Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

FlyingCheese posted:

Why would you update with 2 completely different app stores anyway?

I get the same problem even when I uninstall the Amazon version. Keeps telling me to "update" it when in reality it's downgrading it to a version well out of date.

I only keep the Amazon market installed because I'm afraid of losing out on the occasion decent free app, although that seems to be less and less of an occurrence these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
I'm using chompsms with textfreek. I managed to add 2 friends; however, I can only send a text to one of them (the orange send button only comes up for one person). The one I can't send to is in the UK. Any ideas?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Ericadia posted:

Afaik they wont install automatically.

Maybe not all of them. But first boot and sign in on my nexus greeted me to about 40 apps downloading and setting themselves up.

Mileage may very.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Is there any app on the market that will test your SD card and see if it's bad/failing?

I tried searching the market but market search still sucks and :google: hasn't told me anything useful.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Anyone tried the star chart 10c app yet?

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Yeah, I like it better than Google Sky Map, actually. For $0.10 it's pretty great.

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

LastInLine posted:

I seldom do a full wipe but I was wondering how well it plays for the sort who is flashing CM nightlies often. If I were to put it in the in /system/app and put it in the CM Backup text file would it be completely hands off? It seems like it would.

I'm guessing your correct as it lives (on a rooted phone) in the system partition. I've only had to completely reinstall twice when I've gotten too far behind on nightlys to flash over the top without incurring problems. Otherwise it plays nicely with flashing nightlys in my experience.

Also, I've never actually lost my phone so never had to use this app in a real world situation, but played with all the functions and Theftaware performed exactly as advertised.

Edit/ I know I'm stating the obvious but I pay credit cards, check bank balance, ect, and its a HUGE peace of mind knowing if I do lose my phone I can borrow any text capable device and lock or erase my device.

potentiometer fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Dec 16, 2011

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Is there any app on the market that will test your SD card and see if it's bad/failing?

I tried searching the market but market search still sucks and :google: hasn't told me anything useful.

Fastboot can test it, it's part of the OS. Reboot and hold down the Camera key. Not sure if all phones have it unlocked by default.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
Is there an app that would allow me to send free text messages to someone in the UK and that the person in the UK would not have to install this program? (just me installing it)

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Mega Comrade posted:

I get the same problem even when I uninstall the Amazon version. Keeps telling me to "update" it when in reality it's downgrading it to a version well out of date.

I only keep the Amazon market installed because I'm afraid of losing out on the occasion decent free app, although that seems to be less and less of an occurrence these days.

You can turn off automatic updates in the Amazon store. Just do it manually when you check for the (extremely) low chance of a decent free app being posted.

maverick99 posted:

Is there an app that would allow me to send free text messages to someone in the UK and that the person in the UK would not have to install this program? (just me installing it)

Google voice?

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime
Last time I tried to text internationally (from US), they had disabled that feature, even though the Google forums are full of people saying they used to be able to.

fleur_de_leet
Jun 8, 2005

All the pale things under the earth
Will reverse
Does anyone use Out of Milk? I'm liking the pantry inventory and was thinking of upgrading to the Pro version to access the sync features between my devices and my wife's phone.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

BlueTesla posted:

Does anyone use Out of Milk? I'm liking the pantry inventory and was thinking of upgrading to the Pro version to access the sync features between my devices and my wife's phone.

Yes, definitely worth it. Pretty sure it's goon-made as well.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

900ftjesus posted:

Yes, definitely worth it. Pretty sure it's goon-made as well.

It is, yes. I use it, as does my mother and my girlfriend, and we all love it to bits.

I miss when a pro account let you add on one friend for free to have a pro account too, though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Aw, is the 10c sale over? :( I would've liked to have seen more utility/productivity apps instead of a ton of games, but considering I got my tablet right before the sale started I'd say it was a good time for them to have one.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Kyrosiris posted:

It is, yes. I use it, as does my mother and my girlfriend, and we all love it to bits.

I miss when a pro account let you add on one friend for free to have a pro account too, though.

So if I want to share a list with my wife, she would have to purchase the app too? I couldn't just install the free version then log in with my email?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

C-Euro posted:

Aw, is the 10c sale over? :( I would've liked to have seen more utility/productivity apps instead of a ton of games, but considering I got my tablet right before the sale started I'd say it was a good time for them to have one.

I'm hoping they'll bring it back in some form full time because of what a huge success it was.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

rotaryfun posted:

So if I want to share a list with my wife, she would have to purchase the app too? I couldn't just install the free version then log in with my email?

my phone and my wifes phone both use the same email address for the app store, so I can install any app on either phone.

Not sure how it works here with a keycode, as other apps are more donation based.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm hoping they'll bring it back in some form full time because of what a huge success it was.

Terrible idea for developers: everyone would wait for their favourite app to become 10c

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Do you guys have any suggestions for a good Facebook app that has a full page widget available. Friendcaster and Launcher Pro both have something is perfect, but Friendcaster doesn't seem to update unless you manually refresh it, and Launcher Pro requires you to use the Launcher to have the widget. I'm kind of enjoying Ice Cream Sandwich, so I don't want to go that route.

I have looked all over the internet and can't seem to find any info on how to get Friendcaster to auto-update the widget (and there aren't any settings in the app itself), so I assume it's not possible.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Cakefool posted:

Terrible idea for developers: everyone would wait for their favourite app to become 10c

I'm not so sure about this. Look at steam, sure there are the crazy sales during the holidays, the good sales on the weekend, the medium sale on wednesdays and the crappy daily ones. But people still pay full price for the games most of the time. And the devs usually still make lots more money during sales as a lot of people will buy because of the low price. 3000 sales at $1 and 3000000 at 10c is a big difference.

fleur_de_leet
Jun 8, 2005

All the pale things under the earth
Will reverse
Thanks for the input. Going to grab a pro licence...and its always nice to support a goon!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sereri posted:

I'm not so sure about this. Look at steam, sure there are the crazy sales during the holidays, the good sales on the weekend, the medium sale on wednesdays and the crappy daily ones. But people still pay full price for the games most of the time. And the devs usually still make lots more money during sales as a lot of people will buy because of the low price. 3000 sales at $1 and 3000000 at 10c is a big difference.

I hope you're right, it'd be awesome. I'm not familiar with Steam (I know what it is but I don't use it) but if that works out for everyone then I'm all for it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

rotaryfun posted:

I don't know that the app will let you log in without having the pro unlocker app also on the phone, but I think if you both logged in with the same account, you'd get the same lists.

I have not tried that, unfortunately.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Anyone have a good solution for Facebook contact syncing via ICS that doesn't involve custom roms? I gave Friendster a try, but even the high resolution pictures are embarrassingly pixely and it doesn't sync phone numbers, which is what I really wanted it to do. An option to not sync friends without phone numbers would be optimal. I was getting used to not having to add people with Facebook accounts to my contacts so my contact list has some pretty big holes right now.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know if there's a way to force the Android Marketplace to show English text and English reviews? I'm really annoyed that I'm limited to Danish reviews and text on my phone, because I know there are way more English reviews on any given product.

EDIT: Just to be clear I mean as a setting on my Google account or my phone. I know there's a drop-down menu at the bottom of the market pages, but it only changes a local cookie, so it doesn't carry over to my phone.

Joda fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 16, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Acrolos posted:

Do you guys have any suggestions for a good Facebook app that has a full page widget available. Friendcaster and Launcher Pro both have something is perfect, but Friendcaster doesn't seem to update unless you manually refresh it, and Launcher Pro requires you to use the Launcher to have the widget. I'm kind of enjoying Ice Cream Sandwich, so I don't want to go that route.
I've never used it, but it looks like Android Pro Widget's "Timeline" widget mimics Launcher Pro's "Friends" widget. But while APW is free, it costs $2.49 to unlock the Timeline widget.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I've never used it, but it looks like Android Pro Widget's "Timeline" widget mimics Launcher Pro's "Friends" widget. But while APW is free, it costs $2.49 to unlock the Timeline widget.

It does have a specific Facebook widget as well. It's what I use, and it emulate Launcher Pro's widgets very well.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
I'm not sure if this goes in the general Android thread or this one. How the heck do I figure out what is using my GPS off and on throughout the day? Its a Samsung Galaxy SII (AT&T) and it has a task manager- I have no programs running according to that. Is there a program that will tell me what is using the GPS?

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Thanks! This seems to work perfectly for me. I don't really follow Facebook that much, so this gives me a nice quick glance.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Does anybody else's "My Library" on the market website just end partway through the list? Even though it appears that I have about twenty pages of apps, a bunch of the pages are blank and my app list stops after the M's.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Siroc posted:

I'm not sure if this goes in the general Android thread or this one. How the heck do I figure out what is using my GPS off and on throughout the day? Its a Samsung Galaxy SII (AT&T) and it has a task manager- I have no programs running according to that. Is there a program that will tell me what is using the GPS?

Very good bet that it's facebook. There was a lovely update put out not to long ago that randomly turns on and off the gps throughout the day. I've just been turning gps off before opening it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Does Out of Milk work for the iPhone as well? Or is there a similar phone that does?

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
Are you Galaxy Nexus people using the ICS launcher or back to LPP/ADW/etc? I'm not loving the stock one very much.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

soru posted:

Are you Galaxy Nexus people using the ICS launcher or back to LPP/ADW/etc? I'm not loving the stock one very much.

I haven't found any reason to switch away from stock yet

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

dissss posted:

I haven't found any reason to switch away from stock yet

The search thing taking up space on every page is the biggest offender, but there are a lot of other little tweaks you get used to from other launchers that seem conspicuously absent. Like number of pages, number of rows, etc.

Maybe that stuff's in there and I'm just missing it?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

soru posted:

The search thing taking up space on every page is the biggest offender, but there are a lot of other little tweaks you get used to from other launchers that seem conspicuously absent. Like number of pages, number of rows, etc.

Maybe that stuff's in there and I'm just missing it?

It doesn't really take up a row, you still get the same 4x4 area you had available before the bar was introduced.

Valid point about lack of customisation available though - especially not being able to change the grid size up to 5x5 or higher (which I'd imagine would be great on the big screen of teh Galaxy Nexus)

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp
There are a few quirks about the stock launcher on the Nexus I dislike but overall I am quite happy with it. I am however waiting for this bad boy to come out. http://youtu.be/SYzYQ6YtepU The ugly ultra simplistic clock is the one thing I really need to change when I get a spare moment.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Joda posted:

Does anyone know if there's a way to force the Android Marketplace to show English text and English reviews? I'm really annoyed that I'm limited to Danish reviews and text on my phone, because I know there are way more English reviews on any given product.

EDIT: Just to be clear I mean as a setting on my Google account or my phone. I know there's a drop-down menu at the bottom of the market pages, but it only changes a local cookie, so it doesn't carry over to my phone.
Settings -> Language & keyboard settings -> Language settings?
The Market app will use the phone language setting, not your Google account setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

dissss posted:

It doesn't really take up a row, you still get the same 4x4 area you had available before the bar was introduced.

Valid point about lack of customisation available though - especially not being able to change the grid size up to 5x5 or higher (which I'd imagine would be great on the big screen of teh Galaxy Nexus)

It might not take up a row but it does take up space. I can see why it would be ok to have a persistent search bar on a tablet where you have a ton of screen space but sticking it at the top of every home screen on a phone is dumb. Also why oh why can't we change the number of screens, such a simple thing yet only Rosie let's you do it.

• Locked thread