Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
After 3 years of BJJ/wrestling, when a guy gave me aggressive body language tonight and told me 'yeah gently caress off' at a party for no reason I just adopted an aggressive posture and told him he was a loving oval office that had 3 brain cells. He came up and rushed forward. Having seen a concrete surface in all directions, I grabbed an over/under and using the under I pushed his arm up through and over to shrug him off. Said he was a oval office. And walked off with my eyes fixed on him, looking pensive.

I went inside and everyone told me what a bitch I was.

Welcome, guys, to being good at grappling. Being wise and sensible will earn you being called a homo (deserved or not), and in front of a bunch of girls you will look useless.

It also owns, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
Maybe if people tried rational discussion with people who have attitude issues, assumed they were misguided instead of just natural assholes, things would turn out better for everyone?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Neurosis posted:

After 3 years of BJJ/wrestling, when a guy gave me aggressive body language tonight and told me 'yeah gently caress off' at a party for no reason I just adopted an aggressive posture and told him he was a loving oval office that had 3 brain cells. He came up and rushed forward. Having seen a concrete surface in all directions, I grabbed an over/under and using the under I pushed his arm up through and over to shrug him off. Said he was a oval office. And walked off with my eyes fixed on him, looking pensive.

Welcome, guys, to being good at grappling. Being wise and sensible will earn you being called a homo (deserved or not), and in front of a bunch of girls you will look useless.

It also owns, however.

I dunno if telling a random rear end in a top hat at a party that he is a loving oval office with three brain cells quite counts as "wise and sensible".

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
It wasn't a random arsehole. It was a thing with a guy being aggressive for little reason.

I just found it funny when one of the few times I would have been able to use the wrasslin' with justification my experience actually told me to do nothing, and it made me feel instantly stupid, but that overall it was the right move.

I made a net gain on the affair, and I'm not joking, because getting into an actual physical fight ends up being awful.

Edit: basically, BJJ/wrestling/MMA training taught me NOT fighting was the good idea because I realised it would mash my brain, and it owns that it was THAT training that made me glance around and back down from doing something I would massively regret!

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 16, 2011

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Thoguh posted:

I dunno if telling a random rear end in a top hat at a party that he is a loving oval office with three brain cells quite counts as "wise and sensible".

Calling people stuff generally isn't wise and sensible, but avoiding an actual physical fight is. Everyone does stupid poo poo but at least what he stopped at stupid and didn't move on to the full on retard stuff.

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

picture this if you will...

quote:

You need new friends.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Good thing you don't train UFC.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Bad conversational tangent. My point was that doing fight sports taught me that fighting in that instance would have been a terrible terrible idea and I thought that was cool even though I looked soft. :( My head is okay unlike it would have been otherwise!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Rids! posted:

You need new friends.

For real. Fighting someone for stuff like that is just dumb and useless, for a lot of reasons.

Although you did make a mistake calling him a name, it does make it look like you were picking a fight. Its hard to control yourself in a spot like that, but you always come off better if you take the high ground. If you had told that guy to leave you alone, then he came at you and you just kind of brushed him off, you'd look like Jackie Chan.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 16, 2011

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
You did the exact right thing. If you looked useless, imagine how fuckin pathetic he looked.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

KingColliwog posted:

So there's a guy at our club that came in with an attitude. He likes to go full strenght and claim he'S so much better than "x" and "y" person that are higher rank than him and he should get a better belt (he's yellow). But what he's doing is basically just beating girls and small guys that are way weaker than him physically.

Teacher sent me on a mission to put him in his place. On the ground it was pretty fun just choking him with triangle chokes mostly or getting a good kesa and putting a lot of pressure so he wasn't enjoying himself. He strangely tried to avoid me all night after that. But I wasn't feeling so good about trying to beat him silly standing up because injuries come fast... I did a couple of harai maki komi and I think he got the message after cause he didn't want to fight anymore.

I really don't like to do that kind of thing usually but the guy was really being a misogynistic rear end in a top hat so it was warranted. Have any of you guys done that or has it happened at your club? How did you guys deal with assholes? It's the first one since I'm in this club.

I did this once. I wouldn't otherwise be good enough at judo to be the guy sensei puts on that mission, but I'm 300lbs and I was better than this guy. He was a 200lb white belt bullying around a 130lb green belt using all strength and no judo techniques. My sensei got mad and pulled me from a randori with a black belt closer to my size into randori with the white belt, so I could toss him around with strength AND a little bit of judo. But like KC said, it can be dangerous so I didn't slam him extra hard or anything. Just extra times.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Hellblazer187 posted:

I did this once. I wouldn't otherwise be good enough at judo to be the guy sensei puts on that mission, but I'm 300lbs and I was better than this guy. He was a 200lb white belt bullying around a 130lb green belt using all strength and no judo techniques. My sensei got mad and pulled me from a randori with a black belt closer to my size into randori with the white belt, so I could toss him around with strength AND a little bit of judo. But like KC said, it can be dangerous so I didn't slam him extra hard or anything. Just extra times.

Yeah I'm definitely not the kind of guy the coach would usually use for that kind of thing, but the biggest guys weren't there and the coach himself is too old and injured to really do anything anymore... I'm the only one that could really beat him repeatedly that was at the club that day.

I guess reading everyones reply it's the normal and ok thing to do but I still don't like the whole idea of trying to actually humiliate/hurt someone on purpose. I just hope he got the message and won't be a dick in the future. He's from Romania and he hasn't been here for long so I think a lot of it has to do with culture. Once he asked one of the girl why they trained with us guys (as in, you girls are useless and have no place here) and other stuff that really didn't help him gain sympathy. His judo is also very weird and seems mostly based around strength. He also won't tap until he's almost passed out or his arm is about to break...

It's really weird, since I had begun judo it seems that our club never had one of those guys and he's doing everything you can hate in a grappling partner all at the same time. If he had a Tap Out t-shirt he'd be a caricature.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Nierbo posted:

You did the exact right thing.
I think eating the insult and deescalating would have been the right thing to do. Not the thing that felt right, certainly, but the right thing to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuERSRNKZXM

I was feeling a bit off after a bad workday, so I went for a jog. Ended up being 1.4 mi. I should have timed it. It felt ok. Maybe this is the entree for me to really do some stuff other than training at the gym all the time.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
Recently I've started to get a sore right knee from practicing Hapkido, I can only really pinpoint this down to down the amount of target kicking we do with our right legs only.

Anyway does anyone get this type of issue? and if so, what would be the best treatment for it?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Raphisonfire posted:

Recently I've started to get a sore right knee from practicing Hapkido, I can only really pinpoint this down to down the amount of target kicking we do with our right legs only.

Anyway does anyone get this type of issue?

I get it. I tend to overrotate my lower leg on the axis of my upper leg, so I don't land square with my shin on the heavy bag. So some of the jarring goes into my knee in a twisting motion. If I am training kicks a lot, my knees will definitely be sore. I have no idea what can be done about it. Even if I clean up my motion a lot, if I miss the sweet spot on my shin, it'll jar the knee.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kimbo305 posted:

I get it. I tend to overrotate my lower leg on the axis of my upper leg, so I don't land square with my shin on the heavy bag. So some of the jarring goes into my knee in a twisting motion. If I am training kicks a lot, my knees will definitely be sore. I have no idea what can be done about it. Even if I clean up my motion a lot, if I miss the sweet spot on my shin, it'll jar the knee.

This became a big problem with my IT band. Just had to end up strengthening/foam rolling it. Even when I overrotate without totally spinning my heel I can generally avoid injury.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Welp, looks like my last post kind of dissapeared on the previous page. Oh well. Any advice would still be apprciated!

On another note, it was brought to my attention that my club had lost two of its girls not because of a loss of interest, as I first thought, but because they felt they didn't really learn anything, or rather, that they couldn't really pull anything off in a grappling sense against the guys- and one of these girls had been around for a couple of years.

I'm sure girls and martial arts are kind of a complicated issue, but I'm not sure how to directly approach it other than feel really, really bad that someone would feel like they're not learning.
The first logical step seems to be to kind of moderate who the girls grapple with, and make sure you don't have a 90 pound girl grappling with a 200 pound monster-- and I suppose the same ought to be true for a 90 pound dude, if that was the case.

In BJJ clubs I've been to, it seems like a lot of girls stick to the other girls, but if we can't keep any girls around for any consistent amount of time, that's not really an option, and I'm not sure how I feel about it being "segregated" like that, and I'm not sure how a girl would feel about being told to switch partners, but hey, if they can do this in other clubs, I'm sure we can do it as well.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Bohemian Nights posted:

Anyone else lost their SENSEI? Any suggestions for me and the board on how to approach this, beyond just meticiously planning the crap out of it?

I don't actually have any useful advice to contribute, but kudos for stepping up to the plate like that. If there's one thing that sucks it's clubs dying because of instructor drama.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Bohemian Nights posted:

I'm sure girls and martial arts are kind of a complicated issue, but I'm not sure how to directly approach it other than feel really, really bad that someone would feel like they're not learning.
The first logical step seems to be to kind of moderate who the girls grapple with, and make sure you don't have a 90 pound girl grappling with a 200 pound monster-- and I suppose the same ought to be true for a 90 pound dude, if that was the case.

In BJJ clubs I've been to, it seems like a lot of girls stick to the other girls, but if we can't keep any girls around for any consistent amount of time, that's not really an option, and I'm not sure how I feel about it being "segregated" like that, and I'm not sure how a girl would feel about being told to switch partners, but hey, if they can do this in other clubs, I'm sure we can do it as well.

There really isn't much you can do to make it "work" better I think. Our club also has a couple of girls at any given point and they mostly roll together or against smaller guys. When they get paired with a 250lbs monster the monster usually takes it pretty easy too (say, only practices passing guard or something). When trying techniques the idea is kinda to let them finish stuff even if they couldn't pull it off because twig arms vs massive brute.

We also ask people to switch partners all the time in every type of class, that's perfectly ok IMO.

But those girls who really get into BJJ and want to compete are better of changing to this other gym which has women only classes and tons of women around. I also hear the women/girls roll with the more experienced juniors to deal with the size difference. In a small town like yours you're pretty much stuck with what you have though.

edit: And no idea what to do about losing your teacher. Is anyone else good enough to jump into his spot, even near? Just try to learn and make as many notes as possible about stuff until time runs out and then have the more experience people sub for him. A bad spot for you guys.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Bohemian Nights posted:

Welp, looks like my last post kind of dissapeared on the previous page. Oh well. Any advice would still be apprciated!

On another note, it was brought to my attention that my club had lost two of its girls not because of a loss of interest, as I first thought, but because they felt they didn't really learn anything, or rather, that they couldn't really pull anything off in a grappling sense against the guys- and one of these girls had been around for a couple of years.

The secret is to hit that sweet spot of having something like 4 girls and 2-3 guys that are pretty small and won't try to beat the girl using muscle. In the begginers class a few girls would come every session but would all leave. Until one was a little more badass and stayed. Then another one and now that there's always 3 regular girls in the beginners class most of the new ones stay. The beginners class now has about 1/3 of girls and the retention is very good.

In the advanced class it was kind of similar. We have that one brown belt girl that was always there and will always be there and new girls would come in every now and then but wouldn't stay very long most of the time. Until we were lucky enough to have 3 new girls come in at the same time and they stick/come at every class.

Other than that, it's all about having an environment that won't scare girls away and making sure the guys understand that just because you can beat a girl using your strength doesn't mean it's ok to do so. But in the end, if there's only one or two of them it's hard to keep them in the club otherwise they will feel a bit like Nierbo did at his old judo club where he was smaller and less graded than everyone and there's not much anyone can do about it.

---

And for your losing your teacher part that really suck but I have no advice. My teacher kind of hinted that he would probably leave in a couple years last week and it kind of scares me because there is no one that could really take his place in my opinion. Well, there's one guy but he has 4 kids so it just won't happen. I really, really don't want to change club so I hope he change his mind and keep teaching for a long time

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 17, 2011

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?

KingColliwog posted:

Other than that, it's all about having an environment that won't scare girls away and making sure the guys understand that just because you can beat a girl using your strength doesn't mean it's ok to do so. But in the end, if there's only one or two of them it's hard to keep them in the club otherwise they will feel a bit like Nierbo did at his old judo club where he was smaller and less graded than everyone and there's not much anyone can do about it.

There's a 15 yr old girl that comes to the fundamentals class (her dad trains at the academy as well) and I feel so bad for her. She's the only girl and she's like 5-10 years younger than everyone else on top of that. Open mat would start and she'd be sitting there with her mouthpiece in and gi on and everyone would just ignore her. I'm friends with her dad and have been out with them before so I thought she might be comfortable with me, asked her to roll and her eyes lit up and she was so happy haha. I make sure to give her a round every night and it's a chance for me to catch my breath and practice technique without strength. I'm learning a lot about how to be a good training partner for someone smaller/less technically skilled. lovely situation for her though, I have a lot of respect for that kid to keep at it like she has

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Today was a tournament day. Won against a BJJ guy and then lost to an estonian punch man and thus took silver in the 65.8kg class (from 6 guys)

First fight was three rounds of me punching the guy in the head, wrestling at the ropes and jumping guard at the first sign of a throw (which kept happening because i kicked like poo poo). I also got a few chances to work the thai clinch and throw some heavy knees. Got him really winded but he recovered well between rounds. At the last minute i got a takedown and was working a brabo choke when the bell rang and i got the unanimous decision.

Second fight was special mostly because my opponent wasn't bald but actually naturally balding. I had seen his earlier fight where he kept looking for a right counter, so i just glued my left arm on my head and started with a hard right hand. I landed a few of those, then started throwing one-twos which found their home pretty well until he threw a left low kick which caught me on the knee.
My corner realized i was hurting and he shouted me to switch stances. I did and realized i couldn't put any weight on it so i threw an absolutely ridiculous left high kick before collapsing in a heap of pain and shame.
Luckily the kick didn't actually gently caress up my knee, just bruised some cartilage and made the vastus medialis swell up like a motherfucker.

Now i'm off to a bar to drink the whiskeys. All of them.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Congratulations on winning a fight, and it sounds like you were doing well in the second one as well. I'm impressed you had the mental capacity to actually look at what the guy was doing and counter it, because whenever I do stand-up fighting I'm so exhausted within the first 10 seconds that I doubt I'd even remember to keep my hands up, period.

Don't drink all the whiskey, though. It'll hurt more the day after than any amount of legkicks would.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Illegal Username posted:

Hooray! Hats off for the win. Now go drink all the whiskey, you'll be fine in 2 or 3 days :haw:

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

mindtwist posted:

There's a 15 yr old girl that comes to the fundamentals class (her dad trains at the academy as well) and I feel so bad for her. She's the only girl and she's like 5-10 years younger than everyone else on top of that. Open mat would start and she'd be sitting there with her mouthpiece in and gi on and everyone would just ignore her. I'm friends with her dad and have been out with them before so I thought she might be comfortable with me, asked her to roll and her eyes lit up and she was so happy haha. I make sure to give her a round every night and it's a chance for me to catch my breath and practice technique without strength. I'm learning a lot about how to be a good training partner for someone smaller/less technically skilled. lovely situation for her though, I have a lot of respect for that kid to keep at it like she has

That's good, everyone should make it a point to do stuff like that if they want to keep the girls in. We have a young girl in a similar situation to the one you describe. She's 14 or so (never asked her) and she's always very happy when I ask her for a randori or when she asks and I'm not already taken by someone else. I use this time to work on technique just like you and I'll sometime stop and suggest her stuff that she could do to get out of a hold or stop me from doing some submission. She's pretty good for her weight too, but she has no one to really test herself against. She always performs well in competition.

--

Great that you performed well Illegal Username!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Illegal Username posted:

Today was a tournament day. Won against a BJJ guy and then lost to an estonian punch man and thus took silver in the 65.8kg class (from 6 guys)

First fight was three rounds of me punching the guy in the head, wrestling at the ropes and jumping guard at the first sign of a throw (which kept happening because i kicked like poo poo). I also got a few chances to work the thai clinch and throw some heavy knees. Got him really winded but he recovered well between rounds. At the last minute i got a takedown and was working a brabo choke when the bell rang and i got the unanimous decision.

Second fight was special mostly because my opponent wasn't bald but actually naturally balding. I had seen his earlier fight where he kept looking for a right counter, so i just glued my left arm on my head and started with a hard right hand. I landed a few of those, then started throwing one-twos which found their home pretty well until he threw a left low kick which caught me on the knee.
My corner realized i was hurting and he shouted me to switch stances. I did and realized i couldn't put any weight on it so i threw an absolutely ridiculous left high kick before collapsing in a heap of pain and shame.
Luckily the kick didn't actually gently caress up my knee, just bruised some cartilage and made the vastus medialis swell up like a motherfucker.

Congrats man! Hopefully you'll have many more to come as well.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Don't drink all the whiskey, though.

Don't listen to this guy. This guy is a liar.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Fontoyn posted:

This became a big problem with my IT band. Just had to end up strengthening/foam rolling it.

Where did it hurt for you, at the top or bottom? I had a real bad pain pretty much at the tip of my hip, and the massage therapist at the gym thought it might be a "coffee" ligamnt or something. That was just his mnemonic for it. Wonder if it was the IT band.

Foam rolling it was insanely painful, but it did fix it. I wonder if it's just turning up for me at the knee, on the other leg.

davidcm
Jan 26, 2008
The muscle the therapist was referring to was probably tensor fasciae latae (sounds like latte). It's attached to the IT band, and both of them can get really tight when they aren't stretched often enough. Mine, for example, are hosed.

Good thread by the way. I'm going to try out Judo tommorow!

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
The whiskeys made the pain relocate from my leg straight into my head. Also made me wake up in the bathtub for some reason.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Congratulations on winning a fight, and it sounds like you were doing well in the second one as well. I'm impressed you had the mental capacity to actually look at what the guy was doing and counter it, because whenever I do stand-up fighting I'm so exhausted within the first 10 seconds that I doubt I'd even remember to keep my hands up, period.
To be fair it was an incredible easy thing to spot.Me and my cornerman watched the guy beat someone silly by circling and countering every single left punch with a blitzing fast right hand and the conversation went something like:
"I really don't want that to happen to me"
"So don't jab"
"What, just lead with the right?"
"As long as you keep your left up".
"Right"

I did that and things worked until i got my dumb rear end injured.

GET YO JUMPIN KNEES HERE

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai

Bohemian Nights posted:

Any suggestions for me and the board on how to approach this, beyond just meticiously planning the crap out of it?

What do you have when the instructor leaves? Bunch of blue belts sharing the instructing responsibilities and administration duties? You can run a BJJ gym with few blue belts, I've seen it done here. The main issue is that you have to find a new head teacher. There must some BJJ Black Belt somewhere in that desolate country of yours? Go to seminars and get affiliated with some good Black Belt. Ask him to run a seminar in your gym every now and then. You will receive decent teaching to keep your level from declining and you get belt test. Some lonely and desolate clubs here just run their trainings on their own and sometimes the main man from Brazil checks in and tells them how it should be done. It is not as good as having your own instructor present, but you can manage with that.

During the next five years you will face some struggles to keep your gym running, but after that period some of your blue belts will make it to purple and brown. Then the instructor problem is almost solved. That, or you all just have to quit.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Illegal Username posted:

"I really don't want that to happen to me"
"So don't jab"
"What, just lead with the right?"
"As long as you keep your left up".
"Right"

"no, left"

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

4 days of Jiu Jitsu and I've managed to pull/strain/tear something on my rib cage. :(

I can breathe in with little to no pain, but exhaling, particularly quickly, or other contracting movements are painful. There are certain positions that seem to bind it up as well.

The only thing I can think of is we were doing some self defense drills that involved a rolling sort of take down, and his arm got trapped under my rib cage for a couple repetitions.

Hopefully I'm not out too long. I've paid up front for 3 months, and if I'm out for too long, I suppose I'll have to negotiate with my instructor. Good times.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Does anybody do their weights right before or right after practice? I want to work weight lifting back into my regimen. I know there's a set of dumbbells at the dojo and I usually get there 45 minutes before class. I just don't want to ruin myself for actual class.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

MalleusDei posted:

4 days of Jiu Jitsu and I've managed to pull/strain/tear something on my rib cage. :(

I can breathe in with little to no pain, but exhaling, particularly quickly, or other contracting movements are painful. There are certain positions that seem to bind it up as well.

The only thing I can think of is we were doing some self defense drills that involved a rolling sort of take down, and his arm got trapped under my rib cage for a couple repetitions.

Hopefully I'm not out too long. I've paid up front for 3 months, and if I'm out for too long, I suppose I'll have to negotiate with my instructor. Good times.

Come back slow, nagging rib injuries become crippling rib injuries if you push them. I dislocated a rib as was completely out (couldn't even walk quickly) for a month, and had to train light for a month after that. Take it easy and let it heal now, miss 2 days to avoid missing two weeks or more.

many (most) schools only charge you for days you're actually there. So they'll roll over 2 weeks or a month or whatever if you cant train. Some places require you to notify them if you'll be out, some just take attendance and track your days. Maybe yours doesn't, but if you don't know, ask them.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kimbo305 posted:

Where did it hurt for you, at the top or bottom? I had a real bad pain pretty much at the tip of my hip, and the massage therapist at the gym thought it might be a "coffee" ligamnt or something. That was just his mnemonic for it. Wonder if it was the IT band.

Foam rolling it was insanely painful, but it did fix it. I wonder if it's just turning up for me at the knee, on the other leg.

The pain would start on the outside/middle of my left knee and progressively work its way into my hip. The foam rolling was also like pressing glass into the lateral part of my leg.

Definitely foam roll at first sign of pain. I also go out of my way to pivot a lot more and am way more careful with letting people kick my knee inwards.

Fontoyn fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 20, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

For me the pain seems to be internal and/or under the patella. Don't think it's ever been on the sides.

Oh, and while there is 1 foam roll at the gym, there's a lot more 5" PVC pipes. That's what I actually used. Made me tougher than anything else training-wise.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
today I'ma teach hand blocks to fitness boxers who never spar or even do boxing/sparring drills like from last page nor would ever need to block anything.

HOWEVER I secretly hope that at least one or two of them start thinking "hmmm this is interesting", get a striking bug and appear to either boxing or maybe BF courses next year, there's always some "leakage" from the fitness groups to contact groups and IMO it's our sacred duty to Jedi mind trick people into taking that step :colbert:

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Illegal Username posted:

Congrats man! lovely about the injury, hopefully you'll get back to training in no time. Awesome pic.

KingColliwog posted:

So there's a guy at our club that came in with an attitude. He likes to go full strenght and claim he'S so much better than "x" and "y" person that are higher rank than him and he should get a better belt (he's yellow). But what he's doing is basically just beating girls and small guys that are way weaker than him physically.

Teacher sent me on a mission to put him in his place. On the ground it was pretty fun just choking him with triangle chokes mostly or getting a good kesa and putting a lot of pressure so he wasn't enjoying himself. He strangely tried to avoid me all night after that. But I wasn't feeling so good about trying to beat him silly standing up because injuries come fast... I did a couple of harai maki komi and I think he got the message after cause he didn't want to fight anymore.

I really don't like to do that kind of thing usually but the guy was really being a misogynistic rear end in a top hat so it was warranted. Have any of you guys done that or has it happened at your club? How did you guys deal with assholes? It's the first one since I'm in this club.
Don't feel bad - some people need a good rear end kicking. When I first started I got my rear end handed to me after manhandling a smaller orange belt.

We get a lot of riff raff drop by our club so it happens regularly. The latest was a poo poo-talking brown belt visiting the club. Our instructor finally had enough and asked all the brown belts to show up next class. They all proceeded to randori with him one after the other. That was a fun class.

I've been asked once during newaza class when a tall white belt was picking on the newer small guys in the class. It was at the end of the class and I was already unpacking my street clothes, but our instructor told him to roll with me. Usually it's the upper belts putting people in place but since I'm one of the smaller guys I knew my instructor wanted to prove a point. Toyed with him in closed guard (got him super tired), scissor swept him, and when he tried to push me off I told to keep his elbows in and try bridging instead. He didn't listen so I arm barred him. Our instructor talked to him afterwards and he's calmed down since then (or at least we thought until he cranked my arm a couple classes later :mad:).

How did your instructor signal you? Mine gave me a nod with a wink and smile, which he only does in those situations.

VVV I wanna train at your gym. Mine's obviously not gay enough! VVV

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 20, 2011

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Bangkero posted:

Mine gave me a nod with a wink and smile, which he only does in those situations.

squeezes the toned butt and compliments on your rack if it's a good one

if one of those situations comes about

edit: after winking and smiling of course

Ligur fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Ligur posted:

today I'ma teach hand blocks to fitness boxers who never spar or even do boxing/sparring drills like from last page nor would ever need to block anything.

HOWEVER I secretly hope that at least one or two of them start thinking "hmmm this is interesting", get a striking bug and appear to either boxing or maybe BF courses next year, there's always some "leakage" from the fitness groups to contact groups and IMO it's our sacred duty to Jedi mind trick people into taking that step :colbert:

I think a ton of people in those groups would actually really enjoy doing real striking and sparring, if they didn't have the social programming that getting hit is like terribly painful and like the worst thing that could ever happen to you.

• Locked thread