Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

poser posted:

play real (ice) hockey like a man.

I've been meaning to over the year and a half, but between money, time, and life (within that 1.5 year window: marriage, house, child) I just haven't had the opportunity yet.

Verman posted:

At the end of each season, try washing your gear. You figure it just sits there and collects bodily fluids its whole life, the only way to even remotely get rid of the smell is to try and remove some of it.
I've actually run all of my gear except my gloves and helmet through the washer/dryer a few times (once or twice air drying), and it seems to help only very slightly, and the effect doesn't seem to last. Maybe I'll try this alcohol thing people are suggesting.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Nothing. Accept the fact that your gear will always smell terrible. It's a badge of honor :colbert:
You can be proud of your stench all you want Mr. Stinky McReekerson, but the second-to-last thing I want to be smelling on the bench (the first being my teammates) is me. :colbert:

Habibi fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
PS: I've seen some talk here about Tron sticks. Been thinking about ordering one the last few weeks to try it out, and got an e-mail today that their 'LE' stick is 50% off through 12/31 with the 'tronle' promo code. Just FYI in case anyone is interested. I got 2.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Look up clean-gear services in your area. Some metro areas have services that specialize in cleaning hockey/football/lacrosse equipment. Your stuff will come out smelling minty fresh. It usually costs $20-$30 and takes about one to two days.

Before our local cleaning place folded, I used to try to get my gear cleaned at least once every six months.

Also take all of your poo poo out of your bag as soon as you can after every skate, this makes a huge difference. I just skated at lunch today. As soon as I get home from work, I'll take it all out and lay it out to try. The longer your gear stays wet, the nastier it'll get.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 15, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

This makes me want to visit Canada:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iwvfYmpYdaM

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This makes me want to visit Canada:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iwvfYmpYdaM

I saw that the other day (it might have been linked in N/V, not sure where I saw it), and have since been wondering how common it is to have bare ice like that.

I grew up in Alaska and spent many hours on fozen lakes, and there was always snow on top of it. I've never seen bare ice like that.. it's pretty amazing looking. Would probably need constant winds like is in the video for it to happen.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
In my 23 years of hockey playing I have never once washed a piece of equipment.

Also considering ordering Tron stick...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

You're "that guy" responsible for stinking up entire rinks. :colbert:

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I air out my equipment all the time but I must have a bad sense of smell cause I never smell other peoples equipment. Well, unless it's really bad.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bewbies posted:

Also considering ordering Tron stick...

Me neither.

What helped me keep the stink down aside from the tips here is just making sure to always wear a long sleeved shirt, dri-fit if you can. Soaks up a ton of sweat and keeps it from going anywhere else.

You don't know stink until you spend 4-6 hours a day on the ice for a week with 30 or so people, and walk into ventilation-less the locker room on that last day. Wow.

I also am not terribly smelly by myself, which probably helps.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 16, 2011

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I don't wear a shirt or socks. More poo poo to take care of. After hockey I like to stumble in the house, rip open my hockey bag, and sprawl everything across the floor.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I usually take everything out of my bag and let it air dry, maybe some antibacterial spray. Seems to be working out pretty well

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
San Jose goons: You know what sucks? Playing center on Center ice when you have 3 sets of wings, and only 2 centers. My legs are toast today. But we won. :-)

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

San Jose goons: You know what sucks? Playing center on Center ice when you have 3 sets of wings, and only 2 centers. My legs are toast today. But we won. :-)

What does being on center have to do with that?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

What does being on center have to do with that?

lovely ice, wider rink.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

lovely ice, wider rink.

Its NHL sized:ssh:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Gio posted:

I don't wear a shirt or socks. More poo poo to take care of. After hockey I like to stumble in the house, rip open my hockey bag, and sprawl everything across the floor.

Socks are for ninnies, but I got too cold putting wet gear on so the long sleeve dri-fit helped with that, if i remembered to pack a dry one.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

Its NHL sized:ssh:

Is it? Everyone tells me it's wider because of the figure skating and curling and poo poo.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

trilljester posted:

I never understand why teams rotate 2 sets of Centers and 3 sets of wingers. We do it too. The centerman's job is such that I think they need more rest than a wing. I'd either bring a defenseman up to fill out a line(skating 3 or 5 back), or else skate 3 centers, 3 natural wings (more of whichever side shooters you have), and 2 off wings. If guys are pissy about ice time, you can swap a winger after the 1st period.

Oh hey. You know what's awesome though? The Avs beating the Sharks twice in a row :)

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

Is it? Everyone tells me it's wider because of the figure skating and curling and poo poo.

Sharks Ice at San Jose is located at 1500 S. Tenth Street in San Jose, California, at the intersection of Alma and Tenth Street. We are the largest rink facility west of the Mississippi and is one of only seven rink facilities in the United States that currently operates at least four NHL-sized ice rinks.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Every game I play is on a huge rink. Its about 30 feet wider than normal. It takes a long rear end time to get to the corners.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

International sized perhaps?

Almost every normal sheet is 200'x85'

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Dangerllama posted:

International sized perhaps?

Almost every normal sheet is 200'x85'

It's a former speed-skating rink. Bonnie Blair trained there!

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

Sharks Ice at San Jose is located at 1500 S. Tenth Street in San Jose, California, at the intersection of Alma and Tenth Street. We are the largest rink facility west of the Mississippi and is one of only seven rink facilities in the United States that currently operates at least four NHL-sized ice rinks.

Huh, well, what do you know? I'll be sure to start correcting people when they complain about center.

And yeah, I agree with you Dangerllama. I'd much rather roll 5 D and float a guy through the offense lines. We have done that several times and it works, it gives me an extra shift off, which is crucial.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

- Do you guys all skate with one hand on your sticks and the other one behind your backs?
- When you're on a 2-on-1 do you have to swap lanes with the other guy at least once before shooting?
- How hard is it to play hockey in a body suit?
- Good thing it wasn't Dan Jansen's former training facility. You guys would be on your asses the whole time.

Hang on, I'm sure I've got more around here somewhere...

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation
The reason you rotate centres is because you (theoretically) put your best players at centre. these guys should also generally have the smarts to change independently of the wingers, and since they're your best players, won't hurt the team if they are tired. That said, it's certainly better to go from 5 D to 4. Now, if you'd need to go down to 3 D, that's a lovely situation and tired centres is superior. It's also easier to manage, which is another good thing in beer league. The centres should also know when they are burnt and need a winger to take their spot for a shift but often this won't happen due to pride or what have you.

All that said, the best situation is 2 lines, 4 d. :colbert: Seriously, if the team is in shape enough for this, it's totally better. Everyone is more in the game, ready to go every shift, penalties are easily dealt with, it's just more fun. Most beer league teams aren't in this kind of shape though, and the 3 lines + 5-6 D is better because of that pesky fact.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

As a defenseman, I'd gladly skate 3 D in beer league. I looooves me some ice time. And, to be honest, defensemen just don't have to skate as hard as forwards. I can easily take a 2-minute shift and not be fatigued.

Hey Lawnie, when you score a goal, do you guys just kind of coast around while you unzip your jersies?

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 16, 2011

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Most of us do absolutely nothing because we have to be macho college men. Which sucks because just once id like to score a goal and fist bump EVERYONE on the ice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does anyone around here use a do-rag or a skull cap or something to keep sweat out of their eyes? I'm curious what people have found that works under a hockey helmet.

Usually I don't have a problem with it, but it seemed like every time I went back to the bench tonight my eyes were burning. I wear both a cage and glasses, so it's a huge pain in the rear end to unfasten everything to dry off with a towel.

Side note: I could never figure out why players always squirt water on their face, I guess now I know. :doh:

sevorak
Apr 27, 2011
I use an Underarmor skullcap. Had to loosen my helmet a bit, but it works great.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

sevorak posted:

I use an Underarmor skullcap. Had to loosen my helmet a bit, but it works great.
Ditto, I used to have a major problem with sweat dripping into my eyes before when I had no skully but now that I do it's so much better.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

sevorak posted:

I need one of these badly. Midway through a shift my eyes will be burning from sweat. Why couldn't they just build on sweatbands like they do for goalie masks. I have no eye burning issues when I'm playing net.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I wear a do-rag all the time off the ice, but never on.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

Gio posted:

I wear a do-rag all the time off the ice, but never on.

Same here thug life!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I'm skating so fast that the sweat is pushed to the sides at all times, keeping it clear of my eyes

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

I'm skating so fast that the sweat is pushed to the sides at all times, keeping it clear of my eyes

I think my problem is my hairline has begun a tactical retreat, and there's nothing up front to absorb water, so it heads straight for my eyebrows.

I'm usually okay when I'm on the ice and moving around, but as soon as I get to the bench.. poo poo drips into my eyes. Eyebrows can only do so much. :smith:

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
I bought a skullcap and wore it for the first time at my last game and my head was goddamed itchy the whole time. I seem to have that problem with hats in general though...

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
Breaking the law is okay when done in the name of hockey.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Do they have some hella cheap water or something? My back of the envelope calculation based on Nashville's water rates (even at the most favorable "large commercial" rate) says like, $6,300 for 26,000 gallons.

e: Nevermind, I was looking at the wrong rates, but that still seems really cheap.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 16, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How loving thick did they make their ice to use 26,000 gallons?

Running the numbers, if you used 26,000 gallons you could build 2 inches of ice at NHL rink (200x85 feet) size.

Of course, considering the Chicago area hasn't gotten any colder than 30 degrees this year, the ground probably isn't frozen yet and these clowns spent most of the day watching their water get soaked into the earth. I mean, we had rain two days ago.

It's cold enough now, but up until last week there is no way anyone was building any ice outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
Many backyard rinks have some kind of plastic lining to stop the water from seeping into the ground.

Also, I'm getting about 3" think ice at 26000 gallons:

26,000 gal is ~98,420 L
200' x 85 is ~ 1274.55 m^2
A liter is .001 m^3
98.42/1274.55 gives you about .0772 m, which is about 3", which isn't that outrageous, although it would take a long time to freeze.