Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnakeParty
Oct 30, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

Are you talking about a whole duck or are you looking at a couple of duck breasts/other portions? Roasting, like most any fowl, is a pretty standard application, but technique and recipe will vary depending on the cut of duck you have.

Pairing duck and orange is a classic, so if not cooking in an orange sauce I could suggest a side of wild rice with just a touch of orange zest/splash of juice. Otherwise simple herbed roasted potatoes would be good.

Thanks for the help!

It is a whole duck, about 3 lbs (1.4 kg). Do you have any good recipes? I am pretty dumb and, since it is my first time, would like something to reference (like when I first had sex and had to read 'Sex For Dummies' because girls are complex down there!) First times can be scary.

I like the idea of an orange sauce/rice/potatoes...not sure what I will do...

Any good wine pairings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aelia
May 13, 2008
Quiche is sort of one of those foods you can throw just about anything in and it comes out good, right?

I'm trying to make about four- to six-dozen mini-quiches for a potluck on Sunday, and am trying to think of a couple different fillings-- at least one of which can't have any onion, due to food allergies.

My typical go-to filling is mushrooms, onions, garlic, spinach, ham, and cheddar... and since that won't work for all of them, I'm hoping for some suggestions. What do you put in your quiche?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

SnakeParty posted:

Thanks for the help!

It is a whole duck, about 3 lbs (1.4 kg). Do you have any good recipes? I am pretty dumb and, since it is my first time, would like something to reference (like when I first had sex and had to read 'Sex For Dummies' because girls are complex down there!) First times can be scary.

Any good wine pairings?

Sorry, I don't have any recipes off the top of my head. If I find one at home before someone else posts I'll see what I can do.

Aelia posted:

Quiche is sort of one of those foods you can throw just about anything in and it comes out good, right?

I'm trying to make about four- to six-dozen mini-quiches for a potluck on Sunday, and am trying to think of a couple different fillings-- at least one of which can't have any onion, due to food allergies.

My typical go-to filling is mushrooms, onions, garlic, spinach, ham, and cheddar... and since that won't work for all of them, I'm hoping for some suggestions. What do you put in your quiche?

I love quiche. My mom's typical filling is to go with bacon and swiss. Red and green bell peppers with some cheddar and ham (basically a denver omlette) would be good. It'd be a bit of extra work and figuring the right doneness level might take some doing but adding small potato cubes would be good as well...

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

SnakeParty posted:

Thanks for the help!

Any good wine pairings?

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/duck-a-l-orange

Pepin is the man. The recipe is for two ducks, but you can easily halve it. Don't worry about trying to find the breed of duck mentioned, because you won't. The site mentions some wine pairings. I personally like a very robust dry white or something like a Syrah with duck. The broiling step is important since duck skin (esp. on the breasts) is very fatty.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

zerox147o posted:

My current favorite thing to go with a steak and salad is sweet potato hash browns. Just put a sweet potato through a grater and make hash browns as normal. Usually will throw some garlic salt on there around the time I actually start making the steak for a little extra flavor. I usually have a plate sized spread of hash browns nice and crisp as a base that the steak is served on top of, with a salad (walnuts, apples, mozzarella, and balsamic) in a bowl on the side. Hmm... I might have a steak in the freezer, may have to make this on Sunday.

Made the sweet potato hash browns it was really good. Could have done with being a bit crispier but its my first time properly making hash browns. Also finally managed to get a perfect crust on the steak. Had some very good crusts but tonights was perfect. I think putting pepper on after sticking it in the cast iron pan helped.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

What's the cheater way to temper chocolate? My google-fu sucks right now and I am thinking of doing truffles for a dessert @ christmas.

Never mind.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 17, 2011

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Can I make bread pudding tonight and heat it back up tomorrow, or is it going to end up mushy?

SnakeParty
Oct 30, 2011

Aelia posted:

The other night I diced up some pancetta, cooked it until it was just starting to steam, and then added some diced shallots. I added it to green beans with candied almonds, but I imagine it could be delish in some quiche with some spinach and feta/goat cheese.

Wroughtirony posted:

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/duck-a-l-orange

Pepin is the man. The recipe is for two ducks, but you can easily halve it. Don't worry about trying to find the breed of duck mentioned, because you won't. The site mentions some wine pairings. I personally like a very robust dry white or something like a Syrah with duck. The broiling step is important since duck skin (esp. on the breasts) is very fatty.

yummmmm. Thanks I think I will try my hand at this recipe!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

Can I make bread pudding tonight and heat it back up tomorrow, or is it going to end up mushy?

I've had success warming it in a low oven then just hitting it for a really, really, really, really short time under the broiler to crisp up on top

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

I've had success warming it in a low oven then just hitting it for a really, really, really, really short time under the broiler to crisp up on top

I'm guessing it needs to be refrigerated, yes?

My goal here is to not be rushing around like a maniac tomorrow before my guests arrived :)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

My goal here is to not be rushing around like a maniac tomorrow before my guests arrived :)

I would. Most bread puddings are fairly high egg, so it would be wise. :)

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Jose posted:

Made the sweet potato hash browns it was really good. Could have done with being a bit crispier but its my first time properly making hash browns. Also finally managed to get a perfect crust on the steak. Had some very good crusts but tonights was perfect. I think putting pepper on after sticking it in the cast iron pan helped.

Glad you enjoyed ... even if you support that thug of a manager :argh:! Grabbed some sweet potatoes and will be doing the same on Sunday.

Tomorrow I'm going to try roasting a chicken stuffed with apple and cinnamon, with the skin rubbed down with butter and rosemary on a bed of red potatoes and carrots. Should turn out okay? Never tried this flavor combination on a chicken before. Well not a roast at least.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I accidentally left a non stick pan on the stove for about 10-15 minutes with nothing in it.

There was smoke coming off it and now its got some kind of brown oil stuff on it that looks like food but definitely isnt.

Is it hosed?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

RazorBunny posted:

You can also just prepare it tonight and throw it in the pan, but bake it tomorrow if you'd like to serve it fresh from the oven. Many bread pudding recipes have you soak overnight, anyway.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Crusty Nutsack posted:

You can also just prepare it tonight and throw it in the pan, but bake it tomorrow if you'd like to serve it fresh from the oven. Many bread pudding recipes have you soak overnight, anyway.

Ah, too late, it's baked. Looks gorgeous, too...maybe my guests don't need to eat any...

I made it with dried blueberries and leftover croissants, I have high hopes.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Fists Up posted:

I accidentally left a non stick pan on the stove for about 10-15 minutes with nothing in it.

There was smoke coming off it and now its got some kind of brown oil stuff on it that looks like food but definitely isnt.

Is it hosed?

Since it was non-stick, it's probably not that safe anymore.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

Fists Up posted:

some kind of brown oil stuff on it that looks like food but definitely isnt

How did you make that determination?

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Appl posted:

How did you make that determination?

It wont really wash off and it was clean before I used it. I put it on and got distracted by the phone and then came back and had to get it off and it looked like that.

When I say it looks like food it looks like a bit of oil and some brown stuff that has burned to the bottom

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Bellabel posted:

My roommate is a former vegetarian and has some dried texturized soy protein chunks left over from his meatless days. We're trying to use them up, so I added some to a soup and tbh they're pretty unappetizing (spongy and tasteless). Is there a way to cook them to make them less gross?

Rehydrate the TVP in boiling water (takes about a five minute soak for the large chunks, or a one minute soak for the small pieces), and drain off the excess water. Squeeze out as much excess water as you can. In a large skillet, heat a few TB of peanut oil over highest heat. Add cumin seeds, crushed coriander seeds, and fennel seeds. Wait about thirty or so seconds for the seeds to toast and crackle and pop. They'll smell awesome. Add onions and garlic, and cook until medium brown.

Add the rehydrated TVP, and sautee until it gets lightly browned as well. Add a few shakes of soya sauce, a light sprinkle of turmeric, and a good hefty bit of salt. Add tomato paste, and toss everything around in the pan to get it all evenly coated. Add a few splashes of rum, or red wine if you don't have rum. Let the whole thing cook, with constant stirring, for about 10 minutes longer.

Turn off the heat, and add in about a 3 cm knob of raw grated ginger. No, powdered ginger will not suffice. Sprinkle on a bit of garam masala, and stir everything through. Check for salt, and finish off with a hefty grind of black pepper.

It will be absolutely lovely.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Crusty Nutsack posted:

People usually forget about avgolemono, but it's one of my favorite soups. Only solids are rice, and you can just leave that out for something totally smooth, or overcook it when they're allowed soft solids again. Plus it's really filling for something so simple, and it's full of protein from the eggs. This is the recipe I use (feel free to make your own chicken stock, as usual): http://worthhersalt.com/archives/106

Thank you. That's a fantastic idea and I've never heard of avgolemono, just some non-greek equivalents that I've overlooked. You're entirely right about the protein. It's actually on the recovery instructions that we might want to buy some protein powder. I'm a little worried about the citrus, but it looks like I could use lemon zest as a partial substitute.

Wow, that's like the swiss army knife of soups. I like the idea that I could simultaneously do a thicker version and use it as a sauce in courses for the solids-eaters.

slavedaeva posted:

Fresh pureed vegetable soups can be awesome even in overwhelming quantities.

Broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, spinach, celery, mushroom, asparagus, and so on!

Just bear in mind onion and garlic are generally a moderation food when dealing with acid reflux, so you'll likely only be able to sweat the veg, add stock and starch (usually potatoes), cook until veg and starch is tender, then blend to a puree.

If there is absolutely no allowance for anything on an acid reflux moderation diet then chowders would be out since even skim milk is probably a no-go. But if that's not a hard no to add a bit of variety a simple corn chowder can be blended down and still taste just as rich.

Don't skip dessert! Fruit purees - banana can be divine for a tender tummy, puddings, fruit sauces - stick to the more fibrous fruits.

Thanks for the advice. That's good to know about the onion and garlic. I don't have a list of banned foods, per se, but I figure I'll just let the dietician veto anything on the menu that he deems to be a reflux trigger.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

What sort of spices should I add to make mulled cider? I've got a party coming up and was asked to bring a couple of gallons.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I'd do ginger, cinnamon and a very little clove, with an optional side of nutmeg (or mace if you are weird like me and have mace but not nutmeg in your house) or allspice.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

pile of brown posted:

I'd do ginger, cinnamon and a very little clove, with an optional side of nutmeg (or mace if you are weird like me and have mace but not nutmeg in your house) or allspice.

Thanks. How much should I add for two gallons? Also, I assume whole spices (say, cinnamon sticks, whole allspice berries, etc.) rather than powdered are preferable?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Fists Up posted:

Is it hosed?

I would say it is hosed.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Does anyone have an opinion on Kyocera ceramic knives?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Fragile and worthless. Get a real knife instead.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I like the paring knife, otherwise, what Wiggles said.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

What ricola said about wiggles.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Potential BFF posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on Kyocera ceramic knives?

They're sharp for a while, and then not so much anymore. Every time I use one, it feels too light to actually do the job. Also, the handles are way small.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

That is pretty much what I expected to hear, thanks!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Meaty Ore posted:

Thanks. How much should I add for two gallons? Also, I assume whole spices (say, cinnamon sticks, whole allspice berries, etc.) rather than powdered are preferable?

for two gallons I would do 3-4 sticks cinnamon, and then a thumb of ginger sliced into four or five pieces.

I'd do whole spices but if all you have is ground you can let the cider cool and the spices will fall to the bottom, then carefully pour or ladle off all but the last little bit. It's mostly for texture/presentation and you'd never worry about it unless you've been the person who ended up with a tablespoon of sand in the bottom of their mulled cider.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
I just got a food processor. This is my plan, please tell me what's wrong with it:

1. Cut up a whole bunch of dried chilis, toast them with cumin seeds and put them in the food processor.

2. Add a little water, and pulse until it's a paste.

3. Divide the paste into cubes, put in freezer.

How will this paste store in the freezer? Am I completely destroying the 'freshness' here? I just have this dream of making chili where I don't need to spend a half hour making the chili powder.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I just made some proper Bolognese sauce for the first time, and I didn't realise how much salt there is in beef stock cubes, meaning that when I added way too much salt myself when seasoning. Is there anything I can do about this? It's almost inedible at the moment and I have loads left over.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Gerblyn posted:

I just made some proper Bolognese sauce for the first time, and I didn't realise how much salt there is in beef stock cubes, meaning that when I added way too much salt myself when seasoning. Is there anything I can do about this? It's almost inedible at the moment and I have loads left over.

Other than making more without the salt and then combining, not really.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I kind of thought that was the case. I guess I'll just chalk it up to experience and chuck the rest away. Thanks!

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Gerblyn posted:

Yeah, stock cubes are a bitch - I know we're all told to make stock like good little chefs, but honestly I don't have the freezer/fridge space to make room for a gallon/couple of liters a stretch.

I've found that adding a little sugar when it's slightly oversalted can help balance it back a bit, but if your bolognese is Dead Sea levels i'm afraid it's hosed.

Zedlic posted:

I just got a food processor. This is my plan, please tell me what's wrong with it:

1. Cut up a whole bunch of dried chilis, toast them with cumin seeds and put them in the food processor.

2. Add a little water, and pulse until it's a paste.

3. Divide the paste into cubes, put in freezer.

How will this paste store in the freezer? Am I completely destroying the 'freshness' here? I just have this dream of making chili where I don't need to spend a half hour making the chili powder.

If you're looking to make a chili powder, why would you bother with the water at all :confused: Just grind up the dried spices and keep in a reasonably airtight jar out of direct sunlight.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced digital meat thermometer, the type with a long wire that can be left in the meat in the oven/grill and read from outside? I want to get one for my parents. I guess they got an expensive one years ago at Williams Sonoma and it promptly stopped working, so being old folks they've decided that they never work. Which means that the roast is usually overcooked. So preferably I'm looking for one that won't break immediately or I'll come out of this looking silly.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced digital meat thermometer, the type with a long wire that can be left in the meat in the oven/grill and read from outside? I want to get one for my parents. I guess they got an expensive one years ago at Williams Sonoma and it promptly stopped working, so being old folks they've decided that they never work. Which means that the roast is usually overcooked. So preferably I'm looking for one that won't break immediately or I'll come out of this looking silly.

This one from the same people that make the vaunted Thermapen.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
What does everyone do to clean off their cast iron? AB's recommendation of coarse kosher salt, canola, and paper towels doesn't have enough toughness as our (Brawny) paper towels will break down. I tried using the wire-y produce bags (like onions, citrus, or avocados) but cutting them and keeping them is a chore. Currently the wife heats it up and deglazes with water or something, but this is wreaking havoc on the seasoning coating and I want to come up with a better method. Should I just keep a dirty cloth around and use kosher + oil + elbow grease? It's typically seared beef that we're trying to get off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Hed posted:

What does everyone do to clean off their cast iron? AB's recommendation of coarse kosher salt, canola, and paper towels doesn't have enough toughness as our (Brawny) paper towels will break down. I tried using the wire-y produce bags (like onions, citrus, or avocados) but cutting them and keeping them is a chore. Currently the wife heats it up and deglazes with water or something, but this is wreaking havoc on the seasoning coating and I want to come up with a better method. Should I just keep a dirty cloth around and use kosher + oil + elbow grease? It's typically seared beef that we're trying to get off.
I use kosher salt and a regular old kitchen sponge.

If your seasoning is in good shape, you really shouldn't have to be working at it.