Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

DJ Commie posted:

Our Infiniti G20 is close to the Primera P10/P11, that generation Sentra is beam axle and not really related, runs a QR25 rather than a SR/GA.

The P11 Primera/G20 switched to a beam axle too.

The US market B14 Sentra is roughly equivalent to a European N15 Almera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

New rocker cover gasket as its been weeping for loving years and I didnt really give a poo poo. also added 3 PSI for a total of 12 :v:

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Thunderhill, for the first time! (ok yes, it was Sunday)

Observations:
a) Thunderhill is more fun than any track in SoCal (exhibit A: turn 5)
b) Hooked On Driving is an incredibly well organized group that has amazing instructors, and I recommend them unreservedly
c) The Dodge Challenger is huge :stare: (it is also a close match for the Cayman S on this track despite giving up 1,000+ lbs)
d) When your car starts smoking furiously, immediately move off-line and possibly off-track
e) Watch for debris when the track is reopened after someone goes into a wall because of d), because 295/30/19 semi-slicks are expensive
f) If you own a fancy Boss 302 Mustang and ostentatiously examine telemetry on your laptop during session downloads, you'd better be fast. If you are instead completely incapable of pointing by much faster cars, then you are a cock gobbler of the highest order

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Put a new control arm on my brothers car. The old one was so bad that the bushings fell out as soon as the control arm came out. Tomorrow it gets an alignment!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Put a new fuel pump in my GTI. The original one had this o-ring sticking out of it.

No wonder it never seemed to run quite right and it is definitely a lot faster with the new one. I probably should have checked the fuel pressure a long time ago but it didn't seem to run that bad.

Finally put on the shift knob and boot I've had forever. The shift pattern lights up too but I haven't hooked it up.

I have some e code headlights but they didn't fit well at all so I ordered the euro radiator support and front bumper so all the lights will fit correctly. I justified it by telling myself I needed a new bumper anyway.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Billy Tully posted:

Put a new fuel pump in my GTI. The original one had this o-ring sticking out of it.

No wonder it never seemed to run quite right and it is definitely a lot faster with the new one. I probably should have checked the fuel pressure a long time ago but it didn't seem to run that bad.

Finally put on the shift knob and boot I've had forever. The shift pattern lights up too but I haven't hooked it up.

I have some e code headlights but they didn't fit well at all so I ordered the euro radiator support and front bumper so all the lights will fit correctly. I justified it by telling myself I needed a new bumper anyway.

I am a big fan of reverse on the right side of the gearbox but that is a wonky rear end 5-speed layout

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Nodoze posted:

I am a big fan of reverse on the right side of the gearbox but that is a wonky rear end 5-speed layout

Yea you push it down to put it in reverse. Most VWs are like that, even the air cooled ones.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Billy Tully posted:

Yea you push it down to put it in reverse. Most VWs are like that, even the air cooled ones.

Usually when I hear 5-speed I think

code:
1-3-5
2-4-R
And stupidly enough I actually meant to say reverse on the left side, where reverse actually is on that gearbox, not the right :doh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You added a battery tie-down to that after the picture was taken, right?

Holy crap I should follow this thread more. As others said, there's a lip on the bottom of the battery - the bolt you see at the bottom tightens a clamp into that lip. The other side doesn't have a bolt, but does have a fixed clamp. But once that bolt is tightened, the battery ain't going anywhere.

Tightening that bolt is a pain in the rear end, I don't own enough extensions to get the ratchet above the top of the battery. The A/C receiver/dryer sits next to the bracket/clamp, so I can basically turn it 1/16 of a turn at a time. I'm going to pick up a decent set of tools pretty soon (probably Craftsman) instead of these lovely Harbor Freight shitpiles that keep breaking if I breathe on them.

Originally there was a plastic cover/shield on the battery - I never put it back on after I replaced the terminals. Seemed pretty pointless.

But to contribute - I got a locking gas cap instead of fixing the broken gas door latch ($12 vs a $35 cable + an hour of fishing it through the interior and up to the trunk release - same cable for both), and I broke 155k. Big whoop. One of these days I'll actually replace the cable, but a few days ago I came out of work to a very empty gas tank (it was half full when I parked)..

One of these days I'll get around to replacing the cracked front bumper. And replace the shift knob, the one on there now is just disgusting.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 18, 2011

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Changed the oil, filter, and finally had a weekend that wasnt raining so I could wash the bastard.

Also slowly removing the die-cut vinyl stickers....but their imprint still remains. Never again will I put a Burton Snowboards logo on a painted surface.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Nodoze posted:

Usually when I hear 5-speed I think

code:
1-3-5
2-4-R
And stupidly enough I actually meant to say reverse on the left side, where reverse actually is on that gearbox, not the right :doh:

I prefer it on the left, after having owned both patterns. It feels much better when parallel parking since you can go reverse to first and back very quickly.

The wonkiest Ive seen is a Mercedes 5 speed box with reverse on the bottom left.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Crustashio posted:

I prefer it on the left, after having owned both patterns. It feels much better when parallel parking since you can go reverse to first and back very quickly.

The wonkiest Ive seen is a Mercedes 5 speed box with reverse on the bottom left.

code:
1-2-4
R-3-5
Like that? :psyduck:

At that point you might as well just flip 1 and R and have a dogbone

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
What you're thinking of is called a "dogleg-pattern," but the MB pattern they're describing is more like:
code:
  1 3 5
,-|-|-'
R 2 4
Dogleg is:
code:
R 2 4
|-|-|
1 3 5

The Rocket Salad fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 18, 2011

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I thought the MB pattern (190E Cosworth, right?) was set up to align 2 and 3, which I guess is the most common shift (either direction) when racing.

There's a video segment on Top Gear of James May doing it wrong, but I can't find it right now.

Threash
May 18, 2003
I put my winter wheels/tires on finally.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

ExecuDork posted:

I thought the MB pattern (190E Cosworth, right?) was set up to align 2 and 3, which I guess is the most common shift (either direction) when racing.

There's a video segment on Top Gear of James May doing it wrong, but I can't find it right now.

Yeah, the dogleg pattern (which isn't really just a merc thing, I know some e30 m3s and other euro cars had it) is because you never really need to shift into 1st while racing. It seems like it would be a fun pattern to have on a track car, last time I tracked I was 2-3 the whole time.

My friends C230 (a terrible car in many aspects) has the first shift pattern rocket salad posted. It's just really wierd, but that entire car is wierd. I've never seen a foot pedal ebrake on a standard car, but they did it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Crustashio posted:

I've never seen a foot pedal ebrake on a standard car, but they did it.

What do you mean by "standard"? Ford did that a lot.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

Usually (old cars and trucks excluded) a manual transmission meant you had an e-brake handle rather than an e-brake pedal.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Crustashio posted:

Yeah, the dogleg pattern (which isn't really just a merc thing, I know some e30 m3s and other euro cars had it)

:eng101: Like the Maserati Biturbo!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Splizwarf posted:

Standard meaning manual transmission.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

The Rocket Salad posted:

What you're thinking of is called a "dogleg-pattern," but the MB pattern they're describing is more like:
code:
  1 3 5
,-|-|-'
R 2 4
Dogleg is:
code:
R 2 4
|-|-|
1 3 5

I know the pattern, I just messed up the name. I knew it had dog in the name though :downs:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Threash posted:

I put my winter wheels/tires on finally.

That rear oddset. :gonk:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Splizwarf posted:

Full size trucks still have the parking brake on the floor. As does the Toyota Avalon and Ford Crown Victoria, though neither of those are available with a manual transmission.

GM still puts them on the floor on their mid size and larger cars.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Even with an automatic transmission I find floor mounted parking brakes a massive pain in the arse for parallel parking in steeper areas.

Its particularly aggravating on my Nissan because the manual version has a normal hand parking brake and its not as though there is any lack of room on the transmission tunnel.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Ziploc posted:

Yeah. I know winter wheels and all but man that looks goofy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

dissss posted:

Even with an automatic transmission I find floor mounted parking brakes a massive pain in the arse for parallel parking in steeper areas.

Its particularly aggravating on my Nissan because the manual version has a normal hand parking brake and its not as though there is any lack of room on the transmission tunnel.

As long as the release isn't to stomp on it even more, then it's not so bad. You just have to reach quickly and pull the release.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Why would a pedal e-brake be a pain? I like them a poo poo ton more than handle brakes, because my hand is still available for the shifter. Right foot on brakes, clutch, shift to neutral, e-brake, then shift to 1st after the car's off. It's a lot less complicated than it sounds when typed out.

Ninjedit: ^^^^ What kimbo said, too.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

As long as the release isn't to stomp on it even more, then it's not so bad. You just have to reach quickly and pull the release.

On my one the release is to stomp on it some more :/

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

dissss posted:

On my one the release is to stomp on it some more :/

My grandmothers (auto) Sienna has it this way too

Threash
May 18, 2003

Ziploc posted:

You know what, I didn't even really notice that somehow when I was changing the tires since I was paying more attention to how the tires themselves looked compared to the regular ones. Now I'll have to go look in person and join in at making fun of my poor car.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
:sigh:

Swallowed my pride, pulled over, and collected my rear bumper.

I loving HATE road salt. Rusted straight off... Just the bumper beam itself though, thankfully the mounting points are rock solid.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Standard meaning manual transmission.

Uh, derp; I feel retarded. I was reading it as "normal car" not "standard transmission".

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Sponge! posted:

:sigh:

Swallowed my pride, pulled over, and collected my rear bumper.

I loving HATE road salt. Rusted straight off... Just the bumper beam itself though, thankfully the mounting points are rock solid.

Poor wagovan. Even in the land of no rust, the (free!) wagovan I had for a while had rust - they're just susceptible. Looks like it should be an easy fix.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Changed the fuel filter and PCV valve on my Tacoma. I'll be completely honest here: I have never changed the fuel filter in the 10 years I've owned my truck. 117,000 miles on it, and it ran like a champ until it started stumbling just recently. I am always tuning up my cars religiously, but it just never occurred to me that I should probably change the fuel filter on my Tacoma at some point. Every other routine maintenance was always performed but the filter. Stupid? Very. I know.

Went online since I didn't know where it was, and my god, the responses from some people at certain Toyota forums. They made the job sound like I'd have to bring in a Navajo medicine man to bless the impossible work ahead, remove my drivetrain and driver side fender, perform certain yoga positions to contort myself into the right position to see the filter, and have about 72 universals and 79 extensions on hand to get at it underneath the intake manifold.

I was done in about 20 minutes, tops, without any bullshit involved.

Sure, it's in a tight spot, but you remove the front driver wheel, and there it is. One 17mm socket, a ratchet, and a long extension with a universal for the top bracket bolt was all that I used. I swear, some people are either too stupid to look at stuff logically before going to work on it, or they just want instant gratification, so they shove their hands into tight spots, scrape the gently caress out of their knuckles and fingers, and then complain about it being too hard and stupid because they can't take their time and be patient.

But boy, that fuckin' 2.4 liter Toyota engine is purring now :allears:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

This is more of what I did for my car rather than to it, but I bought a set of flat stoppers from race ramps for the Shelby since it will be parked all winter. Pictures and impressions to follow once they arrive.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Catching up with maintenance to keep my 1980's turbo shitfleet going. I replaced my XT's rear brake hoses, ordering from elsewhere after rockauto sent me circa 1989 brake hoses. My aftermarket exhaust was hitting the driveshaft support and was apparently made for a FWD XT, I could remove the driveshaft to fit it or have a muffler shop modify it; for now I'll use the OEM exhaust. I haven't really driven my XT since the summer but it should be ready for daily use again. Although it would be better if I had a daily driver made this century.

I bet Subaru is still producing this exhaust pipe dressup piece from the 80's with only a few tweaks, just like their engines and transmissions :haw:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Got an EVAP related code today ("vacuum cut valve bypass valve"). Crawled under the car and... well, I thought I got rid of all the gifts from the previous owner. I was wrong.

What the gently caress?! Did you really have to get every loving drop of gas in there every time you filled up? :argh:

The FSM's troubleshooting procedure for P1491 mentions a small EVAP leak can also cause this code, as can a damaged pressure sensor. Guess I get to replace a few hoses and cross my fingers. :downs:

edit: attempted to pull the nasty hoses off. They pretty much crumbled to dust the moment I touched them, and left some horrible horrible crap on my hands. Thankfully only one hose is a bitch to get to, and it can be accessed by removing the back seat and an access panel (better than dropping the tank). Also getting an EGR code as well (for low/no flow detected), though the extent of my troubleshooting on that so far has been to move the EGR valve by hand. It moves easily and the engine dies instantly if I open it fast, and goes into a loping/bouncing idle if I open it slowly, so the valve itself and passages seem to be in decent shape. The car passed smog 6 weeks ago with no issues, and it's not stumbling or hesitating at all, so the EGR stuff can sit on the back burner until I clear up the evap codes.

The EGR code appeared at the same time as the EVAP code; I know they share a common vacuum source, so there's a very tiny chance they may be related. Even if the hoses had nothing to do with the codes I'm getting, it's pretty obvious they needed attention. I did try removing the charcoal canister; no liquid in it, so that's (maybe) a plus.

edit 2: replaced the rotten hoses today and reset the ECU. Driven about 80 miles since then and no CEL, and no pending codes. I'm somewhat expecting the EGR code to reappear the next time I have it on the highway, but I'll tackle that if and when that happens.

another edit: 250 miles since I replaced the hoses, 70 of which were nonstop highway. No CEL, no pending codes. loving weird.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Dec 23, 2011

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Finally found a brake hose that looked perfect on the outside but had an internal clog. I suppose it delaminated on the inside or something. I was only getting a trickle out of the bleeder until I swapped hoses. I'd heard that it was possible but had never actually seen it happen.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tired of my yellowed/almost opaque headlights and the lack of useful light on the road. One 3M headlight polishing kit later, night turns into motherfucking day. :clint: The low beams now throw more usable light than the high beams did previously. I can actually see the beam pattern now.

Low beams

High beams

Need to pick up something to block the UV/prevent them from hazing for awhile tomorrow, but drat if this wasn't cheaper and easier than replacing the headlamps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

some texas redneck posted:

Need to pick up something to block the UV/prevent them from hazing for awhile tomorrow, but drat if this wasn't cheaper and easier than replacing the headlamps.

http://www.lamin-x.com/Nissan-Sentra-95-99-Headlight-Covers-p/n005.htm