Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm practically a rookie, but I've always sat down with the director during tech/dress rehearsals and checked levels on every effect and music cue, and then even adjusted those on the fly depending on the night. Sounds like they were just hired for PUSH BUTTON MAKE SOUND.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Is there something that says that sound designers can't use simple effects like fading in and the guy/gal at the sound board can't use limiters and compressors? Are they allowed to listen/watch the play with their music or is it set it and forget it? I saw "Pardon My Invasion" at Plays and Players in Philly and I realized that I've yet to see a play (outside of really pro places like the Kimmel Center/and sometimes the Wilma) where the sound cues weren't dropped on the stage like a cinder block and then were loud enough to take away from the scene.

Probably the best was the music for the montage of the end of "My Wonderful Day". Probably the only time I've seen a play where the music was integrated well enough that it actually made the scene.

God knows how you've seen so many shows with awful sound operators. I've done sound design and operation for a total of one show - it was set in the girls' toilets of a skeezy nightclub, so the music was going throughout the entire play, and fade-ins/muffling effects were my bread and butter. Would've been so awful otherwise.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
In the last show I did, we weren't mic'd but the sound effects still came through the speakers. They were, in fact, the only sound that came through the speakers other than the horrible buzzing that we've spent hours trying to get rid of to no avail.

God, we need a new small performance space.

I wasn't directing and just reached a point where I couldn't keep dedicating myself to things that shouldn't be my problem. It's hard enough to act in something without also trying to fix all the technical aspects of the show, too.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

That sounds like absolute hell.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

rantmo posted:

That sounds like absolute hell.

The guy who ran lights and sound for me on The Last Five Years (who did a great job, by the way) spent a good six hours one day and a handful here and there doing everything he could to isolate and eliminate the buzz and it never, ever went away.

He managed to get the buzz down to almost nothing, but then during this show it was just as loud as before he ever started on it.

Drives me insane. Insane.

I'm also resigning myself to the reality that I'm pretty much the only person who doesn't believe in "good enough." Yes, it's community theater for a small town, but the better the shows are that we give them the more demanding they'll become. There is literally no reason not to be excellent.

Sometimes I think I should just go try and do some semi-pro stuff in Columbus instead. Then when I pore myself into something if any/everyone else sucks, they can be fired.

Geekboy fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 16, 2011

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Geekboy posted:

I'm also resigning myself to the reality that I'm pretty much the only person who doesn't believe in "good enough." Yes, it's community theater for a small town, but the better the shows are that we give them the more demanding they'll become. There is literally no reason not to be excellent.

This is me giving you a hug from across the internet. :glomp:

Geekboy posted:

Sometimes I think I should just go try and do some semi-pro stuff in Columbus instead. Then when I pore myself into something if any/everyone else sucks, they can be fired.

Why not? There's no reason not to give it a go.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
http://johnaugust.com/2011/follies-kindles-and-second-act-malaise

John August talks about Follies and its story problems, of all things.

CoolZidane
Jun 24, 2008

Geekboy posted:

Hold on a sec... Columbus, where?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

CoolZidane posted:

Hold on a sec... Columbus, where?

:siren: e/n ahead :siren:

Ohio. I've been doing a lot of stuff (read: I've had a part in I think every single production that had a cast of adults) with the Mount Vernon Players the last two years after not doing anything since high school and discovered I didn't just enjoy it: I needed it.

It's hard to explain to people why the theater I do is so important to me. I've spent my entire adult life dealing with some pretty major depression and I've only been able to keep myself pulled out of it on a consistent basis since I started doing theater again. I went to art school (and dropped out), I sing, I write, but the collaborative nature of theater and its strict deadlines keep my brain engaged in a way that keeps the chemical balance in order better than any medication I've ever been on.

There are people I work with who get that and people who just like to go on stage and have everyone look at them. I'm actually uncomfortable with the attention and have been since I was 18. I would really rather just disappear after the curtain call.

I feel like the people who just like attention are getting more of the say than those of us who view it as an artistic endeavor right now and it's just got me feeling pissy.

As far as reasons not to go to pro auditions: I have basically no resume and am quite honestly not comfortable with my weight. I lost a lot of weight when I first started up but I've been stalled for a while all the rest of my life has been in bad shape. I have a couple of goals in mind for when I am going to start searching for them and a timeline to get started on those goals. Step one is to finish up the book I've been writing, which is getting close to done. Then I'm going to find a gym and get started on a play I want to write. Hopefully the weight loss goals and the writing goals will coincide nicely.

If the play works out, I'd actually like to use it as some proof that I can back up what I say I can do with some results. In my mind the time off gave me time to really experience life and have things to draw from, but not everyone views things that way.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Geekboy posted:

As far as reasons not to go to pro auditions: I have basically no resume

I say this as a casual friend from the internet, from our days on City of Heroes; bullshit. Actually, I'm going to make this a two-parter: bullshit and who cares? You have a resume, even if it's just the community stuff you've done. It's theatre, it counts, it's a resume. Go in and audition, get seen, let them know who you are. Keep submitting, volunteer for stuff there, go to their parties, friend the company on Facebook. As for weight stuff; man, I hear you. It's tough and it sucks. Theatre has been a huge motivator for the weight loss I've achieved (and still need to achieve.) If nothing else, it's made me more athletic and active which has made a world of difference, even if I'm still packing a belly.

Don't sell yourself short or hold yourself back. Get out there and audition.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Thanks, man. It means more coming from strangers than someone who has to see me face to face, etc.

I made a commitment to be in a show in March, but after that I don't think I'll have anything until the fall. And even then it's stuff that I was going to pitch as ideas.

Not that Columbus has a lot of opportunities, but you never know what could lead to something.

Burger Crime
Dec 27, 2010

Deliciousness is not a Burger Crime.
I am in Toledo right now but I have teched a few shows with CATCO in Columbus. They are an equity company but I am not sure if they will do waivers for non equity actors. I would check them out though they are a really good company to work with.

Also I have a good friend that works with The Illusion Factory in Akron. They tour and do childrens theatre but it does pay and is considered professional experience so there is something to check out too.

Burger Crime fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 17, 2011

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Just got cast as Bob in Charles Mee's Summertime, and this is the beast I must tame:

quote:

BOB
Aw, no. In the first three or four years there was a couple of nights where I would stay up thinking about how I did it, you know. And what they said...they told me later there were so many stab wounds in my sister and I said no, that's not true at all, you know. So I think I had a little blackout during the murders, but uh...

[he sits,
making himself at home]

Well, uh, they said there was something like thirty stab wounds in my sister, and I remember distinctly I just cut her throat once. That was all, you know, and I don't know where the thirty stab wounds came from. So that might have been some kind of blackout thing. You know, I was trying to re- re- re- uh, re- uh, uh, resurrect the uh, the crime--my initial steps, etc. You know, and uh, and uh, I took, as a matter of fact, it came right out of the, I was starting the New Testament at the time, matter of fact I'm about the only person you'll ever meet that went to, to do a triple murder with a Bible in his, in his pocket, and, and, listening to a radio. I had delusions of grandeur with the radio. Uh, I had a red shirt on that was symbolic of, of some lines in Revelation, in the, in the New Testament. Uh I had a red motor...as a matter of fact, I think it was chapter 6 something, verses 3, 4, or 5, or something where uh it was a man, it was a man. On a red horse. And, and, a man on a red horse came out, and uh, and uh uh, and he was given a knife, and unto him was given the power to kill and destroy. And I actually thought I was this person. And I thought that my red horse was this red Harley Davidson I had. And I wore...it was just, you know, it was kind of a symbolic type of thing. And and and uh, you know, uh after the murders I thought the nephew was, was the, was a new devil or something, you know. This, this is pretty bizarre now that I think back on it. I thought he was a new devil and uh, uh. I mean basically I love my sister, there's no question about that. But at times my sister hadn't come through uh for me. You know and I was in another, one of these manic attacks. And uh, and uh, uh, uh, you know, uh, I was just uh, I was just you know, I mean I was fed up with all this you know one day they treat me good and then they tell all these other people that I was a maniac and watch out for me and etc. and like that. And uh, uh, so I went to them that night to tell them I was all in trouble again, you know, and could they put me up for the night, you know, and they told me to take a hike and uh so uh, believing that I had the power to kill, uh you know, that was that for them. You know. I mean when family turns you out, that's a real blow. You know. But uh, back to the original subject of forgiveness. If I forgive myself I'm forgiven. You know that's essentially the answer. I'm the captain of my own ship. I run my own ship. Nobody can crawl in my ship unless they get permission. I just (he nods) "over there." You know. "I'm forgiven." You know. Ha-ha. You know. (Laughs.) It's as simple as that. You know. You're your own priest, you're your own leader, you're your own captain. You know. You run your own show, a lot of people know that.

Who ordered a pizza?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Break it into chunks first. Then analyze the turns. Once you have the turns, tape the entire thing and practice off it. People memorize half hours of standup all the time by learning and refining incrementally.

But gently caress Charles Mee. As a playwright he's so imprecise and BORING. Never tell your reader "if you can't do this impossible thing I just said, whatever." Tell them what you want to see.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

T-Bone posted:

Just got cast as Bob in Charles Mee's Summertime, and this is the beast I must tame:

That is one hell of a beast.

I agree on the idea of recording it. I used the note taking utility on my iPod for my last show and will be doing that for as long as I do theater now. Such a simple idea and yet it took hearing Matt Smith talk about how he did it to memorize the scientific jargon in his dialogue as Dr. Who for me to think of it.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

I have been doing some light monologue coaching, and one thing that really seems to help the actors I work with is if I stand there and have them deliver the monologue to me.
The monologue delivered to an imaginary person changes when delivered to another actor who is responding.
It also helps break them out of pattern/repetitive delivery. :)

For me writing the subtext of the line helps me memorize :)

Break a leg T-Bone!

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
The "tape the monologue and listen to it" trick has never worked for me, oddly. I get self-conscious and start "delivering" the monologue instead of just saying the loving thing.

That said, that monologue is rough and those "uh"s are going to drive you insane.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Type it entirely from memory. That let's you know exactly what you do and don't have.

Burger Crime
Dec 27, 2010

Deliciousness is not a Burger Crime.
I just got an email from a director I work with saying he is doing a production of Urinetown in March and he asked me to work as LD. I am hella excited about this.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Just FYI guys A Behanding in Spokane is pretty loving weird, even by Martin McDonagh standards.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Hello theatre thread.

I have been working as a stagehand or doing related stuff for the past 15 years. Somehow I never though to look in CC for a thread.

kentuckyfriedfish
Nov 17, 2011
Glad I found this thread. Sounds like there's a nice spread of people here.

I've dabbled in acting, running crew, stage-managing and more recently lighting and costume. Hoping to either stage-manage again, improve with lighting or try my hand at sound with the next show. Currently doing lights for Rough Magic. I must say, that is so much more entertaining with haze, fog machines, strobes, and choreographed drag queen dances, (complete with disco balls!) than the usual spot, blackout, cross downstage lighting.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Just got cast as Horace Vandergelder in an amateur production of Hello Dolly, making two Walter Matthau roles in less than a year. I'm only 33, but this is a case of happy and somewhat worrisome type-casting.

This will be with the guy who directed my high school plays at the new high school they just built, which includes a really nice small stage. The room seats 3-400 and it has actual wings, new lighting and sound (they still smell new), the whole ball of wax. Considering when I was in school we had people sit on the floor in the gym while we opened up a retractable wall and did shows in the cafeteria . . . well, it's an improvement.

I'm not sure how I feel about this production yet (since it isn't for the group I normally do things with and it seems bizarre to be doing a community show in a high school as an extra-curricular activity for the students), but I'm happy to help him get the ball rolling on doing his own thing here. His idea is to do one community and one student production each year, so I really hope it works out for him.

Once this show is wrapped (March), I'm going to look into some semi-pro stuff in Columbus. Promise. I'll actually look before it finishes up, but I made this commitment so I don't want to start pursuing that until this show is over. Don't mind auditions overlapping, but there isn't enough of me to go around if the shows do.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Met someone who programs a fringe fest in my area. Sent over a few scripts so they could get a sense of my style.

What's the most graceful way to talk about payment? I could really use some, but even if I didn't, my time and writing are valuable (otherwise I wouldn't have (other) work repped)).

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Payment at a Fringe Fest? I sincerely doubt it. I don't think *anyone* makes money at those things.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Drat.
Edit: according to documentation, last year paid out 84k, which was double the year before. So there's a chance!

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 10, 2011

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Golden Bee, Just curious, what is your play called?

(Yes, I know. I'm late.)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Which one? I'd be writing a new one for the Fringe.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Opening the show I'm the associate director of tomorrow...my hand aches from writing cards for everyone! Pray that we don't get panned.

Ksrugi
Mar 21, 2010
I just had my first audition in New York. No matter how many you go through, you always get those nerves. In my case, I get that thought, "That sucked, I sucked, oh God why am I doing this to myself?" right after. It's exactly like "Climbing Uphill" from The Last Five Years. But after all that settled, my first audition wasn't a bad one. Just gotta kick back and wish for the best for now.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
The thing with auditions is, you have to understand that 95-99% of your auditions will end with a "no", but don't take it personally because it only takes one "yes" to change your life. :)

kentuckyfriedfish
Nov 17, 2011

Pigeon Shamus posted:

it was set in the girls' toilets of a skeezy nightclub, so the music was going throughout the entire play, and fade-ins/muffling effects were my bread and butter. Would've been so awful otherwise.

What show was this? That sounds like it'd be really fun to distort and fiddle with. Last show I did they had a fun time figuring out a phone conversation. At first they just had the chick stand off-stage and say the lines, then they decided-we have recording equipment, why not? So for the next week of tech the phone conversation was muffled a different way every night. And every show, stage manager about dropped after calling fifty some odd sound cues in a row just for that one scene.

I haven't worked sound yet, but I've heard a lot of people use QLab. I'm a little apprehensive about using something designed for a Mac. How does it compare to others? What do you use?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I've seen shows use it at the pro-level. Dunno beyond that.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

Ksrugi posted:

I just had my first audition in New York. No matter how many you go through, you always get those nerves. In my case, I get that thought, "That sucked, I sucked, oh God why am I doing this to myself?" right after. It's exactly like "Climbing Uphill" from The Last Five Years. But after all that settled, my first audition wasn't a bad one. Just gotta kick back and wish for the best for now.

If by "kick back and wish for the best" you mean "go to about 300 more auditions" then you are on the right track!

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

kentuckyfriedfish posted:

I haven't worked sound yet, but I've heard a lot of people use QLab. I'm a little apprehensive about using something designed for a Mac. How does it compare to others? What do you use?

QLab has been absolutely exceptional, and all of our sound designers/engineers love it. (LORT B/C theatres for context)

It's made getting sound into the rehearsal room even easier than ever, and we've had zero problems running shows with it.

Ksrugi
Mar 21, 2010
I'm fine with auditioning back to back to back. This one though will take me out of the country and out of the American market for two years. I've got a lot riding on it and I wanna see how it pans out.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I just found out the next show I was going to do has been cancelled, so I think I'm going to jump right into doing some "real" auditions. The only semi-pro stuff I see is an audition for the Columbus Children's Theater and it is, well, tonight or tomorrow, so there's not a lot of time to prepare.

There's only one male adult role and I am woefully unprepared, but the same group has a production of Secret Garden coming up and I would like to get on their radar for that.

This is a role that I think I could do (Uncle Hob in an adaption of Getting Near to Baby) and do well, but I don't know anyone in the group and I'll be essentially cold reading for this. My question for those of you who have more experience in the paid theater realm: Is this worth my time? Am I going to be doing myself a favor down the road even if I have almost no chance at getting the role this time around?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Absolutely. Getting yourself on the radar is useful in and of itself but getting the experience of auditioning at that level is also incredibly good.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

Got cast in Metamorphosis (not Kafka's).
It is a modern re-telling of Greek myths. I'm pretty nervous to start memorizing, but I have some time off so I might as well start.

And Geekboy I would audition. Spend some time before the audition studying up on your character and his relationship to the other characters in the play and what his objective is and you should do swimmingly in the cold read.
Even if there is only a small chance, getting your face out there is a good idea. You may never know if this group will have another audition for something you are more prepared for. And if they have your resume and headshot they can give you a call for stuff you are more suited for.
Just go in and be natural and listen to your scene partners and pursue your objective honestly. They will remember you fondly. :)

(Sorry my sentence structuring sucks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Looks like I have to write up a new resume and have a picture or two printed for tomorrow.

Here's the listing, if anyone is curious:

http://www.colschildrenstheatre.org/auditions/auditions.html

I'm more suited to musicals, but this could get me into their heads so if I have a shot at The Secret Garden it would be easier to get in.

• Locked thread