Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

DominoDancing posted:

I don't know, I've never been in a fight except once with one of my friends, and the situation looked and developed pretty much like this one.
It is kinda funny to think that we're all so used to how fights look on TV, with super sweet upper cuts and slow motion blood splatters, that we forget that 99% of us fight by grabbing onto something and not letting go. On first watching, the scene is ridiculous, but then you think yeah I'd probably fight like that if I was a Rhodes Scholar, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

maniacripper posted:

What do you mean imagine?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rahm_Emanuel

Nah, Josh is the one that's supposed to be Rahm Emanuel.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Made it to season 5 and out of nowhere there's John Goodman and Zeljko Ivanek, I love it.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

maniacripper posted:

What do you mean imagine?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rahm_Emanuel

Toby's WAY more liberal than Emanuel. Josh is the one based on Rahm, anyway--right down to the fish incident.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Alter Ego posted:

Toby's WAY more liberal than Emanuel. Josh is the one based on Rahm, anyway--right down to the fish incident.

And then they based Barack Obama on Santos, completing the circle.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I have finished season 5 (again) and lived to tell the tale. I walk away from the experience more assured than ever that Ryan Pierce's character needs to die in a fire.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The biggest thing to blow my mind reading this thread:

You guys in america got commentary tracks.

meanwhile here in Australia I paid between $40 and $80 per season (got some on sale) and got no bonus content at all besides 10min of crappy cast interviews in season 1. :argh:

I think I need to repurchase them all.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm liking season 5 so far.

Go Whalers?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mackieman posted:

I have finished season 5 (again) and lived to tell the tale. I walk away from the experience more assured than ever that Ryan Pierce's character needs to die in a fire.

I could never tell whether his character was an experiment that failed, or an inside joke that nobody else really got.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I could never tell whether his character was an experiment that failed, or an inside joke that nobody else really got.

I think he was just a very good foil to the character of Josh Lyman.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

The biggest thing to blow my mind reading this thread:

You guys in america got commentary tracks.

meanwhile here in Australia I paid between $40 and $80 per season (got some on sale) and got no bonus content at all besides 10min of crappy cast interviews in season 1. :argh:

I think I need to repurchase them all.

poo poo, we got commentaries?

I need more info on this, who was in them? I'm a total commentary junkie.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

BklynBruzer posted:

poo poo, we got commentaries?

I need more info on this, who was in them? I'm a total commentary junkie.

Almost every disc has something. The earlier seasons only have it at the beginning and end though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Martin Sheen laughs a lot. Also Aaron Sorkin is the most boring person I've ever heard doing commentaries.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Mu Zeta posted:

Martin Sheen laughs a lot. Also Aaron Sorkin is the most boring person I've ever heard doing commentaries.

He likes to talk about himself.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Question regarding Bartlet's rant against God in "Two Cathedrals."

It's been a while since I've watched Season 2, but after watching the end of the "Miami Vice" episode "Out Where the Buses Don't Run," which uses "Brothers in Arms" as background music, I looked up the end of "Two Cathedrals," which led me to the rant.

It's incredible acting and immensely powerful...but at the very end, Bartlet looks up and goes "You get Hoynes."

Why does he say that about the VP?

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
He's pissed off at god and in his rebellion says that he won't be seeking another term. Think of it as: "You've heaped all of this misfortune on me and my friends despite all of my effort, so I'm done trying." And Hoynes is the next logical candidate at the time, so he's leaving god with Hoynes as the USA president.

That's how I took it anyway.

spamman fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Dec 15, 2011

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, the whole episode there's tension over if it's going to be Bartlett or Hoynes running. That's his way of saying 'screw you, I quit. You get Hoynes.'

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TheBigBad posted:

He likes to talk about himself.
He like to talk as if he's on coke.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

spamman posted:

He's pissed off at god and in his rebellion says that he won't be seeking another term. Think of it as: "You've heaped all of this misfortune on me and my friends despite all of my effort, so I'm done trying." And Hoynes is the next logical candidate at the time, so he's leaving god with Hoynes as the USA president.

That's how I took it anyway.

Ah! Ok, that makes sense, especially considering his scene with Ms. Landingham near the end of the episode. I always took it as "you get Hoynes on the ticket as my VP," but wow, I totally blanked.

Maybe because I always knew Bartlet was going to run. And he was going to win. :)

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

CobiWann posted:

Ah! Ok, that makes sense, especially considering his scene with Ms. Landingham near the end of the episode. I always took it as "you get Hoynes on the ticket as my VP," but wow, I totally blanked.

Maybe because I always knew Bartlet was going to run. And he was going to win. :)

As my wife (one of her several degrees is in English education) tries to tell me, apparently this is required in the application of literary rules.

That said, I wish the series had more Oliver Babish.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Mackieman posted:

That said, I wish the series had more Oliver Babish.

It's odd. There's a lot of dialogue dedicated to how Bartlet gets through White House Counsels like cheap toilet paper and then Babish re-appears 6 years later, in the same job, without anyone commenting on it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Oliver Babish was also the victim of Aaron's great character name recycling once.

I think he was an ambassador or something the first time around.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I call patooty, I've seen these episodes too many times to miss that.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Well I'm just going to have to start rewatching the series to prove you wrong :colbert:

Think about what you've done here.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Joementum posted:

Think about what you've done here.
A great service?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

kingturnip posted:

It's odd. There's a lot of dialogue dedicated to how Bartlet gets through White House Counsels like cheap toilet paper and then Babish re-appears 6 years later, in the same job, without anyone commenting on it.
There's just Larroquette, briefly, then Babish for the rest of the series. He wasn't in every episode, no, but it's not like he was replaced then reinstated.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

WoG posted:

There's just Larroquette, briefly, then Babish for the rest of the series. He wasn't in every episode, no, but it's not like he was replaced then reinstated.

There's a bit of dialogue though where they indicate Babish has just started (in the episode of his first appearance), and that in the intervening time since Tribbie left there has been at least one other counsel.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Just worked my way through all seven seasons in about a month.

What a loving show. I'm ashamed to admin I never caught it while it was on the air. I hope the show got at least an Oscar per season for the performances that the cast put in.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Wicaeed posted:

Just worked my way through all seven seasons in about a month.

What a loving show. I'm ashamed to admin I never caught it while it was on the air. I hope the show got at least an Oscar per season for the performances that the cast put in.

Oscars are for movies, but yeah they raked in the awards especially towards the beginning of the run (see: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0200276/awards).

Additionally in clicking around imdb have now discovered that Debbie Fiderer is also the voice of Ms. Frizzle from The Magic Schoolbus. Consider my mind blown...

marchantia fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 17, 2011

Caufman
May 7, 2007

kingturnip posted:

I only remember that dialog once, in the episode that introduces Babish.

And Oliver did see them through the MS controversy, so that might have been a significant commitment step.

eclectic taste
Jun 5, 2004

Future Schmidt

marchantia posted:

Oscars are for movies, but yeah they raked in the awards especially towards the beginning of the run (see: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0200276/awards).

Additionally in clicking around imdb have now discovered that Debbie Fiderer is also the voice of Ms. Frizzle from The Magic Schoolbus. Consider my mind blown...

My contribution to the trivia pool: Kathryn Joosten (Mrs. Landingham) and Lily Tomlin (Mrs. Fiderer) played sisters on Desperate Housewives

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ShakeZula posted:

There's a bit of dialogue though where they indicate Babish has just started (in the episode of his first appearance), and that in the intervening time since Tribbie left there has been at least one other counsel.

Well the comment was just to explain why John Larroquette isn't on the show anymore. And the comment was basically just to the effect that the other lawyers were butthurt Jed didn't listen to them on policy. Babish was a straight up law guy.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It all came down to casting, but if we wanna sperg about it, you can pretty easily say that Bartlet didn't respect laywers very much, and they thought they'd have his ear, and they were all wrong, so they kept leaving (which they all said in the show) but once the MS thing happened, both Bartlet and Babaish understood what their roles were in the relationship, and stuck to them, and Babaish stayed for the long hall.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I think this came up a few weeks ago in this thread, it was just a write-around. No need to conjure up new background canon.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Say what you will about Sorkin's writing, but drat he writes a good Christmas show.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

So I'm going to quote and respond to some things from the early pages in the thread because I didn't realize this thread was so long. Don't kill me.

Ytadel posted:

Anyone who loves this show but has NOT seen the 1995 Sorkin-scripted movie The American President should definitely check it out. It has an incredibly similar flavor to it, and even a lot of the same actors (including Martin Sheen in what's basically the role of Leo).

HanabaL03 posted:

This movie was my moms favorite and she always watched it when I was younger. So of course I had to watch it 10-20 times a year. Anyways, I remember reading somewhere that Sorkin's original script for that movie would have made it a 4 hour plus film, so someone gave him the idea of making a tv show after the movie.

I actually think you have it backwards, Hanabal. Aaron Sorkin (as far as I recall) pitched a West Wing-esque tv show and was shot down because the big wigs didn't think it would have mass appeal. To prove them wrong, he did American President. The movie did so well they greenlit WW.

Mandoira posted:

The episode also had the really bizarre/wtf were they thinking angle with the scantily dressed assistant who Josh said was a lawsuit waiting to happen and seemed to add nothing but a bit of eye candy. Think she stayed on as an occasional minor character during S5/6 as Toby's assistant.

That 'assistant' was actually an intern and a not-so-subtle analogy.

When Clinton was president, he forced the GOP congress to shut down the government (much like Bartlet). Because of the shutdown, non-essential personnel like the assistants (Donna, etc) were sent home and un-paid interns had to pick up the slack, allowing a now-famous Intern named Monica Lewinsky much greater access (to the President, etc) than she would have gotten otherwise.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

I just started on season 7, after taking a break during season 6, and this show has so many awesome moments, between the season 2 finale and the end of the episode Undecided (Where Santos gives the speech in the church) and numerous others, this is definitely one of the best TV shows I've ever seen. I really wish I had caught onto it when it was still on air, I just never watched it.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
You all are a bunch of assholes. I searched TV IV to see if there was a thread for Sorkin's new show, "The Newsroom," and found this thread instead. That was two hours ago thanks to Youtube clips. I think I'm going to have to rewatch The West Wing again now.

Anyway, here's what I believe is the first trailer for The Newsroom: http://www.slashfilm.com/trailer-aaron-sorkins-hbo-show-newsroom/

I'm excited to see what Sorkin can do on HBO, that trailer hooked me immediately. Just have to wait 'til June 24.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Sorkin only has one tv show idea but I do not care one Goddamn bit. So excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Roflex posted:

Say what you will about Sorkin's writing, but drat he writes a good Christmas show.

If you're talking about Noel, then hell yes he does.

• Locked thread