Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Defiance Industries posted:

I decided not to risk falling through the building this turn and just backed back into my hiding place.

Now all you need is for your mech to be Kool-Aid Man shaped.OH YEAH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Fraction Jackson posted:

What you can do in that situation is hop on top of the middle hex of a large-radius building; at least in Megamek, CF is tracked for each hex instead of each "building".

Actually, that's still accurate. The only thing MegaMek can't simulate is a building collapse (wherein, half the hexes of a multi-hex building are destroyed, the building's remaining hexes always collapse).

AtomikKrab posted:

These are hardened buildings

'H' is for 'Heavy'

'HD' is for 'Hardened'

The only reason I bring this up in a patronizing fashion is because I've corrected this twice already.

VVV Not necessarily corrected you twice, but repeating myself annoys me and I'm kinda grumpy today. Sorry.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 16, 2011

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Actually, that's still accurate. The only thing MegaMek can't simulate is a building collapse (wherein, half the hexes of a multi-hex building are destroyed, the building's remaining hexes always collapse).

'H' is for 'Heavy'

'HD' is for 'Hardened'

The only reason I bring this up in a patronizing fashion is because I've corrected this twice already.

I am dumb then.

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Fraction Jackson posted:

The answer to this is "it depends".

Buildings can support a weight equal to their CF. This means that the Gladiator can stand on and building 55 CF or higher. However, weapons fire degrades the CF, so if - for example - you have a 70 CF building and the Gaussbie hits that building with a Gauss and an SL, it would collapse and the Gladiator would fall.

Thanks, that was informative!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think the Phantom Mech probably originated in somebody rolling a ton of 12s while a Battletech author was watching. A lot of these sorts of game fiction things end up getting written about actual games with some tweaks.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
Maybe this is totally ignorant and crazy, but is there any good justification for the Gladiator to bullrush the urbie and push it into the water? If it does so, can it still fire any of its weapons? If the urbie's armor is as weak as people have made it seem, possibly the charge and fall could be enough to get a submerged breach.

The downside being, you're right next to the Bombardier who can hit you with a torso twist (though you have shots at his back or could DFA if it still refuses to move.

Then again, that could all be sheer insanity.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rivensteel posted:

Maybe this is totally ignorant and crazy, but is there any good justification for the Gladiator to bullrush the urbie and push it into the water? If it does so, can it still fire any of its weapons? If the urbie's armor is as weak as people have made it seem, possibly the charge and fall could be enough to get a submerged breach.

The downside being, you're right next to the Bombardier who can hit you with a torso twist (though you have shots at his back or could DFA if it still refuses to move.

Then again, that could all be sheer insanity.

Unfortunately, you can't charge and shoot in the same turn. And he'd still be vulnerable to enemy fire during the shooting phase, all of it at short range if he's charging the Urbie. (You make your charging move in the move phase, resolve the charge itself in the physical combat phase. Shooting comes between the two.)

Really, the best thing DI can do is just play it safe. There's no reason to take unnecessary risks.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Really, the best thing DI can do is just play it safe. There's no reason to take unnecessary risks.

Ah, that's a shame. Not that it's stopped us before.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

I think the Phantom Mech probably originated in somebody rolling a ton of 12s while a Battletech author was watching. A lot of these sorts of game fiction things end up getting written about actual games with some tweaks.

2s. A roll of 12 is the best possible roll you can make. Btech is roll higher than X not roll under X.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Goonlance haven't played this particularly well but apart from the headshot haven't been getting much love on shooting rolls either.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Unfortunately, you can't charge and shoot in the same turn. And he'd still be vulnerable to enemy fire during the shooting phase, all of it at short range if he's charging the Urbie.

Yes, but the Gauss Rifle has a minimum range, so it's the same as being at medium range with a movement bonus. It's not an awful idea, but it does leave him vulnerable.

Goonlance needs to either go balls-out agressive, or go totally defensive. Don't half-rear end it, because that'll just get everyone killed.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

PoptartsNinja posted:

MegaMek will actually do this in the latest release.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Longinus00 posted:

MegaMek will actually do this in the latest release.

Are we talking .25 or .26? .26's seemed a bit on the buggy side to me, but that might just be me being so very new to it (been using it all of a month, because of this thread) and because I have a supremely lovely computer.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Arglebargle III posted:

I think the Phantom Mech probably originated in somebody rolling a ton of 12s while a Battletech author was watching with Stackpole being a loving hack writer. A lot of these sorts of game fiction things end up getting written about actual games with some tweaks.

Fixed it for you. I tried to re-read the Return of Kerensky trilogy and had to stop when I got to the conversation between Anastasius Focht and Myndo Waterly.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PhotoKirk posted:

Fixed it for you. I tried to re-read the Return of Kerensky trilogy and had to stop when I got to the conversation between Anastasius Focht and Myndo Waterly.

Speaking of Waterly, I wonder what became of her in PTN verse? Was she interrogated and executed, or was she made to work in the Laborer Caste?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

landcollector posted:

Speaking of Waterly, I wonder what became of her in PTN verse? Was she interrogated and executed, or was she made to work in the Laborer Caste?

She'll probably make a grand return as Il'Khan. :v:

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

PoptartsNinja posted:

Anymore, my response to things that seem kind of bullshit is not "oh, the rules are just dumb" but "oh, megamek is probably doing it wrong". For all its good points it truly is one of the buggiest things ever. So I'm vaguely surprised that it actually does work that way. I just assumed it was an artifact of how megamek handled buildings.

In that case it may actually be viable here to building-hop as long as the Glad stay away from the edges. It might not be the best option, but it's something to keep in mind. At this point any little trick needs to be considered at least, if not necessarily used.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Tarquinn posted:

She'll probably make a grand return as Il'Khan. :v:

Don't even joke about that!

:tinfoil:

ShadowDragon8685 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 16, 2011

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Waterly is this universe's Phelan Kell.

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Fraction Jackson posted:

At this point any little trick needs to be considered at least, if not necessarily used.

The Awesome could spend this turn attacking the scenery (like the suspicious terminal or the lighthouse)! I'm betting it just turns out to be a regular terminal, since its confirmed not to have explosives (maybe the crew or anti-mek bees are held in there!).

cwDeici fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 17, 2011

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Felime posted:

Waterly is this universe's Phelan Kell.

Does that mean she can perform some kind of Phantom HPG Net ability?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Fraction Jackson posted:

I mean, that's obviously the kind of event they were going for, but there's a massive difference between a short little reprisal and how Kentares is portrayed fluff-wise, which is the point that I was trying to make. Burning a town to the ground out of spite is one thing. But the scale of the Kentares Massacre requires certain other considerations to allow it to have actually happened in-universe in a reasonable, logical way. It is essentially just a device: something that allows for a reasonable rallying point and explanation for the Federated Suns' rapid turnaround in the 1st Succession War, while also letting them be seen as a wronged party. It exists in place of, say, massive guerilla campaigns on occupied worlds combined with the AFFS exploiting lengthy and overstretched supply lines on the DCMS' part. That would be more logical, but it would be less iconic - the problem is that they went for the imagery and iconic nature of such a history-turning event without considering the mechanics of how that sort of thing actually happens. Again: genocides aren't just a thing that magically happens, there's a lot of factors that come into play, and most of them historically are far below the "efficiency" of the Kentares Massacre.

Throughout the Battletech universe, logistics are incompatible with what the game tells us. To the point that if you're going to run a campaign or role play game, you need to re-write the universe.

The idea of canon battletech is that the House Lords are not just feudal leaders, but leaders of political and cultural states along the lines of modern nations, and they impose this with their armies. This falls apart when you realize that it's militarily ludicrous for 108 discrete war machines, no matter how powerful, to control a medium size city, let alone a planet. And most especially a district of several planets.

And that's not even to start on the economics of the thing. In canon BT, it's often too expensive to move 3 dropships full of war machines, for the war. But then apparently a lot of planets import water from other systems.

All sci fi universes are a bit silly to some degree or another, but battletech is a bit sillier than most. To dial it back and rectify it, when I play in my group, the idea is that it really is space feudalism to the max. In my little battletech world, people just don't really care much who they pay taxes too. On most places, Federated Commonwealth or Draconis Combine or whatever culture just don't exist, unless you head down to your planet capital's House Lord recruiting post, or you are trying to get one of the very rare intergalactic government bureaucracy jobs. The fiction supports this too, a bit, telling us about how diverse all the planet culture's are. It follows from that that the House Lord's government is, or at least should be, incredibly weak. And military conflict is really just space knights playing dumb honor games and getting money stealing from the commoners. (Dumb honor games also go a ways to explain why a battlemech could possibly last centuries. In my games, I encourage players to negotiate standoffs with NPCs, and battered NPC groups yield for ransom if in mech, or surrender outright if conventional, on the regular).

And even with that, as for the intergalactic economics of it all, I figure "there are way more jumpships" and try not to think about it much beyond that.

quote:

To put it another way: most of Battletech fiction and fluff doesn't take into consideration the technological, economic, political and societal ramifications of its own setting. It is about taking the imagery and iconography of a specific time period (feudal Europe/East Asia) and transporting it into a completely different time period - but without accounting for the changes that really ought to exist as a result of that. Something like the Kentares Massacre is obviously designed to evoke a certain historical parallel, and a set of images, emotions and ideas, rather than to be an event that is plausible in all its stated dimensions.

It's sort of what gives Battletech its ridiculous, vaguely derpy charm, but it's also perfectly legitimate to consider why it is flawed, as many people in this thread have been attempting to do.

For sure. That really is like most sci fi though. It's always written by people in a contemporary frame of mind, and thus unless they really try hard, that frame will eventually be reflected in the fiction. We live in an era where people's personal and cultural identification largely corresponds to their national identification. Thus, in cannon battletech, House ruler identification is this huge thing on culture, even though there's really no way to back that up with the numbers and the world they show us.

What's more, it's American sci-fi universe made in the 80's. So we got our mandatory evil Japanese group.

Now if you don't mind, there's a locker I need to be shoved in right about now.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Don't even joke about that!

:tinfoil:

It's ok it'll all be rectified by Frederick Steiner orbital dropping a full regiment of Atlases onto her head. :black101:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Back in the day it was the norm that a given world didn't really care who was in charge and only worlds held by one state more or less since their founding would resist occupation. Then the Capellan upswing came around and let the "planets are actually really nationalistic!" genie out of the bottle, but only applied it on old Capellan worlds and the ones on the DC/Smoke Jaguar border.

The notion of mass pro-Capellan uprisings on border worlds actually BROKE THE UNIVERSE.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
In fairness, I could actually see resistance to Clan occupation happening. With the Spheroids, the general notion of extremely decentralized power works: if the House Lord who owns a planet leaves the planet alone, the planet pays its taxes and keeps on juggling goslings for fun and marrying off young girls to space captains in lieu of money for services rendered.

But the Clans, with their super-structured society, would not hold to that. They'd want to move in, sort everybody into their Castes and make them act like Clanners, and that would not sit with our local gosling-juggling, girl-trading yokels.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
After all, Clan girls are half the weight and go twice as far.

I'm so sorry.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Saving Janos Marik: Tactical Update 13

Combat Phase
The weather breaks, lightning strikes at maximum power this turn!

A Awesome
- Holds Fire!

S Ostroc
- Fires Large Laser at 5 Whitworth (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 6): rolled 10, hit Center Torso (0/12 structure remains)! `Mech Destroyed!
- Fires Medium Laser at 5 Whitworth (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 6): rolled 11, hit Left Arm (2/12 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Laser at 5 Whitworth (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, hit Right Torso (3/12 armor remains)!
- Fires SRM-4 at 5 Whitworth (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 6): rolled 6, 2 missiles hit Right Leg (8/18 armor remains), Right Leg (6/18 armor remains)!
Gains 19 heat, sinks 15!

G Gladiator
- Holds fire!
Gains 1 heat, sinks 12!

1 Bombardier
- Holds fire!

3 Urbanmech
- Holds fire!

5 Whitworth
- Fires Medium Laser at S Ostroc (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 8, hit Left Arm (3/8 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Laser at S Ostroc (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at S Ostroc (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires LRM-10 at S Ostroc (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 4 minimum range = 12): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires LRM-10 at S Ostroc (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 4 minimum range = 12): rolled 5, miss!

Turn End Phase:
Lightning strikes 3 hexes at maximum power this turn!
- - Lightning Strikes hex 1508 and all surrounding hexes!
- - Lightning Strikes hex 1015 and all surrounding hexes!
- - Lightning Strikes hex 1312 and all surrounding hexes!

Janos Valens grinned as the Whitworth fled, its continuous jumping had driven its heat up, and the experienced Capellan pilot had backed off to buy himself a little time.

“Not today, my friend,” he grinned, his Ostroc lunging forward towards the Whitworth’s landing zone. A spray of LRMs sailed over his `Mech, several warheads bouncing harmlessly from his armor—he was simply too close for the missiles to arm. Panicked by his relentless pursuit, the Capellan `Mechwarrior opened fire with his lasers, but scored only a single hit. Janos’ battle computer updated his `Mech’s outline, but another yellow patch in a sea of the same was nothing to worry about.

“Today’s just not your lucky day,” his crosshairs fell over the Whitworth. He thumbed the secondary and tertiary interlocks, lighting up the Whitworth with his close-range weaponry and a single large laser. The badly overheating Whitworth crumpled as his heavy laser caught it square in the chest, bypassing armor and severing the last of its primary supports. It fell like a man with a severed spine, the cockpit exploding outward as the pilot ejected. The Whitworth landed heavily on its back.

“The other two are fleeing,” Lieutenant Davion broadcast, his voice uncertain.

“Should we pursue?” Janos asked, “Press the fight? Or just take our victory and abscond with Big J.M.?”

Mission Objectives
Destroy All Enemy Forces (7/9 Victory!)
OR
Destroy the Janos Marik (0/1)

Secondary Objective
Don’t Destroy the Janos Marik (1/1)

Enemy Movement Modifiers:
1) BMB-10D Bombardier Ran (+2)
3) UM-R60G Urbanmech Jumped (+1)

AWS-8Q Awesome
Weight: 80 tons (Assault)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 4/24 (17/17)
LT R A(S): 10/10
CT A(S): 6/30 (25/25)
CT R A(S): 19/19
RT A(S): 0/24 (11/17)
RT R A(S): 4/10
LA A(S): 2/24 (13/13)
RA A(S): 15/24 (13/13)
LL A(S): 16/33 (17/17) Limb Blown Off!
RL A(S): 2/33 (17/17)
Heat: 0/30
Overheat Penalty:
Heat Sinks: 25
Movement: 3/5/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 3, Gunnery 2
Mechwarrior Name: Sergeant Major Rebecca Cage
Mechwarrior Player: Canopus250
Mechwarrior Status: OK!
Armament:
PPC – RA (Heat: 10, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
PPC – RT (Heat: 10, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: Destroyed!)
PPC – LT (Heat: 10, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
Small Laser – HD (Heat: 1, Range (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status, OK!
Critical Damage: Left Leg Blown Off!
Notes: 1 hand

ON1-K Orion
Weight: 75 tons (Heavy)
Mechwarrior Name: Captain Paul Masters
Mechwarrior Player: Defiance Industries
Mechwarrior Status: MIA!

OSR-2C Ostroc
Weight: 60 tons (Heavy)
HD A(S): 3/8 (3/3)
LT A(S): 14/22 (3/14)
LT R A(S): 0/4
CT A(S): 1/22 (20/20)
CT R A(S): 6/6
RT A(S): 0/22 (4/14)
RT R A(S): 4/4
LA A(S): 3/8 (10/10)
RA A(S): 0/8 (0/10) Limb Blown Off!
LL A(S): 15/20 (14/14)
RL A(S): 0/20 (14/14)
Heat: 8/30
Overheat Penalty: Movement reduced to 4/6/0, +1 modifier to fire
Heat Sinks: 15
Movement: 5/8/0
Mechwarrior Name: Corporal Janos Valens
Mechwarrior Player: ActionZero
Armament:
Large Laser – RT (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
Large Laser – LT (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
SRM-4 – RT (Heat: 3, Ammo: 24, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: Right Upper Arm Actuator Destroyed!
Notes: 2 hands

GLD-4R Gladiator
Weight: 55 tons (Medium)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 19/19 (13/13)
LT R A(S): 3/3
CT A(S): 19/26 (18/18)
CT R A(S): 5/5
RT A(S): 0/19 (2/13)
RT R A(S): 3/3
LA A(S): 10/15 (9/9)
RA A(S): 10/15 (9/9)
LL A(S): 17/19 (13/13)
RL A(S): 19/19 (13/13)
Heat: 0/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 12
Movement: 5/8/3
Mechwarrior Name: Lieutenant Joshua Davion
Mechwarrior Player: Guitar_Hero (Defiance Industries, temporarily)
Armament:
PPC – RA (Heat: 10, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
SRM-6 – RA (Heat: 4, Ammo: 13, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: None!
Notes: 2 hands

Enemy Status

1) BMB-10D Bombardier
Weight:
65 tons (Heavy)
Movement: 4/6/0
Armament:
LRM-20, LRM-20, SRM-4, Machine Gun
Notes:

2) RVN-1X Raven
Weight:
35 tons (Light)
Mechwarrior Status: Ejected!

3) UM-R60G Urbanmech
Weight:
30 tons (Light)
Movement: 2/3/2
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 3
Armament:
Gauss Rifle, Small Laser
Notes:

4) UM-R60G Urbanmech
Weight:
30 tons (Light)

5) WTH-1 Whitworth
Weight:
40 tons (Medium)

6) MON-67 Mongoose
Weight:
25 tons
Mechwarrior Status: Killed!

7) HER-1A Hermes
Weight:
30 tons

8) UM-R60 Urbanmech
Weight:
30 tons (Light)

9) STK-3F Stalker
Weight:
85 tons (Assault)
Mechwarrior Status: Killed!

Players: Failure is now impossible. Accept victory?

The First Regulan Guards have allowed their opponents to withdraw from the field, claiming total victory! As usual, I need an MVP for the players and the OpForce.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 17, 2011

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I say you guys just run along and take the victory. Mission objectives are complete, and things went pretty well. Let's not risk any last minute HD TACs.

And Captain Paul Masters managed to eject, right? He's marked as MIA.
He seems like a pretty cool dude. I hope his buddies find him safe, soon. :ohdear:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yeah, take the victory, no need to risk it while you limp along on bubble-gum.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Preechr posted:

After all, Clan girls are half the weight and go twice as far.

I'm so sorry.

Nono, it's all right.

Also, gun that Gausbie down! Backshot the Bombardier! Actually... can you hop up on that building in a way that breaks the Gausbie's LOS and still get backshots on the Bombardier. Or on the other side of that building.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I;d just take the victory, if either mech gets lucky hits on either moving mech you basically lose all your mechs. It's also kinda not worth it, your objective is teh battleship so get your battleship.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 17, 2011

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

the JJ posted:

Nono, it's all right.

Also, gun that Gausbie down! Backshot the Bombardier! Actually... can you hop up on that building in a way that breaks the Gausbie's LOS and still get backshots on the Bombardier. Or on the other side of that building.

Ignore this person, just go with your hard-won victory. Live to fight another day.

Also, find Masters and put him in the Stalker.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I'd take the win if and only if taking the win gives you enough time to look for the downed Paul Masters, who is too awesome to risk leaving behind.

I figure letting the enemy run means that the time you could be spending in pursuit can instead be spent on looking for Paul's parachute (I do hope there was one). So do that. Because it's Battletech, and everyone knows the true Primary Objective is to increase the universe's Coolness Quotient.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Screw all that. No Survivors! Take down those drat Dirty Capellans!

(Besides, technically the mission objective is to destroy all the Liao 'mechs, not let 'em run away!)

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah, let none survive. Maybe if you take the Urbanmech down cleanly you can learn the secrets of how the Capellans managed to add gauss rifles to them so quickly, or something?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Clanner women are half the weight, they have less "crits", and are a lot COLDER than inner sphere women. Iffn you know what I mean.

Lets not tempt fate

(Also Paul Masters can upgrade into a sweet near mint stalker once the cockpit gets a good cleaning.)

Scurrilous
Sep 2, 2006
evolutionary throwback
^^^ Gotta love that 'new' Mech smell.

Huh. I don't know why, but I was expecting that would explode or something when the lightning struck it.
At this point there's only one thing to do. Uproot a tree and use it as a peg-leg for the Awesome. You've got lots of ejected Capellan pilots to keel-haul!

Scurrilous fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 17, 2011

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'll admit that the 1st Regulan Hussars don't seem noted for being merciful people and the last time we let an enemy leave the field they came back with a vengeance. However, Grier Siedman was a named character and these are thus far nameless Mechwarriors of Warrior House Lu Sann. And you don't start a new order of Knights upholding chivalry throughout the Inner Sphere by being a bunch of right bastards. The canon Regulans were the guys who nuked a bunch of innocent civilians just to nab a handful of Wobbie survivors, while Paul Masters was (and is) a man of principle and honor.

Decide however you feel would be best, but I'd like to think the Goonlance would do Sir Paul Masters proud.

And when PTN gives this kind of choice, one can also infer it's because he wants to move on and that victory is, barring a hilarious terrible turn of Goonluck, essentially a foregone conclusion.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AtomikKrab posted:

Clanner women...

also hit twice as hard.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

And when PTN gives this kind of choice, one can also infer it's because he wants to move on and that victory is, barring a hilarious terrible turn of Goonluck, essentially a foregone conclusion.

Pretty much, but I don't want to cut things short if the players are all still having fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

also hit twice as hard.

Pretty much, but I don't want to cut things short if the players are all still having fun.

:ninja: and they are probably right behind me wanting trials of hurting krab.

• Locked thread