Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
I have finished all of my exams, and therefore my first semester of college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Found a theme song for finals week. :buddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__PU5CVSegg

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
The entire past couple of weeks have been awesome! Incoming wall of text that most of you won't read:

To start with the totally un-awesome: my wife was in a nasty car accident last Monday. Jerk in front of her decided to slam on brakes in his massive Chevy Silverado during morning rush hour to avoid some tire debris, and my wife happened to be glancing down to gently caress with her heater or something. Like those little bits of rubber were really going to hurt your jacked-up redneck truck. She was going 70+ at the time, but I don't know the physics of the whole thing.. Regardless, nobody got hurt, but her car was absolutely totaled. I took her to the ER, just to be safe, but she was fine. Just really sore. HOWEVER, that spawned an awesome chain of events! The entire thing was a huge blessing in disguise. She kinda hated her car to begin with. It was an '05 Corolla that was transferred to her from her mom sometime last year when her old car died, but the title was still held by the bank- she just took over payments. She didn't like the way it felt or drove, and her CD player hadn't worked for months. But, it was a car. BlueBook estimates put the value of the car somewhere around $9k. Now, I don't know if they were running some sort of super secret Christmas special or something, but our insurance gave us a whopping $12k for it! The best part is, my wife only owed the bank $6,200 on the car. My mother, who has been extremely generous to us during rough times, gave us $5k to put down on a new (used) car that she absolutely does not want repaid back (her husband is LOADED), and I found a 2008 Ford Focus SES with 24k miles and a squeaky clean CarFax report, and they were only asking $11,950. We got a $7k loan from the bank where her old car was being held in lien, and I negotiated down the Focus to around $11.3k, with the additional costs adding to an even $12k. So now, she's got a sweet new ride, her loan at the bank barely changed at all (exact same payment amount every month, almost the same balance) and we have an extra 5 grand in our pockets from the extra after insurance pays for the old car! The icing on the cake is that our insurance has a "first accident forgiveness" program, so our rates aren't going up at all! :dance:

Then, there was work awesomeness. I work as a Project Coordinator for an engineering firm that deals mostly with cell phone towers, but I'm really quite new- only been there since mid-October. Prior to that, I was out of work for about six months, so these days I kinda thrive on approval from my superiors. Friday, I had my first major tower modification drawings approved by the company president! And I'm not even really an engineer- my boss just noticed I had some natural talent figuring out AutoCAD while doing some routine drawings. Then, I designed the company Christmas card that's getting sent out to clients, which got a ton of compliments (even from people who didn't know I made it so they weren't just being nice). Oh, and today, in a big department-wide discussion email, I had a suggestion and my boss responded with "I like the way you think!" :D

I can't even put into words how awesome it is to have a job I actually enjoy going to every day. I don't know what I did to deserve all the recent good fortune, especially after all the absurdly lovely months prior to September, but I can't help but feeling like my luck is going to run out soon.. :ohdear:

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
Yesterday I finished registering for all my classes, and found out that my score on an AP test in high school counts for six units. I'm gonna have at least one awesome history teacher, and I finished all my finals. Today I got an iPhone as an early Christmas present, and all my friends and my brother are coming home for winter break. This is the best week ever.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
I got an apology by my major's coordinator about the sexist interview fiasco, and he told me he'd support me with my thesis and that I shouldn't worry, with the honors I'm going to get and my grades I will for sure find a great job. Such a nice guy.

Danny Bro Pty Ltd
Sep 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
One more week till the summer school break! It goes for two weeks, and I'm taking a plane to Perth. I'm spending Christmas with Dad for the first time in years, so I'm very happy.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
All my meetings for today got cancelled, which means I can focus on this paper I have due at 5 :buddy:
And I got a 95 on a term paper that I wrote start-to-finish the night before it was due (I hear this is a common theme for this particular assignment) :buddy:
And my semester is done after today :buddy: Which means I can get back to research tomorrow :v:

C-Euro has a new favorite as of 22:03 on Dec 14, 2011

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Took a day off to do Christmas shopping, which is likely going to fall through, but there is always the weekend. There's something about a weekday break that's just so refreshing. I slept in, ate cereal while watching the Simpsons, worked on career goals for next year. Still another three hours before I would have gotten home on a normal day, much more tired and cranky. (And being off today means I won't run out of work to do tomorrow. :))

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
FInished Fall semester a few hours ago. Hopefully, I'm a couple of steps closer towards entering the nursing program. Had some In-n-Out afterwards and I plan to play Deus Ex for the rest of the day. :)

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011
Today at work I had an old woman say that I was gorgeous, a gift to humanity, and that I should thank my mother for bringing me into this world.

The very next customer was an middle-aged Vietnamese lady who tried to get me to date her 19-year old gay son.

me irl

MongolArcher
Jan 2, 2009

TShields posted:

The entire past couple of weeks have been awesome! Incoming wall of text that most of you won't read:

WORDS THAT I NO poo poo ACTUALLY READ

I can't even put into words how awesome it is to have a job I actually enjoy going to every day. I don't know what I did to deserve all the recent good fortune, especially after all the absurdly lovely months prior to September, but I can't help but feeling like my luck is going to run out soon.. :ohdear:

Dudegoon, after all the crap I've read in these forums, you have about 80 years worth of good luck and happiness on back order. So embrace the good fortune, share a little love, and enjoy the hell out of it! :glomp: I'm glad that your life is doing so much better!

May 1, 2008

ಠ_ಠ
I finally got the phone I've been waiting months for! :woop:

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

This actually happened last night at work.

I deliver pizzas, which can be a pretty damned boring job. But last night I was driving through a neighborhood and was looking for the address, when I saw two girls (had to be 14-15 years old) standing stock still in a front yard. As I got closer, they both turned to look at my car, then starting running at my car full tilt. As I got closer, I saw they had on makeup to look like zombies, and were wearing torn up Christmas sweaters.

On my way back past the house, they were chasing another car down the street.

Rock on Christmas zombies.

e: BTW, totally going to try and make a gimmick band called Christmas Zombies.

Alternative pants has a new favorite as of 22:32 on Dec 15, 2011

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Alternative pants posted:

Rock on Christmas zombies.

Now that's awesome.

GimpFace
Nov 11, 2005

cuppa?
My boss told me if I keep doing what I am doing that I can expect to be earning circa $800 a day within 6 months.

loving awesome.

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'
2 hours left in the gnarliest semester of community college ever. :science:

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

MongolArcher posted:

Dudegoon, after all the crap I've read in these forums, you have about 80 years worth of good luck and happiness on back order. So embrace the good fortune, share a little love, and enjoy the hell out of it! :glomp: I'm glad that your life is doing so much better!

Thanks, man- means a lot. :respek:

Can't wait to see what the future holds with this place!

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
I finally get to go home for Christmas break today. That is all.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Today I felt useless and a failure, then I remembered I still had my health and parents who loved me unconditionally. And a puppy.

llbdtiberio
Mar 27, 2010
Day started off poo poo when my Uni took money from my account without them having told me, joke's on them as the boss of my department is fighting on my behalf against this after I've spent approx. 4 months trying to get stuff sorted financially. Makes you fell all warm inside hearing your boss screaming at someone that isn't you over the phone. Day is also awesome as I have a second date with a cute girl who's coming over for dinner and I'm trying out this recipe from a fellow goon.
And I got Grey Goose vodka chilling in the fridge with some fresh limes :cheers:.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.
Yesterday, my day was great because an anonymous benefactor offered to buy me an account. :)

Today, my day is great because it is the first day of my winter break and my cat is cuddling in my lap. :3

Vigilante Banana
Jul 28, 2010

Low five! Yaaaaaay
So not today, but all events are recent. Yesterday, one of my close friends from high school sent me a text message. We haven't really spoken lately, and she's not really one to make efforts to contact me (I'm usually the one who asks if she has free time to catch up), so I was a little surprised. Just out of the blue, she wanted to ask me if I would sing at her wedding. She and her dude aren't engaged yet, but they're planning on it. I almost cried.

Yesterday was my last final. I'm officially done with the semester, and I'm officially done with a major that I absolutely hate and classes that drive me insane. Screw chemistry, overachievement, and marketability. I don't need a science-humanity double major. I'mma just study history from here on out.

On Tuesday I had a voice hearing with my choir director. He complimented me on my solo at our concert last weekend and raved about my voice the whole time. After the concert I'd been worried that he was disappointed with me because he didn't say anything.

And last weekend, at my a cappella group's Christmas party, our director (different guy) told me that he'd recommended me to the jazz instructor for a pop cover band that the professor's trying to start. My friend is on a career path that will hopefully lead to Broadway, and when I mentioned that I'd wanted to do the same thing for the longest time, he got frustrated and told me I should have stuck with it.

Lately I've been so discouraged about my life, my friends, my future, and I've been convinced that I'm just not good at the things I used to be great at. This last week has definitely boosted my self-esteem.

fake edit: oh yeah I got paid yesterday so now I can go buy my brothers' Christmas gifts and get coffee.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It's my first full time job, I have my own apartment which I moved in a few weeks ago, a tax rebate came yesterday and even after Chrismas shopping and all bills paid off I have over £1k spare. I thought life was going to be hard. Turns out it won't be.

freros
Aug 3, 2008
I have completed 2 exams the last week, finally started saving up some cash for my own apartment (which will also give me a small tax deduction), and I have finished shopping for christmas gifts.

Now I am on christmas break, so I can watch Community and play videogames.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
The other girl that was interviewed along with me, and was also treated in a sexist way, helped me write a letter to our director so he'd be aware of the events.

We showed it to him and he was PISSED. He might even not renew the contract with the company next year.

He also told me I was his star student, that he would have loved to be my thesis advisor (he's the rector of the University now) and apologized a lot to me. Moreso since he told me I should apply to that program.

Coming from him, I feel really, really great. He's one of the most important inspirations in my life.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Had a really fun night at the bar with a bunch of my friends, came home afterwords and took a really great poo poo :buddy: It's the little things in life.

E: While there I gave them my card for a tab and they mistakenly gave it back to another person, but I went back this afternoon and it had been returned!

C-Euro has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Dec 17, 2011

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.
Had my initial interview with immigration and my petition got approved! Now I'm a permanent resident and don't have to worry about leaving my husband. :shobon:

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.
Today my day was awesome because someone offered to buy me a title and avatar once I think of one.

I feel welcome on this site. :)

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

My girlfriend is going to be at her sister's for Christmas, so we celebrated together today. She got me a Nerf Sword, a Lego kit, a badass vaporizer, a 16oz man-chalice for storing all my beer caps, and is now in the process of making a GIANT polish dinner! It's smelling so good.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

Polish food is the best food. I get to have it all the time since my family is Polish.

Also, another reason why this day was awesome: I got a call from my boyfriend and it turns out my friends and I are going to have a Christmas get-together on Tuesday. This makes me very happy.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
My best friend is going to reject the internship offer because the company is sexist as hell. He's truly the best.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I truly hope that company goes under. That's no way to be a successful business.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Today was the first full day I've been home from college, and it honestly just feels really nice to sleep in my own bed again. I also went to this really really nice bakery/candy shop in town and purchased a ton of delicious food and candy. If I weren't exercising daily now, I would be concerned.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer

Lady of the Beech posted:

I truly hope that company goes under. That's no way to be a successful business.

At least the branch in my country is really awful, and they're going to get yelled at by my director, moreso since he got elected as rector. The company as a whole is one of the most, if not the most important one in its field.

I think the contract they have with my school is going to disappear! So that at least makes me happy.

On topic: I'm baking a black cherry/strawberry pie and it is going to be the best pie. I will also bake an apple one tomorrow!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
TShields got a new job. After all the poo poo I read about him enduring in the retail thread, this is awesome.

My soda is on sale this week so I get to stock up!

Omgawd
Apr 7, 2011
After a month of miserably debating with myself over whether or not I should quit my job, I finally convinced myself that its not only the right thing to do, but its the only thing to do. I always focus on negatives, so actually feeling good about something like this is almost impossible for me.

Also my dad completely supports my decision, which is awesome but makes me think he's taken up drugs or slipped into senility.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Getting my very first smartphone (an EVO) on Monday, and I get to finish the final step of my impending promotion at work Tuesday.

So yeah, nothing that officially happened today, but still :woop:

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I loving GRADUATED. FINALLY.

edit- and my graduation gift was my dad paying my $2,800 car repair bill in full :woop:

PERMACAV 50 has a new favorite as of 00:27 on Dec 19, 2011

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

High five to all of you.

I'll think of a reason why this day is/will be awesome when it's not in the morning and I just woke up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caramaline
Aug 4, 2006

Takin' a dirt nap with baby Jesus
The in-laws went to the US to do their christmas shopping and brought me back some cherry coke.
So good.