Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermophonic Joy
Jan 6, 2009

Sir Prancelot posted:

...one girl who appeared to be constructed entirely out of craft wire, and behind her the single fattest human being I have ever seen in person.

"Is this the anime club?" inquired the super massive star.
"It is," Travis and I replied in unison.
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAI EUHEUHEUHEHEH," exclaimed the goblin, springing on Travis to embrace him.

...It was astounding. Until then I did not think that eighteen years was enough time to get that fat.

Thank you for this. Your entire post was singularly the funniest thing I've read in a long time. I love your sense of humour.

Please tell us more! :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

Sir Prancelot posted:

I think the 'exotic Asian art' aspect of it lets them feel more special.

Allen Wren posted:

I think it also has to do with the roots of anime as part of wider nerd culture, descending from the tape-traders of the early 80s. Starblazers and Voltron were all anyone knew, and then people started getting tapes from overseas, the early fansubs and so on---it was this "holy crap, animation for weirdos like us" thing with people getting ahold of Bubblegum Crisis, Megazone 23 and so on...

When you come at it from that angle, as a thing that the nerds hand down to the youngers, it makes sense as an outsider hobby. Obviously, it's changed a bit what with the wider acceptance and broadcast of the material on television, but still the sort of thing that the emotionally impressionable can get lost in.

I definitely agree with both of you. I also thought maybe it was due to the "darker" theme that some anime tackle, but then, they don't do much that sitcoms don't also do, in some capacity.

I understand for children, the strong appeal of anime, due to the fact that a lot of the characters are their age or just a bit older, and often themes come up that involve adventure, or youth vs. age so there's a fantasy of independence.

I'm not saying adults shouldn't enjoy it, because there are some great pieces of work out there (Though I'd argue DBz, Naruto, Inuyasha, etc. aren't amongst those). It seems to be the crappy young adult series (Naruto, Inuyasha, Helsing, etc.) that seem to have these rabid followings of emotionally malfunctioning fandoms.

I hope this doesn't count as a derail. :ohdear:

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

cuntvalet posted:

I understand for children, the strong appeal of anime, due to the fact that a lot of the characters are their age or just a bit older, and often themes come up that involve adventure, or youth vs. age so there's a fantasy of independence.

It might also be the fact that when I was growing up, getting to borrow my dad's friend's videotapes of Bubblegum Crisis 2040 was better than Christmas. Suddenly you're watching something where there's ladies as the entire main cast, suiting up and doing crazy robot killing stuff. How many western cartoons were there where the cast wasn't "white guy, black guy, cripple, love interest, asian woman, nerd" ? Or where everyone was killing robots and stuff was exploding all the time.

That's probably why everyone likes it so much - it seems like it's so "different" and "unique" when really it's just a different type of stereotype.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
This thread is amazing. Skunk Boy and Melissa are the best newcomers.

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:

cuntvalet posted:

I definitely agree with both of you. I also thought maybe it was due to the "darker" theme that some anime tackle, but then, they don't do much that sitcoms don't also do, in some capacity.
Most of the anime creepy weirdos like don't tackle 'darker' anything. Bloodier and nakeder? Sure. And that, to a shallow mind that thinks in MPAA ratings, means More Adult and Special.

There's some really good anime and manga, but no weeaboo creeper I've known has been into it to the same level as Bleach or Black Butler.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

cuntvalet posted:

what is it with people with emotional malfunctions drifting towards anime instead of...well, any other bit of pop culture?

Sad thing is, crazies do get obsessed with things that aren't anime.

The Tale of Shaggy

I met Shaggy in late August of this year. Seemed like a fairly normal guy, and for the most part he is, but he is firmly convinced that he's Shaggy from Scooby-Doo.
To the point that he dresses like him, eats absurd amounts of food, and talks like him. Down to the zoinks. Other than that he's a really fun, interesting guy, who's happens to think he's a cartoon character.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

cuntvalet posted:

I'm not saying adults shouldn't enjoy it, because there are some great pieces of work out there (Though I'd argue DBz, Naruto, Inuyasha, etc. aren't amongst those). It seems to be the crappy young adult series (Naruto, Inuyasha, Helsing, etc.) that seem to have these rabid followings of emotionally malfunctioning fandoms.
Actually I think it's a symptom of fandoms in general. My favorite TV show (Supernatural) has the creepiest, most obsessive fans you could possibly imagine. The word "fandom" implies "emotionally malfunctioning, obsessive people" to me.

What's really creepy about the anime fandom though is that you've got, like, 45 year olds fetishizing these characters and writing fanfiction about 10 year olds having sex.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sir Prancelot posted:

Most of the anime creepy weirdos like don't tackle 'darker' anything. Bloodier and nakeder? Sure. And that, to a shallow mind that thinks in MPAA ratings, means More Adult and Special.

There's some really good anime and manga, but no weeaboo creeper I've known has been into it to the same level as Bleach or Black Butler.

There's a famous formula one of the kings of B-movies made that explains why that kind of anime is so popular:

"a) a younger child will watch anything an older child will watch;
b) an older child will not watch anything a younger child will watch;
c) a girl will watch anything a boy will watch
d) a boy will not watch anything a girl will watch;
therefore-to catch your greatest audience you zero in on the 19-year old male."

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
This thread and the threads it has spawned, holy gently caress...

I have (and still do) have an overactive imagination, and I sometimes imagine myself in movies or some such, but holy poo poo these people.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

My god. The fact I have viewed every single page of this thread is a testament to just how amazing this thread is. I feel for each and every one of you. I, just like most of the posters in this thread, have my own tales. They're not nearly as intense as some of these, but... Oh jesus, one of my memories just came back. I'll try to keep this story short.

Wolfy Romance and the Psychic
A tale that's not as cool as it sounds.

I had a friend who lived on the other side of the city I will name Blitz. He had dated my best friend from middle school; let's just call her Deena. Deena was a 7/10 on the animu/otherkin/wiccan crazy scale. I have stories about her, as well, but that's for another time.

At this point, Blitz and Deena had peacefully split up. They both "allowed" me to maintain a friendship with each of them at this point, so occasionally, I would hang out with one or the other.

Blitz called me and said he was in my area and wanted to hang out. It seemed unlikely since there was no reason he'd need to visit my area, but whatever, it was company. He and I decided to explore a nearby park. The conversation was pleasant until he started on something he had only recently told me about : his wolf pack. He was an alpha male wolf who led a pack of 5 or so wolves. The only reason I put up with his chatter was because it had (at this point) only come up in passing. I had dealt with stranger things, so when he started up again, I figured it would pass.

You know the truth.

Blitz went on to say he had found a new "mate" at this point--a younger girl (we were all high schoolers) who had an eeevil religious family. He told me they were soulbound at that point, and their bond was all they had considering she had gone to another state for the summer holiday. He moaned about how painful it was he couldn't mentally feel her like he used to. I nodded along. I mean, missing someone you care for is easy to relate to! Well, poo poo got weird.

:byodood: (Blitz) I really wish there was a way for me to connect to her... This is so hard. I feel like my soul is getting CRUSHED.

:geno: (Me) I'm sorry about that... It must be hard. And stuff.

:byodood: Yeah... But wait. I remember Deena mentioning something about you. She said you're a healing psychic, right?!

:geno: Um... Sure. Yeah.

:byodood: watches me as I recline in the grass. He lies down next to me. Well... That means I can channel through you, because I can tell you're powerful! He rolls over to face me. He gently puts his hand on my head and stares at me

:geno: Err... Why are you doing that?

:byodood: leans in close and shuts his eyes. I can feel her spirit... through you... She's trying to communicate with me through your soul. Can I hold you??

:geno: What the hell are you-- gently caress, I don't know why I'm agreeing to this. Fine. No more than that.

:byodood: squeezed his eyes shut and proceeds to cuddle me in the grass as I stare at the sky blankly Aaahmgod so good to feel you again... I miss you sooooooo much... You're so beautiful...

A SEEMINGLY INFINITE AMOUNT OF TIME LATER...

:byodood: Can I KISS her? Through you?!

:geno: Jesus christ, no. No. Why. God. What.

I was a pushover back then, but I wasn't THAT big of a sucker. I mean, I'd already let him too close out of trust. As I had mentioned, I've dealt with crazier poo poo than this. Cuddling was pretty common amongst my stranger friends and came to the realization it wasn't hurting anybody. Kissing me, though? Nope. I bailed. Getting him to go away and STAY away after that involved him being stalkery, but at that point I had procured some friends below my crazy threshold who were kind enough to talk him out of sitting on my front lawn before I got home from school.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

broken pixel posted:

:byodood: squeezed his eyes shut and proceeds to cuddle me in the grass as I stare at the sky blankly Aaahmgod so good to feel you again... I miss you sooooooo much... You're so beautiful...

It's getting harder and harder to read this thread, as I'm split between awkward laughter and horrifying disgust.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

by astral

ShootaBoy posted:

Sad thing is, crazies do get obsessed with things that aren't anime.

The Tale of Shaggy

I met Shaggy in late August of this year. Seemed like a fairly normal guy, and for the most part he is, but he is firmly convinced that he's Shaggy from Scooby-Doo.
To the point that he dresses like him, eats absurd amounts of food, and talks like him. Down to the zoinks. Other than that he's a really fun, interesting guy, who's happens to think he's a cartoon character.

Does he have a dog?

purple_sammich
Feb 3, 2010

the kawaiiest posted:

Actually I think it's a symptom of fandoms in general. My favorite TV show (Supernatural) has the creepiest, most obsessive fans you could possibly imagine. The word "fandom" implies "emotionally malfunctioning, obsessive people" to me.

God, Supernatural fans are seriously the worst. I was never really in the midst of the fandom until I joined tumblr and I spend a lot of time wishing I could punch them all in the throat. Still, they're pretty fascinating. My favorite thing is when they threaten to murder the writers because the writers either don't understand the characters like the fandom does or they are going out of their way to ruin certain characters on purpose.

I don't know how common this behavior and way of thinking is but goddamn is it prevalent in the Supernatural fandom.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

JohnDonovanLiver posted:

It's getting harder and harder to read this thread, as I'm split between awkward laughter and horrifying disgust.

Hahah so many wonderful stories here. :) I think the Stare/Gonk emote was built just for this thread: :stonk: I CAN'T STOP READING!

nanomachines
Dec 7, 2011

On top of Ex-BFF Who Thought He Was a Bird God (tm), I totally just remembered this guy my friends used to talk to online/see in person occasionally. I always thought he was a little on the pathetic side (first conversation he ever had with my gf included "I want to hurt myself because I'm so depressed but I can't because all my knives are -too dull-!"), and he really didn't like me much. I discovered why one day when he decided to message me on AIM about this problem he had with me. We'll call him Bernard.

I was a big fan of the anime show Fruits Basket, which had just finished airing in Japan at the time (in 2002 or so, I guess?) and I was fond of drawing my favourite characters for fun on a fairly popular oekaki board me and Bird God BFF ran together. Bernard actually sought me out on AIM to tell me he had taken particular offence to the fact that Kyoh was my favourite character and how I should stop drawing him and being such a fan because I didn't deserve Kyoh's love and that Bernard and Kyoh were destined to be and I should just stay out of their way and stop being a vile, horrible temptress.

I kind of messed with him a bit by telling him that it was too bad because Kyoh and I were already married and Bernard was late to the party because I saw him first. Bernard flipped his poo poo and went off on a tirade about how horrible I was, signed off, and then flipped out to another one of my friends about how I was holding his man back and was clearly an evil person. He then proceeded to draw angsty art of Kyoh (crying with a knife in the rain so you know it's SERIOUS!) all over the oekaki board.

Eventually Bernard tried to make peace with me when he fell in love with a Naruto character instead. As a token of goodwill, he drew Kyoh all wrapped up in string for me, effectively passing the lovetorch back to me since he was no longer in some sort of relationship with Kyoh.

About 7 years later or so, I discovered through facebook that Bernard is friends with one of my new, not-so-crazy friends of the now. I asked her about him and she just laughed and told me "he's kinda crazy so I don't talk to him much".

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

purple_sammich posted:

God, Supernatural fans are seriously the worst. I was never really in the midst of the fandom until I joined tumblr and I spend a lot of time wishing I could punch them all in the throat. Still, they're pretty fascinating. My favorite thing is when they threaten to murder the writers because the writers either don't understand the characters like the fandom does or they are going out of their way to ruin certain characters on purpose.

I don't know how common this behavior and way of thinking is but goddamn is it prevalent in the Supernatural fandom.

Just look at how people have reacted to the way Lucas treated Darth Vader in the prequels.

You would be hard-pressed to say he hadn't ruined the character.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

purple_sammich posted:

My favorite story is the one about this one fan who freaked out when one of the actors showed up with his wife at a con because she "didn't spend all this money and come all the way to the con to see Jensen with his wife" or something like that. God I wish I could find a link, it was the most absurd loving thing.

Supernatural really does have the worst goddamn fans.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

the kawaiiest posted:

My favorite story is the one about this one fan who freaked out when one of the actors showed up with his wife at a con because she "didn't spend all this money and come all the way to the con to see Jensen with his wife" or something like that. God I wish I could find a link, it was the most absurd loving thing.

Misha Collins' wife gets an incredible amount of hate too, which really depresses me - she's kind of goofy-looking and insanely smart and she's got herself this steaming hot husband; all I can think is good for her, it's not something you often see that way round. But the fans loathe her with a passion; the poo poo that's posted about her looks would make 4chan say hang on a second. And this is from women.

Also, have a description of the WTFery that ensued when one of the leads announced his wife was pregnant: http://www.journalfen.net/community/fandom_wank/1282606.html

Supernatural fans are pure multi-car-pile-up can't-look-away ghastly.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

bringmyfishback posted:

Also, just want to say that while I understand "Season" is an unusual name, that doesn't mean people need to go find her on Facebook or anything.

Then why did you go HEY YOU GUYS ARE SEASON AND ALEX RIGHT when you thought that was who the other poster was? They weren't, so no harm done, but fake names were obviously used for a reason...

quote:

Now, like some people in the thread have said, I had a mental fantasy world that I would go into while waiting to fall asleep. I knew it was a goddamn fantasy, because most Jedi Masters aren't twelve and their best friends aren't usually Sephiroth. Oh, and I knew it wasn't real and that it was also WAY WAY TOO loving WEIRD AND NERDY TO EVER TALK ABOUT.

Huh, I've been doing this poo poo since I was little. For some reason thought I was the only one.

General Ironicus posted:

Why are they always named Melissa. If your name is Melissa or Heather there is an 80% chance you're nuts.

A Heather lives next door to me... she is six and adorable, I don't want her to be crazy! :( Though with that said, she told me that some people (presumably social services) took her to live with her current family because "mum had lots of kids and that means she couldn't take care of us all". Stay sane, l'il Heather. :smith:

Corridor fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 17, 2011

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Runcible Cat posted:

Also, have a description of the WTFery that ensued when one of the leads announced his wife was pregnant: http://www.journalfen.net/community/fandom_wank/1282606.html

“If it's true my opinion of Jared is in the toilet. I still believe he's gay and in a relationship with Jensen. It's not possible for two guys to work as close as they do for almost 7 years and be as close friends as they are unless it's beyond friendship. Not possible. Not with HW egos."

Forget the bit about toothpicks, this is the sort of poo poo you put on above the entrance to the asylum.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Runcible Cat posted:

Misha Collins' wife gets an incredible amount of hate too, which really depresses me - she's kind of goofy-looking and insanely smart and she's got herself this steaming hot husband; all I can think is good for her, it's not something you often see that way round. But the fans loathe her with a passion; the poo poo that's posted about her looks would make 4chan say hang on a second. And this is from women.

Hahaha oh God this. Yeah it's just... it's like it's just so perfect, I want to believe that the whole fandom is just a couple of people trolling. It's too good.

I wonder if Jared has seen this or heard about it. I hope he hasn't because honestly this is just creepy on a whole new level. If I were him I'd just grab my wife and go hide someplace far, far away because I'd seriously worry about the safety of my family. There's some serial killer-like obsession going on this fandom.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
It's nice to see how blatantly the writers rip the piss out of them, particularly in series 5, where the Winchesters meet that lass who writes slashfic of them. The crazy fans don't seem to recognise themselves in it though.

Twiggy Johnson
Jun 10, 2011

Runcible Cat posted:

People like that give me dark thoughts. I'm going back to the Matenwa thread. Shameless cross-promotion for any non-GBSers.

my darling feet
May 9, 2007
are truly captivating
Wow, I just started watching Supernatural, so I'll be sure to keep the crazy down in my interactions with the show.

Content:

When my parents up and moved us to a different high school just before freshman year (1999), I found a whole new world of crazy in a very backwards, redneck town. I also (since I attract crazies), ended up in a group of about eight girls (plus two token boys), all who did role playing in a terrible, terrible way.

Much of it was centered on the activities and organization of the one girl Niekol. Pronounced and spelled like "Nicole," but she was special, ffs, she'll have this special spelling because she's empowered, and her soul is in this other figure.

Know what also sounds like Nicole? NEKO! Yes! She was obviously blessed. She walked around with a clip on tail tucked in the back of her jeans and a headband with ears.

Niekol liked to draw. We all like to draw! Cool! She was pack leader because she drew so well! Look at these cat/dog people she does super good! Around the same time, the show Inuyasha came out, and it looks like Niekol has been tracing and taking all of her character design from the show. She had the Internet at home, whereas most of us used the school computers for academic research, so she got away with this hypnotic ruse much longer.

When confronted with this news, she quite adamantly denies it, stating in fact, because her character, Brooklyn, has a different color eye, it's completely different.

Ah, and the Sailor Moon and Tenchi Muyo roleplay. Between these people there were something like a dozen notebooks, each carrying on a relationship or storyline. You could NOT take the role of another Scout if it was claimed and currently in use by another person. Niekol was a slender, small girl, but she'd be bent over with the weight of all of these notebooks she'd clutch to her chest. The sheer volume of them had her slumped over. She would assign the roles to people.

As the latecomer who hadn't known these people through elementary and middle school, I was given the least fun characters to "role play." At the time, my one friend, also Summer, had a huge crush on me and I was not reciprocating. Summer was persistent and because Niekol was so benevolent, I got to be Sailor Neptune and she was Sailor Uranus ...

Should I continue? Is there interest? I have four whole years of this fun.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

my darling feet posted:

Wow, I just started watching Supernatural, so I'll be sure to keep the crazy down in my interactions with the show.

Content:

When my parents up and moved us to a different high school just before freshman year (1999), I found a whole new world of crazy in a very backwards, redneck town. I also (since I attract crazies), ended up in a group of about eight girls (plus two token boys), all who did role playing in a terrible, terrible way.

Much of it was centered on the activities and organization of the one girl Niekol. Pronounced and spelled like "Nicole," but she was special, ffs, she'll have this special spelling because she's empowered, and her soul is in this other figure.

Know what also sounds like Nicole? NEKO! Yes! She was obviously blessed. She walked around with a clip on tail tucked in the back of her jeans and a headband with ears.

Niekol liked to draw. We all like to draw! Cool! She was pack leader because she drew so well! Look at these cat/dog people she does super good! Around the same time, the show Inuyasha came out, and it looks like Niekol has been tracing and taking all of her character design from the show. She had the Internet at home, whereas most of us used the school computers for academic research, so she got away with this hypnotic ruse much longer.

When confronted with this news, she quite adamantly denies it, stating in fact, because her character, Brooklyn, has a different color eye, it's completely different.

Ah, and the Sailor Moon and Tenchi Muyo roleplay. Between these people there were something like a dozen notebooks, each carrying on a relationship or storyline. You could NOT take the role of another Scout if it was claimed and currently in use by another person. Niekol was a slender, small girl, but she'd be bent over with the weight of all of these notebooks she'd clutch to her chest. The sheer volume of them had her slumped over. She would assign the roles to people.

As the latecomer who hadn't known these people through elementary and middle school, I was given the least fun characters to "role play." At the time, my one friend, also Summer, had a huge crush on me and I was not reciprocating. Summer was persistent and because Niekol was so benevolent, I got to be Sailor Neptune and she was Sailor Uranus ...

Please do continue! I wanna knooooow.

purple_sammich
Feb 3, 2010

the kawaiiest posted:

Yes, I remember that, that poo poo was crazy. It's probably on fandomwank. I've luckily never encountered the crazies who hate the actors' wives personally which is nice, but even if they aren't having a fit over the wives they're freaking out about something else.

I remember that, too. :( It's one thing to be creepy and ship people in real life, it's another thing to be completely covered in tinfoil and accuse someone of getting married and getting their wife pregnant to hide their gay love for their best friend. I just don't get it.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Valex posted:

Does he have a dog?

Follow up: is he romantically inclined towards said/a dog?

my darling feet posted:

Second pretty please, my darling feet! :)

Look a sunflower
Jan 6, 2010

There may be a boogeyman or boogeymen in the house.
This is my favorite line from that:

“What are you even saying? OVA didn't say that Jared hosed Gen and gave her a baby. That's YOUR fanfic.”

Can you imagine the level of detail the actor and his wife would need to disclose to appease this person?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Wedemeyer posted:

Follow up: is he romantically inclined towards said/a dog?

Second pretty please, my darling feet! :)

I just gotta stop and say, I didn't realize at first that "my darling feet" was the name of the poster you were quoting, and I thought you'd just given them a super weird pet name.

Anyhow, yeah, I'm interested in more stories as well.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Valex posted:

Does he have a dog?

I don't know if he has as a dog, but I'll ask him when I see him.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Corridor posted:

Then why did you go HEY YOU GUYS ARE SEASON AND ALEX RIGHT when you thought that was who the other poster was? They weren't, so no harm done, but fake names were obviously used for a reason...

EDIT: Original reply sounded grumpy. Basically, I didn't think my cunning plan through, but also I don't tihnk there's much anyone can do with first names and no other information. Just felt obligated to add that I didn't want them to get goonstalked.

And now, another psycho story so that this derail stops:

Long-Distance Lovers

A boy in my high school who I was sort of friends with simply because we sat near each other in math class claimed to have a super-hot fiancee across the country. This is unusual in a tenth-grader, especially a fat kid who cried all the time. He would regale me with stories about how they had astral sex and how, because they were Wiccans, she was going to get pregnant in the astral and then bear his meatbaby.

He later dropped out of school and last I heard, he was going to DeVry.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 18, 2011

Kolkhoz
Nov 18, 2004
do you want karate?
In my limited experience with people involved in these fandoms, they always seemed to have the most horrible opinions on race and gender. How did any of them interact with people from other backgrounds?

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

The four stages of E/N posting.

bringmyfishback posted:

EDIT: Original reply sounded grumpy. Basically, I didn't think my cunning plan through, but also I don't tihnk there's much anyone can do with first names and no other information. Just felt obligated to add that I didn't want them to get goonstalked.

Actually when you first asked if it was Season, I thought that you were asking if the girl was named Autumn or Winter or something. Like I thought you were trying to figure out if this was a crazy girl you knew who also was named after a season but you didn't want to say it directly. Because who the hell is really named Season?

/derail

Also, I had never heard of Piccolo before this thread. I consulted Wikipedia and am still utterly confused as to how that would be erotic for anyone.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
The whole Piccolo thing is particularly funny because I just finished re-reading the original Dragon Ball, and all I can picture when people talk about Piccolo is Piccolo's father, King Piccolo:

Mmmmm, sexy.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Lance Streetman posted:

The whole Piccolo thing is particularly funny because I just finished re-reading the original Dragon Ball, and all I can picture when people talk about Piccolo is Piccolo's father, King Piccolo:

Mmmmm, sexy.

Aren't those dudes technically genderless?

I mean, not like that's the main problem, but still..

Snapdragon750
Mar 7, 2007

PLEASE DISREGARD MY FAGGOT TREE

The Ghoul posted:

Why is it always girls? I don't think many guys make it to this age acting like that, and the ones that do are usually more introverted and creepy.

I think it's because they are imitating the way teenage girls are often portrayed in anime, which is usually as high-pitched, dramatic crazies. Guys don't really have that same "role model." But it seems to me that furries are mostly dudes, so don't think your gender didn't get an equal slice of the crazy pie.

quote:

Aren't those dudes technically genderless?

This was asked and answered before, but Summer's explanation for this bears repeating: "He has to pee from somewhere!"

bringmyfishback posted:

Well, OBVIOUSLY this is PROOF that Videoland is a real place! They're BOTH going there! It's just that Videoland ITSELF has splintered into alternate dimensions!

But I only know that because I'm really a space dragon who is also Sailor Earth

:aaaaa:

“All real people have GA selves too! So everyone who I have a crush on in real life is one of my GAs!”

Summer and I were members of the colorguard, and she had a crush on the drum major of our marching band, Brandon. It should be noted that Brandon shaved his head. He was also a year, maybe two years ahead of us, and Summer spent no time at all talking with him socially. I'm not even sure he knew who she was, and so I have no idea what her crush was based on. :iiam:

Except that he bossed people around and was bald. Hmm. :ms:

Like I mentioned, Summer wasn't ugly or socially retarded (and was certainly not shy) and probably could have gone out with Brandon if she'd bothered to strike up a conversation with him. But she didn't. In fact, she never had any boyfriends in high school.

So rather than doodle Brandon's first name with her last name in her notebook like normal girls our age, Summer decided that Brandon had a “GA Self” too, because apparently all real people had “GA selves.” Now when Summer would tell me what Piccolo, the Sailor Scouts, and all the characters from Street Fighter, Fushigi Yuugi, and Inu Yasha were doing, she'd include Brandon. This was a whole new level of creepy to me because Brandon was a real person! I wondered how Brandon would feel about this.

This "real people as GAs" thing rarely applied to anyone except Brandon, though, with one notable exception.

Summer gets abducted by Hitler and apologizes to me for, you know, the Holocaust

After Summer “died” and went to what she called “retraining” (really purgatory if purgatory were a high school classroom), which I will tell you all about later, she started bringing old enemies back on the basis that they had been through “retraining” and had now learned the errors of their ways, and most of them became her GAs.

Then one day she told me that Hitler wanted to talk to me.

Yes, the Real Hitler.

You see, Summer was into world history, specifically WWII, in a way that only an anime fangirl can be “into” WWII. She knew little of the details of the time period and drew comics of Stalin, Hitler, Mussolini, and Churchill doing ridiculous things, nicknamed her friends with dictator names (I'll never forget her yelling “HEY HITLAAAAA!” at a friend of ours across the quad whenever she saw her), and shouted “luftwaffe!” and “blitzkrieg!” for no reason.

So we're on the phone and one day this comes totally out of the blue:

;-* Snapdragon, I met Hitler in retraining. He feels really bad about what he did and wants to apologize to you for it.
:) ...o...kay...
:hitler: (in a really awful fake German accent) Snapdragon, I am truly and deeply sorry for what I did to your people.
:) o....kay....
:hitler: I don't expect you to forgive me now, but I hope one day you will.
:) o...kay...

Summer had jumped the shark. I was 17 by now and was beginning to realize this was all BS, but this was the first thing she did that I flat out did not believe. After Summer got "back to her body," I quickly changed the subject and we never spoke about it again. I had relatives who died in the Holocaust, family who lost their entire fortune and reputation. This was not cute.

Summer's inability to resist bring everything she knew even a little bit about into her crazyworld was her undoing, because she thought Judaism was cool, and when the Angel Gabriel showed up and started acting like every other stupid anime character, playing Truth or Dare and throwing pillows...

Snapdragon750 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 18, 2011

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

by astral
Summer: the original Hetalia fan

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Snapdragon750 posted:

I'll never forget her yelling “HEY HITLAAAAA!” at a friend of ours across the quad whenever she saw her

:stare:
Yeah, that is the sort of thing that would stick with you.

Auryn
Dec 20, 2004

Thermophonic Joy posted:

Thank you for this. Your entire post was singularly the funniest thing I've read in a long time. I love your sense of humour.

Please tell us more! :allears:

Have to agree here. One of the overall best posts I've read in recent memory. More, please! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PsiOsman posted:

In my limited experience with people involved in these fandoms, they always seemed to have the most horrible opinions on race and gender. How did any of them interact with people from other backgrounds?

It usually sounds like they don't! Seriously in the US there's tons of counties/towns where there's like a ton of white people and maybe one or two black people or hispanic people.

• Locked thread