Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
So the Grace socks in the new Knitty. I looked at them and decided I had to have them. I didn't have any appropriate yarn, though. I have some sock yarn but it's all self-striping stuff, which is obviously a terrible match for that pattern.

So I needed some yarn. I asked my mom for yarn for Christmas, but she didn't know what to get, so she gave me twenty bucks for yarn. With that in hand and willing to spend a bit extra to get something really nice in a properly girly but at most subtly variegated colour for such a girly sock, I went to the yarn store.

This is what I left with:

:hellyeah:

I never knew I needed neon pink lace socks before today.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Christmas mittens! :) I made some flip-top mitts for both of my sisters-in-law.

The greenish stripes are some of my handspun left over from the hats I made for them.

e. please excuse my fat, stubby-fingered goony left hand.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Sea Beanie in Tosh Magnolia Leaf

Fooley fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 10, 2011

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

Genpei Turtle posted:

This is a dumb question but are you sure you're putting the skein on correctly? I have a wood umbrella swift myself and experience the same problem, but it's almost universally because I'm putting the skein on wrong and/or have been winding from the wrong end. When I put the skein on correctly (it's a rare occurrence, but it does occasionally happen) it winds up like a dream.

That might be it. I've noticed usually the end I pull from is first on the outside, then is kinda in the middle of the bloody skein, and no matter how much re-arranging and prep I do I can't make it work properly. Honestly it was less of a problem a couple years ago when I was buying cheaper yarn... Now that I buy more hand-dyed stuff I'm having more problems winding.

On the plus side, I finished Catkin, just need to weave in some ends (there shouldn't be any, but my cats love eating yarn!) and block that mo' fo'... and add buttons, but it's wearable once it's blocked. :D

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin
A few years ago, my husband surprised me with a swift for Christmas. What makes this special is that he was in Iraq at the time AND he just happened to come across the greatest guy ever who handcrafts swifts. My husband is generally awful with picking gifts and likely ordered the first one that popped up on google search. For it to be this guy, https://www.yarnswifts.com/store/product.go?catId=1 , was the luckiest thing ever.

This guy is great. When my husband tried to pay, he had a problem with PayPal. The guy had to send my husband an email saying he was sorry, but something went wrong with his payment and the swift wouldn't be sent. My husband sent back an email asking if there was anything he could do because it was important the gift get there on time and since he was in Iraq he didn't think a check would get there in time, etc. (I guess the guy didn't take credit/debit at the time or something. It was a while ago). So the guy told my husband he'd try to think of some way to work it out and left it at that.

THE NEXT MORNING, the doorbell rang and there was the FedEx guy with an overnighted yarn swift. Inside was a handwritten note from the man who made the swift saying that he appreciated my husband's sacrifices and would like me to have this swift free of charge. I cried. It was a beautiful moment.

But about the swift! It's wonderful! Not cheaply made at all, and his wife sews the little bag to store it in when you take it apart. He even includes a square of non-skid rubber to set the swift on so it doesn't walk across your table when you use it. I realize they are expensive (he sent me the MamaBear PLUS), but it's handcrafted here in the US and the man is an absolute sweetheart. I couldn't resist the opportunity to plug his products.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

ThreeFish posted:

A few years ago, my husband surprised me with a swift for Christmas. What makes this special is that he was in Iraq at the time AND he just happened to come across the greatest guy ever who handcrafts swifts. My husband is generally awful with picking gifts and likely ordered the first one that popped up on google search. For it to be this guy, https://www.yarnswifts.com/store/product.go?catId=1 , was the luckiest thing ever.

My knitting/crochet teacher brought one of his swifts into class! It's drat nice and huge as gently caress. If I ever get a room dedicated to knitting I'm mounting one of those on the wall.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

ThreeFish posted:

THE NEXT MORNING
Holy smokes! That's a good enough endorsement for me.

Thanks again, knitting goons.

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

And some said he would just be a shell of his former self upon his return.

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

What about the Kitchener stitch? Pick up the stitches from the cast on edge and follow the video below:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/kitchener-stitch

This worked beautifully! Thank you so much!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Does anyone have a good explanation/tutorial for Latvian braids? Everything I find on the internet either blithely says "just keep it on the bottom" (not exactly explanatory) or tries to demonstrate a triple-twist following a half-gainer backflip magic loop cast-on, oh but it's shown in the flat but just pretend it's in the round. I'm going to have to reinvent it or else bite out someone's throat.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Anne Whateley posted:

Does anyone have a good explanation/tutorial for Latvian braids? Everything I find on the internet either blithely says "just keep it on the bottom" (not exactly explanatory) or tries to demonstrate a triple-twist following a half-gainer backflip magic loop cast-on, oh but it's shown in the flat but just pretend it's in the round. I'm going to have to reinvent it or else bite out someone's throat.

The only semi-understandable tutorial I found was in Knitted Socks Around the World, and even it was really confusing. They are very much easier to see than write thing.

The instructions from the book:

"beg braid with both strands in front of work. Alternate strands as foll--take colour to be k to back of work, k st, bring to front again.

rnd 1-- *k1 with cc, k1 with mc, always bringing the new yarn under the one just used. rep from *

rnd 2-- *k1 with cc, k1 with mc, always bringing the new yarn over the one just used. rep from * "

Don't bother untangling the yarns in round one--they're gonna twist around each other. When you work round 2 they untwist each since they are going the opposite way as they did the first round.

DeeZee
Jun 9, 2004
Super bumble bee
I finished some gloves!

I'm really happy with how they turned out. I just made the wristwarmers and fingers separately then sewed it all up.

Also the thumbs flip off so I don't have to take off my gloves in the cold when I have to use my phone

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

DeeZee posted:

Also the thumbs flip off so I don't have to take off my gloves in the cold when I have to use my phone

Oh my goodness. I kinda hope that it becomes a trend because I just look disdainfully at my phone when I'm wearing gloves.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The big thing now is conductive thread, like the Knitty glove pattern that just came out. But it's expensive if you buy from middlemen, I'm not convinced it works all that well, and I'm concerned it may tarnish -- not a huge deal if you're buying a pair of gloves, but definitely not okay if you've spent hours knitting them.

I worked out the Latvian braids, by the way. Five thousand times simpler than it seemed! Someone just needs to make a good basic video tutorial.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Aren't there also conductive fabrics? If you're ok with the look you could just sew patches onto your thumb and index finger. That should cover anything you might need...

Also, edited a pattern for the first time. Its kinda of a pain I had to dig through people's projects to find someone who looked up the designer's homepage, where it said "oh by the way any increases in my patterns are kfb!" Not, you know, mentioned at all on the Rav page or in the pattern itself.

DeeZee
Jun 9, 2004
Super bumble bee
I've tried gloves with conductive thread on the thumb and index finger and it didn't quite work as well is I'd have hoped, it would often just stop working partway through a swipe so it would take a few tries to unlock my phone. I'm hoping this will be less frustrating.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol
I just finished making a pair of gloves, not knit, that I was able to use my phone through like I wasn't even wearing them. Makes me ponder if it's because the fabric is thin or of it's something in the fabric itself.

*runs off to test*

drat... I thought I was onto something. It's just thin enough. :(

Conductive thread is cool but I always wondered about how reliable it is.

I saw a pair of knit gloves at Target the other day that supposedly you can use your phone with. I think I'll take a closer look at them when I'm there again.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I've been crocheting off and on for about 13 years, but I'm brand new to knitting, like taught myself last night and today new. So far I've been able to teach myself to knit and purl, but I'm really dissatisfied with the cheapo metal needles I started with. I've gone through the first 12 or so pages and the last 3 pages of this thread, but didn't want to read through all 120 pages to see if anyone has any recommendations for decent moderately priced wood needles. I think the metal is a bit too slick for me. I'm on Ravelry as Zoidyberg and some of my crocheting projects that I've actually taken pics of are up there. Thanks for the help!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I can't use anything but a metal needle, but Knitpicks does a nice wooden set, as straights, circulars, and an interchangable set. They're pretty, too!

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin
I've had the Knitpick Harmony interchangeable set for a few years now, and I have to say I love them. They are just slick enough for regular yarns (some very soft laceweights can make them seem a little too slick sometimes), the tips are pointy enough that getting into stitches isn't a pain, but not so sharp that it hurts if you are a tip pusher, and they really are pretty.

You don't have to buy the whole set- they have singles of fixed circulars, straights and double points. I have no complaints. They've served me very well.

I also bought a GIANT set of bamboo straight needles from China off of Ebay when I first started. It was like 20 bucks. They got me through when I had nothing else, and I still use them occasionally when I have too many WiPs and am out of a needle size. But they aren't very pointy and they can really grab on to yarn.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Thirding the stuff on KnitPicks needles.

I also really like the Clover bamboos as well, mostly for projects on US 4 and up.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If you're just starting, it makes more sense to buy a couple pairs and see what you like, rather than investing in a big set that might not be your thing. Personally I really like Takumi Clover bamboo needles, which are sold all over the place for not much money.

Also, I was :words:ing above about no resources for Latvian braids. Turns out they're more commonly known as vikkel braids, and if you search for that you'll find plenty of information. Oops.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Personally I'm a big fan of KA bamboo needles. With bamboo its all about what finish they are. I REALLY like KA's circs because they have a rotating join. Clover is pretty good, but whatever you do stay away from whichever ones they sell at Wal Mart. I needed a pair and they were the only place open, and they were unfinished and horrible to work with.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Haha, I am a moron. Somehow I accidentally unbookmarked this thread. I was wondering why no one was posting leading up to Christmas. Duh.

I finished my first brioche project! It's "Crossing Over", from the fall Vogue Knitting. I hated it when I saw it in the magazine but then I saw a shop sample in Green Mountain Spinnery mountain mohair, in a more tone-on-tone color pallete, and fell in love with it.

I just finished knitting it like twenty minutes ago and I did something I NEVER do, wove in the ends the second I was done and then put it on and wore it while baking Christmas cookies.

Here, have some giant pictures:

Brioche is loving AWESOME.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

Anne Whateley posted:

If you're just starting, it makes more sense to buy a couple pairs and see what you like, rather than investing in a big set that might not be your thing. Personally I really like Takumi Clover bamboo needles, which are sold all over the place for not much money.

Thanks I'm going to try a couple different materials and then eventually invest in a set that I like!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Haha, I am a moron. Somehow I accidentally unbookmarked this thread. I was wondering why no one was posting leading up to Christmas. Duh.

I finished my first brioche project! It's "Crossing Over", from the fall Vogue Knitting. I hated it when I saw it in the magazine but then I saw a shop sample in Green Mountain Spinnery mountain mohair, in a more tone-on-tone color pallete, and fell in love with it.

I just finished knitting it like twenty minutes ago and I did something I NEVER do, wove in the ends the second I was done and then put it on and wore it while baking Christmas cookies.

Here, have some giant pictures:

Brioche is loving AWESOME.

Dude, I might have to try that out now, because that looks awesome. I've given brioche a pass for so long, but you've pretty much convinced me I should do at least one thing.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

FelicityGS posted:

Dude, I might have to try that out now, because that looks awesome. I've given brioche a pass for so long, but you've pretty much convinced me I should do at least one thing.

Dooo ittt, it's so thick and cushy and squishy!

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Peppercat posted:

I've been crocheting off and on for about 13 years, but I'm brand new to knitting, like taught myself last night and today new. So far I've been able to teach myself to knit and purl, but I'm really dissatisfied with the cheapo metal needles I started with. I've gone through the first 12 or so pages and the last 3 pages of this thread, but didn't want to read through all 120 pages to see if anyone has any recommendations for decent moderately priced wood needles. I think the metal is a bit too slick for me. I'm on Ravelry as Zoidyberg and some of my crocheting projects that I've actually taken pics of are up there. Thanks for the help!

When I switched over from crochet to knitting I actually gave up on it because the metal needles gave me so much trouble. Once I tried the Clover Bamboo ones, I was hooked, pun intended.

They're decent quality, good for getting into them and seeing if they'll work for you. I honestly haven't had any problems with mine at all, but then I'm too cheap to buy KnitPicks, no matter how much I want that interchangeable set. :D

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

^^ I bought a pair of fancy-schmancy rosewood needles several years ago and I love them. I've always had my bamboo needles splinter at the tip after a while, which is really awful because the yarn gets caught just in the tiniest hint of a splinter. Maybe it's the brand I but I've had it happen to a few pairs.

I want to knit a friend of mine knee-high (to wear with a kilt) argyle socks. I showed him snow leopard yarn and got the thumbs up. Problem is I don't how to figure out how much of each colour I need - I've never ordered yarn for a specific project and never planned anything out in detail before.

I'd like to do an argyle pattern like this:

using the blue and green yarn from the snow leopard site. The site doesn't list the yarn gauge but I'll email them about it. How do I calculate how much of each colour I need? I usually don't plan things out like this, it's all very foreign to me! If I want to do an argyle pattern with two main colours for the diamonds, but a different colour for the criss-cross lines, how do I figure out what to order?

Also, I learned to doubleknit last year but I haven't done anything other than a checkered baby blanket, is it possible to do doubleknit argyle socks?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I can't speak for the colourwork at all, but looking at the patterns it suggests for the wool, I think it's worsted?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Apidae posted:

^^ I bought a pair of fancy-schmancy rosewood needles several years ago and I love them. I've always had my bamboo needles splinter at the tip after a while, which is really awful because the yarn gets caught just in the tiniest hint of a splinter. Maybe it's the brand I but I've had it happen to a few pairs.
Yeah, this is definitely a brand thing rather than just the type of wood. Bad bamboo will do this, but well-made bamboo won't. I just don't think there's any bad rosewood because it's so expensive.

quote:

I want to knit a friend of mine knee-high (to wear with a kilt) argyle socks. I showed him snow leopard yarn and got the thumbs up. Problem is I don't how to figure out how much of each colour I need - I've never ordered yarn for a specific project and never planned anything out in detail before.

I'd like to do an argyle pattern like this:

using the blue and green yarn from the snow leopard site. The site doesn't list the yarn gauge but I'll email them about it. How do I calculate how much of each colour I need? I usually don't plan things out like this, it's all very foreign to me! If I want to do an argyle pattern with two main colours for the diamonds, but a different colour for the criss-cross lines, how do I figure out what to order?

Also, I learned to doubleknit last year but I haven't done anything other than a checkered baby blanket, is it possible to do doubleknit argyle socks?
I think you'll be more successful if you go about things in a different order. If you have your heart set on argyle socks, find a pattern first (if you're not on Ravelry, you should be). The pattern will give you yardage estimates as well as instructions. Then you can find a yarn that will work with the pattern -- for example, you probably don't want worsted-weight socks, and camel may not be comfortable for wearing against the skin, and you probably want a blend with some nylon for stretch and durability.

e: Just to give you an idea, if you go on Ravelry, you can search for argyle socks that are either men's or unisex, and you get 56 choices. Or you can search for argyle socks that are knee-high or mid-calf, and get 69 matches. Or you can search for kilt hose and get 41 hits. And you can pare it down by availability, price, whatever -- Ravelry has a really robust and awesome search.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 15, 2011

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

I went poking around on Ravelry last night, thanks! I feel really :downs: now because it hadn't occurred to me to look for a pattern for yardage estimates.

I've knit with the camel before and it's actually really lovely and soft, and my friend is kind of set on super thick manlyman socks. BUT I do agree it's not ideal for your typical socks. I'm also going to look around my local shops some to see what they have.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Apidae posted:

I went poking around on Ravelry last night, thanks! I feel really :downs: now because it hadn't occurred to me to look for a pattern for yardage estimates.

I've knit with the camel before and it's actually really lovely and soft, and my friend is kind of set on super thick manlyman socks. BUT I do agree it's not ideal for your typical socks. I'm also going to look around my local shops some to see what they have.

Are you sure he knows just how thick worsted weight would be? Most commercial socks are super thin, even handknit socks on light fingering weight are thicker than that. maybe swatch something and have him put it in his shoe to see how it feels?

I have never knit with camel! I love camels though, they're so sarcastic looking.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Apidae posted:

I had someone give me a pair of rosewood ones in a swap I did forever ago, but they're a size 10 and I rarely knit anything that large so I haven't even used them.

I haven't had any split on me but the set of bamboo circulars that I've knit like 12 Harry Potter scarves on are actually getting flat on one edge. I've worn them down apparently.

That argyle is gorgeous. Good luck with the socks. I've got second sock syndrome in the worst way. I can never make myself knit the second one. Same thing for gloves. I had one done and gave up. I finally frogged the first glove a few weeks ago. I was never going to make it's mate. :D

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

I've never actually knit two matching socks, last year I made my Dad a pair but with the main colour/stripes reversed on the second sock. It really helped keep me from being bored :D

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Are you sure he knows just how thick worsted weight would be? Most commercial socks are super thin, even handknit socks on light fingering weight are thicker than that. maybe swatch something and have him put it in his shoe to see how it feels?

I have never knit with camel! I love camels though, they're so sarcastic looking.

I found a more appropriate sock yarn and sent him the link. He currently lives a few provinces away and I think he's moving soon so it'd take a while to get swatches sent out to him and get his thoughts.

You should try out the camel wool - you'll be helping snow leopard conservation!

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

:sigh: Shoulder doesn't match up and I should've seen the problem coming. I think it's an error with the pattern although no one who's done this pattern has complained about it.

The solution is fairly easy but requires frogging :suicide:

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Frost Hat in tosh chunky Mica. I love all the patterns this woman has made.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Sodium Chloride posted:

:sigh: Shoulder doesn't match up and I should've seen the problem coming. I think it's an error with the pattern although no one who's done this pattern has complained about it.

The solution is fairly easy but requires frogging :suicide:

Not to imply anything, but are you sure you have the "right sides" facing out on both of those pieces?

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
So I'm making a whole fleet of felted slippers for Christmas presents for my lady-relatives. They're all knit up, and I'm at the felting stage. Now, this is my first time at the felting rodeo, so I'm totally at a loss in terms of what I'm doing. I followed the directions, and they have felted down to the right size and gotten all thick and undifferentiated, but they're oddly... hairy.

What am I doing wrong? The only thing that I can think of off the top of my head is that they kept escaping from their pillowcases during the wash... could that be it? Do they just need more time felting? and if so, is there any way to stretch them out so they don't end up way too small afterwards?

Or can I just give them a shave or something?

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Micomicona posted:

So I'm making a whole fleet of felted slippers for Christmas presents for my lady-relatives. They're all knit up, and I'm at the felting stage. Now, this is my first time at the felting rodeo, so I'm totally at a loss in terms of what I'm doing. I followed the directions, and they have felted down to the right size and gotten all thick and undifferentiated, but they're oddly... hairy.

What am I doing wrong? The only thing that I can think of off the top of my head is that they kept escaping from their pillowcases during the wash... could that be it? Do they just need more time felting? and if so, is there any way to stretch them out so they don't end up way too small afterwards?

Or can I just give them a shave or something?
Stuff always comes out a bit hairy. It will flatten down with wear, or you can shave them with a sweater shaver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Amykinz posted:

Not to imply anything, but are you sure you have the "right sides" facing out on both of those pieces?

It is the right side. The pattern is a 3 by 2 rib so the divide for the back and front should be between the two purl stitches (the smallest size does this).