Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, I posted the wrong number. I did the math for several thicknesses of ice, and accidentally posted 2 inches (which would use closer to 20,000 gallons at NHL size).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation
And this is why you wait for the ground to freeze and for there to be snow. I can't even begin to understand how much water that is, it's crazy.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

xzzy posted:

Does anyone around here use a do-rag or a skull cap or something to keep sweat out of their eyes? I'm curious what people have found that works under a hockey helmet.

Usually I don't have a problem with it, but it seemed like every time I went back to the bench tonight my eyes were burning. I wear both a cage and glasses, so it's a huge pain in the rear end to unfasten everything to dry off with a towel.

+1 for a bandanna. Works well for me, cheaper than an UnderArmor skully, and comes in a wide array of colors and patterns as long as you like paisley.

Also, if you can tolerate it, consider switching from glasses to contacts at least for playing, if not in your daily life. I finally made the jump to contacts after skating for a year in glasses and I can't tell you how much better I can see the ice now. I still wear my glasses for daily stuff, but I can't imagine skating without contacts anymore.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
Found this on my closet today :buddy:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

+1 for a bandanna. Works well for me, cheaper than an UnderArmor skully, and comes in a wide array of colors and patterns as long as you like paisley.

Also, if you can tolerate it, consider switching from glasses to contacts at least for playing, if not in your daily life. I finally made the jump to contacts after skating for a year in glasses and I can't tell you how much better I can see the ice now. I still wear my glasses for daily stuff, but I can't imagine skating without contacts anymore.

Contacts aren't an option for me, I have some retinal scarring from damage caused by contacts in high school, every time I go to an eye doctor he starts the appointment asking why I don't wear contacts, does the exam, and about halfway through is all "oh yeah you shouldn't wear contacts." :eng99:

I did consider getting some sports goggles at one point, but decided I'm content wearing glasses. I use anti-fog every week which keeps them dry while skating, and my helmet does a good job preventing them from moving around. So I really don't have any issues except for the amount of time it takes to un-equip and get the sweat out of my eyes.

I'll get a cheap bandana and see how that works.. I'll look like an idiot but I already look like a doofus on the ice so no change there.

vvv er, yeah, cornea.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 17, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

xzzy posted:

Contacts aren't an option for me, I have some retinal scarring from damage caused by contacts in high school, every time I go to an eye doctor he starts the appointment asking why I don't wear contacts, does the exam, and about halfway through is all "oh yeah you shouldn't wear contacts." :eng99:

You mean corneal scarring? I'm trying to wrap my head around how contact lenses could scar the retina and I got nothing.

If it is corneal scarring, scleral lenses don't rest on the cornea so could possibly be something you could look into. I have to wear them due to an eye condition (glasses, soft contacts or regular corneal hard lenses are not an option) and I have to say, once I got over the whole "I'm going to have to suction cup that freaky huge thing out of my eye :eek:" thing, they're super comfortable and help out a lot!

SecretSquirrel
Jun 3, 2003

Masticator

Man, I would have shanked someone for a fire hydrant to steal water from to fill our little 15'x30' ice rink. We had to dip water out of a little crick into two 20 gallon totes on a tractor. Worst part is that we just had two warm days in a row setting back actually using it by at least a week.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Just went and tried on some new skates. Going to end up with the bauer vapor x4s and some easton eq 30 pants. It's nice to know someone at a hockey shop, got the skates at cost ($100) and the pants for 40% off.

I tried on both the X3 ltd and the X4 and the difference was big even though the price was like $30 difference. Felt some lace bite areas on the tongue of the 3 not to mention the tongue was pretty flimsy comparatively. Over the years I've realized my skates get smaller. Originally I was wearing a 10, then 9, now I'm down to 8.5. After realizing how skates stretch over time, I feel like they will settle into the sweet spot.

I never realized my left foot is that much longer than my right. Luckily the shop is going to stretch it out a quarter to a third of a size and then bake em. I'm pretty excited but now I need to focus on playing more ice.

Verman fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 18, 2011

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
Anyone else shoot right(left) and are right(left) handed? I've been considering switching to a lefty stick because I feel like I'm trying to do everything with my right hand which is low so its like I'm skating around with a mini stick since my left hand at the top isn't really doing much (might explain why I'm a terrible shot). Thoughts?

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

lizardking posted:

Anyone else shoot right(left) and are right(left) handed? I've been considering switching to a lefty stick because I feel like I'm trying to do everything with my right hand which is low so its like I'm skating around with a mini stick since my left hand at the top isn't really doing much (might explain why I'm a terrible shot). Thoughts?

If you're just starting out and have a chance to switch to dominant hand high, I say do it. It will allow you much more control in the long run. That top hand is the source of most of your handling. The fact that I learned play with my weak hand on top is a primary factor in my hands of bricks.

Your shot power will take a minor hit, but that's a small price to pay for much better control.

[Edit:] see this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/16/sports/olympics/16lefty.html My own theory on the discrepancy is that Americans are enculturated into baseball, and so if they swing right they pick up right handed sticks. To anyone who's played tennis, though, that would be counterintuitive.

Green Submarine fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 18, 2011

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

lizardking posted:

I'm a righty and shoot right and I bet a bunch of other people are too. I think it does hurt my stick handling but I feel like my shot is better than it would be otherwise and I'm stronger on the stick in terms of stick lifts and stuff. I've been practicing on dry land with one of those wood stick-handling balls and concentrating on controlling with my top (left) hand, that seems to be helping some.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

Green Submarine posted:

If you're just starting out and have a chance to switch to dominant hand high, I say do it. It will allow you much more control in the long run. That top hand is the source of most of your handling contro. The fact that I learned play with my weak hand on top is a primary factor in my hands of bricks.

Your shot power will take a minor hit, but that's a small price to pay for much better control.

I've been playing for two years but honestly other than the slight awkwardness handling the puck to my left side and behind I feel like I have some more control with the puck. I've mostly compensated by being fast and setting up other people for shots but it would be nice to get some goals of my own that aren't garbage tap-ins. The whole broom thing that shows up on google is useless 'cus I put either hand at the top depending on my mood. Guess I'll just have to try it in a never-ever game in January since I know I don't want to make the switch in playoffs tomorrow haha.

Edit: both ways feel fine. Maybe I'm just doomed to have a lovely shot haha.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thufir posted:

I've been practicing on dry land with one of those wood stick-handling balls and concentrating on controlling with my top (left) hand, that seems to be helping some.

It will, your non-dominant is technically just as agile as your dominant hand, it's just a question of getting your brain to realize that.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

lizardking posted:

Edit: both ways feel fine. Maybe I'm just doomed to have a lovely shot haha.

Take a video of yourself taking some shots and let the thread diagnose you. There's no reason your shot can't get better with some practice if you're doing everything right.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I'm a lefty who shoots left. My brother is a righty who shoots right. I have never thought about it, I think it's just getting used to whichever. Probably harder to as an adult, though, I assume.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I'm a southpaw that shoots right. It always felt much more natural than shooting left. Imagine you're poke-checking or sweep-checking someone. Would you really want to do that with your off hand?

I also sweep right and shovel right. Bat left.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
In my opinion it doesn't really matter as long as you work on your stick handling or that's the excuse I'm going with since I'm right handed and shoot right. If your right handed and shot right then just practice stick handling more often (with only your top hand, don't use your bottom hand) to make up for your weaker hand being on top.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I'm right handed and have always used a righty stick. I'm so used to it now that my left hand has developed the strength and finesse from practice. Basically just get comfortable and your strength and finesse will develop with practice

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Zettace posted:

In my opinion it doesn't really matter as long as you work on your stick handling or that's the excuse I'm going with since I'm right handed and shoot right. If your right handed and shot right then just practice stick handling more often (with only your top hand, don't use your bottom hand) to make up for your weaker hand being on top.

This is true as far as I'm concerned. The argument that your stickhandling or shot or whatever suffer or improve depending on which hand is on top falls flat in light of the fact that there are plenty of players at pro and amateur levels that prove the exception - to the point that there are so many exceptions that you may as well not have a rule. Ultimately it's all a matter of comfort and acclimation, so odds are that switching sides at this point would not benefit you.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I'll just leave this here

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
So..

My friend plays on my teams because he wants to play with his friends, he is good and is our leading scoring and in top 3 in the league. He is a ringer in the sense that he scores a lot but its not like he is noticeably a million times better than other players on our team. He should be playing 2-3 leagues above where we are, its not like he is an A league player by any means.. He is just a really smart player and skater is able to take advantage over weaker players.

Because of this he takes a lot of beatings on the ice.. he is constantly hooked, slashed, tripped, hit etc.. well last night a ref told him that he sees people commenting penalties against him and doesn't call them because he is "playing down". Should we ignore this or take it to the league director ?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

Because of this he takes a lot of beatings on the ice.. he is constantly hooked, slashed, tripped, hit etc.. well last night a ref told him that he sees people commenting penalties against him and doesn't call them because he is "playing down". Should we ignore this or take it to the league director ?

If you talk to Tyler, he might kick your friend out of that league. He doesn't police the higher leagues like he does the lower leagues. Is this Derek Zero? That guy is playing way down, should be up in the C or possibly B leagues.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

poser posted:

So..

My friend plays on my teams because he wants to play with his friends, he is good and is our leading scoring and in top 3 in the league. He is a ringer in the sense that he scores a lot but its not like he is noticeably a million times better than other players on our team. He should be playing 2-3 leagues above where we are, its not like he is an A league player by any means.. He is just a really smart player and skater is able to take advantage over weaker players.

I mean, what do you want to get out of it? If the ref is already biased against your friend I don't think getting the ref in trouble with the league director will make him more likely to make calls in your friend's favor.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why is your friend leading scoring if he's playing down? Does he have 98% assists in those points?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

2-3 leagues down sounds pretty absurd IMO. I understand playing with friends, but it's just plain not fun playing against someone like that.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Yeah, if the dude is playing multiple leagues down and leading in scoring, he's not going to get much sympathy from the refs.

If a dude's gonna play in a division way below his level in a beer league because he wants to play with friends, dude should basically be back on defense playing easy and feeding the puck to players who are playing at the proper level. If he's good enough that he IS playing easy and still leading in scoring, he definitely should not be in that league. Penalties are judgement calls, you know?

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 18, 2011

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Yeah, if the dude is playing multiple leagues down and leading in scoring, he's not going to get much sympathy from the refs.

If a dude's gonna play in a division way below his level in a beer league because he wants to play with friends, dude should basically be back on defense playing easy and feeding the puck to players who are playing at the proper level. If he's good enough that he IS playing easy and still leading in scoring, he definitely should not be in that league. Penalties are judgement calls, you know?

Pretty much this.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.
Argument against switching stick hands: If you play other sports, you are already used to the way you torque the rest of your body for a right-handed shot if you're a righty. Switching to lefty reverses all those motions. This will also make it more difficult to learn to protect the puck.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you're even remotely considering changing hands something tells me you're not used to much.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

http://deadspin.com/5868584/how-a-senior-league-hockey-fight-ended-with-one-player-pooping-in-an-opponents-glove

quote:

"PLAYER KICKED OUT OF LEAGUE FOR DEFECATING IN OPPONENT'S GLOVE FOLLOWING A FIGHT ON THE ICE."

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

This was briefly mentioned after it happened in the N/V thread but there were no details at the time (probably for the better) and I even used it as GDT title.

I think I am glad you posted it so we can all hear the happy ending:

"In their first game following the incident, Rogue Squadron passed the hat in the locker room to buy Bermingham a gift card for a sporting goods store. They heard he needed new gloves."

:allears: Hockey

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

d-league.txt

:ughh:

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

Just bought my first pair of ice skates after not skating for 10+ years. This poo poo is going to be fun.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I love videos like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiBv1c3nOLw

Does anyone know of anyone else out there doing stuff like this?

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

xzzy posted:

I love videos like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiBv1c3nOLw

Does anyone know of anyone else out there doing stuff like this?

I think hockey2hockey does a couple of breakdown videos but he hasn't really posted anything recently it seems

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Not chalk-talk, but more super sweet pro hockey trap defense here, or "You know who plays the trap? Assholes. That's who."

(Yes, yes...this doesn't really apply on the PK).

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 19, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Go to the rink on my lunch break to sneak in some easy skating for a low level workout, and I forgot school was out and there's a zillion kids on the ice. :argh:

On Mondays I usually have the rink to myself.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Since some folks are looking for more hockey strategy/tactics videos, I can't recommend Kevin Constantine's Total Hockey series enough. It's six volumes (you can buy 'em seperately) and he uses NHL footage to re-enforce his instruction.

The offensive and defensive tactics CD's are really good for individual players, and the offensive systems CD helps with getting a beter understanding of team strategy i.e. "Where the gently caress am I supposed to be on this play?"

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

If you talk to Tyler, he might kick your friend out of that league. He doesn't police the higher leagues like he does the lower leagues. Is this Derek Zero? That guy is playing way down, should be up in the C or possibly B leagues.

It's my friend on the team I run in DD.

Derek Zero has no freaking shot man.. he should be lighting up that league...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

2-3 leagues down sounds pretty absurd IMO. I understand playing with friends, but it's just plain not fun playing against someone like that.

We have 16 leagues so 2-3 down is not as bad as it seems.

Topoisomerase posted:

Its not way below, if you look at all the ringers in the league he is probably the worst one. He should be playing somewhere in the lower C levels while other teams have dudes from the A/B leagues. There are players in our league that can dominate a game and win the game on their own and he no where near there level. As an example we have lost games 7-4 before where one guy scored or assisted on every goal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I'm going to be in Virginia next week and I was thinking of taking my hockey stuff and hitting up a drop-in at some point. Anybody have any input on rinks in Fairfax or down in Richmond? I'm sure open sessions will be crazy the holiday week.