Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticky wizard
Nov 19, 2008

sliders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

hey this lovely local company's logo looks familiar: http://www.localedge.com/

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i've heard the Lensman series is good, you should give it a try and let us know how it goes

i recently started a collection of four Frank Herbert books in one volume. it's a loving massive tome, starts with Whipping Star. it's okay so far.

You can get the whole Lensman omnibus for cheap but honestly the books get creepy with a eugenics breeding program to create the perfect super psychics, but given the power creep of the series it kinda makes sense? The problem is Lensman is like an old sci-fi serial turned into a novel, and there are great sequences which would work well in a short-story format but as part of a longer novelization are just out of place.

Plus the fetish for eugenics of the 1930s, and the insanity of the Nazis who pursued it, casts a long shadow over the themes of the book.

Agent of Vega by James H. Schmitz basically owes a lot to the Lensman series but was written in 1949 after World War II, and thus has no eugenics themes. Additionally, they're all basically novellas so they work fine independently and tell concise, space-opera stories.

Agent of Vega & Other Stories is like $5 on amazon too.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
lensmen are good, skylark of space series is good too.

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt
for harsh scifi i've never found anything i enjoyed and disliked more than The Gap Series

it's written by a pretty lovely fantasy author who i've always suspected is at least mostly schizo and his fantasy is unreadable crap

but the gap series is mean and cold and humans is jerks and it's good

toby
Dec 4, 2002

theflyingexecutive posted:

hey this lovely local company's logo looks familiar: http://www.localedge.com/

that's good visual recall man

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Laphroaig posted:

You can get the whole Lensman omnibus for cheap but honestly the books get creepy with a eugenics breeding program to create the perfect super psychics, but given the power creep of the series it kinda makes sense? The problem is Lensman is like an old sci-fi serial turned into a novel, and there are great sequences which would work well in a short-story format but as part of a longer novelization are just out of place.

Plus the fetish for eugenics of the 1930s, and the insanity of the Nazis who pursued it, casts a long shadow over the themes of the book.
The original Skylark of Space has some stuff like that too. The characters go to a country on another planet where the people are trying to breed out the "unfit" and are at war with another country because they believe it's made up of "unfit" people, and none of the human characters seems to have any problem with it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0 posted:

for harsh scifi i've never found anything i enjoyed and disliked more than The Gap Series

it's written by a pretty lovely fantasy author who i've always suspected is at least mostly schizo and his fantasy is unreadable crap

also he makes good jeans

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BonzoESC posted:

also he makes good jeans

j/k levi's 501s for life

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0 posted:

that's the one where the creepy old dude rapes a girl for 4.5 out of 5 books, right?

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt
ya like i said it's really good and really bad

the author definitely needs to spend a lotta time in therapy

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Lost For Words posted:

I remember really enjoying Zodiac but that was like 15 years ago. I should read it again c/d?

It's a thin book, so why not?

Remeber that part where the protagonist got chloracne from absorbing dioxin? In the book, he got pimples all over his body and then that cleared right up.

In reality:

That's before and after pictures of Ukrainian politician Viktor Yushchenko after getting dioxin poisoning, probably by a political rival. His face is still full of scars.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Bad rear end Boutique posted:

just finished Ringworld and uhhhhhh...it wasn't really all that good

Ringworld is one of those books that's important to the history of SF, but not actually that good a book when examined on its own. There's a lot of these, obviously.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
at the time, ringworld (and niven's known space work in general) was considered cutting-edge hard sf, and that was one of its appeals. forty years of developments in actual science has rendered his hard sf awfully soft and faintly ridiculous. the interstellar medium isn't dense enough to allow bussard ramships to function, dolphins are not as bright as humans, the ringworld itself needs to made of material that's stronger than the strong nuclear force to hold it together, psionics is not a rapidly developing science, humans are not descended from alien space colonists, you can't breed genes for luck, and so on

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

A lot of hard sci-fi is going to have a hard time withstanding the test of time. You're going to have to deal with more speculative aspects of science to do anything interesting and there's always a chance half of it will end up being a dead end 10 years later

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

TOOT BOOT posted:

A lot of hard sci-fi is going to have a hard time withstanding the test of time. You're going to have to deal with more speculative aspects of science to do anything interesting and there's always a chance half of it will end up being a dead end 10 years later
yeah, that's only natural, and it's why so much older hard sf is tough to read. i want to read about the future, not some really bad guesses about the future from 40 years ago. it would be less of a problem if hard-sf books had more going for them than the hardness of their sf (like good writing or compelling characters) but most don't.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FMguru posted:

at the time, ringworld (and niven's known space work in general) was considered cutting-edge hard sf, and that was one of its appeals. forty years of developments in actual science has rendered his hard sf awfully soft and faintly ridiculous. the interstellar medium isn't dense enough to allow bussard ramships to function, dolphins are not as bright as humans, the ringworld itself needs to made of material that's stronger than the strong nuclear force to hold it together, psionics is not a rapidly developing science, humans are not descended from alien space colonists, you can't breed genes for luck, and so on

the best one is that someone pointed out that the ringworld is dynamically unstable and would rip itself apart without constant oversight and corrective forces

then he came up with a solution to that and wrote all of ringworld engineers around it

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
This is why William Gibson doesn't write SF anymore. He explains this through a character in Pattern Recognition.

quote:

"Of course," he says, "we have no idea, now, of who or what the inhabitants of our future might be. In that sense, we have no future. Not in the sense that our grandparents had a future, or thought they did. Fully imagined cultural futures were the luxury of another day, one in which 'now' was of some greater duration. For us, of course, things can change so abruptly, so violently, so profoundly, that futures like our grandparents' have insufficient 'now' to stand on. We have no future because our present is too volatile."

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

FMguru posted:

it would be less of a problem if hard-sf books had more going for them than the hardness of their sf (like good writing or compelling characters) but most don't.

this is the inherent problem with all genre fiction.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Woz My Neg rear end posted:

the best one is that someone pointed out that the ringworld is dynamically unstable and would rip itself apart without constant oversight and corrective forces

then he came up with a solution to that and wrote all of ringworld engineers around it

the fun part of the sequels is how each is slightly more panicked then the last in their attempts to explain away scientific objections.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Heresiarch posted:

This is why William Gibson doesn't write SF anymore. He explains this through a character in Pattern Recognition.
yeah. gibson likes to point out that for all the alleged visionary futurism in neuromancer, he still has whole scenes play out in front of banks of pay phones. his early 21st century has direct brain interfaces, private space taxis, rebellious ai systems, and cybernetic eyes and limbs, but no cell phones.

greg bear has also given up writing sf and now does technothrillers.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the third book was suddenly full of references to fractals all over the place lol

duTrieux posted:

the fun part of the sequels is how each is slightly more panicked then the last in their attempts to explain away scientific objections.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

FMguru posted:

yeah, that's only natural, and it's why so much older hard sf is tough to read. i want to read about the future, not some really bad guesses about the future from 40 years ago. it would be less of a problem if hard-sf books had more going for them than the hardness of their sf (like good writing or compelling characters) but most don't.

yeah i honestly dont have a problem with Ringworld in regards to poo poo being scientifically inaccurate or whatever (tho "breeding for luck" was pretty loving retarded, sounds like something from a Dune prequel), its just that the story really wasn't told very well at all. lots of cool ideas, just all rushed together sloppily

sooooooooo basically anyone who still gushes over ringworld hasn't read anything by Iain M Banks, i suppose

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's kinda dumb to stop writing SF for that reason though. It's entertainment, not a crystal ball. Neuromancer is still a great book even if was almost totally wrong about what the future would look like.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I've only read the first Ringworld book but the whole book basically boiled down to 'Explore featureless wasteland filled with nothing but small settlements of savages every couple thousand miles'

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
for someone whos read startlingly little sci fi is neuromancer/gibson good to read in 2011

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

for someone whos read startlingly little sci fi is neuromancer/gibson good to read in 2011
yes, if only because you'll see where so much of the last 25 years of sf-influenced pop culture has come from.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

yeah, neuromancer is definitely good from a historical perspective. kind of a cool story, too, lots of pulpy and dorky parts but overall interesting

has gibson written any non-cyberpunk? i thought some of the space scenes in neuromancer were pretty neat

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

it holds up very well.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i've heard the Lensman series is good, you should give it a try and let us know how it goes

i recently started a collection of four Frank Herbert books in one volume. it's a loving massive tome, starts with Whipping Star. it's okay so far.

If you like your main characters to be unironic hard-fightin' womanizing mechanical and electrical engineers, your astrogation conducted with slide-rules, and your morality the purest black and white, then the Lensman series is for you.

They're interesting to read as historical relics, and to see the origins of things like the Green Lanterns and the Jedi Knights, but they're not exactly great literature.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Are the Lensman books easier to find in other countries or something? It looks like most of them have been out of print for 20 years in the US.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

that's where its charm comes from. known space as a whole (read his short story collections esp. N-Space and Playgrounds of the Mind) is sprawling and full of cool stuff and him using the puppeteers to fix stuff that he got wrong with behind the scenes machinations. also the man-kzin wars have been being written for quite a while and still are, afaik so they try and keep things up to date for the old geezer.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

FMguru posted:

yeah. gibson likes to point out that for all the alleged visionary futurism in neuromancer, he still has whole scenes play out in front of banks of pay phones. his early 21st century has direct brain interfaces, private space taxis, rebellious ai systems, and cybernetic eyes and limbs, but no cell phones.
Oh yeah, I remember in The Naked Sun there's a chapter where Lije Bailey is on a spaceship going at FTL speed to another planet, and when he decides to watch a movie it mentions the difficulty he has threading the film in the projector. Asimov could imagine spaceships but not DVD, or even VHS.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Action Jacktion posted:

Oh yeah, I remember in The Naked Sun there's a chapter where Lije Bailey is on a spaceship going at FTL speed to another planet, and when he decides to watch a movie it mentions the difficulty he has threading the film in the projector. Asimov could imagine spaceships but not DVD, or even VHS.

they "had" videotapes for a couple years before that came out

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's kinda dumb to stop writing SF for that reason though. It's entertainment, not a crystal ball. Neuromancer is still a great book even if was almost totally wrong about what the future would look like.

The thing is, Neuromancer is a great book, independent of it being SF. That's why it holds up okay.

If you're capable of writing great books without having to cover them in a layer of SF to cover up any serious flaws with Big Cool Science poo poo, then why not just do so? It's less likely that in twenty years, people are going to go nitpick how you got the future wrong.

My next read is going to be Banks' Transition, which I know is going to be good, because Banks can write good books without the superscience that drives the Culture novels.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
a guy i knew in college was writing a novel where the premise was "what if cancer were cured"

wonder how it turned out/if it got finished

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

i bet median age increased 5 to 10 years and then heart conditions took over

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

TOOT BOOT posted:

I've only read the first Ringworld book but the whole book basically boiled down to 'Explore featureless wasteland filled with nothing but small settlements of savages every couple thousand miles'

just like the game

toby
Dec 4, 2002

a guy i knew in college was writing a novel where the premise was "what if cancer were cured"

wonder how it turned out/if it got finished

more tanning and smoking, more dumping of chemicals, novel finished i win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Gaz0re
Nov 18, 2011

Heresiarch posted:

The thing is, Neuromancer is a great book, independent of it being SF. That's why it holds up okay.

If you're capable of writing great books without having to cover them in a layer of SF to cover up any serious flaws with Big Cool Science poo poo, then why not just do so? It's less likely that in twenty years, people are going to go nitpick how you got the future wrong.

My next read is going to be Banks' Transition, which I know is going to be good, because Banks can write good books without the superscience that drives the Culture novels.

Neuromancer was great until space Jah and the last few scenes and a lovely wrap-up

• Locked thread