Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Anyone know a good recipe for beef stroganoff that is tasty and kinda healthy? My girlfriend loves the Hamburger Helper kind, but I wince on the inside every time she brings a box home. Google just brings up Paula Deen poo poo, and there is no way I am going to make something from Paula Deen. I've been cooking for a while so I know a good bit, but I've learned not to trust her or random internet recipes, and you guys seem to be on the ball culinarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

gowb posted:

Anyone know a good recipe for beef stroganoff that is tasty and kinda healthy? My girlfriend loves the Hamburger Helper kind, but I wince on the inside every time she brings a box home. Google just brings up Paula Deen poo poo, and there is no way I am going to make something from Paula Deen. I've been cooking for a while so I know a good bit, but I've learned not to trust her or random internet recipes, and you guys seem to be on the ball culinarily.

10 pieces of cubed beef
1/2-3/4 pkg sliced mushrooms (basically however much you want, same with the beef)
1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
3/4 cup campbells gardennay harvest mushroom (I used this to thin out the soup, use less if it's too thin afterwards for you)
1 pkg lipton onion roasted garlic
salt/pepper/whatever

Obviously the noodles and sour scream will be added at the end.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

RazorBunny posted:

My step-grandmother used to purée fresh mint with oil and apple cider vinegar, and it was absolutely mouthwatering. She used it as a marinade and also as a sauce when the time came to serve.

My dad did this, except with 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 balsamic.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

gowb posted:

Thomas Keller's recipe in Ad Hoc at Home is disgustingly good.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

SuperGinger! posted:

I want to make this recipe tomorrow night, but I would dice the potatoes and add cornflakes on top. I was wondering if I could make this in the morning and bake it later in the evening? I know potatoes can turn funny colors after they're cut but I figure if I mix it before hand the soup will prevent discoloration.

... why don't you make something like Gratin Dauphinois instead of a weird hashbrown/cream of mushroom soup monstrosity?

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

SYFY HYPHY posted:

10 pieces of cubed beef
1/2-3/4 pkg sliced mushrooms (basically however much you want, same with the beef)
3/4 cup campbells gardennay harvest mushroom (I used this to thin out the soup, use less if it's too thin afterwards for you)
salt/pepper/whatever

I thought you guys frowned on the use of soup in dishes...? Mostly I just got done reading that hilarious chili thread where y'all busted the nuts of a guy who put onion soup into his chili.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

gowb posted:

I thought you guys frowned on the use of soup in dishes...? Mostly I just got done reading that hilarious chili thread where y'all busted the nuts of a guy who put onion soup into his chili.

Syfy works for Campbell and keeps trying to sneakily post recipes that use their products, he was exposed a couple years ago in a pretty funny thread.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

So...two ham bones with a little meat left on them, half an onion, a bag of dry mixed beans, and water to cover resulted in easily one of the best things that has ever come out of my crock pot...

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

SYFY HYPHY posted:

10 pieces of cubed beef
salt/pepper/whatever

Doesn't combining Campbell's and Lipton result in some kind of little apocalypse thing?

SuperGinger!
Sep 29, 2007
my hair burns with the fire of a thousand suns

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

... why don't you make something like Gratin Dauphinois instead of a weird hashbrown/cream of mushroom soup monstrosity?

You've never had cheesy potato casserole? It's delicious and somewhat of a staple here in Wisconsin.

EDIT: I think I'm just going to go with this recipe instead and just make ahead and reheat

SuperGinger! fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 16, 2011

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

SuperGinger! posted:

You've never had cheesy potatoes? It's delicious and somewhat of a staple here in Wisconsin.

Staple? Unfortunately. Delicious? Questionable. And this comes from a Wisconsinite.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

SuperGinger! posted:

You've never had cheesy potatoes? It's delicious and somewhat of a staple here in Wisconsin.

Hotdish/cheesy potatoes are, thankfully, not a thing where I live.

That said, there's nothing wrong with making a decent potato and cheese casserole/gratin, there's just no need to do it with condensed cream of mushroom soup and precooked hashbrowns.

SuperGinger!
Sep 29, 2007
my hair burns with the fire of a thousand suns

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Hotdish/cheesy potatoes are, thankfully, not a thing where I live.

That said, there's nothing wrong with making a decent potato and cheese casserole/gratin, there's just no need to do it with condensed cream of mushroom soup and precooked hashbrowns.

I'm dicing the potatoes myself but I understand where you're coming from. It's just one of those things that I grew up with and is somewhat of a comfort food now.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
My mom made dinner tonight which consisted of rice, boneless skinless chicken breasts, cream of mushroom soup, cream of something soup, and some water thrown in a slow cooker. She's normally pretty good so I don't know what happened, but I died a little on the inside.

Also how the gently caress do I knead dough without it feeling like this:

Or is that just the price to pay for fresh bread products?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Get a stand mixer. Or, stand on a step stool when you knead. Getting the higher angle on the dough and surface lets you knead more with less effort.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
That makes sense. Additionally, is there any way to keep it from sticking to my hands so much? I tried making the puri you linked in the doro wat thread and mixing that poo poo up was a nightmare (totally worth it after they were done though).

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Joborgzorz posted:

My mom made dinner tonight which consisted of rice, boneless skinless chicken breasts, cream of mushroom soup, cream of something soup, and some water thrown in a slow cooker. She's normally pretty good so I don't know what happened, but I died a little on the inside.

Also how the gently caress do I knead dough without it feeling like this:

Or is that just the price to pay for fresh bread products?

Do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvdtUR-XTG0

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

SuperGinger! posted:

You've never had cheesy potato casserole? It's delicious and somewhat of a staple here in Wisconsin.

EDIT: I think I'm just going to go with this recipe instead and just make ahead and reheat

:shepicide:

(Also coming from a Wisconsinite who's had to eat that greasy, globby slop too many times)

I understand nostaliga...But next time, try a gratin.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Syfy works for Campbell and keeps trying to sneakily post recipes that use their products, he was exposed a couple years ago in a pretty funny thread.

I wish to see this thread :stare:

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
That was a post from jizz babies in the crockpot thread. She lost her poo poo, it was hilarious. :ms:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
White pepper vs black pepper? I have both, just curious what the difference is and the recipe calls for white (I changed it a lot, but it is broccoli/onion/celery/carrot/garlic/potato/cheddar/bacon soup). Also russet potatoes vs yukon gold and red potatoes, why use one over the other? Reds for roasting, yukon for mashing, russet for.... no idea here I'm a new cook and reaching. And last question I promise for this meal, whats the difference between chicken stock and broth? You guys either hate me for asking tons of questions, or love me for asking easy questions that you can answer

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
People have varying opinions on white. Its very common in Asian cooking and smells slightly pungent to me.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Also russet potatoes vs yukon gold and red potatoes, why use one over the other? Reds for roasting, yukon for mashing, russet for.... no idea here I'm a new cook and reaching.

Starchy potatoes are good for mashing, waxy potatoes are good for roasting and hold their shape better. Here's a list off of the internet that is mostly right:

quote:

Best for baking: russet potato

Best for potato salads, gratins, and scalloped potatoes: Yellow Finn potato, new potato, red-skinned potato, white round potato, and purple potato

Best for mashing: russet potato, Yukon gold potato, Caribe potato, and purple potato

Best for soups and chowders: Yukon gold potato, Yellow Finn potato, red-skinned potato, white round potato, and purple potato

Best for pan-frying: red-skinned potatoes, white round potatoes, new potatoes, and fingerling potatoes

Best for French fries: russet potato, purple potato, Bintje potato

Best for purees: fingerling potatoes

Best for roasting: new potatoes, Bintje potatoes

Best for steaming: new potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes

Best for potato pancakes: russet potato, Yukon Gold potato

SnakeParty
Oct 30, 2011
All this talk about potatoes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJGIMd3_LfY&feature=related

Two recipe requests:

My sis and I are making Duck. I have never cooked it before nor eatin it before. What are some good recipes/pointers. Also what kind of side dish/boozy beverage would go well with duck?

Also, speaking of potatoes, any good Latke recipes? Happy Hannukah! I typically just shred, squeeze, save the yummy starch, form with egg and onion, and fry to greasy perfection...In the past I have served with a roast and a horseradish cream sauce (not very kosher). But I would like to branch out into funkier latke territory.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

RazorBunny posted:

So...two ham bones with a little meat left on them, half an onion, a bag of dry mixed beans, and water to cover resulted in easily one of the best things that has ever come out of my crock pot...

That's what I made tonight, too. That's the way me ma taught me to cook.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've got a steak to eat tonight, but I'm wondering what to have with it. Thinking on a salad at least but open to ideas.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
It's too late for any interesting potato dishes, but hasselbacks are pretty and easy to do. Serving anything other than potatoes next to a steak is pretty much a suicide mission, let alone salad.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
I need a few weeks' worth of soup recipes. Nothing chunky, though, it's got to be smooth flowing for the first several days.

I guess I should explain: this is a post-surgery diet for a friend who will be staying in my house during recovery.

Anyway, we need some ideas ranging from purees up to noodle soups. Even then, chicken meat would be too rough a texture for a few weeks.

I found two threads while searching (Fall squash, chicken noodle), but need more ideas. The post-surgery plan calls for 5+ meals, an excess of calories, and nothing that is known to cause heartburn or any chance of acid reflux. Don't worry, though, a dietician will be screening our menu and thus preventing me from the idea of pureeing pulled pork sandwiches and twelve different bacon dishes.

I can make a few decent congee porridges, so if anyone has any congee variations or family recipes, that would be cool as well.

Yeah. That many liquid meals has got my imagination sapped.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Noni posted:

I need a few weeks' worth of soup recipes. Nothing chunky, though, it's got to be smooth flowing for the first several days.

I guess I should explain: this is a post-surgery diet for a friend who will be staying in my house during recovery.

Anyway, we need some ideas ranging from purees up to noodle soups. Even then, chicken meat would be too rough a texture for a few weeks.

I found two threads while searching (Fall squash, chicken noodle), but need more ideas. The post-surgery plan calls for 5+ meals, an excess of calories, and nothing that is known to cause heartburn or any chance of acid reflux. Don't worry, though, a dietician will be screening our menu and thus preventing me from the idea of pureeing pulled pork sandwiches and twelve different bacon dishes.

I can make a few decent congee porridges, so if anyone has any congee variations or family recipes, that would be cool as well.

People usually forget about avgolemono, but it's one of my favorite soups. Only solids are rice, and you can just leave that out for something totally smooth, or overcook it when they're allowed soft solids again. Plus it's really filling for something so simple, and it's full of protein from the eggs. This is the recipe I use (feel free to make your own chicken stock, as usual): http://worthhersalt.com/archives/106

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

SYFY HYPHY posted:

It's too late for any interesting potato dishes, but hasselbacks are pretty and easy to do. Serving anything other than potatoes next to a steak is pretty much a suicide mission, let alone salad.

I should have been a bit clearer, I'm after something to go with the steak and salad.

slavedaeva
Aug 22, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT ALEISTER CROWLEY AND AHURA MAZDA

Noni posted:

Fresh pureed vegetable soups can be awesome even in overwhelming quantities.

Broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, spinach, celery, mushroom, asparagus, and so on!

Just bear in mind onion and garlic are generally a moderation food when dealing with acid reflux, so you'll likely only be able to sweat the veg, add stock and starch (usually potatoes), cook until veg and starch is tender, then blend to a puree.

If there is absolutely no allowance for anything on an acid reflux moderation diet then chowders would be out since even skim milk is probably a no-go. But if that's not a hard no to add a bit of variety a simple corn chowder can be blended down and still taste just as rich.

Don't skip dessert! Fruit purees - banana can be divine for a tender tummy, puddings, fruit sauces - stick to the more fibrous fruits.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Jose posted:

I should have been a bit clearer, I'm after something to go with the steak and salad.

My current favorite thing to go with a steak and salad is sweet potato hash browns. Just put a sweet potato through a grater and make hash browns as normal. Usually will throw some garlic salt on there around the time I actually start making the steak for a little extra flavor. I usually have a plate sized spread of hash browns nice and crisp as a base that the steak is served on top of, with a salad (walnuts, apples, mozzarella, and balsamic) in a bowl on the side. Hmm... I might have a steak in the freezer, may have to make this on Sunday.

Bellabel
Jan 5, 2010

Dead finks don't talk too well; they've got a shaky sense of diction
My roommate is a former vegetarian and has some dried texturized soy protein chunks left over from his meatless days. We're trying to use them up, so I added some to a soup and tbh they're pretty unappetizing (spongy and tasteless). Is there a way to cook them to make them less gross?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Use them in soup. I know you already have, but that's really the only way they will be not terrible.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Bellabel posted:

My roommate is a former vegetarian and has some dried texturized soy protein chunks left over from his meatless days. We're trying to use them up, so I added some to a soup and tbh they're pretty unappetizing (spongy and tasteless). Is there a way to cook them to make them less gross?

Maybe you could use it as meatball or meatloaf filler?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Bellabel posted:

Mix them with ground beef, for like tacos and similar.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I want to bounce some christmas dinner ideas off of my favorite culinary hivemind.

I'm cooking a goose for Christmas. I'm quite comfortable with poultry in general and roasting big poo poo is nothing new, but I've never worked with goose. I gather that I need to score the skin and might have to remove some excess fat during the cooking process. Any other tips and tricks? Should I crisp up the skin with a cornstarch glaze? Are there any factors that would effect the stuffing in vs. out decision? What's the best thing to do with leftover goose fat? Is there a good way to make gravy out of the drippings or will it just be too fatty?

I'm thinking an "exotic" mushroom and dried (cherry/currant/whatever looks good) stuffing with leeks, carmelized shallots and almond meal. (I've got some dental issues and can't have anything crunchy.)

For sides I'm doing a sweet potato mash with grade B maple syrup, Fontina (and/or whatever looks good) Mac n Cheese with truffle oil, Veg TBD, Bread TBD.

Dessert is "orange snow" (traditional family monstrosity) pumpkin pie and whatever else I feel like making. If I have time, I want to make a country terrine as an app.

Here's the hard part. I have one oven, and I also have to make a ham in addition to the goose. I'm cooking for five foodies, two good-natured but very old and soft-palated grandparents, two teenagers who are so well-mannered that I will never know what they really think, and a cranky uncle who gets mad if his wife buys the wrong brand of milk because it tastes different. I'm not so much concerned about what anyone will think of me based on what I cook, but I really do want to make sure everyone has a good time and has plenty of food that they will enjoy eating.

Suggestions and tips much appreciated- thanks for reading my ramble.

Mutter
Nov 20, 2004
I can't even afford 10 fucking dollars.
Request: Your favorite appetizers

Every year my mom has a Christmas Eve party with around 15-25 people. This year I thought I'd help her out. She will do a few of her signature dishes but then she will go out and buy like 200 dollars worth of stuff from M&M meat shops.

I've told her to do her best dishes: Spinach dip, bacon wrapped water chestnuts and some various salads and meats/cheeses. Skip M&M's for the most part.

I'd appreciate any recipes or websites!

SnakeParty
Oct 30, 2011

Mutter posted:

Request: Your favorite appetizers

Every year my mom has a Christmas Eve party with around 15-25 people. This year I thought I'd help her out. She will do a few of her signature dishes but then she will go out and buy like 200 dollars worth of stuff from M&M meat shops.

I've told her to do her best dishes: Spinach dip, bacon wrapped water chestnuts and some various salads and meats/cheeses. Skip M&M's for the most part.

I'd appreciate any recipes or websites!

Try some Chicken Satay, with peanut sauce, and cucumber relish.

http://www.goodeatsblog.com/2008/01/chicken-satay.html

this site is pretty legit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

SnakeParty posted:

My sis and I are making Duck. I have never cooked it before nor eatin it before. What are some good recipes/pointers. Also what kind of side dish/boozy beverage would go well with duck?

Are you talking about a whole duck or are you looking at a couple of duck breasts/other portions? Roasting, like most any fowl, is a pretty standard application, but technique and recipe will vary depending on the cut of duck you have.

Pairing duck and orange is a classic, so if not cooking in an orange sauce I could suggest a side of wild rice with just a touch of orange zest/splash of juice. Otherwise simple herbed roasted potatoes would be good.