Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Didn't do too great with the GOG sale, I bought six games. I kinda stuck to my "wishlist only" goal; there were two or three games on my list that I didn't really want right now, but I found two or three games that I had never added to my wishlist that I wanted, so it pretty much evened out, I think.

One of the games I got was Serious Sam: The Second Encounter. I had fun with the first one, so I went ahead and started this one to see if I can get it out of the way real quick. It's even better than the first, in my opinion, with more weapons and enemies, and I love some of the physics puzzles/traps, especially in I think it was the fifth level (the cylinder room where you can walk along the walls and ceiling pretty much fried my brain). I'm past the first boss fight, so judging by the in-between-levels maps, I believe I'm over a third of the way done.

I'm also finally at the point in Mass Effect where I'm captain of my own ship and can actually leave the planet, and I'm starting to get into it more.

And I also installed Alien Nations and started the tutorials since I was tired of seeing it at the top of my unplayed list on the backloggery. Probably won't play it much until I finish up Serious Sam though, don't think I want to try juggling three games at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Got around to starting Blocks That Matter today. It's generally fun but I feel like the lack of rewind feature, or at least a couple of checkpoints for the big levels, is gradually eroding my patience and I'm not sure if I can stand redoing the same bits over and over again because I hosed up at the end of the level anymore. I'll give it a few more goes but I fear the absence of this one feature will pretty much kill this game for me soon enough.

Otherwise I've recently finished Limbo, Nimbus, Gemini Rue, The Binding of Isaac and the Portal 2 singleplayer, all of which I really enjoyed. Portal 2 was even better than I thought it could be.

Not sure what next if I do give up on BTM. New Vegas is waiting but I feel the upcoming Christmas sale might distract me too much to devote my full attention to it, so I'll probably wait till January. I also have Sanctum and Fate of the World but am not really interested in either at the moment. Maybe I'll go back to Isaac, or else cave and buy the recent Indie Royale bundle for the Blackwell Trilogy.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

VisAbsoluta posted:

So, after my Borderlands fiasco, I finally beat Terraria today, ~45 hours in!

I'll probably keep on playing this sparsely, since it's a drat good game that gets free updates routinely. Totally worth the asking price if you have even a passing interest at it.

Now I'm gonna play Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light with a friend on co-op. I've heard it is short, so hopefully it's another game off the backlog soon!

Woah, wait. Terraria can be beat?? I was under the impression it was 2D Minecraft with no real goal to it. If it can be beat I should probably pick it back up.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Mr Right posted:

Woah, wait. Terraria can be beat?? I was under the impression it was 2D Minecraft with no real goal to it. If it can be beat I should probably pick it back up.

Welp, you've got bosses that you can summon, so when you defeat the last one, I consider the game beaten, even if there's no ending per se. :v:

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'
Well it certainly sounds complete once that's done. Good games remain open to roam after the main goal is complete anyway so thanks, I'll need to pick that back up.

VVV I never knew this either which is why I stopped playing Minecraft. Where have I been??

Mr Right fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 15, 2011

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Heck, even Minecraft has an ending now. Minecraft, which is even less RPG-esque than Terraria.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
I think once you get to hard mode and kill all the bosses in Terraria you can put it down as "beaten". Granted, that's probably going to take you 50+ hours.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well I finally finished Dragon age and what a relief. Don't get me wrong it is a pretty good game it's just very, very long and feels like one giant fetch quest.

Are most Bioware games pretty similar in story and combat? A friend keeps telling me to play Baldur's Gate 2 but if it's like Dragon Age then I'm really not sure I'm up to it.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Red_Fred posted:

Well I finally finished Dragon age and what a relief. Don't get me wrong it is a pretty good game it's just very, very long and feels like one giant fetch quest.

Are most Bioware games pretty similar in story and combat? A friend keeps telling me to play Baldur's Gate 2 but if it's like Dragon Age then I'm really not sure I'm up to it.

Dragon Age is like the Infinity Engine games with training wheels. BG2, especially is a much more diverse and complex game.

I'd highly recommend playing BG1 with Tutu installed before BG2, though.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Dragon Age is like the Infinity Engine games with training wheels. BG2, especially is a much more diverse and complex game.

I'd highly recommend playing BG1 with Tutu installed before BG2, though.

Well my usual RPG comparison is to Ultima VII: TBG so with that regard DA didn't do very well as the world was relatively dead. But I guess comparing open-ended to non-open-ended isn't that fair.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Red_Fred posted:

Mass Effect's combat is totally different; it's closer to third-person shooter than standard RPG (though it honestly isn't that great of one if you treat it like that).

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I busted the CPU on my gaming PC because I'm a dipshit so instead of putting in serious Skyrim time over the winter break like I planned, I left my busted rear end computer at my apartment in VA and installed Steam on the family computer that has Vista (ugh) and integrated graphics. So nothing remotely new or even 3d for me. It's a good opportunity to burn through some lo-fi games I tend to overlook. First one I'm playing is Gemini Rue. It's pretty interesting so far. Other stuff I'm thinking of installing is the two double packs I have (BoD/CStW and BTDT/TGP) and LIMBO.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Blue Shift is pretty poo poo, especially if you hated Opposing Force. OF is generally considered the "good" Gearbox Half-Life expansion, while Blue Shift is really just going through the motions.

Don't listen to this guy. Blue shift is the best paced of the three and it lacks lame final boss syndrome. It's a bit short compared to the others but beyond that it's arguably better.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
The Goddess of Explosions has been kind to me this week: I finished Crusader: No Remorse (very good, still holds up, and even bathroom fixtures explode into giant fireballs when you shoot them) and Raptor: Call of the Shadows (a meh scrolling shooter that somehow manages to make everything exploding be annoying and boring. Tyrian 2000 is better and free).

It's high time I got around to playing Bastion.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I just beat The Blackwell Legacy in two sittings. Took me three hours, but it is a pretty cool, little adventure game, even if kinda amateurish. I recommend it to anyone who likes old point and click titles, specially at this price. Definitely looking forward to the next three games of the series.

Also, big ending spoiler: http://i.imgur.com/flacf.jpg :catdrugs:

Next up: Orcs Must Die! + DLC, which were gently gifted by goon patron Kragger99. :black101:

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 18, 2011

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

VisAbsoluta posted:

specially at this price

Wrong link there, buddy. Three hours for all the episodes? Uh, I think I'll move it up on the backlog schedule.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Whoops, so many bundles, so little links! Anyway, it was three hours for the first episode, I don't actually know if they get longer later.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Which would be better for beating over a month long break: Divinity II: DKS, Two Worlds II or Risen?

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I have way too many Steam games unplayed. :(

It's time I fix that! I made an excel file of all my steam games with an assigned number and I'll choose one at random. I do have exceptions that if the game is a sequel another game I won but have yet played, I'll reroll.

Currently I was playing Dead Space before the Terraria patch distracted me. I'll finish that then movie onto my first selected game, Trine! :)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

12-17-11(B) Beat: SpaceChem: 63 Corvi Mission (Steam)
Now the rest of the game :suicide:

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Which would be better for beating over a month long break: Divinity II: DKS, Two Worlds II or Risen?

Having only played DKS I'd recommend it. A really awesome RPG. Some tips/ things to know: mindread everyone, the start of the game is pretty hard - just kite enemies with the bow and then finish them off and the dragon parts are a little tedious.

Overall, definitely worth playing.

SmokinDan fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 18, 2011

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
If I make a Toxx in this thread, will I be held liable for its completion or do I need like a separate thread or something?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

nickhimself posted:

If I make a Toxx in this thread, will I be held liable for its completion or do I need like a separate thread or something?

I'm not aware of any rules that you need a special thread. Toxx away, I'm excited. :) (I bet you're going to say that you won't buy a single game over the sale. Ha!)

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Chinook posted:

I'm not aware of any rules that you need a special thread. Toxx away, I'm excited. :) (I bet you're going to say that you won't buy a single game over the sale. Ha!)

god dammit, you're right.

:toxx: I will put my account up for perma-ban if after the holiday sale ends I make a single purchase prior to finishing 5 games in my backlog. Receiving gifts does not have any impact on this toxx. I'll post screenshots of the end of the game, total time played, or something showing that I finished it without any extreme doubt arising.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Waffleopolis posted:

I have way too many Steam games unplayed. :(

It's time I fix that! I made an excel file of all my steam games with an assigned number and I'll choose one at random. I do have exceptions that if the game is a sequel another game I won but have yet played, I'll reroll.

Currently I was playing Dead Space before the Terraria patch distracted me. I'll finish that then movie onto my first selected game, Trine! :)
Why not use Backloggery's fortune cookies?

Finished Bastion yesterday. I think it was a little overhyped, but still a really good game, and the presentation and audio were fantastic. I appreciate the fact the game was just created to do unique things and it worked. Going back in for a NG+ run for sure.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
It's a pretty great game. I'm looking forward to doing a pantheon run over break.

Also, quitting TF2 has done wonders for my game completion. Since doing that I've finished Assassin's Creed II, Arkham City, Skyrim, Darksiders, Cave Story +, and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

SmokinDan posted:

Having only played DKS I'd recommend it. A really awesome RPG. Some tips/ things to know: mindread everyone, the start of the game is pretty hard - just kite enemies with the bow and then finish them off and the dragon parts are a little tedious.

Overall, definitely worth playing.

I ended up using a random number gen and chose Risen, but that'll be second, thanks.

As for what's helped me start finishing games, definitely the ADHD meds. :v:

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Don't forget to post a report, I'm curious whether the game is any good or not.

Mmann
Dec 1, 2007

Kyoon Was Right
12/21/12
Darksiders and Jamestown finished!

I had almost put Jamestown completely out of my mind but I saw it come up as having an achievement that might be related to the Steam Christmas sale so I thought I would install it and try it out - turns out it's super fun and I have been missing out for months!
I'm finding a lot of really fun games that I own but hadn't tried out before these new achievements came along, and I'm hoping to finish a couple now that I actually have them installed.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Finished Serious Sam: The Second Encounter last night. It's lots of fun, but I feel like I shouldn't be enjoying it as much as I do. I mean, Painkiller has the same "enter area, fill area with wave after wave of monsters, kill all monsters, move on to next area" gameplay, yet I *hated* that game and couldn't get past three or four levels. Granted, SS has much more variety (three levels in to Painkiller, I had all of two weapons and only encountered four or five enemies; same point in SS I had at least five or six weapons and probably a dozen enemies), but when I think about it, I realize I actually hate at least half the monsters (the worst being the skeletons, which of course seem to show up more than the others). Maybe it's the weapon variety.

I was actually afraid of playing The Second Encounter and hating it. I liked the first one, but I was wondering if that was just nostalgia; I'd played it at a LAN party in high school along with five or six other guys on the hardest difficulty, which was a blast. I didn't have any such memories of the second one, but still enjoyed it. Then again, the gameplay is pretty much exactly the same, just different setting and a few more weapons and monsters.

Oh well, whatever, I enjoyed it and finished it, time to move on. I've continued working on Mass Effect. My only real complaint so far is what's with all the elevators? You'd think with all the technology, they'd be able to come up with elevators that don't take forever. And then they go and place them everywhere. Bit annoying. And the ground vehicle controls like poo poo with KB+M, I need to try using a controller.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Eh! Frank posted:

My only real complaint so far is what's with all the elevators? You'd think with all the technology, they'd be able to come up with elevators that don't take forever. And then they go and place them everywhere. Bit annoying.

Those are the loading screens.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Chinook posted:

Those are the loading screens.
I thought that at first, but there have been times where I'll step out of an elevator after riding it, and almost immediately it freezes and a "Loading..." icon pops up for a second or two. Most of the time it comes up during the actual ride, or not at all, but occasionally it'll wait until after the elevator ride to actually do the loading for some strange reason.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
It's not up for debate, they're the loading screens. Your computer just sucks apparently.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's not up for debate, they're the loading screens. Your computer just sucks apparently.
I built my computer just earlier this year, and it runs many newer games just fine, including Skyrim. Maybe there's just something wrong with my copy of Mass Effect + Steam.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

That's strange, because there is a bug with elevators taking a long time to load, but it only happens in Mass Effect 2 (as far as I know) and it's related to dual core processors.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
First Impressions of Risen:

Risen is a child of the venerable "Here's how you attack. Alright, off you go then, good luck." school of wRPGs. Thankfully, unlike it's predecessors the Gothic series, everything else seems fairly intuitive. Combat is simple, middle click draws your weapon, left click attacks, holding right click blocks. You can block with a weapon or a shield, which is good since enemies hit hard. Most enemies go down in just a few hits, but they can take you down in just a few hits too. Timing is fairly important because of this. The main quirk the gameplay has is that you can't interact with anything in the environment while your weapon is drawn. While this makes sense from a "You're not going to pick healing plants while a wolf is attacking you standpoint", it can get annoying while exploring.

Graphically, it's nothing amazing from an engine standpoint, but it has pretty good art direction. Everything blends pretty naturally, while still attracting your eyes to items you can interact with. The weakest point is definitely the lighting. It and the shadows seem a bit too solid for me. Also, the UI is decidedly low res. It's obviously upscaled from a single source set of graphics. Overall, while there's nothing that makes you go "Wow, that's awesome!", there's nothing that ever pulls you out either, and it's always at least pleasant to look at.

Soundwise, there's not much to say. The voice acting is decent enough. It's certainly much better than your standard EuroRPG English dub, but it's nothing special. The music is standard fantasy fare. It never gets overly "epic" like RPG sountracks tend to, so that's a plus in my book, but there's nothing really memorable about it. Sound effects seem okay so far.

I'm not far enough in to make any comments on the plot.

Here's some screen shots:
Cooking:

Inside a house(good illustration of what I mean with shadows/lighting):

Combat:

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I finished Skyrim this morning. Very proud of myself =]

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Tortolia posted:

Finished Bastion yesterday. I think it was a little overhyped, but still a really good game, and the presentation and audio were fantastic. I appreciate the fact the game was just created to do unique things and it worked. Going back in for a NG+ run for sure.

Hey, I also finished Bastion yesterday. This reaction pretty much sums it up for me, though it perhaps felt less unique because I'd just finished Crusader.

I was a little ambivalent about the narrative (as opposed to the excellent gameplay) utility of the narrator gimmick, right up until the point where he doesn't know what's going on anymore and starts guessing. Guessing drastically wrong, as it happens.

On the GOG side, I have been plugging away at Rayman Forever for reasons even I don't know. I've started playing off walkthroughs to deal with the scavenger hunt for invisible objects :argh: and this is also cluing me in to the parts the walkthrough guys think are easy or hard.

For reasons I don't know but now am very curious about, my reactions to nearly all the difficulty warnings or "now you can relax because you just do this" stuff is completely backwards for me. The last non-boss stage of Picture City actually had a warning that this was the level that brickwalled most players or led to destroyed controllers/game systems, and I beat it, without hints or maps or anything, and with two-thirds of the invisible scavenger hunt complete, burning maybe four or five lives.

Then the boss, which was peremptorily dismissed with, basically, "just shoot it in the face", took me at least 40 tries.

I'm still not sure why Michel Ancel became a Famous Game Designer after this, but I at least could see Famous Art Director.

... I also now have no Steam games on my Now Playing list. Let's see what the Fortune Cookie says...

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. :what: Maybe I'll play that on vacation when I only have a Mac, it works there.

nickhimself posted:

:toxx:

Hey, welcome to Steam Anonymous. Your attitude is admirably hardcore - this is the first Toxx in the thread, I think. A few thoughts on your challenge:
  • First, you can totally do this. Checking my Backloggery I actually managed it by accident in August of this year, finishing two Tomb Raiders (Legend and Underworld), Deus Ex Human Revolution, Might and Magic II, and Devil May Cry 4 between getting Deus Ex Human Revolution and the big Hitman sale. And DXHR was a pre-order so Splinter Cell Chaos theory could sneak in too.
  • http://www.backloggery.com is a great resource for tracking your progress (or decline). Don't trust the Memory Card summaries, though, they're comical lies. If you set one up there, let us know (see OP for ways to do it fast)
  • If you're seriously worried about getting hyped up about games you don't own by goons, this isn't actually that safe a place; the main difference here is that we say "hey this is game is great you should go play it" and you should read that as "if you have it already" or we're if anything even more dangerous than the main Steam thread.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
I just bought over $50 of games off GOG.

What is wrong with me? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

BeanBandit posted:

I just bought over $50 of games off GOG.

What is wrong with me? :(

What's wrong with yo uis that you're not in the GOG anonymous thread. :colbert: