Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

STiL. posted:

People can have opinions guys, even ones that you and a whole lot of people might not agree with. No need for the entire thread to act offended and insulted by it.

shut up broken loose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Let's all practice Love and Respect for each others opinions about Marvel vs. Capcom 2 on these, the Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games forums.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I miss the trap, for real. Strider/Doom was so much fun.

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.

Vengarr posted:

I miss the trap, for real. Strider/Doom was so much fun.

Probably my favourite team to watch in MvC2. If I was actually any good at fighting games back then I'd have tried to learn Doom Strider. Clockwork is the main reason I tried doom out in Vanilla MVC3 because his doom is amazing to watch.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Seymour Butts posted:

They need to just take everything related to the sunglasses away! It's the dumbest buff mechanic I've ever heard of. And why would you get a buff by taking them off, if anything you should get stronger by putting on a fresh pair of sunglasses!
The only thing I like about Wesker getting a buff when he takes his sunglasses off is that it makes his taunt at least 300% more hilarious.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

Uhhh Justin and Dogface are 2 of the best commentators in the community and JUstin is probably one of the best in not THE best MvC2 player.

That may be so but there were at least 3 moments in the first 15 min of the video when one of the commentators would say 'Clockwork's got this match in the bag' when Neo was up 1 or 2 characters over Clock, and then surprise surprise! Clockwork would lose the match!

Their hind sight and analysis might be good, but the play by play commentating was pretty awful. And it's pretty annoying to be so smug about it while you're saying it, and then instantly get proven wrong

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
And furthermore, crank dat soulja boy remixes are not hype.

sleeps-chan
Jan 7, 2006

by T. Fine
marvel matches between two top players are close and unpredictable!? :monocle:

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Guilty posted:

Their hind sight and analysis might be good, but the play by play commentating was pretty awful. And it's pretty annoying to be so smug about it while you're saying it, and then instantly get proven wrong

That's fighting games for you.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

sleeps-chan posted:

marvel matches between two top players are close and unpredictable!? :monocle:

Yes, this is the point, so why be smug about your prediction when it turns out to be wrong?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Elephunk posted:

Oh my god, around 54:00 JWong goes for Divekick but then mid-air X Factors, lands, and throws.

So drat good at these games.

The most amazing thing that JWong did was repeatedly block Flocker's corner Zero mixups. Flocker threw so much stuff out that I had no idea what was even happening and yet JWong blocked it.

And about that Clock v Neo match I got exactly the opposite impression about the commentators. I thought Justin was pretty spot on. He was even correctly calling things that were about to happen, which is far and above most other commentators.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

I dare say, I almost wished dogface would shut up just because I knew JWong had some insane level of insight he was trying to communicate at the time.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

STiL. posted:

I dare say, I almost wished dogface would shut up just because I knew JWong had some insane level of insight he was trying to communicate at the time.

Welp, we all know you're crazy now, cause no one sane would say a terrible thing like that.

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

As an outsider to MvC2 I have to say: Clockwork was playing super lame (lame as in uncool, not zoning), and his Strider's orbs + Doom's rocks is super cheap.

The parts of the video I enjoyed were the ones with Strider dead.

I know that Neo's defense had holes and he needed to rush down more blah blah blah... But still, that Strider lock down is not fun to watch.

Also, gently caress the crowd.

E: VVVVVV Strider Doom is cheap in my opinion and no amount of nostalgia (which I don't have for that game btw) will change my mind.

Hahaha you're an idiot who has no idea how difficult it is to play Strider/Doom that way. Clock was even dropping combos and still winning. Nobody cares what your uniformed dumb wrong opinions are.

Also Dogface knows how to make matches really hype (which is something sorely missing from a lot of modern commentary) and sometimes makes funny jokes but 2/3 of his commentary on that match was just him screaming "GODLIKE!" "EPIC!" and "HYPE!" over and over again and it really got on my nerves.

Justin may have been annoying in how he kept criticizing Neo's play but at least he was giving some insight on the match and the strategies people were using vs. better strategies they could've been using.

Whoever said they're good together is right though and it's too bad Dogface is gone and Justin never has time to commentate because he's always playing.

Chocolate America fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 16, 2011

eSKAObar
Sep 27, 2003
Ask me about our everyday low prices!

Fargin Icehole posted:

And furthermore, crank dat soulja boy remixes are not hype.
Marvel vs. Capcom, Soulja vs the world

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
A friend of mine actually had dinner once with Justin Wong where he explained that the real effort for him just learning the system and execution of games he competed in.

Once that was done, the easy trick was more or less psychology (both anticipating and psyking out the opponent). That was the real skill that he carried over from game to game.

That probably explains how he can block so well. It's superior psychology.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Thundercracker posted:

It's superior psychology.

Sure wish I had that Wongbuster Armor right about now. - Tony Stark

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Sure wish I had that Wongbuster Armor right about now. - Tony Stark

I'd like to think that this Armor would be like the suitcase armor from the 2nd movie, but that it is a Fightstick instead.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Thundercracker posted:

A friend of mine actually had dinner once with Justin Wong where he explained that the real effort for him just learning the system and execution of games he competed in.

Once that was done, the easy trick was more or less psychology (both anticipating and psyking out the opponent). That was the real skill that he carried over from game to game.

That probably explains how he can block so well. It's superior psychology.

Of course the real effort is learning the system and execution! Psychology doesn't get you very far if you can't execute and you don't know your options and your opponent's options. Godlike blocking shows knowledge of the game system, knowledge of the matchup, good execution and a solid read on your opponent.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
Neo lives here in Bakersfield and often shows up to local meetups.

As you can guess, he loving hates MvC3.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I just started using Sentinel's H drones (the carpet bomb ones) and holy crap are bad dante/vergil players free to H drones. The bombs drop behind Sent and hit people who teleport behind him every time for a free combo.

Sent in the Neo vs Clock match looks so fun to play it's a shame he's so much slower in MvC3.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ZackHoagie posted:

Neo lives here in Bakersfield and often shows up to local meetups.

As you can guess, he loving hates MvC3.

Do any top players like MvC3? This is not rhetorical; is there anyone who is just bananas for UMvC3 and thinks it's a great game and just loves playing it?

scrooger
Feb 26, 2006
I think people like it but don't think it's really good like mvc2.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
http://www.capcom-unity.com/marvelvscapcom/go/thread/view/102977/28773325/Heroes__Heralds_Ability_Card_list

Heroes and Heralds incomplete card list.

These all look so hilariously and awesomely broken.

(before people ask: the letter on the card is the rarity and the [Lvl #] in the descriptions give the relative strength of any attributes that are repeated. You can equip one card as primary and two more as secondary.)

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Did they say anything about effects stacking or will it be best one is the one used? Would be hilarious to have a combined 6 or 7 levels of HC regen.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I love that Astaroth ability. Turns your last character into a pseudo-Dark Phoenix for 3 bars.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Primary: You can activate X-Factor an unlimited number of times at the cost of HC Gauge, however you will no longer be able to use Hyper Combos.

:aaaaa:

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Miles edgeworth, multiple man, fin fang foom (primary)
and Wesker.

:shepface:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Seizure Robot posted:

Primary: You can activate X-Factor an unlimited number of times at the cost of HC Gauge, however you will no longer be able to use Hyper Combos.

:aaaaa:

DARK N-GROOVE RISES

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I like Enchantress' ability, because it actually makes a difference whether your opponent is male or female. Might want to consider Felicia over Wesker and Morrigan over Ryu. :v:

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Multiple Man doesn't seem like it'll be that great to me. As far as I can tell it means no assists and no crossovers and no aerial tags, right? I only saw one health bar shown in the video demonstrating it.

Give me something like Fing Fang Foom (primary) Thanos and Silver Surfer on a team that all have x-factor infinites any day.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Some of the XFactor ones seem super broken, but then there's stuff like Red Hulk which is just fun:

Primary: You will be unable to see your vitality and HC gauges. + Increases attack power. [Lv. 3]
Secondary: You will be unable to see your vitality and HC gauges. + Sends the opponent flying upon activation of X-Factor.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Seizure Robot posted:

Multiple Man doesn't seem like it'll be that great to me. As far as I can tell it means no assists and no crossovers and no aerial tags, right? I only saw one health bar shown in the video demonstrating it.

Give me something like Fing Fang Foom (primary) Thanos and Silver Surfer on a team that all have x-factor infinites any day.

As far as I can see, it's more along the lines of, when the character dies, a replacement of the same, with buffed stats, is immediately sent in. I'm going to run it with Zero for maximum laughs. Along with Sabretooth and Mega Man. Level 3 Z Busters with almost no charge time? gently caress yeah.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
Cards > Gems

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

Niddhogg posted:

Cards > Gems

If only Capcom would realize this :sigh:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

S-Alpha posted:

As far as I can see, it's more along the lines of, when the character dies, a replacement of the same, with buffed stats, is immediately sent in. I'm going to run it with Zero for maximum laughs. Along with Sabretooth and Mega Man. Level 3 Z Busters with almost no charge time? gently caress yeah.

When they say "charge" do they mean like zero's buster or like hulk's gamma wave?

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

CountBlanc posted:

Do any top players like MvC3? This is not rhetorical; is there anyone who is just bananas for UMvC3 and thinks it's a great game and just loves playing it?

Viscant and Clockwork really like the game, I think those are the only two have said so.

I think everybody recognizes that it's not as good as Marvel 2, but it's still pretty fun and it gives you the team dynamic that is simply not available in any other game out right now, excepting Skullgirls when it comes out.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Sex Vicar posted:

If only Capcom would realize this :sigh:

Seriously, I think gems would've gone over much better if A) they weren't being forced into regular gameplay, and B) they actually had cool, interesting effects. If you're gonna add a goofy collectible-style gimmick, make it fun and optional.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Countblanc posted:

When they say "charge" do they mean like zero's buster or like hulk's gamma wave?

Since it's a Megaman card, I'd just go out and assume they mean stuff like Zero's buster, Optic Blast, Vergil's Round trip, etc.

I gotta say, though, figuring out a primary/secondary setup will be a little annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
It might be nice on Thor too, since he has some chargeable moves. Namely Mighty Smash.

• Locked thread