Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

No Pun Intended posted:

Thanks for the review! Saga sounds pretty boss, and I like gripping beast as a company; might have to put this on the wish list.

Just one question though, how many models is the average warband/game played with?

6 point warbands seem to be the norm, but we had a fun quick game with 4 points.

Heres how the point system works.

Hearthguards (elite warriors) are 1 point for 4 troops.
Warriors are 1 point for 8 troops
Levy are 1 point for 12 (to note levy do not generate Saga dice in game)
And you get a Warlord for free.

We played 4 point games and we had 25 troops each- 8 Hearthguard, 16 Warriors and 1 Warlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I'm thinking about picking up Saga for a samurai conversion, it sounds perfect for a quick and simple skirmish game.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

the core rules will work for any period,but the difficulty will ebdesigning your own battle boards.. Will take some serious play testing. You should check the forum linked on Gripping Beasts web site to see what others are up to. They have lots of plans for official lists although they are concentrating on Europe first. They told me they were going back in time first of all working on Anglo Saxons and earlier vikings then Saxons and Arthurian/Romano British. Then they hope to cross the channel and do Bretons, Rus, Varangians/Byzantine and El Cid era Spanish and Moors etc. Funnily enough Gripping Beast have ranges covering all these periods and forces!

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
I just (almost) finished my Sung Chinese army for DBA. There's a horde missing, because I couldn't bother painting it, but it'll end up painted eventually.

They're an Essex armypack. Nice enough models. Monopose, but cheap, and it's not like there's lots of manufacturers competing to make Sung models.
The camp/bua is scratchbuilt and meant to look like city fortifications of the Sung era.

These should give the Mongols something to think about.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Cool camp, a well done camp goes such a long way to make a DBA army stick out.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They look great even monopose TBH. Well done. I need to get off my rear end and finish my Romans....

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Since there's at least a couple of people here interested in Cold War gaming, hopefully someone can help with a more tactical kind of question, since I'm not really sure where else I could ask on SA and have been wondering while thinking about Nato vs Warsaw Pact gaming.

In the event of WW3 starting, or the cold war getting hotter in a limited way... what on earth were the American, French and British forces in West Berlin during the cold war meant to actually do?

They're surrounded by East Germany, facing their military forces across the wall and Soviet troops are presumably able to turn up in a hurry, so what the heck was meant to happen?

Were they supposed to hold out until NATO forces get across East Germany and meet them, or were they really a token force intended to just sit tight, surrounded, and hope that in order to avoid civilian casualties West Berlin is left alone while T-72s roll across Europe? Or was there some kind of allied plan to keep an air corridor open to West Berlin by force?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They were there to... uhhh....

I dunno. I guess provide a FOP that was un-nukable?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Historical consensus seems to be that Europe was lost in the event of WWIII and the units stationed there should just make the Soviets' life difficult for a few weeks.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
My (limited) understanding is that they were essentially sacrificial. They provided insurance that the Soviets could not annex West Berlin without triggering conflict with NATO, and they were both a moral boost to the West Germans, and a PR exercise on the world stage.
However, in the event of World War III they would have been dead probably within the first minutes or hours.

Here is probably the best military history thread on SA. It's hidden away in Ask/Tell.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Thanks!

There's a actually a sometimes interesting cold war thread in TFR, but it gets rather more technical than I can understand at times, and is focussed on air power.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 25, 2011

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

There's an interesting book by retired NATO general, Sir John Hackett, entitled The Third World War: August 1985, that details a hypothetical European conflict between NATO and Warsaw Pact forces. According to it, units like those stationed in West Berlin were supposed to disrupt C&C, lay ambushes, and generally bog down the Soviet advance long enough for NATO to reinforce their defenses of the Fulda Gap and North German Plain, which were the two routes by which Warsaw Pact forces could launch a mechanized attack against NATO.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Here's some more random up to date progress shots on the Crusaders I started two pages back. I'm using cobalt chrome wire sharpened to a point with a dremmel now for the lances.

Here is where I am over all:

And random WIP shots

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Very nice black cloth on those knights. How did you get the folds to stand out so well?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Very nice black cloth on those knights. How did you get the folds to stand out so well?

The black is really easy actually. Base coat plain black then I highlight with VMC German Grey then I use GW Adeptus Battle Grey to fine line over that, It'll look a bit too harsh and chalky but then I use a thin wash of GW Badab Black over the whole lot to act like a filter to blend it all together. Easypeasy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yay Track & Confirm says 300 Russians finally arrived!

Except they aren't at my house. Fuuuuuuck

e: Maybe one of the neighbors has the box? Uugh.

e2: ...and a day later they're in my mailbox. USPS :argh:

moths fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Dec 3, 2011

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
If anyone is interested in Flames of War, I'm selling two of the hardcover books since I don't have time to play the game. They are Turning Tide and the hardcover rulebook. I'm asking $35, shipped for them.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Oxford Comma posted:

If anyone is interested in Flames of War, I'm selling two of the hardcover books since I don't have time to play the game. They are Turning Tide and the hardcover rulebook. I'm asking $35, shipped for them.

$35 shipped for both? Because okay.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Colonial Air Force posted:

$35 shipped for both? Because okay.

Yeah I probably should've said each. That's what happens when you post before you have your coffee. :)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Oxford Comma posted:

Yeah I probably should've said each. That's what happens when you post before you have your coffee. :)

Ah. Well, nevermind then.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

big_g posted:

Here's some more random up to date progress shots on the Crusaders I started two pages back. I'm using cobalt chrome wire sharpened to a point with a dremmel now for the lances.

Here is where I am over all:

And random WIP shots

That's amazing. What scale are they?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Those crusaders look really good, and I absolutely love the bases. I'd guess that they're 12mm or 15mm (based on the comparison with the peg-hole in the blister pack).

Cross-posting a photo from the miniatures thread!

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Speaking of Flames of war, why isn't there a mega-thread for it? Seems popular enough.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Numlock posted:

Speaking of Flames of war, why isn't there a mega-thread for it? Seems popular enough.

This is the megathread for it.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
You are like some sort of cat lady but instead of hording cats in your house you horde posts about historical war games in this thread. :colbert:

Also where the hell do I get 1:144 Hawker Typhoons aside from battlefront or some random eBay auction (gently caress paypal).

Numlock fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 10, 2011

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Numlock posted:

You are like some sort of cat lady but instead of hording cats in your house you horde posts about historical war games in this thread. :colbert:

Also where the hell do I get 1:144 Hawker Typhoons aside from battlefront or some random eBay auction (gently caress paypal).

There aren't even enough posts in this thread about FoW to make a good FoW thread.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

Pierzak posted:

That's amazing. What scale are they?

Those are 15mm Later Crusaders by Mirliton. One of the nicer manufacturers for 15mm.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

R.S. Gumby posted:

Those are 15mm Later Crusaders by Mirliton. One of the nicer manufacturers for 15mm.
Ah, that explains it. For some reason I thought they were 10mm (probably the bases?) and I was like :tviv: those are the best 10mm minis I've seen :aaaaa:

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
My brother is going do get me a copy of saga for me as a (late) birthday present. I blame this thread for my choice.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I think I have some sort of mental health problem.

I just picked up TooFatLardies new version of their classic WW2 company level (like Flames of War) rule set I Aint Been Shot Mum (British readers of a certain age will get the reference) and it looks ace fun. Very scenario orientated like most TFL games and uses their usual card driven mechanic and blinds systems.
Thing is despite having loads of 10mm armies and 2 28mm armies, Im now considering doing this game in 15mm!

What is wrong with me?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Serotonin posted:

I think I have some sort of mental health problem.

I just picked up TooFatLardies new version of their classic WW2 company level (like Flames of War) rule set I Aint Been Shot Mum (British readers of a certain age will get the reference) and it looks ace fun. Very scenario orientated like most TFL games and uses their usual card driven mechanic and blinds systems.

I've never understood how TFL systems are supposed to work. I've got a copy of their Napoleonic skirmish rules hanging around somewhere, and found it impenetrable as they seem to assume you know what 'Blinds' or 'Tea Breaks' etc are.

Can someone provide a dunces guide? Cause narrative/scenario themed gaming is cool.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

BeigeJacket posted:

I've never understood how TFL systems are supposed to work. I've got a copy of their Napoleonic skirmish rules hanging around somewhere, and found it impenetrable as they seem to assume you know what 'Blinds' or 'Tea Breaks' etc are.

Can someone provide a dunces guide? Cause narrative/scenario themed gaming is cool.

This is a great article on their card driven system

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/?p=672

Its very simple, although some of their earlier rule sets werent always the most simply worded.

Blinds are basically a hidden deployment system. Again very simple.

Instead of deploying your troops, you basically deploy a number of blinds, which are basically counters a few inches in size that represent a platoon or squad (you nominate before hand obviously which each blind refers to). You may also get some dummy blinds too depending on scenario or army.

In an attack/defend game, pretty much all secenery counts as a blind for the defending troops too, so the attacker never knows if that farmhouse or copse is empty or contains a MG42 squad in ambush.

You basically move the blinds around until they are spotted (theres a clever and simple spotting system) or until you choose to reveal them or open fire from them, then your troops are deployed on the table. The dummy blinds can be used to cause diversions or to make scouting probes (if your dummy blind has been spotting opponents then is spotted itself and is revealed to be a dummy, you think of it as a small scouting force that has basically scarpered and rejoined its main group if it gets revelaed, if that makes sense). Its honestly a very simple system and adds a huge amount of tension and fun to the games.

Heres a good battle report with a better over view of blinds

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/?p=514

Tea break is the card thats is pulled fromt he deck to end the turn. If troops havent been activated due to no ome pulling their card they get to do some basic things like shoot or move when its pulled.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 18, 2011

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Serotonin posted:

What is wrong with me?

It's par for the course in this hobby. I have a 28mm samurai army and two 6mm samurai armies and I still started to consider a 10mm samurai army posted for sale on TMP. I need that third army like a need a bullet in my head.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Serotonin posted:

blinds

Sounds exactly like the way genestealers are handled in Space Hulk. I love Space Hulk! Thanks for the writeup.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

As part of my Xmas clearout/rationalisation of unpainted lead I have the following Artizan 28mm WW2 Americans for sale:

http://www.artizandesigns.com/list.php?man=15&cat=105&sub=143&page=1

SWW306 U.S. Infantry 60 mm mortar (1 & crew) X 1

SWW370 US Tank Crew (4) X 1

SWW350 US Command II (Winter) X 1

SWW351 US Infantry in Greatcoats with Rifles X 2

SWW352 US Infantry in Greatcoats with Carbines X 1

SWW354 US Infantry in Greatcoats w S.M.G X 1

SWW355 US Infantry in Greatcoats with Rifles II X 1

SWW356 US Infantry in Greatcoats .30cal Team X 3

SWW357 US Infantry in Greatcoats Bazooka Team X 1

SWW360 57mm AT Gun with Crew X 1

They have all been flashed and based on metal washers, or larger plastic bases for the 30cals and mortars (easily popped off if you dont fancy that) and the 57mm gun is built. 1 or 2 have been undercoated black, btu the rest are in the raw! I make that 51 figures

RRP of £72, yours for £50 posted (UK obv)

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

:stare:

http://ilovewargameing.21.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=2140

If you've spent any time on TMP, you've probably seen this guys unbelievable set up.

To instantly feel inferior click on anything labelled 'Joes pics' on their forum.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 18, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Jesus loving christ.....

You weren't kidding.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I want to kill Col. Kurtz on that.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Looks like Flames of War is getting a Third Edition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WRPM9pY3dA&list=UUh8SouwQ46VGBbvTursaitA&index=3&feature=plcp

EDIT: And it's free if you have the hardcover 2nd edition book. Also doesn't invalidate current books which is good, because I just bought Red Bear.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Colonial Air Force posted:

Looks like Flames of War is getting a Third Edition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WRPM9pY3dA&list=UUh8SouwQ46VGBbvTursaitA&index=3&feature=plcp

EDIT: And it's free if you have the hardcover 2nd edition book. Also doesn't invalidate current books which is good, because I just bought Red Bear.

So would it be best for a new player to wait until third edition drops, or should I hop in whenever and just upgrade the core book? Gotta say it's nice how they're doing the free upgrade and all though, that's a classy move.