scorsese clown. This one isn't as much a must see as some of the others, but it's added shame because it's another one that I own but haven't seen (there's probably another five movies like that, but most of them are more obscure). I bought it for three bucks about four years ago when a local video store went out of business and I've never taken it out of the box.

16. Schindler's List- Of course, I know what this is about, but I know very few details. My wife has seen it and said she'd watch it with me. Since she usually doesn't like serious movies, this is a strong recommendation indeed.

18. Deer Hunter- I seem to be seeing a lot of Christopher Walken bit parts, so let's see one of his rare starring roles. I started watching this one a while ago, but never got more than a few minutes in- I think I got called away, or maybe I just wasn't in the mood. I do know it ends with death by Russian Roulette, but I still think I'd enjoy it.

24. The Great Dictator- I think this Chaplin kid may be going somewhere. Maybe I should take a look at one of his movies.

26. Battleship Potemkin- I have no idea what this is about- is it Russian, I think? I don't know, but it's on so many best of all time lists that I figure I should put it on mine.

27. Gattaca- Another on the embarrassingly long "owned but not watched" list. This is sci-fi, I think having something to do when genetic engineering? I was thinking maybe it was a prison, but that's Attica. As you can see, I'm mostly blind on this one.

28. Sophie's Choice- I really have no idea what this is, but I've seen it referenced a lot lately. I'm not sure why, but I figure there must be a reason.

29. Gandhi- Bald Ben Kingsley takes on the British Empire. P.S. Ben Kingsley is British. Sure, why not.

30. Platoon- "Hey, dad, I made a Vietnam movie, too!" "That's nice, Charlie." "Ah, screw you! I'm gonna go snort coke off a hooker's rear end." Also the Green Goblin is in this.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 17, 2011

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...
Jurgan you get 2001: A Space Odyssey

Dogville is an extremely depressing and occasionally frustrating movie, but it is also quite a good one. The film is a bit overly pessimistic in it's condemnation of American life, characters seemed to shift with the whims of the plot, the plot itself is exaggerated to the point of hyperbole but I realized at the end this is somewhat forgivable due to the allegorical nature of the film. A small dead end town just subsisting comes to have the luxury of one extra person to help them, how the town's humble thankfulness can turn into privileged abuse is at the heart of this story. I have to admit I was a bit bored with the conclusions the movie was drawing until Grace's gangster father reprimands her for her arrogance, for forgiving the town for flaws she would readily punish herself for. I don't know if the conclusion of the movie where the entire town is burned down and the inhabitants murdered is simply conforming of the movie's fairy tale nature or is actually Lars von Trier's solution to a systemic problem, but there's a lot to think about after watching this film. It's going to take me at least a couple more days and little reading up to figure out how I feel about it.

LIST OF SHAME:
1.*NEW*The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp: I adore Powell and Pressburger but I've only seen two of their films.

2.Andrei Rublev: One of the last Tarkovsky's I haven't seen, the 3.5 hour running time always scared me.

3.The Phantom Carriage: Criterion just released a bluray and I've heard good things.

4.Cul-de-sac: Wasn't the biggest fan of Repulsion, hoping to get a better feel for early Polanski.

5.Twilight Samurai: Haven't seen a modern samurai movie that matches the classics, but this one came highly recommended.

9.Le Beau Serge: Considered the first film in the French Nouvelle Vague movement.

10.Orpheus: Just saw Beauty and the Beast recently, now I want more Jean Cocteau.

Watched: Masculin Feminin, Les Diaboliques, The World of Apu, Stalag 17, Wings of Desire, Island of Lost Souls, Dogville

Desiato fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 16, 2011

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jurgan posted:

So I’ve now seen all three of Coppola's good movies (are there any others?).

The Conversation is popular and The Outsiders is exploding with star power.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The Conversation is almost as good as The Godfather. If you're into horror movies, Dementia 13 is pretty loving cool.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The Conversation is as good as anything else he did in the 70s.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Desiato posted:

I watched this very recently and loved it, so here you go.

I thought American Beauty was decent. It's entertaining, however I didn't really find the social commentary particularly insightful or interesting. It boils down to just being a pretty good melodrama with some strange moments thrown in.

1. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - Next highest on the They Shoot Pictures list.

2. Time of the Gypsies - One of my highest PSIs on Criticker but I never really see it talked about much.

3. The Lives of Others - Could it be even better than The Conversation? Not that it has to be.

4. The Deer Hunter - I started to watch this once a long time ago but I fell asleep during a seemingly unending wedding sequence. It was 4:00 AM.

7. American Beauty Spirited Away - Next highest ranked movie on the IMDb top 250 that I haven't seen. This one looks fun.

8. It Happened One Night - Might as well put another Capra film here.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, Bicycle Thieves, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The General, Pickpocket, Pulp Fiction, Amadeus, Lawrence of Arabia, Eraserhead, The Lady Vanishes, The Wild Bunch, A Clockwork Orange, Platoon, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Ikiru, Jules and Jim, The Asphalt Jungle, M, The Thin Red Line, Dial M for Murder, The Sting, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Exterminating Angel, A Woman Under the Influence, Singin' in the Rain, Scenes from a Marriage, Badlands, City of God, The Gold Rush, The Maltese Falcon, The Conformist, The Shawshank Redemption, High and Low, It's a Wonderful Life, Days of Heaven, Le Samourai, The Night of the Hunter, Metropolis, The New World, Persona, Manhattan, Some Like It Hot, The Rules of the Game, Nights of Cabiria, The Graduate, Pather Panchali, Punch-Drunk Love, Grand Illusion, The Hustler, The Great Escape, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Memento, Forbidden Planet, Stagecoach, The Usual Suspects, The Big Sleep, Modern Times, Tokyo Story, Seven, The Searchers, The Battleship Potemkin, Videodrome, Léon: The Professional, American History X, The Grapes of Wrath, The Wages of Fear, Bonnie and Clyde, Mean Streets, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, American Beauty (Total: 99)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Atheistdeals.com posted:

I thought American Beauty was decent. It's entertaining, however I didn't really find the social commentary particularly insightful or interesting. It boils down to just being a pretty good melodrama with some strange moments thrown in.

It's a comedy.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Atheistdeals.com posted:

Happy 100 Shameful Films.

Beauty and the Beast is great fun. Silly and quite theatrical though wholly charming. The set design of the Beast Castle is wonderful and gives a mysterious and surreal quality to the film. The ending however is really bad, and very jarring. Of all the possible solutions to wrap it up, they picked the most bizarre one.

SHAME:

Have watched so far 39 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom, Beauty and the Beast.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's a comedy.

Don't think I'd say it that simply. It straddles the genre lines pretty well.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Electronico6 posted:

My favourite Fincher.

My aunt and uncle made A Christmas Story an annual tradition for the household a long way back. I caught glimpses, quotes, etc. over the years. I saw a ton of commercials on TBS with the iconic scenes of the kid getting his tongue stuck, the bunny suit, the douchey Santa kicking Ralphie down the slide and, of course, the bb gun. Despite knowing the movie from second hand descriptions, I really enjoyed this. Maybe it's because I shared the experience with a couple friends who also hadn't seen it. I find movies like this are best when shared with others. Even though there is a separation between when his movie took place and my own childhood, there were a ton of moments that rang true or were similar to my own experiences of being a rambunctious, stupid kid. I now can see why it's a family tradition for my cousins...I doubt I'd have enjoyed it as much solo, but who knows.

LIST O SHAME:

1) The Last Detail - Swearing sailors sounds superb.

2) Five Easy Pieces - Going to keep watching the America Lost and Found Box Set.

3) Deconstructing Harry - Hey Woody Allen, it's been a while.

4) The Virgin Spring - I heard it's one of Bergman's darkest and a bit of an influence on Last House on the Left. Not sure what to expect.

5) Black Moon - Drawn in by various cover art for years. No idea what it's about.

6) Carlos - I have some time to kill in the next few weeks.

7) Mystery Train - Only Jarmusch I haven't seen.

8) The Phantom Carriage - Silent Swedish horror? Neato.

9) The Changeling - Friend lent it to me. All I know is it's George C. Scott in a horror movie.

10) Irreversible - My cousin has challenged me to watch this. My friends who have seen it tell me I shouldn't. What say you?

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story (TOTAL: 52)

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ratedargh watch The Phantom Carriage.

The Singing Detective is fantastic. It's a detective story, a character study and a bitter musical/comedy all rolled up into one. I really don't know how to describe the film, it relies so much on the finely balanced tone that just barely holds a grip on reality. Excellent characterizations and performances, but none better than Michael Gambon who gets better and better with each episode as the nuance of his character consumes the larger narrative in spectacular surrealism. I watched it over three days, which I think was good choice, letting the content settle before the next day's watching. It basically boils down to a psychological deconstruction of the noir genre but manages to reach beyond that into broader commentary on social conditioning and the complexities of human interaction and expectations. I'm rambling, but whatever, it's great.

Updated list:

Possession Not sure why I have this on my need to see list actually. Maybe someone here recommended it? Seems like it could be brilliant or terrible.

Atanarjuat Been curious about this since it first came out, but 3 hours seems way too long.

La belle noiseuse If it weren't 4 hours I would have seen it already. I've been meaning to put it on my list for a year but thought I'd get around to it on my own.

After the Wedding I've had this lying around for a while. Don't know much about it.

Silver Lode Mr. Scorsese spoiled this movie's ending for me. I was hoping I'd forget but that's not going to happen.

Le Fils I've seen two great films from the Dardennes, let's watch another.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10 , Fat Girl 8.5/10 , Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son 5/10 , Zulu 6/10 , The Jazz Singer 8/10 , Blue 8.5/10 , Zero Kelvin 8/10 , Un coeur en hiver 9/10 , Yama no oto 9/10, Highlander 3/10 , Lagaan 8.5/10 , The Warriors 8/10 , Être et avoir 9/10 , Punishment Park 7/10 , Traffic 8/10 , The Year of Living Dangerously 7.5/10 , Tetsuo 7/10 , The Last Command 8.5/10 , Perceval le Gallois 8/10 , Pale Flower 7/10 , Riget 7.5/10 , The Wind Will Carry Us 8/10 , I Live in Fear 7.5/10 , Red Angel 8.5/10 , The Unbearable Lightness of Being 5/10 , Twelve O'Clock High 7/10 , The Godfather: Part III 6.5/10 , The Bridges of Madison County 3/10 , The Host 8.5/10 , A Midsummer Night's Dream (1935) 8/10 , The Muppet Movie 6/10 , The Only Son 7/10 , Blackmail 8.5/10 , Cyrano de Bergerac 9/10 , The American Friend 7/10 , Beat The Devil 5/10 , Seven Beauties 8/10 , Death is a Caress 8.5/10 , The Singing Detective 9.5/10

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Let's go with this one.

Zodiac is a great and very solid mystery film from Fincher. Liked it slightly better than Seven, and most of Fincher that I have seen so far.(Missing Panic Room and The Game) Still find his best to be the facebook film. Anyway, Zodiac it's less about the titular serial killer and his psychology and all that stuff, but the people that are trying to catch and their obsession with finding out who is the Zodiac killer. Makes up for an interesting study and quite apart from Fincher's other serial killer picture. The cast brings out some fine acting, some ace cinematography and fantastic period detail, it's only fault is that at times it feels a bit too long. Might be cause I watched the DC version.

SHAME:

Have watched so far 40 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom, Beauty and the Beast, Zodiac.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Electronico6 posted:

This one's interesting.

While overall I really liked The Great Dictator, I have extremely mixed feelings about it. On one hand, the parts actually satirizing Hitler and other dictators are excellent and often hilarious. On the other hand, I just found the Ghetto parts mostly depressing. And the ending didn't really work for me either. I understand why the speech is there, but I didn't think it really worked as part of the film. I've now seen four Chaplin films, and generally I can say that I find them to be half brilliant, and half average.

4. The Deer Hunter - I started to watch this once a long time ago but I fell asleep during a seemingly unending wedding sequence. It was 4:00 AM.

7. Spirited Away - Next highest ranked movie on the IMDb top 250 that I haven't seen. This one looks fun.

8. It Happened One Night - Might as well put another Capra film here.

10. The Great Dictator Children of Paradise - I pretty much know nothing about this one.

Watched/Criticker Tier: The Seventh Seal 10, Moon 8, Barton Fink 10, The Thin Blue Line 9, Cool Hand Luke 9, Citizen Kane 10, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 10, Rear Window 10, North by Northwest 9, Goodfellas 10, Casablanca 10, City Lights 8, Seven Samurai 10, Bicycle Thieves 9, Do the Right Thing 10, The Battle of Algiers 9, On the Waterfront 7, Wild Strawberries 10, The Trial 10, Adaptation 9, Unforgiven 10, Annie Hall 9, The 400 Blows 9, Diabolique 8, Mulholland Dr. 10, Dirty Harry 5, The 39 Steps 8, Aguirre: The Wrath of God 10, 8 1/2 9, Boogie Nights 9, A Streetcar Named Desire 7, Raiders of the Lost Ark 10, The General 9, Pickpocket 7, Pulp Fiction 10, Amadeus 10, Lawrence of Arabia 10, Eraserhead 8, The Lady Vanishes 8, The Wild Bunch 8, A Clockwork Orange 7, Platoon 7, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 9, Ikiru 10, Jules and Jim 10, The Asphalt Jungle 8, M 9, The Thin Red Line 9, Dial M for Murder 9, The Sting 8, Once Upon a Time in the West 9, The Exterminating Angel 9, A Woman Under the Influence 10, Singin' in the Rain 9, Scenes From a Marriage 10, Badlands 8, City of God 10, The Gold Rush 7, The Maltese Falcon 9, The Conformist 9, The Shawshank Redemption 8, High and Low 10, It's a Wonderful Life 7, Days of Heaven 9, Le Samourai 6, The Night of the Hunter 10, Metropolis 10, The New World 10, Persona 8, Manhattan 9, Some Like It Hot 7, The Rules of the Game 10, Nights of Cabiria 7, The Graduate 10, Pather Panchali 10, Punch-Drunk Love 9, Grand Illusion 8, The Hustler 8, The Great Escape 8, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 7, Memento 9, Forbidden Planet 7, Stagecoach 7, The Usual Suspects 6, The Big Sleep 8, Modern Times 7, Tokyo Story 9, Seven 9, The Searchers 6, The Battleship Potemkin 6, Videodrome 8, Léon: The Professional 6, American History X 4, The Grapes of Wrath 7, The Wages of Fear 9, Bonnie and Clyde 6, Mean Streets 8, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 8, American Beauty 6, The Great Dictator 7 (Total: 100)

100 films, a lot of which have become some of my absolute favorites. I love this thread.

Atheistdeals.com fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 23, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Atheistdeals.com all you need to know about Children of Paradise is that it's long (so set aside enough time) and fantastic.

Cairo Station There's a fantastic rawness and a sly subversive tone to this film that had me quite enthralled even when I wasn't quite sure what to make of it at the beginning. Once it settles in there's some very strong character development and interesting cultural commentary bubbling throughout. Really wonderful.

Updated list:

Le Fils I've seen two great films from the Dardennes, let's watch another.

Vertical Ray of the Sun Will I be bored or enamoured?

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10 , Fat Girl 8.5/10 , Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son 5/10 , Zulu 6/10 , The Jazz Singer 8/10 , Blue 8.5/10 , Zero Kelvin 8/10 , Un coeur en hiver 9/10 , Yama no oto 9/10, Highlander 3/10 , Lagaan 8.5/10 , The Warriors 8/10 , Être et avoir 9/10 , Punishment Park 7/10 , Traffic 8/10 , The Year of Living Dangerously 7.5/10 , Tetsuo 7/10 , The Last Command 8.5/10 , Perceval le Gallois 8/10 , Pale Flower 7/10 , Riget 7.5/10 , The Wind Will Carry Us 8/10 , I Live in Fear 7.5/10 , Red Angel 8.5/10 , The Unbearable Lightness of Being 5/10 , Twelve O'Clock High 7/10 , The Godfather: Part III 6.5/10 , The Bridges of Madison County 3/10 , The Host 8.5/10 , A Midsummer Night's Dream (1935) 8/10 , The Muppet Movie 6/10 , The Only Son 7/10 , Blackmail 8.5/10 , Cyrano de Bergerac 9/10 , The American Friend 7/10 , Beat The Devil 5/10 , Seven Beauties 8/10 , Death is a Caress 8.5/10 , The Singing Detective 9.5/10 , Cairo Station 9/10

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Solid from what I remember. Stamp is great.

The Phantom Carriage has so much going for it that it would blow 16-year-old me away. I was a tad stubborn then, not too keen on watching older movies. I doubt even that version of me would have watched this and balked.It's part Dickens (A New Year's Carol!), part ghost story and part morality tale. The music is very effective at setting the mood of each scene, helping focus the intensity and subtlety. Sjostrom (as actor) is great. His David Holm is a vile, hateful man with no apparent redeeming qualities but we're stuck with him and his resistance to reform. As it plays out and more is revealed about him, we're not meant to feel sorry for his current state or even like him...but we do understand. Wonderful film.

LIST O SHAME:

2) Five Easy Pieces - Going to keep watching the America Lost and Found Box Set.

4) The Virgin Spring - I heard it's one of Bergman's darkest and a bit of an influence on Last House on the Left. Not sure what to expect.

5) Black Moon - Drawn in by various cover art for years. No idea what it's about.

8) Repulsion - Need to get acquainted with more Polanski.

9) The Changeling - Friend lent it to me. All I know is it's George C. Scott in a horror movie.

10) Irreversible - My cousin has challenged me to watch this. My friends who have seen it tell me I shouldn't. What say you?

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage (TOTAL: 53)

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Ratedargh posted:

8) Repulsion - Need to get acquainted with more Polanski.

Enjoy Catherine Deneuve's big eyes.

Loved After Hours! It's a surreal, very strange and dark comedy and I laughed all the way. Then again I'm a suspect in these type of comedies, I just love black comedy especially when it comes attached with a lot of madness and uncomfortable situations. It does go into silly region, but I found it to fit into the nightmare situation that the main characters has fallen into, and it all makes perfect sense in a very twisted way.

SHAME:

Have watched so far 41 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom, Beauty and the Beast, Zodiac, After Hours.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 27, 2011

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Beware of a Holy Whore is quite good, though it's basically a less impressive version of The State of Things. Fassbinder's camera is wild in this one, there's one shot where he pans while zooming in and out, that manages to be swift and kinetic without being disorienting. Fassbinder is a fascinating actor. He's in the Kinski mold - much of his power comes from how tentative his grip on sanity is. He's quite ugly, too. That's neither here nor there but I had to bring it up. 8/10

caiman, Judgement at Nuremberg awaits.

New list:

Mike's Murder I don't know enough '80s dramas, and I heard this is a hidden classic crime movie. But the same person who told me that said the same about 8 Million Ways to Die, which is dick.

new: Farewell, My Lovely I do love Mitchum.

That Obscure Object of Desire I have never disliked a Bunuel film.

Advise and Consent Somehow I always thought this and The Americanization of Emily were the same movie.

Little Man, What Now? or Man's Castle I went through a big Borzage phase, but someone I couldn't get back into him after. I need a push to remember how much I love him.

My Brother's Wedding So there's a director's cut that's like a half hour shorter? Which should I see?

The Structure of Crystals This looks fantastic, but somehow I can't get myself to sit down for it.

The Blue Angel I don't know much about this.

Montenegro or Sweet Movie I loved WR and the Eclipse set, but I've avoided Sweet Movie because I heard it sucks and Montenegro because the poster is crap.

Szerelem Same deal as The Structure of Crystals.

Finished from this thread:
Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10), Our Hospitality (9/10), Les Diaboliques (8/10), The Awful Truth (8/10), Duel in the Sun (6.5/10), A Guy Named Joe (6/10), Quiet City (5/10), People on Sunday (8.5/10), Nothing but a Man (8.5/10), Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring (8/10), Comradship (7.5/10), Too Early, Too Late (4/10), Wooden Crosses (7.5/10), White Zombie (8.5/10), No Highway in the Sky (8/10), The Wanderers (8.5/10), My Son My Son What Have Ye Done (7/10), Our Town (9/10), The Winning of Barbara Worth (8/10), Red Riding 1974 (7/10), Grand Hotel (8/10), Rapt (8/10), The Champ (7/10), Red Beard (8.5/10), Rendez-vous d'Anna (8/10), Two Thousand Maniacs! (7/10), The Old Dark House (7.5/10), The Tarnished Angels (8/10), Ordet (9/10), Pigs and Battleships (8/10), The Naked City (8/10), The Ninth Configuration (4/10), Sling Blade (8.5/10), Le Trou (8.5/10), I Know Where I'm Going! (7.5/10), The Hangover (7.5/10), Body Heat (7.5/10), Night Moves (8.5/10), The Earrings of Madame De... (8/10), Toto, Peppino, e la Malafemmina (7/10), Short Cuts (9/10), The Mystery of Picasso (8/10), The Wisdom of Crocodiles (6.5/10), To Be or Not to Be (9/10), Barfly (5.5/10), Billy Liar (8/10), Hana-bi (7.5/10), The Fighter (8/10), Cop Land (8/10), Cairo Station (8.5/10), Beware of a Holy Whore (8/10)

Total: 125
Best: All That Heaven Allows
Worst: Harold and Maude

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
penismightier, go with The Obscure Object of Desire

The Sweet Smell of Success left me feeling dirty afterwards. It's rare to see a film where almost no one has redeeming qualities out of the main characters. Lancaster was certifiably creepy and Curtis just oozed smarminess. It was great though. The dialogue was knife sharp and New York looked amazing.

1) Patton- Another war film I haven't seen
2) Nashville- more Altman
3) Waltz with Bashir- I hear this is great
4) Amadeus- been meaning to get to this one
5) Le Doulos- Bring on the French crime films, I'm loving them
6) Love and Death- I'm trying to fill in my Woody Allen holes
7) Captain Blood- let's have some fun
8) Pale Flower- this looks interesting
9) The Lost Weekend- is movie supposed to make me want to stop drinking?
10) The Searchers- because it's time

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider, The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Wrath of Khan, Pierrot Le Fou, Oldboy, All The President's Men, Army of Shadows, 2046, Frankenstein, The Battle of Algiers, The Wages of Fear, Gojira, King Kong, Sleeper, Wings of Desire, Steamboat Bill Jr., The Birds, Pan's Labyrinth, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Rashomon, Amelie, Wild Strawberries, Les Diaboliques, The Furies, It's A Wonderful Life, Network, Metropolis, Lady Vengeance, Sherlock Jr., The 400 Blows, High and Low, Carrie, The Iron Giant, M, Modern Times, Duck Soup, The Battleship Potemkin, The Leopard, Rififi, Winchester '73, The Asphalt Jungle, Paths of Glory, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Last Year at Marienbad, His Girl Friday, MASH, Once Upon a Time In America, Sweet Smell of Success

RollingBoBo
Aug 25, 2008

living that high life
e: ^^watch The Lost Weekend because i can relate to the main charachter

Citizen Kane - tried to watch it but couldn't focus. I quit halfway through and never tried again

2001: A Space Odyssey - I have seen some Kubrick (Full Metal Jacket, Dr. Strangelove, A Clockwork Orange) and I think i should probably watch some more

The Goonies - I have no idea what are the goonies but I've seen it referenced enough times in games and poo poo that I thought it was time to know!

Once Upon a Time in the West - I watched the whole man with no name trilogy and loved them so I guess I should watch this one

The Birds - the only Hitchcock I've watched is Rear Window and liked it, i put The Birds here but you can recommend me any Hitcock you like the most

Raging Bull - I've seen Casino, Goodfellas, Taxi Driver and The Departed, they all owned, i probably won't be disappointed by this one either

The Ladykillers - i've watched half of the coen brothers movies, i should watch the rest

The Great Escape - I've been recommended a list of war movies, this one is in it and looks awesome

Casablanca - it's on everyone's list and it always gets recommended. I must know why

RollingBoBo fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 22, 2011

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

RollingBoBo posted:

e: ^^i know none of the movies you listed, sorry

You still pick one.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

RollingBoBo posted:

Once Upon a Time in the West - I watched the whole man with no name trilogy and loved them so I guess I should watch this one

Leone is excellent and this is too.

Repulsion is fascinating and frustrating and the same can be said of our protagonist, Carol, played by Catherine Deneuve. At first, she comes across as a social misfit with zero understanding of how to interact with others and that remains true but the root of her issues are much deeper than a case of social anxiety. It's tragic but as those around her get frustrated (like I initially did as a viewer) and give because she doesn't communicate what's wrong they fail to realize that Carol can't tell them and things continue to deteriorate, rot and decay (mostly her mind). Its punch is amplified in the final quarter of the movie and while the final shot is mostly unnecessary, I enjoy the symmetry.

e: I forgot to mention that the sound is superb. It amplifies the tension and paranoia very well.

I also watched The Changeling the other day...and was underwhelmed. It had spooky elements but the script was so insanely exposition-heavy it really took me out of it. The dialogue was poor, the scares were minimal and while the reveal is sad it doesn't have much impact because the delivery and execution were lacking. Even George C. Scott is lackluster.

LIST O SHAME:

LIST O SHAME:

8) Kagemusha - Kurosawa in colour! Heard this was his warm up to Ran, which I loved.

9) Che - Long but it's Soderbergh and Del Toro so I expect to like it.

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion (TOTAL: 55)

Ratedargh fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 22, 2011

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...

Ratedargh posted:

8) Kagemusha - Kurosawa in colour! Heard this was his warm up to Ran, which I loved.
More Kurosawa is never a bad thing.

Wages of Fear blew my expectations out of the water. The plot structure is built almost the same as Seven Samurai with two separate acts. First we're introduced to our heroes personalities, setting and motives, then they're thrust into a dangerous job for the second act. The whole second act while they're transporting the nitro glycerin had me on the edge of my seat. The cinematography does an excellent job creating this suspenseful atmosphere, capturing slow moving truck tires in previously unrealized terror. The acting is a bit hit or miss, but for the most part it hits the right mark even if a bit hammy. I've come to love the melodrama that the acting has in that era, but it may bother other people. The setting strongly reminded me of Casablanca, a place where men were trapped and desperate to leave. Also near the ending when Mario realized Jo was dead just as they arrived at their location reminded me a lot of Midnight Cowboy. Overall an amazing movie, highly recommended.

LIST OF SHAME:
1.The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp: I adore Powell and Pressburger but I've only seen two of their films.

2.Andrei Rublev: One of the last Tarkovsky's I haven't seen, the 3.5 hour running time always scared me.

6.*NEW*I am Cuba: A soviet take on a much romanticized time in Cuba's history.

Watched: Masculin Feminin, Les Diaboliques, The World of Apu, Stalag 17, Wings of Desire, Island of Lost Souls, Dogville, Wages of Fear

Desiato fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 24, 2011

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Desiato posted:

Just watched this myself. Hope you enjoy, it's a fascinating piece of film history.

I love Akira Kurosawa. His films have been some of my favourites since I rented Seven Samurai on a whim several years ago. While I've liked a few less than others (this is to be expected with any director) I always seem to be grabbed at least for a little while. Kagemusha never lost me and seemed to turn left when I thought it would turn right. I really thought when the impostor jumped on Lord Shingen's horse that he would fully embody him but instead it's shown that no matter how authentic he appears he cannot be the real mccoy. It's beautiful and deals well with themes of pride, jealousy, humility and lust of power. It could maybe be trimmed a bit for pacing, and it doesn't quite reach the heights of Ran or Seven Samurai in epic status but it's still a fine piece of cinema.

LIST O SHAME:

8) The Red Shoes - Looks beautiful, is touted as essential by Scorsese (the director whose films got me into movies) and somehow I've never gotten to it.

9) Che - Long but it's Soderbergh and Del Toro so I expect to like it.

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha (TOTAL: 56)

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Raterargh, I'm looking forward to you reactions to Irreversible, as I loved it, but it's a tough one.

A Short Film About Killing had some interesting moments and concepts, but even though it was short it still dragged on a bit. I'm sure the shorter Dekalog version would have trimmed some of the needless bits at the beginning. Can anyone tell me whether A Short Film About Love is good, or if I should stick to Dekalog VI? 3/5

Kes
Don't know anything about this.
Still Life
Next on TSPDT's 21st Century list. Don't know anything about it.
The Wind That Shakes the Barley
Another recent Palme d'Or winner.
Au Hasard Balthazar
Next on TSPDT.
Cabaret
On the most iCM lists. ehh.
The Freshman
Only seen Safety Last! from Lloyd.
West Side Story
Almost done the AFI list. Not a big fan of musicals.
Cookie's Fortune
Another hidden Altman gem?
Withnail & I
They seem like some pretty wild and crazy guys.
Le Trou
Who doesn't like a good prison escape.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5, Umberto D. 3.5/5, Naked 5/5, Andrei Rublev 2/5, A Matter of Life and Death 4.5/5, I Am Cuba 4/5, A Zed and Two Noughts 5/5, The Belly of an Architect 3/5, Videodrome 4/5, Picnic at Hanging Rock 3/5, 2046 4.5/5, Fallen Angels 4/5, Schizopolis 4/5, Blind Chance 2.5/5, The Grapes of Wrath 4/5, Ace in the Hole 4.5/5, Safe 4/5, Woman in the Dunes 5/5, Scarface 4.5/5, The Man who Shot Liberty Valance 4/5, Ghost World 3.5/5, Contempt 3.5/5, The Magnificent Ambersons 4/5, Fantastic Planet 3.5/5, The Kid 3.5/5, Santa Sangre 4/5, Pather Panchali 4/5, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser 4.5/5, Aparajito 4.5/5, Tout Va Bien 3.5/5, A Face in the Crowd 4.5/5, The Class 5/5, Intolerance 3/5, 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance 2.5/5, The Holy Mountain 4/5, Nosferatu 3.5/5, Sweet Smell of Success 4/5, Stalker 4/5, Days of Heaven 4.5/5, The Apostle 3.5/5, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives 3.5/5, Shane 3.5/5, The World of Apu 4.5/5, 3 Women 5/5, Do The Right Thing 5/5, A Short Film About Killing 3/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budhisattva
May 22, 2005

TenSpadesBeTrump, you get Au Hasard Balthazar. Today, I read a review that jokingly described War Horse as Spielberg's Au Hasard Balthazar, so now you get to see what that's all about. The description does sound intriguing, though.

Amadeus surpassed my expectations. Far from being a dry, historical film, it portrayed Mozart as an eccentric personality that was thoroughly entertaining to watch. I feel like it's worth mentioning the fantastic bosom on his girl, as revealed in her first scene. However, the real star performance comes from Mozart's rival, Salieri. The depth of the emotional conflict between God, his own success, and Mozart's seemingly effortless talent was something to behold. From costumes, to sets, to a soundtrack that is so well-integrated with the events of the story, Amadeus hits all the high points.

Updated list:

The Naked City Always seeking more film noir

The 39 Steps Hitchcock has a long list of classics; I continue my journey

Le Doulos Taking it back to one of Melville's earlier successes

Hud Been building up to this from other westerns and gaining an appreciation for Paul Newman

Doctor Zhivago Here we go on another David Lean epic

Midnight Cowboy Willing to check this out for Hoffman alone

Duck, You Sucker! Guess I ought to see the middle installment in Leone's trilogy

Patton George C. Scott seems very appropriate for the lead role, and it has been recommended to me for years.

That Obscure Object of Desire The last Buñuel I'm waiting to see

Bugsy A different gangster movie with a Morricone soundtrack

Watched:

Once Upon a Time in America 8.5/10 , The Sting 7.5/10 , MASH 7.5/10 , Ran 9/10 , The Big Sleep 9/10 , Army of Shadows 9.5/10 , On the Waterfront 9/10 , Fantastic Planet 8.5/10 , Annie Hall 9.5/10 , Barton Fink 9/10 , The 400 Blows 9/10 , La Grande Illusion 9.5/10 , Gandhi 8.5/10 , The Hill 8.5/10 , Manhattan 9/10 , The Host 8/10 , The Bicycle Thief 9/10 , The Asphalt Jungle 9/10 , The Insider 9/10 , Bringing Out the Dead 8/10 , 8.5/10 , The Abyss 8.5/10 , The Thin Blue Line 8.5/10 , Touch of Evil 8/10 , Glengarry Glen Ross 9/10 , The Wages of Fear 9.5/10 , Paris, Texas 8/10 , The Conversation 8/10 , Reds 8.5/10 , Fargo 9/10 , Pierrot Le Fou 7.5/10 , Blood Simple 8/10 , The Killing 8.5/10 , Inside Job 8.5/10 , Harakiri 9.5/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , High and Low 9/10 , Yojimbo 9.5/10 , The White Ribbon 7.5/10 , The French Connection 9/10 , Ace in the Hole 8.5/10 , Sanjuro 8.5/10 , All That Jazz 7/10 , The Maltese Falcon 9/10 , The Grapes of Wrath 9/10 , Amadeus 9.5/10