Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh hey speaking of terrible games, SWG dies today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Was there one of those unstoppable alien invasions as a big send-off or did they just pull the plug on the servers?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Lobok posted:

The guy's name is Starkiller? Was this only a nod to the original Star Wars scripts or did he have something to do with Luke as well?

Annikin Starkiller (thats spelled right) was an early name in drafts for what became Luke. It got shifter around alot and it was Luke Starkiller for a bit, all pre ANH. A secret history of Star Wars has all the details. Its really interesting some of the names Lucas made up and used later and shifted around a bunch. For example General Skywalker was the mentor badass when the script was literally a scene for scene of Hidden Fortress.

On thing I learned from that book. When you hear stuff like Han was originally supposed to be a green lizard. Or Han was raised by Wookies...

1. Its probably true.
2. There are so many breif and changing backstories and plots that nothing is definative.

Most alternate things only exist in one revision of a script. So Han was a lizard in one script but its often given much more significance then it was in reality.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 15, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Was there one of those unstoppable alien invasions as a big send-off or did they just pull the plug on the servers?

The four guys still playing got together to weep and eat a Lightsaber shaped cake.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I got it on Steam as part of the SW Pack, but never got around to installing it and loving around for the last little bit of its lifetime.

Why couldn't they have given me KOTOR2 instead :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lobok posted:

The guy's name is Starkiller? Was this only a nod to the original Star Wars scripts or did he have something to do with Luke as well?

While he goes by the name Starkiller in game its not the character's "real" name. Vader renames him when he kills his father and takes him in to be his apprentice.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I don't know if anyone here bothers to read Star Wars Insider - I used to, but now just browse through it in the bookstore to see if there's anything interesting in it. The latest issue has a short story by Matt Stover about Darth Plagueis' master Darth Tenebrous. As you might expect from Stover it's exceptionally well written, pretty dark, and with a bit of mindfuckery in it. It's like Traitor in that is explores some of the more metaphysical stuff related to the post-TPM Star Wars mysticism, but is a bit more...I guess 'spiritual'? Anyway it's only like 6 pages long but one of the more engrossing Star Wars things I've read recently.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlc01vH8kLU

Ewan McGregor is pretty cool. After the intro, he says some fun stuff about Star Wars right here.

e: Starts at about 7:25

Animal Friend fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 16, 2011

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Warning, SAmart whoring in this post. I'm selling Star Wars posters taken from San Diego Comic Con 2011, one from the Hasbro booth promoting the Revenge of the Jedi toy line and one from Hallmark for Lego Star Wars. Any questions, direct in the thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3454442

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Has anyone read Knight Errant, Shadow Games, or Riptide?

I'm most interested in Shadow Games. OT Han Solo and Dash Rendar together? :hellyeah:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Carnaticum posted:

Ewan McGregor is pretty cool. After the intro, he says some fun stuff about Star Wars right here.

LOOK AT THE MOONS!! LOOK AT THE MOONS!!!

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Carnaticum posted:

I honestly don't think it's possible to hate Ewan McGregor, and he is hilarious in this!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Carnaticum posted:

This better than anything else highlights the problem with greenscreen filming for me. I can absolutely imagine that if they had filmed with actual sets and props the movies would have been far better, even if nothing else in their production changed.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Has anyone read Knight Errant, Shadow Games, or Riptide?

I'm most interested in Shadow Games. OT Han Solo and Dash Rendar together? :hellyeah:

Haven't read Shadow Games, but I've heard it's so-so. Knight Errant and Riptide are both pretty good by EU standards, although Riptide is a sequel to Crosscurrent if you haven't read that already (and both are basically sequels to the game Jedi Academy).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Carnaticum posted:

He seems to just tell the exact same story over and over. Right down to forgetting the name of the planet is Tatooine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z08pO0nDCPA

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Chairman Capone posted:

This better than anything else highlights the problem with greenscreen filming for me. I can absolutely imagine that if they had filmed with actual sets and props the movies would have been far better, even if nothing else in their production changed.

Counterpoint -- a bunch of the Tattooine scenes from Episode I were filmed onsite in Tunisia, and it didn't really help.

draize_train
Apr 26, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

He seems to just tell the exact same story over and over. Right down to forgetting the name of the planet is Tatooine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z08pO0nDCPA

That's what you do when you have to do a million talk shows and press junkets. Coming up with an amusing anecdote for each one is not really worth it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

For those saps like me who wondered what the last day of SWG was like.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

As someone who never played Galaxies and had no problem ruthlessly mocking it, I have to say I found the ending to that article a little touching, along with the player-built memorial to former players.

I understand why LucasArts wanted to shut down Galaxies, I just wish they had waited a few days longer. I always really enjoyed seeing the completely ridiculous Life Day getups they did for Christmas.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
drat I have some good memories from SWG, although as with most people who played it, from the first year or two after release. We had a cool player-run city that was in many ways better than what we had in Ultima Online (UO Europa Deepwater shoutout), the class/skill system was brilliant, the overall Star Wars feeling was just great... And then it became total poo poo.

As a final farewell I gave my SWTOR main the same name my SWG main had, so it's her ancestor or something. :unsmith:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

What is Mace referring to when he tells Yoda they need to inform the senate of their diminished force abilities?

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
"Blind we are, if creation of this clone army, we could not see."
"I think it is time we informed the Senate that our ability to use the Force has diminished."
"Only the Dark Lords of the Sith know of our weakness. If informed, the Senate is, multiply, our adversaries will."

They are talking about the fact that the great Jedi Council were unable to see/predict/know that a huge army was being made right under their noses. This also kind of ties into the fact that the supreme lord of the sith was right across the room from them multiple times.

Why their powers have diminished is never really covered as far as I know. Could be Palpatine some how working to dull their senses, The force growing weaker with them over time, maybe losing their connection to it like KotoR 2. No clue.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Thanks. I kind of understood what he meant with their ability to see what easy coming, just wasn't sure if I missed a cause.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

alg posted:

Thanks. I kind of understood what he meant with their ability to see what easy coming, just wasn't sure if I missed a cause.

There isn't. Lucas would rather stick hammy awkward love scenes in his movie than actually explain why the all powerful super space monks suddenly have a weakness.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
My 17-year-old cousin has never seen the original trilogy, so my best friend and I have been forcing her to watch them over Christmas break. Today is Return of the Jedi day. She gave me a lightsaber for Christmas.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
^^^
That is awesome as hell. I have been seeing a girl and her 2 year old daughter seems to be loving the movies.

As for
"There isn't. Lucas would rather stick hammy awkward love scenes in his movie than actually explain why the all powerful super space monks suddenly have a weakness"

That was a really big over sight. A simple throw away line of "The dark side of the force has been clouding our sense" or "Decades of peace has dulled our force sensitivity."

Stupid little line could of fixed it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SeanBeansShako posted:

There isn't. Lucas would rather stick hammy awkward love scenes in his movie than actually explain why the all powerful super space monks suddenly have a weakness.

To be fair, I don't think most fans would have wanted George "midichlorians" Lucas to explain any more about how the Force works.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

computer parts posted:

To be fair, I don't think most fans would have wanted George "midichlorians" Lucas to explain any more about how the Force works.

I don't know, the few times I've watched ATC on DVD I've found myself wishing it was the Holiday Special when Anakin gets all creepy stalkerish with Padme.

Uh, I mean lovey dovey. Yes.

Granted though Lucas would have explained it incredibly ham fistedly.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I feel like the simple idea that the Jedi possibly could have seen through Palpatine's schemes if it weren't for [x] clouding their senses is already pretty stupid. I'm a little biased in that regard because I severely dislike the direction the idea of Force precognition was taken into from the very moment Vader said "I sense..." for the first time, and the prequels have amplified the problems you get when your characters can look into the future.

Among other things, I hate that the excessive flourishing in the fight choreography in the prequels gets explained with "they do this to confuse the foresight of their opponents". Really? They do this

because they can look into the future?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Because you just spent all your money on the Blu-ray box set.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm completely confused about the Sith. I thought there were only supposed to be 2 of them at a time? Yet the EU has stuff about Darth's Vader's apprentice, and there's a whole empire of them in the Old Republic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm completely confused about the Sith. I thought there were only supposed to be 2 of them at a time? Yet the EU has stuff about Darth's Vader's apprentice, and there's a whole empire of them in the Old Republic.

Vader's Apprentice was, in theory, supposed to be a secret that he was training in order to kill the Emperor later. The Emperor basically lets it go on long enough to then order Vader to assassinate his rear end when it becomes trouble.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
Reading through the Darth Bane books seems to suggest being Sith bros is a new thing and this is about 2,000 years before the films. The books suggest there's a distinction between being a Darth and just your every day dark lord.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

Old Republic era takes place waaay before Bane and rule of two. Back when there was a freaky red skinned mouth tentacled race of actual Sith not pale dudes playing space Satanists.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

TOOT BOOT posted:

Yeah, only two Sith is the official rule, but since they're evil, they've never quite had a problem with rule breaking. But yeah, there's a big difference between being a Sith and being affiliated with the Dark Side. In the Clone Wars microseries, for example, I'm pretty sure Asajj Ventress tells Dooku/Darth Tyranus that she's a Sith and he responds by laughing and telling her to shut her stupid mouth. I'm pretty sure Dooku has had at least 4 or 5 Dark Acolytes, but no official Apprentice, since he himself is the apprentice.

Anyone can be Force-sensitive, anyone can study the dark side, but in order to be a Sith, you have to have the Master/Apprentice relationship and take place in some stupid naming ceremony like the one in Revenge of the Sith.

Then again, I have no clue why Sith bother to take apprentices in the first place, since one of them almost always ends up killing the other.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
wasn't ventress' character design modeled after the sith people though? Then it got turned into the dathomiri witches look?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Old Republic era takes place waaay before Bane and rule of two. Back when there was a freaky red skinned mouth tentacled race of actual Sith not pale dudes playing space Satanists.
I ended up spending like 30 minutes after I decided to go to bed reading up on this poo poo.

There's some solid, good stuff in there somewhere, crowded in an ocean of bollocks. :smith:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Flipswitch posted:

I ended up spending like 30 minutes after I decided to go to bed reading up on this poo poo.

There's some solid, good stuff in there somewhere, crowded in an ocean of bollocks. :smith:

The classic experimental KOTOR comics are quite good, despite being crowded with poo poo like the fantasy armour and camp golden pirate galleon ships.

Sadly now SWOTOR is happening they'll eagerly hire hacks to ruin the canon of KOTOR whilst pushing Obsidian writing under the carpet.

Also, speaking of that MMO I'm speculating that when they do the eventual expansion Mandalorians will be the new class for both sides.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The whole rule of two and the Sith background was an interesting read, but man the poo poo does crop up.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
SWTOR and especially my companion Vette made me read more about the Twi'leks and now I have a question: Why did they retcon their homeplanet Ryloth from an unusual, interesting tidal locked one into a boring normally rotating one in Clone Wars? Why?

Edit:
I mean, are the people making these shows retards? Reading at least a short description of the planet as preparation for making an episode wouldn't take more than five minutes. What the gently caress?

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hungry Gerbil posted:

SWTOR and especially my companion Vette made me read more about the Twi'leks and now I have a question: Why did they retcon their homeplanet Ryloth from an unusual, interesting tidal locked one into a boring normally rotating one in Clone Wars? Why?

Edit:
I mean, are the people making these shows retards? Reading at least a short description of the planet as preparation for making an episode wouldn't take more than five minutes. What the gently caress?

They literally don't care about the Extended Universe. Lucas is free to do whatever he wants and the EU has to deal with it.