Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Travis343 posted:

By making special girl legos and saying "THIS IS FOR GIRLS" they are effectively sending the message that every other Lego set is for boys. I'm sure they don't mean it to but that's how parents shop, they grab a pink box for the girls and whatever else becomes defaulted to boys.

This is why when I do my toy drive shopping, I grab a shitload of sock monkeys and lego. The Spongebob sets seem perfect for appealing to most children. That and I got some City Harbour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testro
May 2, 2009

GidgetNomates posted:

With regards to that thing about Minecraft Lego sets, does anyone else feel like there's not much of a point? Most of Minecraft can be done with just...regular bricks. Just regular colored blocks, I don't really see what there is about it that would be special enough to license a set for. Like, if they released a Minecraft village or something like that, wouldn't it just be a collection of square bricks? I don't play Minecraft but I've seen quite a few videos of it and it seems like making a licensed set of a game made out of voxels would be a waste.

I feel a bit the same with regards to this - but I think what's interested Lego is that the community of Minecraft have been motivated enough to en masse vote (and rapidly)...so if they can sell Lego to Minecraft fans because it's under a Minecraft umbrella, they might convert a percentage of those Minecraft fans into Lego fans.

Monsterw21faces' link is depressing - the whole reason why Lego fails with girls is written there very clearly...they don't want necklaces (Scala), they don't want lack of detail (Paradisa), they don't want a focus on accessories (Belville), they don't need more dolls (Scala Dolls) and they don't want jewellery (Clikits). A few female AFOLs have said it more than once - what girls want is to be put into the standard themes. More female minifigs - why can't they have female police officers, female firefighters, female criminals etc ...and a swerve away from confrontation would be appreciated. But apparently, female AFOLs know nothing because they're already unconventional for liking Lego in the first place(!)

I went into Hamleys a while ago and the fourth floor is a place I avoid - the other floors are a range of colours and hobbies..and the fourth floor is just an explosion of pink. I felt suffocated by pink as a kid. I like it as a colour now, but when I was a child, I hated it because everything you were given was smothered in it.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Testro posted:

I feel a bit the same with regards to this - but I think what's interested Lego is that the community of Minecraft have been motivated enough to en masse vote (and rapidly)...so if they can sell Lego to Minecraft fans because it's under a Minecraft umbrella, they might convert a percentage of those Minecraft fans into Lego fans.

Monsterw21faces' link is depressing - the whole reason why Lego fails with girls is written there very clearly...they don't want necklaces (Scala), they don't want lack of detail (Paradisa), they don't want a focus on accessories (Belville), they don't need more dolls (Scala Dolls) and they don't want jewellery (Clikits). A few female AFOLs have said it more than once - what girls want is to be put into the standard themes. More female minifigs - why can't they have female police officers, female firefighters, female criminals etc ...and a swerve away from confrontation would be appreciated. But apparently, female AFOLs know nothing because they're already unconventional for liking Lego in the first place(!)

I went into Hamleys a while ago and the fourth floor is a place I avoid - the other floors are a range of colours and hobbies..and the fourth floor is just an explosion of pink. I felt suffocated by pink as a kid. I like it as a colour now, but when I was a child, I hated it because everything you were given was smothered in it.

My 7 year old daughter loves LEGO. She doesn't pick out sets based on colors or brick types. All she cares about is which sets have girls in them. That's it.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Mister_Eel posted:

My 7 year old daughter loves LEGO. She doesn't pick out sets based on colors or brick types. All she cares about is which sets have girls in them. That's it.

Ive always been shocked they didn't do some sort of LEGO Zoo line. Zoo enclosures lend themselves perfectly to being standalone sets, but can also be integrated into a larger modular theme, everyone digs animals, and so long as the sets are diverse you have equal appeal to boy + girls (of all ages, some LEGO tigers please).

An amusement park theme could also have the same appeal, and both lines would work well together giving people a bit of that "Oh god I have to buy everything and put it all together into a mega thing" drive that some of the modern and licensed sets are missing.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Testro posted:

what girls want is to be put into the standard themes. More female minifigs - why can't they have female police officers, female firefighters, female criminals etc

Well, it does look like the upcoming city sets have more female police officers than previous release have, but it's still precious few.
I do like the idea of female villains, has that ever been done in LEGO?

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.
My nine year old daughter is completely addicted to the city collection and she's repurposed my 80's era space sets into a cityscape that covers a 6X2 coffe table and the floor underneath it.

She likes the alien invasion, kingdom, and dino attack sets too, she just is partial to the city stuff. She's started to covet and ipod touch though, so I'm starting to worry that the lego's are going to get put away until my two year old boy gets a bit further along.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Flavor Bear posted:

Well, it does look like the upcoming city sets have more female police officers than previous release have, but it's still precious few.
I do like the idea of female villains, has that ever been done in LEGO?

The witch in some of the old Castle lines? I feel sure that there was a sort of villainous corrupt businesswoman type in one of the Indiana Jones alike adventure themes as well.

They should have had a female main explorer character/minifig in that jungle setting adventure theme from a few years ago. You know a pith helmet, revolver, some dynamite and an awesome car. Maybe a snooty old British manservant minifig as well with an elephant gun.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I can't recall (m)any female villains...there were two female pirates, as I recall. Someone made a list on Eurobricks of which sets had female minifigures in and there was a lean towards females being princesses, queens, maids or relations (e.g. Blacksmith's Wife) etc. Even in the recent Imperial Flagship, the female was the Governor's Daughter - so a relative of a male, rather than someone interesting in her own right.

I know it's probably not realistic to have female blacksmiths in Castle sets, but that's what's depressing as a female building Lego - maybe it doesn't have to be 100% historically accurate...maybe it would be nice to have a female knight or jester etc. All it does is reinforce the current stereotypes - women can look after the kids, or clean.

I find that girls don't build with Lego so much a bit baffling; if the line was drawn with Technic, I could understand it more. I like what Technic can do, but building diggers didn't excite me when I was younger, whereas my brother adored it. I was always into setting up a scene - doing the build and then placing the figures strategically to tell a story.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

wernox posted:

My nine year old daughter is completely addicted to the city collection and she's repurposed my 80's era space sets into a cityscape that covers a 6X2 coffe table and the floor underneath it.

She likes the alien invasion, kingdom, and dino attack sets too, she just is partial to the city stuff. She's started to covet and ipod touch though, so I'm starting to worry that the lego's are going to get put away until my two year old boy gets a bit further along.

Yeah we all have our dark ages. Mine was from middle school up until half way through college.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
I reluctantly gave away my LEGO when I was 13 because my brother had convinced me I would never get laid if I was a teenager into LEGO.
Joke's on all of us because I didn't get laid as a teenager anyway.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

Evek posted:

Yeah we all have our dark ages. Mine was from middle school up until half way through college.

My grandmother's gave me legos every year for Christmas, even into my 20's, but they had all passed by '94 and the lego's got put away until my oldest kid was about 7.....its been a great couple of years.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Testro posted:

I can't recall (m)any female villains...

There's a couple of female villains in the Agents 2.0 line!

Claw-Dette:

Dyna-Mite:

Dyna-Mite looks like she's having a blast being evil, too. :)

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Anyone taking bets on the fantasy castle line being a way to test some new figures for the LOTR sets? I figure they would want to get more use from those troll molds.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Anyone taking bets on the fantasy castle line being a way to test some new figures for the LOTR sets? I figure they would want to get more use from those troll molds.

Well, we've had trolls, goblins, dwarves and, thanks to the collectible figures, elves, so it's true all the bases have already been covered. I could use more variety in my dwarf population, though, so I'll welcome some Hobbit sets. My Lego Dwarf Fortress isn't going to build itself.

Captain Kevbo
Oct 14, 2000
Lego Lord of the Rings sets, eh? I can't wait for the Tom Bombadil and Barrow-downs sets! The Minas Morgul set should be pretty sweet. But the best set of all will the Shelob set. Please please please make a Shelob set complete with paralyzed and poisoned Frodo!

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Here is a decent article located over at Wired Magazine http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/12/its-lego-but-you-know-for-girls/ about the new line of girls Lego. The scientist set is pretty neat looking and some of the new colors maybe be put to use for some nice MOCs at least. On the plus side they made all the stuff compatible with the current Lego universe which seems like something they should have done originally. Looks like they are due out next year after the huge holiday rush is done with.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Rythe posted:

Here is a decent article located over at Wired Magazine http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/12/its-lego-but-you-know-for-girls/ about the new line of girls Lego. The scientist set is pretty neat looking and some of the new colors maybe be put to use for some nice MOCs at least. On the plus side they made all the stuff compatible with the current Lego universe which seems like something they should have done originally. Looks like they are due out next year after the huge holiday rush is done with.

They're already out in parts of Europe, and supposedly Dec. 26/Jan 1. here. The website says the 26th, but I've also heard the first for Lego Store sales. The website doesn't seem to be linked up yet, but it's publicly available. I just substituted "friends" for the name of one of the other product lines in the url:

http://friends.lego.com/en-US/default.aspx?icmp=COFranchiseUSFriends

e: vvv There's Exo-Force.

Shuppiluliumas fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 17, 2011

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I am genuinely surprised there hasn't been a mech-focused line yet. Something for the minifigs to ride in. I have no doubt the guys at lego could come up with some amazing designs.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

VanSandman posted:

I am genuinely surprised there hasn't been a mech-focused line yet. Something for the minifigs to ride in. I have no doubt the guys at lego could come up with some amazing designs.

???

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
My 3-year-old daughter likes to play with my LEGO. So far, she's had fun with winter village, creator log cabin and Toy Story stuff, as well as a few random minifigs. She's not much of a builder yet, that's why she's getting DUPLO for Christmas. I'll definitely be looking at getting her some of the friends stuff next year.

Also, I see the mad scientist's flask is getting used again in the scientist set.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
I went to TRU today on the hunt for new sets. I found the Ninjago boat and snake car thing, as well as the new Cars sets and also a couple of the Super Heroes sets. They had one battered copy of the Batman and Catwoman set, so I price scanned it out of curiosity. It came up as $19.99 - for 90 pieces. And, to be clear, the actual set is just Batman, Catwoman and her motorcycle. The other 75 pieces are just a little worthless street corner vignette filler thing that has nothing to do with anything.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sockser posted:

???

Shhh, he's probably blotted out Exo-Force from his memory.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Testro posted:

I don't really see what's so terrible about less abstract, more humanized minifigs. They haven't been True Lego ever since they stopped putting blank smiley faces on everybody, what's one more blasphemy added to the mix? :colbert:

The track record on female minifigs is pretty terrible though. I've got 100+ figs and one, count 'em, one pirate wench. Looking back most themes have had 1 or 2 lonely female characters that were almost always exclusive to the largest and most expensive sets, which is an absolutely lovely way to reach out to new audiences. It seems like none of the adventure themes ever have female characters in the stocking stuffer sets.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

blotted out? Looks like someone didn't get this awesome freaking tank.

I combined this with bits from a snowspeeder and a few other sets to make a bitchin Wipeout style ship.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

SynthOrange posted:

Honestly didn't know Exo-Force existed.... yeah that just doesn't look very interesting.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Exo Force was awesome :colbert:

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Exo-force was basically Ninjago with anime guys and robots instead of ninjas and skeletons.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Shuppiluliumas posted:

I went to TRU today on the hunt for new sets. I found the Ninjago boat and snake car thing, as well as the new Cars sets and also a couple of the Super Heroes sets. They had one battered copy of the Batman and Catwoman set, so I price scanned it out of curiosity. It came up as $19.99 - for 90 pieces. And, to be clear, the actual set is just Batman, Catwoman and her motorcycle. The other 75 pieces are just a little worthless street corner vignette filler thing that has nothing to do with anything.

This?

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Catwoman-Catcycle-City-Chase-6858

Goddamn that would be an evil TRU markup, they only want $13 for it.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Anyone else notice that the flying dutchman uses the same "leg" wisp thing from the genie in the next minifig series?

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/The-Flying-Dutchman-3817

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Exo-Force was awesome except for the hilariously terrible wanna-be dragon ball Z faces on all the minifigures.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Gabriel Pope posted:

They haven't been True Lego ever since they stopped putting blank smiley faces on everybody :colbert:

Unironically this.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Unironically this.

I support the idea of (a very limited number of) licensed sets, but yellow heads with plain smiley faces all the way. I buy them, and hands, in bulk off brinklink and just replace them on all my new sets.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Travis343 posted:

Exo-Force was awesome except for the hilariously terrible wanna-be dragon ball Z faces on all the minifigures.

My issue with this is they were on BOTH sides of the head, and the other was covered up by hilariously terrible wanna-be dragon ball Z hair.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I support the idea of (a very limited number of) licensed sets

Agree with this too, because we have lost a lot of space stuff to star wars, pirates stuff to POTC, now castles/kingdom to LOTR.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I hate these weapons/tools rack days for the advent calendar. :(

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

ElwoodCuse posted:

This?

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Catwoman-Catcycle-City-Chase-6858

Goddamn that would be an evil TRU markup, they only want $13 for it.

Yep. It was marked on the shelf as $17.99, but scanned as $19.99.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Gabriel Pope posted:

They haven't been True Lego ever since they stopped putting blank smiley faces on everybody

And before smiley faces there were terrifying blank faces:

(One of my first ever sets.)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
One of the first decent sets I got was the Warp Wing Fighter from the UFO set. After some begging, I also got an Exploriens Starship for Christmas the next year. My sister had a bunch of Insectiod stuff.

Nowadays they just don't seem as cool. Yeah, the Star Wars sets are awesome, the Space Shuttle set looks cool, but the Lego-original themes just seem a lot more bland.

e: What is the best way to separate the 2x1 bricks that get stuck on top of each other? I got a little brick separator but it still couldn't handle those.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
Well I'll take that Exploriens Starship off your hands if it's too bland for you. It would look great next to my... Exploriens Starship.

Paul MaudDib posted:

e: What is the best way to separate the 2x1 bricks that get stuck on top of each other? I got a little brick separator but it still couldn't handle those.

Do you mean 1x2 plates? Sometimes if you have two of them really stuck together, put them both on a larger plate and use the separator and really put a lot of downward pressure on it. If that doesn't work, I like to use a sharp letter opener. If you're careful, you can slice the plates apart without damaging the corners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
A special someone got me the Fire Brigade, let me know about it then wrapped it and put it under the tree! :( Torture. It will be my first modular house and is going to be such a slippery slope since I know I will want the older ones that are discontinued.

I already have a list of stuff I want to get/build that adding more might seem like a bad idea. the 5571 model team is still up there because I won't pay the crazy prices for the 2 doors or the wheels. I am also in the middle of a power functions tank build that I am still finding more parts I need to bricklink even though after every order I am sure I am done.