Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN

8th-samurai posted:

Is that Santa Cruz, California?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Rubber Slug posted:

Is that Santa Cruz, California?

Nope, somewhere in North Dakota along Interstate 94.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

8th-samurai posted:

Nope, somewhere in North Dakota along Interstate 94.

All my photos on the last page are from North Dakota too. However I was in northeast ND where the land is completely flat for hundreds of miles. I lived there for five years... never again. Too boring.

Here's another. This is just outside Grand Forks.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Koivunen posted:

All my photos on the last page are from North Dakota too. However I was in northeast ND where the land is completely flat for hundreds of miles. I lived there for five years... never again. Too boring.

Yeah, it was cool to drive through but I couldn't live there.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Koivunen posted:

Here's another. This is just outside Grand Forks.

Thats a nice shot, but I feel it works much better something like this:

Also I'd straighten out the verticals on the poles.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Crosspost from SAD:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Mostly crossposting from SAD:

Silverstar by hookshot88, on Flickr

HookShot fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 1, 2012

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
Here's something I uploaded a long time ago but never got around to sharing it here:

ForestPano1 by Jenseales, on Flickr

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

HookShot posted:

Stunning shots!!! The details are sharp. Is your white balance off on your 3rd picture? Because the snow looks greyish.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Niagalack posted:

Stunning shots!!! The details are sharp. Is your white balance off on your 3rd picture? Because the snow looks greyish.

Thanks for the compliment and thanks also for pointing that out! I'll take a look at it later, probably either white balance or an exposure problem, then post the fixed up one later on when I've worked on it.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

on L'Alpe D'Huez by wholesome_, on Flickr

allez! allez!

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

HookShot posted:

Wow, these are something else.

whaam fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 2, 2012

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

whaam posted:

Wow, these are something else.

This looks like a nice spot but the dark shadows on the rocks are jarring with the smooth beach rocks. It looks like you may have used a mask and if this is the case I would try to bring up the exposure on the rocks that frame the shot or at least even the exposure out between them and the smooth rocks at the bottom.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Dread Head posted:

This looks like a nice spot but the dark shadows on the rocks are jarring with the smooth beach rocks. It looks like you may have used a mask and if this is the case I would try to bring up the exposure on the rocks that frame the shot or at least even the exposure out between them and the smooth rocks at the bottom.

I was thinking the same thing actually. I had my grad ND a bit low and ended up putting to much on the rocks. I just brought the rocks up as much as I could and burnt/+contrasted the foreground stones a bit. Not ideal but I don't want to push the noise too far in the dark rocks. Thanks

whaam fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 2, 2012

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
The new image looks better, there is less of a jarring transition between the light and dark areas.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

HookShot posted:

Golly that looks awesome. I wish we got snow and pine forests.

We get this instead -

december2011-2 by sildargod, on Flickr

and this -

december2011-1 by sildargod, on Flickr

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
I have decided I'm going to pick up photography as a hobby and actively pursue it. I live in a very beautiful part of the UK and I feel like I should be doing more to share the sights I see on a daily basis!

Here are some of the shots I've taken. I don't have a proper camera at the moment, all these were taken using a phone camera. Although, I do have an iPhone 4S now and I find the camera quality on it is a lot better than my C902 or my Wildfire. I haven't done any post-processing.

Please could you critique my work so far? I'm not sure how much you can critique as I would imagine only having access to a camera phone is quite limiting! I'm in the market for a DSLR and I'll be visiting a local camera shop soon to have a play around. Could anyone recommend anything for an entry level amateur?

In this shot I went on a hike and was climbing a rather large hill. There are a few other shots but this is my favourite;

Christmas Day last year;

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

Hezzy posted:

I have decided I'm going to pick up photography as a hobby and actively pursue it. I live in a very beautiful part of the UK and I feel like I should be doing more to share the sights I see on a daily basis!

Here are some of the shots I've taken. I don't have a proper camera at the moment, all these were taken using a phone camera. Although, I do have an iPhone 4S now and I find the camera quality on it is a lot better than my C902 or my Wildfire. I haven't done any post-processing.

Please could you critique my work so far? I'm not sure how much you can critique as I would imagine only having access to a camera phone is quite limiting! I'm in the market for a DSLR and I'll be visiting a local camera shop soon to have a play around. Could anyone recommend anything for an entry level amateur?

In this shot I went on a hike and was climbing a rather large hill. There are a few other shots but this is my favourite;

Christmas Day last year;

Well I can tell you those are nice shot. If you had better gear they would probably turn out better in my opinion. With a phone you shoot on automatic mode and control no focus so the result is random each time. I see potential!

But if you had the proper gear my critique would be as follow.

Bad focus you, the slope is sharp detail and the background is way to soft.

On the other one , Straighten your horizon line ! I am not a fan of sun flare as well but that is personal preference .

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

Dread Head posted:

Can you explain to me where is your focus point? Also why you choose F8 instead of F22? Did you use any kind of filter? I really love your work, I hope to be able to achieve one of these someday. You still have no snow in BC ? drat! Could I use it as a wallpaper ?

Niagalack fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 4, 2012

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

Dread Head posted:

Hey, I've been there. (assuming this is the same bridal veil that is in Washington State...)

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

onezero posted:

Hey, I've been there. (assuming this is the same bridal veil that is in Washington State...)

Nope in BC (about 1-1.5hours from Vancouver).

Niagalack posted:

Can you explain to me where is your focus point? Also why you choose F8 instead of F22? Did you use any kind of filter? I really love your work, I hope to be able to achieve one of these someday. You still have no snow in BC ? drat! Could I use it as a wallpaper ?

It is like 11c here today (also 200mm of rain and lots of wind). F/8 tends to be sharper on my lens. Focus point was someplace in the log/water you see in the FG. I usually try to focus about 1/3rd of the way into the image but it depends on the scene. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperfocal_distance

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
Old picture but I think it's worth sharing.

Mont sutton by J-YG, on Flickr

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006
A few from a Sydney beach which is popular with photographers. When I was there for sunrise today there were no fewer than a dozen other people there with camera and tripod :)

Not an experienced seascape photographer (my first sunrise) so any comments/critique welcome.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
It looks like you used a GND filter or a layer mask and that the light does not seem to merge very well. This is specially noticeable on the last one, the waves go from dark to light quickly. If this is a layer mask I would move it up closer to the horizon. I wish I had a location near me that looked like that place :(

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

Dread Head posted:

It looks like you used a GND filter or a layer mask and that the light does not seem to merge very well. This is specially noticeable on the last one, the waves go from dark to light quickly. If this is a layer mask I would move it up closer to the horizon. I wish I had a location near me that looked like that place :(

Now that you point that out, I notice it too on that last one. That appears to mostly be due to a misplaced GND. There was a layer mask on it, and shifting it does help but doesn't completely remove the problem. I'll try and fix it up. Personally I can't really notice it on any of the other images - only that last one.

The darkened rock shelf in the second photo is, if memory serves, natural and not due to GNDs.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Kujaroth posted:

Now that you point that out, I notice it too on that last one. That appears to mostly be due to a misplaced GND. There was a layer mask on it, and shifting it does help but doesn't completely remove the problem. I'll try and fix it up. Personally I can't really notice it on any of the other images - only that last one.

The darkened rock shelf in the second photo is, if memory serves, natural and not due to GNDs.

Yeah it is most pronounced on the last one.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Kujaroth posted:

A few from a Sydney beach which is popular with photographers. When I was there for sunrise today there were no fewer than a dozen other people there with camera and tripod :)
Is that Turrimetta beach?

I've been meaning to head out that way as there are so many great places to shoot. Mona Vale Pool, Bangalley Headland, Avalon tidal pool and North Narrabeen. They're also the South Coogee pool and the nearby Ivo Rowe pools, Curl Curl and Dee Why. Further south, Bare Island in La Perouse looks fantastic (oh, and the shipwreck there).

Danoss fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 9, 2012

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

Danoss posted:

Is that Turrimetta beach?

I've been meaning to head out that way as there are so many great places to shoot. Mona Vale Pool, Bangalley Headland, Avalon tidal pool and North Narrabeen. They're also the South Coogee pool and the nearby Ivo Rowe pools, Curl Curl and Dee Why. Further south, Bare Island in La Perouse looks fantastic (oh, and the shipwreck there).

Yes, Turimetta. Most of those beaches you mention are on my list to visit. I look forward to winter because the sun won't be rising so absurdly early then :) Had to get up at 3AM to be at Turimetta in time for dawn and sunrise (unfortunately none of the dawn shots came out very well).

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Kujaroth posted:

Yes, Turimetta. Most of those beaches you mention are on my list to visit. I look forward to winter because the sun won't be rising so absurdly early then :) Had to get up at 3AM to be at Turimetta in time for dawn and sunrise (unfortunately none of the dawn shots came out very well).

Getting up so early is quite brutal. Sometimes it's easier just to stay up late and sleep when you get back home.

I grabbed a number of spots from this guide I found when rooting around on Google: http://freephotoguideaustnsw.blogspot.com/

Seems the guides attached to it (which use Knol) will be deleted in May, sadly.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
I'm having trouble finding subject matter around here that isn't all coastal shots. There just isn't that much interesting stuff where I am that doesn't involve rocks :(

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

whaam posted:

I'm having trouble finding subject matter around here that isn't all coastal shots. There just isn't that much interesting stuff where I am that doesn't involve rocks :(

The Dorkroom > Landscapes: making rocks sexy

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

20111213-20111213-_MG_2684.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

20111213-20111213-_MG_2738.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

20110923-20110923-_MG_2066.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

20110923-20110923-_MG_2079.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

BeastOfExmoor posted:

20111213-20111213-_MG_2684.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Looks like you were on the north shore of Kauai about a week before me! I found the view of Kilauea Lighthouse from the shore west of Queen's Bath to be more intriguing, but still didn't shoot it.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

20111213-20111213-_MG_2738.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

And this looks like Lawai Beach. I stayed literally half a mile from there, and snorkeled at that reef many times.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Leviathor posted:

And this looks like Lawai Beach. I stayed literally half a mile from there, and snorkeled at that reef many times.

Yep. Great snorkeling beach. Best selection of turtles and fish I've ever seen and much better weather in the winter than where we stayed up on the east side of the island.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

whaam posted:

Just wanted to say...

:aaaaa:

This is truly beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01