Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Niddhogg posted:

I will play Skullgirls and masturbate to the characters. If this makes me sexist then so be it.

Hey man, do as you choose, you don't answer to anybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

quote:

I have to actively think about it

Yeah, this is bad. If you have to think about it, then you won't be able to do tough combos reliably. The normal way to force this in fighting games is to learn to do the combo without looking at the TV and with the sound off.

(Learn it normally, then sound off (with music blasting), then peeking, then only looking when it finishes to check and see if it was performed.)

quote:

edit: I'm really not trying to be a unique snowflake

Yeah, I was referring to the stick. Trust me, you aren't the first guy to theorize that maybe a player would be better off with the stick on the right side.

From this basic idea, we have seen alot of people try to make sticks to address it. I'll dig up some pictures later. There have been just opposite sided sticks, ones where the stick is in the center and way forward, gamepad on left side/arcade buttons on right, and the old school method, cross-handed.

I think when you calculate everything, just playing normally wins out by convenience. This may not necessarily be true in your case. If it comes down to it, then I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. If you have the time and money to splurge then go for it.

quote:

As I mentioned earlier, I'm going to rent my buddy's stick for a bit and test it out. The only question I have though, have there been any ambidextrous players in the FGC?

They've probably all been stolen by baseball scouts

edit- Interestingly, I see you are more worried about your right hand not being up to snuff than your left, is that correct? Or I might be confused. In any case, generally the left hand does way more complex work. I think the normal joystick is the "leftie" stick, TBH.

The joystick lever itself is also 10x more complicated than a button, especially in terms of muscle memory. If I had my preference I would have my dominant hand on the joystick lever.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 16, 2011

Spaceship Zero
Jul 24, 2006

The soul of vengeance is a robot dinosaur
40 has a lot of good reasons why you shouldn't bother, but there is a pretty cheap way to reverse stick and buttons. Unmount and rotate the stick in the case 180 degrees and then play with the stick upside down in your lap. Your buttons will likely be in an awkward as gently caress configuration but you can have a custom plexi cut to fix that for under twenty bucks.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
It's cool bro, if you find a better alternative to anime girls, then more power to you.

To me, Skullgirls seems like a good starting point for western devs to start making more fighting games and not rely on Japanese devs to make something that would cater to them.

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

Its kinda hard to say its full of nearly naked women when there's only 7 characters so far and only 3 of them are "nearly-naked"

I mean they are all traced from the same sprite and that sprite has huge fuckin boobs

sleeps-chan
Jan 7, 2006

by T. Fine
uhh, when did they add ads to arcana heart 3?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

sleeps-chan posted:

uhh, when did they add ads to arcana heart 3?

Found a Gamespot thread about it from back in June.

sleeps-chan
Jan 7, 2006

by T. Fine
I guess a better question is why

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

SNOT CORN posted:

I mean they are all traced from the same sprite and that sprite has huge fuckin boobs
Ha ha, yeah they sure are dude.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

The website has them all in the same pose which makes the art style look a lot worse than it actually is and probably the main reason so many people complain about the art style in general. I dunno why they don't just put their idle animations on there or something instead cause the game is loving beautiful in motion and the animation is its strong point and what defines the characters so well.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

welp only half

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Actually, you just kinda proved that they aren't all traced from each other, and that they also have different builds and poses.

Like, I didn't know how broad Cerebella's shoulders were until you did that.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

Robolizard! posted:

welp only half

drat its too bad they all stand in that exact same pose in game too. Wrap it up skulltards, this game is a wash.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Broken Loose posted:

Like, I didn't know how broad Cerebella's shoulders were until you did that.

Please just start a Skullgirls thread :(

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?
Start a maximum shut up broken loose thread and then have him post in it once and then lock the thread so he is trapped in there for all eternity.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Cinroth posted:

Start a maximum shut up broken loose thread and then have him post in it once and then lock the thread so he is trapped in there for all eternity.

Agreed, if only to disassociate broken loose from Skullgirls.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I wish we could disassociate SA from fighting games.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Its okay to enjoy media even if it has sexist/racist/etc elements. You dont have to stop liking a good fighting game if you admit it's sexist.

soonmide
Sep 10, 2006

The important thing is that Skullgirls isn't exploitative. In motion it's easy to see that the character designs focus on the various monstrous aspects of the characters and their body shapes become an aside to their main design idea. Body types and exposed skin aren't degrading in themselves, the potentially sexist factor lies in why it's there, and so far these parts of the characters in Skullgirls all seem to add to the idea behind the character. Keeping this in mind, comparing the way the Skullgirls roster is presented to characters like Cammy and Any Soul Calibur Female places them in a pretty favourable light.

While it isn't an end-all argument in itself, I've asked women who are notably conscious about sexism in video games about their opinions on the game, and they've all agreed that it's a step up from the industry norm, indicating that there's something different about these character designs that let them appeal to both sexes. They noted that these were characters they could see themselves wanting to be, which is more than you can say about your general male-oriented Ivy Valentine design. It's all about where and how sexist factors have pervaded video games, and it's unfortunate that a game like Skullgirls is targeted a lot when it's one of the very few fighting games that has designed its female characters well.

Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.
Psh, why would you do something silly like get a woman's opinion on whether something is sexist against women?

In all seriousness, game is gonna own, looks great and is no more sexist than SF is racist but BL still has terrible opinions.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
Just simply having women wearing skimpy outfits does not make it antifeminist.

I'm sure the Amish or Mormons would advance this similar argument that has been made here "They are dressed like WHORES!" What is important is the game's ideology.

For example, Morrigan is a succubus which is like the most primitive antifeminist ideology as expressed in an old monster story. She could be fat or butch or her breasts covered properly but she'd still be antifeminist ideologically.

Where is that kind of thing in SG?

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 16, 2011

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

soonmide posted:

The important thing is that Skullgirls isn't exploitative.

Uh huh

Also, "it's not as bad as X!" is a lovely, lovely argument, whether it's about poverty, racism, or sexism.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Strong Convections posted:

Uh huh

Also, "it's not as bad as X!" is a lovely, lovely argument, whether it's about poverty, racism, or sexism.

"She looks like a SLUT!"

This is not feminist analysis bro

edit- Again, this type of criticism sounds like it could come from religious fundamentalists, because there is never any mention of ideology, just that these girls look like TOTAL SLUTS!

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 16, 2011

tranceMD
Apr 25, 2006

Forsooth! Methinks thou art no ordinary talking chicken.
I did think it was pretty dumb when one of the devs for SG said in an interview that anyone who disliked the game's visual style was wrong and that it all stemmed from an ignorant attempt at being chivalrous or something like that. Because God forbid your art might just not appeal to some people. It's like saying that anyone who doesn't appreciate Melty visually is just revealing their secret hate for Japanese culture.

Personally if the game does catch on with at least a niche audience I am looking forward to all of the terrible stick art some people are going to make. Move over Chun/Cammy!!

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

40 OZ posted:

"She looks like a SLUT!"

Not a "bro", didn't call her a "slut". Would call it pandering to male audiences and exploitative.

EDIT: Also, game looks garbage and, much to my surprise, worse in motion (personal opinion, not a fan of Guilty Gear's art either which this reminds me of)

Strong Convections fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 16, 2011

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

40 OZ posted:

"She looks like a SLUT!"

edit- Again, this type of criticism sounds like it could come from religious fundamentalists, because there is never any mention of ideology, just that these girls look like TOTAL SLUTS!

That's some serious projection.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Not a "bro", didn't call her a "slut". Would call it pandering to male audiences and exploitative.

Which is a really weak charge that really means nothing in terms of "Is this game antifeminist?"

I'm just curious why we are seeing these really overt attacks when SG seems to be literally the only fighting game without overt anti-feminist ideology presented plainly.

Apparently you can prominently feature the strictly antifeminist ideology presented in Mileena, Morrigan, and so on and nobody even grumbles. But the second a game features WHORES prancing around in their underpants we get this really intense reaction.

This is absurd and feels more Jerry Falwell than Andrea Dworkin.

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

You're really defensive about your chosen anime game's art style, and really need to stop putting words in other peoples' mouths.

I haven't really been following SG closely, I'm just naively interested in this critical analysis.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 16, 2011

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You're really defensive about your chosen anime game's art style, and really need to stop putting words in other peoples' mouths.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
There's no real reason for Mai from KOF (probably the most extreme example in relevant fighting games) to act or dress the way she does or for the girls of Skullgirls to be designed the way they are either. What I'm trying to say is that the portrayal of many female fighting game characters physically and emotionally (new girl character from Soul Calibur 5 I'm looking at you) is shall we say less than ideal, and I'll leave it at that.

I hope the gameplay is good enough to make me forget about some of the egregious character designs, just like how I forget about Mai because KOF is a blast. It doesn't fix the underlying problem and implications, but at least it's something.

soonmide
Sep 10, 2006

tranceMD posted:

I did think it was pretty dumb when one of the devs for SG said in an interview that anyone who disliked the game's visual style was wrong and that it all stemmed from an ignorant attempt at being chivalrous or something like that.

I'm pretty sure that was a misquote by some terrible kotaku writer, where they were quoted as justifying the voluptuousness simply by mentioning their female lead animator, which is a lovely argument. They've since made statements against it, as they would rather justify the art style by its own merits.

Personally I think showing off cerebella as one of the first characters might have been a bad choice considering how she apparently gave off a strong impression that the entire game would have women dressed like her? I think it's still in line with her character, she's a circus artist.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

40 OZ posted:

Which is a really weak charge that really means nothing in terms of "Is this game antifeminist?"

I'm just curious why we are seeing these really overt attacks when SG seems to be literally the only fighting game without overt anti-feminist ideology presented plainly.

Apparently you can prominently feature the strictly antifeminist ideology presented in Mileena, Morrigan, and so on and nobody even grumbles. But the second a game features WHORES prancing around in their underpants we get this really intense reaction.

This is absurd and feels more Jerry Falwell than Andrea Dworkin.

None of that is operating in a vacuum though. Do you know anyone who expected the new Mortal Kombat to be a paragon of feminist ideology? Are you amazed when they don't grumble that much about Mileena?

People are grumbling more about SG presentation because the idea of a fighting game developed by and for fighting game fans sounds great, they may like the sound of the mechanics and how it's progressing, and then they find out that the presentation of the characters is frankly more than a little embarrassing (not to everyone, but again I have no idea how you'd be surprised at people taking issue with panty shots or that nurse outfit). They're new characters in a new game, not reoccurring ones that frankly everyone has probably accepted will never be any good.

That you think this difference is something to do with religious fundamentalism smacks of a ridiculous level of defensiveness.

Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.
Hey here's a thought: a bunch of men can't really speak on what oppresses, objectifies or belittles women. I'm guilty of trying literally minutes ago, but maybe women can tell for themselves without a group of guys letting them know they should totally be offended by this? I'm pretty sure people who think they know better than you what's offensive is where censorship comes from.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Midboss posted:

Hey here's a thought: a bunch of men can't really speak on what oppresses, objectifies or belittles women. I'm guilty of trying literally minutes ago, but maybe women can tell for themselves without a group of guys letting them know they should totally be offended by this? I'm pretty sure people who think they know better than you what's offensive is where censorship comes from.

I'm not gonna get too much into this because it's definitely not the place but having your own opinion as to what could be inherently offensive or oppressive to a minority isn't inherently bad, nor is it telling them "you should be offended by this!". You may be part of the majority but your perspective matters if real change is gonna happen.

But I'm sure you already know that.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

40 OZ posted:

Uhhh, well if you mean it is against feminism, I didn't comment. If you're saying it's "pro-feminism", I would say that calling it "pandering to male audience and exploitative" is a pretty good charge against it I think.

40 OZ posted:

Apparently you can prominently feature the strictly antifeminist ideology presented in Mileena, Morrigan, and so on and nobody even grumbles.
Sure, I'll discuss other, 'mainstream' FG females- I really hate the new KOF character designs with bending forward Mai, huge-breasted King, and wimpy Yuri.

Except I doubt you want to discuss those, you just want to have a go at someone for not being in love with some unreleased game and pointing out that it isn't a piece of virtuous pro-feminist media.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Bubble-T posted:

That you think this difference is something to do with religious fundamentalism smacks of a ridiculous level of defensiveness.

I am not a key investor or part of the team or even following Skullgirls closely. I'm simply saying, if we want to get philosophical about this kind of thing, let's do it properly.

I made a clear 1:1 observation that all of these "progressive" attacks on SG would be -precisely- the same attacks a religious fundamentalist would make. That is suspicious and just flatly true, I'm not sure how you can twist this into some kind of projection?

quote:

panty shots

gently caress yea! And so the FG thread has come full circle.

-The big fighting games have characters that are explicitly female sexuality personified into a monster that devours men's souls.

-In SG, some character's underpants are displayed.

that's all im saying~

Except I doubt you want to discuss those, you just want to have a go at someone for not being in love with some unreleased game

oh my god i am not broken loose i barely know anything about this game

edit- And i do like to discuss those (and i have! we have gotten into the ideology of chun-li in here), it is fun. But getting deep into that kind of thing isn't allowed in this thread.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 16, 2011

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Why don't you take it to the Minorities in Gaming thread or the Positive Portrayals of Women thread then?

I'm willing to believe that you're sincere in your wish to discuss it but your "She looks like a SLUT!" post really made it look like you weren't interested in an actual discussion.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

40 OZ posted:

I made a clear 1:1 observation that all of these "progressive" attacks on SG would be -precisely- the same attacks a religious fundamentalist would make. That is suspicious and just flatly true, I'm not sure how you can twist this into some kind of projection?

They're not similar at all unless you believe that a religious fundamentalist position would be that the Skullgirls art-style further contributes to the objectification of women across a medium already rich in objectification.

That said, wasn't there going to be a DLC that changed all the characters into men or something like that?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I just realised the skullgirls page has character measurements lmao

VVV You puppetmaster

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Bubble-T posted:

Why don't you take it to the Minorities in Gaming thread or the Positive Portrayals of Women thread then?

I'm willing to believe that you're sincere in your wish to discuss it but your "She looks like a SLUT!" post really made it look like you weren't interested in an actual discussion.

Oh okay. I'll concede everything and join the feminist boycott of skullgirls.

But it was worth it to get you to bring up "panty-shots."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
Skullgirls character designs absolutely have an element of pandering and male gaze to them but I don't find them exceptionally awful compared to other fighting game female characters. Every female in Mortal Kombat (cept maybe Sonya? And don't her clothes fall off while you play? I dunno I don't play it) is basically only wearing underwear as their entire outfit. Cammy not only has a ridiculous outfit but every match starts with a long slow pan right on her rear end (this kinda stuff, shifting camera focus just for some TnA, seems way more sexist to me than having revealing outfits). Sakura probably has more panty flashes than Filia.

You can basically look at every single fighting game and find poo poo designed to pander to males. There's no reason to target Skullgirls as being somehow far worse than anything else except that there are only females and the art style is partially influenced by anime. I will say though I would have liked for at least one character to have worn pants, probably contradicting my entire argument right there :v:

Bubble-T posted:

I just realised the skullgirls page has character measurements lmao
Apparently they put measurements up because female cosplayers wanted them for reference or something. Could be wrong.

• Locked thread