Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

The_Doctor posted:

And how overpriced will this licence be? :(

Honestly, it doesn't matter this time. I am fine without Batman...this is gonna be an easy sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I just want a box full of Urikai.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

"You take this golden ashtray to Mount Doom, I don't wanna fuckin' go."

I want to see Lego Gollum and I want to see him right the hell now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So, no Space theme this year, apparently, only Star Wars. Pirates is now PotC. Kingdoms, etc will be replaced by LotR. Throw in the DC/Marvel stuff (which reminds me.. we've seen DC stuff, but none of the Marvel line)

Only the Dino and City lines are unrelated to a licence. I guess I should be glad it's just 'Dino Hunters' and not an official Jurassic Park line (which would be awesome, and I know it).

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Requesting someone with a lot of purple and gold blocks make some Third Street lego creations.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I didn't really get into LOTR (but then, I probably wasn't the target audience when it came out) so this has probably done me a favour...it's given me one less line to bother with. With two modulars to buy (I still haven't got Pet Shop), Joust and the mini modular set, it's going to be an expensive year anyway!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Testro posted:

I didn't really get into LOTR (but then, I probably wasn't the target audience when it came out)

Or likely, alive, in 1954. ;)

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I was so excited by this news I decided to buy a domain name and start a blog. Of course if past experience is anything to go by I actually bought a domain name that will expire in a year without me actually getting around to doing anything.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Testro posted:

I didn't really get into LOTR (but then, I probably wasn't the target audience when it came out) so this has probably done me a favour...

Well it's not like any of us are actually the target audince for LEGO either :D

Actually that's not true. Clearly modulars and a lot of the exclusives are still aimed at adults so in a way we are.

Testro
May 2, 2009
Haha, yeah, that too! I meant the films (although failed to state that!). I had tried to read the Hobbit when I was about 9 but it didn't do much for me and I think that put me off engaging with the franchise later on.

My mates all love it though - books, films...the lot.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Light Gun Man posted:

Requesting someone with a lot of purple and gold blocks make some Third Street lego creations.

I'd be all over this if I had the parts for it. Surely Brick Daddy from the recent Space Police line would be vital for this.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
So my plan is getting the sets and watching through the extended editions as I build them.

Also, wtb 1000 asst orc/knight figures

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

The_Doctor posted:

Only the Dino and City lines are unrelated to a licence. I guess I should be glad it's just 'Dino Hunters' and not an official Jurassic Park line (which would be awesome, and I know it).

Considering dino hunters costs as much per piece as licenced stuff they mayswell have made it a jurassic park line. I honestly wish though they made the dinosaurs out of bricks instead of molds I would of had much more interest in the line.

I am still sad that theres no news of a second wave of alien conquest

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I hope we get an official Eye of Sauron.

EDIT: And a Witch King of Angmar. Being stabbed by Eowyn.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

I was so excited by this news I decided to buy a domain name and start a blog. Of course if past experience is anything to go by I actually bought a domain name that will expire in a year without me actually getting around to doing anything.

Need any help? I write for other blogs :)

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

The_Doctor posted:

Need any help? I write for other blogs :)

Possibly, although there probably isn't going to be much to write about for a while. Feel free to zap a contact email to thatgravyjones at gmail dot com if you want.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 16, 2011

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Gravy Jones posted:

Possibly, although there probably isn't going to be much to write about for a while. Feel free to zap a contact email to thatgravyjones at gmail dot com if you want.

I might be able to write something too. I'm a professional blogger...of sorts.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Welp, goodbye money.

Who wants to bet that seven-foot Tower of Barad-dur had something to do with this?

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

rickiep00h posted:

Who wants to bet that seven-foot Tower of Barad-dur had something to do with this?

It probably has more to do with the LEGO videogames then the actual building blocks. We have had Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Batman, Harry Potter, Potc and it is no surprise that LOTR wants to get in on that 'all ages' videogame bracket.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

rickiep00h posted:

Welp, goodbye money.

This?

Boy, that ain't poo poo.

THIS, now, that's what I'm talkin' about.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Just trying to imagine what Lego Helm's Deep is gonna look like. I think we're gonna need a bigger table.

So what do you think will actually be sets? Bilbo's House/birthday party, maybe? The Prancing Pony with Nazgul (retooled Dementors, I'm betting :effort:)? The fight from RotK so we can get some Lego oliphaunts? Mount Doom itself, probably. They could probably wrangle two or three sets from Moria. The well/tomb, the Bridge (Lego Balrog has to happen), maybe the long-rear end hall with all the pillars or the lake battle out front? That'd probably be an easy set. Front door, lego octopus, Bill the Pony sometimes missing from your set, the works!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Torael_7 posted:

This?

Boy, that ain't poo poo.

THIS, now, that's what I'm talkin' about.

Can't there be room for both? :ohdear:

edit: Since they've included The Hobbit, I would be mighty upset if there wasn't some sort of Smaug.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008

Merchant of Death posted:

It probably has more to do with the LEGO videogames then the actual building blocks. We have had Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Batman, Harry Potter, Potc and it is no surprise that LOTR wants to get in on that 'all ages' videogame bracket.

Oh God, is it gonna be brick and a video game?

Also, I never realized how much I need a Lego Ent.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I've just been thinking about all the stuff I hope they do. There's loads of castles and towers and things, and I guess Hobbit holes would be interesting. And a Mount Doom. With creatures I hope there's a Balrog and those flying things. And a whole gang of Nazgul and a Witch King.

This is a great idea, I'm just surprised they didn't do it earlier. Aren't the films like 10 years old by now? Although I guess they still do classic Star Wars.

A Lego Lord of the Rings game would be great too.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

It hasn't hurt that the games have all been fantastic platformers.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

So, no Space theme this year, apparently, only Star Wars. Pirates is now PotC. Kingdoms, etc will be replaced by LotR. Throw in the DC/Marvel stuff (which reminds me.. we've seen DC stuff, but none of the Marvel line)

I'm kinda bummed about this :( I'd sort of like to get back into Lego but I don't really have any interest in licensed sets. If they were phasing out PotC or Star Wars in favor of lego pirates/space I could live with that, but I hope I'm not going to have to wait until 2013 to get my Lego on.

I guess at least there's that giant-rear end joust set coming out soon. Looks like that just became a mandatory purchase for me.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

McDragon posted:

I've just been thinking about all the stuff I hope they do. There's loads of castles and towers and things, and I guess Hobbit holes would be interesting. And a Mount Doom. With creatures I hope there's a Balrog and those flying things. And a whole gang of Nazgul and a Witch King.

This is a great idea, I'm just surprised they didn't do it earlier. Aren't the films like 10 years old by now? Although I guess they still do classic Star Wars.

When the films were released I don't think LEGO was in the best shape and the Star Wars license was still in it's infancy. At that time it would probably have been a pretty big risk. I think it would still probably be a big risk if not for the Hobbit films (this is a license for both those and the Lord of The Rings movies) so they have some current marketing behind it rather than just being for decade old films. There's also the issue that in general the Lord of the Rings licensing situation is a bit of a mess as the books and films are seperate entities in this respect.

I think it's an interesting contrast to the Star Wars line as it's much more location based where as Star Wars is very vehicle based. Probably a lot closer to Harry Potter in that regard.

I think the biggest potential issue is the scale of a lot of those locations. For the most part I guess it's more likely to be scenario/vignette play sets. Although something on the scale of some of the Hogwarts sets could be cool.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I wouldn't expect any huge location sets outside of whatever the range-topping set is.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
There are also the big monsters that take the place of vehicles.

1 x Legolas minifig.
1 x bag of bricks to build a cave troll.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Monster w21 Faces posted:

1 x Legolas minifig.

This is sort of what I was thinking with Smaug. Couple dwarves, some nondescript walls, pile of gold, dragon.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Monster w21 Faces posted:

1 x Legolas minifig.

Legolegolas. Although I'm thinking a cave troll will probably be a single piece rather than built.

It's hard to tell from the press release but I suspect the first wave would largely focus on the first Hobbit film and I can't really think of any iconic "big" locations from that. Misty Mountains/Goblins I guess, but it's fairly generic compared to Lonely Mountain/Battle of Five Armies (alternatively Battle of half a dozen minifigures).

Obviously all complete speculation, but speculation is fun. It also amused me how much the hardcore LOTR nerds who hate the films because they're not identical to the books would flip their poo poo if they ever saw a LEGO LOTR game.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Bloomberg on marketing Lego to girls, link found via BoingBoing:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/lego-is-for-girls-12142011.html

Behold the ladyfig:

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Didn't they try that already with Belville in the 90s?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Seems a little patronising?
Also, it doesn't look like lego. But what do I care? If it keeps them in business.

Gravy Jones posted:

Legolegolas. Although I'm thinking a cave troll will probably be a single piece rather than built.

It's hard to tell from the press release but I suspect the first wave would largely focus on the first Hobbit film and I can't really think of any iconic "big" locations from that. Misty Mountains/Goblins I guess, but it's fairly generic compared to Lonely Mountain/Battle of Five Armies (alternatively Battle of half a dozen minifigures).

Obviously all complete speculation, but speculation is fun. It also amused me how much the hardcore LOTR nerds who hate the films because they're not identical to the books would flip their poo poo if they ever saw a LEGO LOTR game.

If there's not a Bag End with a Gandalf and all the dwarves I will flip my poo poo.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 16, 2011

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

benito posted:

Bloomberg on marketing Lego to girls, link found via BoingBoing:

It's insulting, I love the technic sets/creator and old model team and there is nothing girly about them and I still buy them.

I don't mind the 'girl coloured' bricks but the minifig bothers the hell out of me. Plus flesh tone blasphamy its bad enough star wars started that.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

I wouldn't expect any huge location sets outside of whatever the range-topping set is.

I wonder if they will do something like this:

I figure something of that size should go for about $100 or so. Including minifigs.

In unrelated news, I recently had a major head injury.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Lizard Combatant posted:

Seems a little patronising?
Also, it doesn't look like lego. But what do I care? If it keeps them in business.

Yeah, I feel the same, seems pretty dang patronising. When I was growing up me and pretty much all my friends had Lego sets. It never felt like a boys' toy, it was just an everyone toy.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

It's insulting, I love the technic sets/creator and old model team and there is nothing girly about them and I still buy them.

I don't mind the 'girl coloured' bricks but the minifig bothers the hell out of me. Plus flesh tone blasphamy its bad enough star wars started that.

My 5-year-old daughter and wife are both retarded for LEGO as they are, no pastel colors necessary. We (as parents) hate the princess marketing and I'm honestly sad that they're caving to it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Plus flesh tone blasphamy its bad enough star wars started that.

Flesh tone is fine for licensed sets where you want a representation of a real person. Real lego is yellow though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

rickiep00h posted:

My 5-year-old daughter and wife are both retarded for LEGO as they are, no pastel colors necessary. We (as parents) hate the princess marketing and I'm honestly sad that they're caving to it.

If defiantly a discussion I've had with my partner. If we end up having kids we will defiantly be taking the unisex approach when it comes to toys.