Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Where are you getting this from, anyway? It doesn't seem to be on the main site, his tumblr or his twitter...

e: "this" means "Hussie moving house". Stupid new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!
http://softowl.tumblr.com/

Girlfriendblog

e: I feel kinda bad about how she seems to be some sort of PR for the comic or something, trying to ease frayed nerves and frustrations about merchandising or whatever. Like her boyfriend's job/creation has consumed her life too. Oh well.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

There is no middle ground between amazing Homestuck fanart and terrible Homestuck fanart. The dichotomy between the Quest videos and Promstuck is just further proof.

Also now I need Taco Bell for lunch.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Edit - weird double post

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Citizen Rat posted:

I never really got why people would want to just go harass the dude (or whatever it is that crazed fans want to do). The guy is almost a professional troll at this point, the likelihood that you are going to come out on top of any interaction with him is slim to none. So why bother?

You cannot hope to beat Andrew Hussie in a troll-off. He is simply the best there is.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
The post in question was made the morning after the GPS fiasco. That'd be a pretty drat fast reaction on both Hussie's and any potential stalker's part.

Commutator
Jul 17, 2009
More Promstuck bullshit: I couldn't not laugh at this. Sure I felt bad about it but there it is.

=>GET SWEATY WITH TEAM MEOWRAIL. NEXT TO THEM, YOU MIGHT LOOK GOOD!

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Starmaker posted:

http://softowl.tumblr.com/

Girlfriendblog

e: I feel kinda bad about how she seems to be some sort of PR for the comic or something, trying to ease frayed nerves and frustrations about merchandising or whatever. Like her boyfriend's job/creation has consumed her life too. Oh well.
Whaddya mean girlfriendblog, is she dating AH?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Whaddya mean girlfriendblog, is she dating AH?

Yes, he has a girlfriend living with him. And people went loving nuts stalking her when they found out.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Promstuck is actually pretty funny once you get past the whole 'alternate universe where everyone goes to school together!!' fanfic nonsense. It's relatively self-aware with it's shipper BS and is honestly rather decent characterization-wise (aside from the shipping stuff obviously). I enjoyed it more than the Highbloods thing anyway, but that could just be because anything with the music from Brodyquest that isn't Brodyquest feels weird to me. Anyway, it helps if you read it less in the context of 'this is a fan adventure of Homestuck' and more 'this is a fan adventure of what the fanbase thinks Homestuck canon is/should be'.

Also, moving again? Sheesh, poor guy. I'm hoping it was for unrelated reasons to the fanbase, but considering the way his ladyfriend announced it... :v: Seems unlikely. Hell, I didn't even know finding GPS coordinates through video was possible. Make that one more educational/potentially horrifying thing I have learned via fandom!

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Well, if Andrew is moving again, then it looks like another John death is drawing near! Maybe another computer breaking on him as well.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

MrBims posted:

Yes, he has a girlfriend living with him. And people went loving nuts stalking her when they found out.

And I still feel weird and guilty and kind of dirty every time somebody mentions her in this thread, despite not personally having much to do with said stalkery poo poo. It's like, it's one thing to want to know a bit about the thought processes of the author of a work I like in order to gain more insight on the work itself, but when people start talking about inane life facts and/or other people who have little creative influence on the work (even if they contribute a lot to the work as a whole) it feels like a step too far towards creepy fan poo poo, of the type where I feel like I'm implicitly OKing it by not speaking up and telling people to cut it the gently caress out.

Which might constitute backseat moderation I guess, but goddamn I am sick of this thread getting creepy and weird, even if it's only rarely.

e/ vv I didn't mean to imply it was anything in this thread that caused lame username to leave, but whether it was or not, I still feel like talking/asking about details of an author's life or other people in it which are not really related to the reason we're all here is fundamentally weird. Especially if the person being talked about can show up and participate in the discussion, double especially if that person was previously referred to by some posters in a very detached way as if they were an object rather than a person. (both of these things happened in this thread)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 16, 2011

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I don't really remember this thread getting too creepy over her -- when she eventually left it was over FYAD being horrible about something, as I recall. It is of course extremely possible that I'm blocking something out.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Mr. Lobe posted:

Is he really moving out of fear of his fans?

At this point Hussie should just enter the witness protection program.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Renaissance Robot posted:

And I still feel weird and guilty and kind of dirty every time somebody mentions her in this thread, despite not personally having much to do with said stalkery poo poo. It's like, it's one thing to want to know a bit about the thought processes of the author of a work I like in order to gain more insight on the work itself, but when people start talking about inane life facts and/or other people who have little creative influence on the work (even if they contribute a lot to the work as a whole) it feels like a step too far towards creepy fan poo poo, of the type where I feel like I'm implicitly OKing it by not speaking up and telling people to cut it the gently caress out.

Which might constitute backseat moderation I guess, but goddamn I am sick of this thread getting creepy and weird, even if it's only rarely.

e/ vv I didn't mean to imply it was anything in this thread that caused lame username to leave, but whether it was or not, I still feel like talking/asking about details of an author's life or other people in it which are not really related to the reason we're all here is fundamentally weird. Especially if the person being talked about can show up and participate in the discussion, double especially if that person was previously referred to by some posters in a very detached way as if they were an object rather than a person. (both of these things happened in this thread)

I actually only found out about her blog very recently, from this thread, and began following it because she's actually kinda interesting? There's some stuff in there about Homestuck that's pretty neat, and it seems like a lot of things get released there earlier than Hussie's own blog. I guess I missed all the creepy stuff and just assumed this blog was part of the Homestuck gestalt and wouldn't be too weird or creepy to mention.

I'm sorry though? I understand your feelings, and kinda feel that way myself (like I said it seems like her life has been engulfed by the comic and that's really unfortunate), but I guess I just figured everyone here would be pretty cool and not weird and stalkerish. I've learned about a bunch of blogs from this thread and have been following them, I guess I didn't think it was that weird hers was one of them. I only mentioned it because of the moving thing... and I was also curious if that was due to the fan stalking, too. Because that would seriously suck for them.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I was under the impression from past blog posts/news posts that Hussie moves pretty regularly, so I doubt it's related to fan stalking.

Or maybe he keeps moving so they can't find him. :tinfoil:

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Boneless Jogger posted:

Well, if Andrew is moving again, then it looks like another John death is drawing near! Maybe another computer breaking on him as well.

Through the magic of Paradox Space, it turns out John IS his computer.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Renaissance Robot posted:

What? I was just curious. It's nice that AH has a girlfriend, he's a cool dude.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Plom Bar posted:

Promstuck failed the seven-second test, I remain adamant that it is garbage. :colbert:
the thing has zero grasp on how actual people work, but at least the art is good and the writing style is heavily modeled after homestuck? I couldn't make it very far either.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

snucks posted:

the thing has zero grasp on how actual people work

It does, however, seem to have an impeccable grasp on how the Homestuck characters work.

Which I guess is pretty appropriate because most of their personalities couldn't touch reality with a long pole.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

What? I was just curious. It's nice that AH has a girlfriend, he's a cool dude.

That's fair enough, honestly I'm not entirely sure where all that stuff I typed came from. (Not that I take any of it back, just that I wasn't aware I felt that way until just now.) Certainly it wasn't a direct response to anything anyone said recently, more a holdover from how I felt the last time it came up when I wasn't in a position to articulate it.

Starmaker stated my actual beef more succinctly anyway, which is pretty much that it sucks that Softowl's life has sort of been taken over by Homestuck, and I feel bad about the way that manifested here. Seems like I've got some stuff to think about anyway, so

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Oxxidation posted:

It does, however, seem to have an impeccable grasp on how the Homestuck characters work.

Which I guess is pretty appropriate because most of their personalities couldn't touch reality with a long pole.

Yeah, I think the charming thing about Promstuck is that it takes the not-at-all-realistic but highly individualized personalities of the Homestuck characters and places them in a sendup of/homage to the not-at-all-realistic conventions of emotionally overwrought teen romantic comedy movies.

On actual Homestuckchat: all the Green Sun characters are in fact evil, next update will be Jade saying "Of course you can ask them... BECAUSE THEY'RE ALREADY HERE" and Dave takes off his glasses to reveal rapidly alternating billiard balls and no wait that would be stupid.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Promstuck is a spinoff or direct sequel to Marchingstuck (A link to which I can't actually find), in which everyone is shoved into a high school marching band. Kanaya becomes a rainbow drinker because she's impaled on a flag by Eridian in a tragic color guard accident, so they're both definitely parodies of overwrought teen stuff.
I love that a parody generic Mary Sue fantroll becomes the prom queen.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

I am reading this now and, to be honest, it's super adorable and has some very funny writing in places. I like it!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

What is it about MSPA that lets its fandom keep producing stuff we SHOULD hate on principle but just can't?

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

loquacius posted:

What is it about MSPA that lets its fandom keep producing stuff we SHOULD hate on principle but just can't?

I guess it stays true to its source material v:v:v

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

loquacius posted:

I think its because a good chunk of the fandom doesn't take itself very seriously.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Does this mean we should go looking on tumblr and AO3 until we do find some unequivocally lovely homestuck fanfiction that we can all unanimously hate? :v:

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
If you want a good belly laugh at the fandom's expense go to ib.skaia.net and do a search for "sadstuck." The DeviantArt crowd has this fixation for crying Homestuck characters cradling each other while they bleed out from gut wounds. It's supposed to evoke pathos, but the sheer volume of this kind of art just makes for comedy instead.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Snollygoster posted:

If you want a good belly laugh at the fandom's expense go to ib.skaia.net and do a search for "sadstuck." The DeviantArt crowd has this fixation for crying Homestuck characters cradling each other while they bleed out from gut wounds. It's supposed to evoke pathos, but the sheer volume of this kind of art just makes for comedy instead.

Kind of like women laughing alone with salad where a single instance goes unnoticed but when you group them together like that it gets weird.

now im imagining a big ol' empty hallway wallpapered in a thousand daves cryin in the rain

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Snollygoster posted:

Oh deviantart, never stop being horrible.:allears:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

YES bread posted:

Kind of like women laughing alone with salad where a single instance goes unnoticed but when you group them together like that it gets weird.

now im imagining a big ol' empty hallway wallpapered in a thousand daves cryin in the rain

At first I couldn't figure out what was supposed to be so funny about this.

Then I started scrolling down, and suddenly I couldn't breathe.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Looks like the project wonderful banner ads are getting weird* again:

*-er than usual

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

YES bread posted:

A thousand Davesprites I'm sure you meant to say.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

TheRagamuffin posted:

*-er than usual

So do they want us to be aroused by the sandwhich? Because :wtc: am I even looking at.

Edit: Actually following the link took me here. I think he's actually advertised on the site before but it's been awhile since iv'e seen his poo poo.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 17, 2011

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

TheRagamuffin posted:

*-er than usual

This is wonderful.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Dr Christmas posted:

Promstuck is a spinoff or direct sequel to Marchingstuck (A link to which I can't actually find), in which everyone is shoved into a high school marching band. Kanaya becomes a rainbow drinker because she's impaled on a flag by Eridian in a tragic color guard accident, so they're both definitely parodies of overwrought teen stuff.
I love that a parody generic Mary Sue fantroll becomes the prom queen.

Promstuck is also, as far as I know, finished, and they've started work on some superhero parody (Herobound)

Which, though it's pretty new of yet, features stuff like:

quote:

Typheus, 8etty Crocker is not real.

i know what i saw. it was five years ago, and i was patrolling late. the sunset coated everything in a terrible haze like old yogurt. i saw oily stains on the ground, then crumbs. after the crumbs came the cake. cake doesn’t sound very intimidating, right? but not so fast! you don’t even know the things i saw her do with cake.

Also, "sadstuck" art is indeed pretty ridiculous.

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 17, 2011

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

dumb brunette posted:

(Herobound)

loving SOLD

Also that right there is pretty much the answer to any "why don't we hate this" type questions, it's blatantly ridiculous and everyone knows it.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Mr. Lobe posted:

Is he really moving out of fear of his fans?

I don't know anything about what's been going on, but I know if I were in his position and the GPS coordinates to the place where I lay my head down to sleep were up on the internet I'd pick up stakes and go elsewhere. It only takes one crazy person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkmnfrk
Dec 24, 2010

Chester Hjorvarth
Victorious this day
3-7-2011
You guys are aware that home addresses are not private information, right? I mean, sure it's creepy to extract GPS data from pictures, but it's not like this is the only place you could get this information. For example, try looking up a phone number in a phone book -- it'll probably have an address listed right next to it.

Sure, there's probably more than one A. HUSSIE in his city (well, maybe not with that name. But let's pretend there is). But, if you're crazy and local enough to stalk him, then you're probably crazy and local enough to check each listing personally until you find the right one.