Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I'm trying to do some christmasey baking, and I've hit a stumbling point. Trying to get an infusion of noble fir into a cream filling. So far I've cooked needles into simple syrup and I am also steeping more needles in vodka, but by the time I get either of those into the whipped cream, it gets lost in the creaminess and fattiness of the cream.

Should I scald the cream and steep some more needles in it, then strain and cool before whipping? The alcohol infusion is only about 8 hours old, will a few more days in the alcohol make it strong enough to use like a flavor extract? Any other ideas?

The final product I'm going for here is a ginger and mace creampuff with a barely-sweetened noble fir-infused cream filling.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This one from the same people that make the vaunted Thermapen.

I got the 2 for $30, so now I have one too! Thanks.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I'm making roast duck again for Christmas this year, and while it's been excellent in the past simply by patting it dry, pricking the skin, rubbing it in S+P and roasting breast-down for 1/2 the cooking time (while removing excess fat), I would appreciate some inspiration for a bit of variation.

What I am thinking of specifically is rubbing the skin with salt the day before it will be roasted. I'm wondering what effect that will have on crispy-skin formation, tenderness and overall flavour.

Other than that, stuffing the (relatively small) cavity with something? I tried halved clementine one year but it didn't seem to have much of an effect on the end result.

These have been some very happy ducks raised in excellent conditions, so it really would be very hard to gently caress this up in a major way. Just looking for a bit of a twist on an old favourite. Thoughts?

A Magical Unicorn
Mar 21, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I posted this in SA-mart without much luck. On reflection, GWS might have been a better place for it.

I'm an Australian who has tried virtually every energy drink on the market here, and I'd love to try some crazy foreign ones for a change. If you're in the same boat, and would like to trade a big box'o'drinks, please reply to my thread!

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)

kiteless posted:

I made some canned fruit stuff (plum compote, pear chutney) a couple months ago and I have greater than 1/4" headspace in some of the jars, more like 1/2". Are these still safe to eat? They're sealed tight and have not discolored.

In my experience, the head space thing is to keep the contents from bubbling out while canning and possibly messing up the seal. If you have extra it shouldn't be an issue.

If you are concerned about it store the jars without rings and tap the dome lid before you open it. High acid food will spoil, smell and mold - it's the low acid foods that you need to worry more about botulism.

And HEY! I want your recipe for pear chutney. Apple chutney is fantastic.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
What is the best solution for keeping stock on hand? I don't want to buy a dozen cartons of stock, and don't eat enough chicken to keep the homemade good stuff around, so is there something out there a little nicer than bullion cubes?

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)

Noni posted:

I need a few weeks' worth of soup recipes. Nothing chunky, though, it's got to be smooth flowing for the first several days.

Fruit purees are also good, and you can mix a number together, what you can use may depend on your dietician but mix in dry milk or yogurt into, say, cherry and pears and it is a good snack.

The other thing you can try if you have a pressure cooker is to make a stock by cooking down a rotissere chicken (or just the remains after you've taken off the white meat and the legs) and cook it down at the highest temperatures your bobble will allow with about a Tablespoon of vinegar and a couple of ribs of celery, a chopped carrot and a diced onion, for 30 - 45 minutes. when you strain the bones, veggies and shreds of meat out you have a wonderful stock, and you've cooked out all the collagen, marrow and so much out of the bones that they get chalky. You can also do this with a ham bone or with fish-heads and fins.
Refrigerate the broth for a while and you can skim off the fat.

Hope your friend recovers quick, though. Liquid diets are for sucking.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

The Third Man posted:

What is the best solution for keeping stock on hand?
Freeze it in potions of a pint or so, and thaw as needed.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

The Third Man posted:

What is the best solution for keeping stock on hand? I don't want to buy a dozen cartons of stock, and don't eat enough chicken to keep the homemade good stuff around, so is there something out there a little nicer than bullion cubes?

A jar of "Better than Boullion" paste is decent and true to its name.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.

Junior G-man posted:

If you're looking to make a chili powder, why would you bother with the water at all :confused: Just grind up the dried spices and keep in a reasonably airtight jar out of direct sunlight.

Oh yeah, forgot to explain that. The food processor doesn't chop it quite fine enough dry, and water is always involved anyway wherever I mix the chili in. So I remembered some post here saying that you can add a little water to make the thing mix better, and use a paste instead of dry powder. All I'm wondering now is: how long does that paste last?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

A mortar and pestle is your best friend for fine grinding, and it's a cool thing to have in the house anyways :)

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I started making stock last night after dinner, and someone turned the stove off overnight at some point. Chicken carcass was sitting in the pot with a lid for ~6+ hours. Is this redeemable or is this going to get anyone involved sick?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I wouldn't use it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

I wouldn't use it.

That's what I thought :(
House smells great at least.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Junior G-man posted:

Yeah, stock cubes are a bitch - I know we're all told to make stock like good little chefs, but honestly I don't have the freezer/fridge space to make room for a gallon/couple of liters a stretch.

If you go all the way to glace or demi-glace, it takes up much less room. It will also keep longer. It is still an all day event though.

Sapphire Rose Wolf
Feb 20, 2009
I've lost the recipe I originally had for french silk pie/chocolate mousse pie and I can't find one that doesn't call for eggs. The problem is I don't remember all the ingredients I used before, but I KNOW that eggs wasn't involved, and I know I used two parts whipped heavy whipping creamy. One was used in the chocolate filling, one was used in the topping. I was wondering if anyone could help me out here. Should I take one and switch the heavy whipping cream for the eggs? Or should I just keep looking for one that doesn't call for eggs?

SEC
Nov 14, 2005
It may seem like the simplest thing in the world, but I cannot find a decent recipe for a really fudgey brownie. If anyone could oblige, I'd be ever so grateful.

Bellabel
Jan 5, 2010

Dead finks don't talk too well; they've got a shaky sense of diction

dino. posted:

Rehydrate the TVP in boiling water (takes about a five minute soak for the large chunks, or a one minute soak for the small pieces), and drain off the excess water. Squeeze out as much excess water as you can. In a large skillet, heat a few TB of peanut oil over highest heat. Add cumin seeds, crushed coriander seeds, and fennel seeds. Wait about thirty or so seconds for the seeds to toast and crackle and pop. They'll smell awesome. Add onions and garlic, and cook until medium brown.

Add the rehydrated TVP, and sautee until it gets lightly browned as well. Add a few shakes of soya sauce, a light sprinkle of turmeric, and a good hefty bit of salt. Add tomato paste, and toss everything around in the pan to get it all evenly coated. Add a few splashes of rum, or red wine if you don't have rum. Let the whole thing cook, with constant stirring, for about 10 minutes longer.

Turn off the heat, and add in about a 3 cm knob of raw grated ginger. No, powdered ginger will not suffice. Sprinkle on a bit of garam masala, and stir everything through. Check for salt, and finish off with a hefty grind of black pepper.

It will be absolutely lovely.

sure sounds lovely, thanks dino! The suggestions for meatballs/loaf are also good. I knew it must be possible to make them less awful. I'll give this a try soon and report back :)

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
For cleaning cast iron I usually just scrub with water a plastic scrubby dishpad that has no soap, and immediately dry the cast iron.

Aelia posted:

Quiche is sort of one of those foods you can throw just about anything in and it comes out good, right?

Pretty much, yeah. I like to do a cheddar with mushrooms, onions, garlic, and spinach. Is your friend only allergic to onions? If not, then I'd use shallot instead, but they are in the same family. In my opinion, it's impossible to go wrong with mushrooms and spinach. Bacon is good too, I like to add some halfway through cooking so some stays on top and is all nice and crispy.

Lyssavirus fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 19, 2011

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

SEC posted:

It may seem like the simplest thing in the world, but I cannot find a decent recipe for a really fudgey brownie. If anyone could oblige, I'd be ever so grateful.

I've made the Baked brownie a few times now and it's so good. Underbake slightly for extra fudgey. Also do not overmix once you ad the flour or it will be cakey. Just barely mix the flour in, streaks are ok. http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2010/10/08/the-baked-brownie/

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

Mach420 posted:

A jar of "Better than Boullion" paste is decent and true to its name.

I keep this on hand. I like it better than boxed stock, even. You can get it a lot cheaper at Costco.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I'm looking for a cookbook recommendation for my mom. She's a good cook, no canned soup or jello or cakepops or whatever. I'm looking for a good cookbook geared toward single people or 1-serving things or something, cause her husband died in August and she's having trouble getting back into a normal routine. She's been complaining that she doesn't want to exert much effort into cooking anymore for various reasons, some psychological I'm sure, but also because she's used to cooking large quantities and she won't eat it all. She complains that she doesn't want to eat crap food too so it's kind of her own fault but like I said I think there's more emotional stuff going on and I think a cookbook with some new ideas would make it easier for her. So are there any good cookbooks with recipes that can be scaled down, or are easy (but not Sandra Lee poo poo), or geared toward single servings?

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones
I don't have this, but I remember the buzz when it came out:
http://www.amazon.com/Pleasures-Cooking-One-Judith-Jones/dp/0307270726/

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

After purchasing and being disappointed in some frozen breakfast burritos (for consumption on busy mornings), I have decided I will make my own. It seems that burritos are easy to make ahead and freeze, then thaw overnight and pop into the microwave when in a hurry.

Any tips for making sure that the contents of said burrito will not turn into a watery mess when reheated? I would imagine using more liquidy ingredients would obviously work against me here.

I'll definitely have eggs and some additional savory protein, maybe things like spinach, mushrooms and sautéed onions as well. I'm a little concerned about the eggs, as I am a fan of moist and somewhat runny scrambled eggs, versus the dry rubbery sort. I would imagine I can't have a leaky burrito without cooking the eggs through more naturally.

Anyone make their own frozen breakfast burritos or can offer some input?

edit: thanks very much for the tips guys :)

eggrolled fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 19, 2011

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide

eggrolled posted:

After purchasing and being disappointed in some frozen breakfast burritos (for consumption on busy mornings), I have decided I will make my own. It seems that burritos are easy to make ahead and freeze, then thaw overnight and pop into the microwave when in a hurry.

Any tips for making sure that the contents of said burrito will not turn into a watery mess when reheated? I would imagine using more liquidy ingredients would obviously work against me here.

I'll definitely have eggs and some additional savory protein, maybe things like spinach, mushrooms and sautéed onions as well. I'm a little concerned about the eggs, as I am a fan of moist and somewhat runny scrambled eggs, versus the dry rubbery sort. I would imagine I can't have a leaky burrito without cooking the eggs through more naturally.

I used to do it all the time, I usually tried to line it up when I made quesadillas for dinner or something, so I could buy extra steak, cheese and tortillas to make breakfast burritos with. Obviously, cooking your eggs a little more will make it a less messy burrito, but if you put salsa or whatever in it, there's gonna be a bit of a risk of a mess anyway. I'd assemble them by laying out some plastic wrap, putting the tortilla on top, adding my ingredients and then rolling the whole thing up, using the plastic like a sushi mat, and popping it in the freezer. If you fold it right, a mess shouldn't be an issue. I'd then defrost by taking the plastic off, wrapping it in a paper towel (this helps get a nice tortilla) and microwaving 2mins on defrost and 1.5 on regular.

My question: I made chicken stock yesterday, but I went out, leaving the pot to cool (including the various veggies and carcasses) and forgot to put it in the fridge when I got back last night. It sat out about 12 hours till this morning. Can I just boil it up and it'll be fine or is this trash?

slavedaeva
Aug 22, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT ALEISTER CROWLEY AND AHURA MAZDA
^^^ I was taught the general rule of thumb on cooked food is 2 hours at room temp - toss it. At 12 hours, there is no way I'd trust it.

eggrolled posted:

Cook everything you want to put in except the eggs first. Then cook the eggs, at just about done toss in the rest of the filling ingredients and finish cooking off the eggs. You can't really make them runny. They wont freeze happy and the microwave will finish them off anyways. Fill the tortillas and roll up burrito style, lay out seem down on a baking sheet and freeze. Once they're nice and solid individually wrap in plastic wrap. DO NOT defrost! When you want one, pull one out, unwrap it, wrap it in a paper towel and nuke about 2 minutes to heat it through. If you defrost before hand the tortilla will suck up all the water from the defrosting filling and just be soggy and gross. Fiance lives off these, pizza pockets and taquitos and we've not had any soggy or overcooked issues.

I've done tomatoes, mushrooms, green peppers.. never an issue with their water content making the burrito soggy. Also, if you have the time and prefer a more crunchy burrito - unwrap from plastic, wrap in foil, bake 10 mins at 350F.

slavedaeva fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 19, 2011

Duece Ex Machina
Aug 6, 2008
I'm interested in trying a coffee rubbed beef tenderloin for Christmas dinner this year, does anyone have a good recipe?

Thanks.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Time Trial posted:

My question: I made chicken stock yesterday, but I went out, leaving the pot to cool (including the various veggies and carcasses) and forgot to put it in the fridge when I got back last night. It sat out about 12 hours till this morning. Can I just boil it up and it'll be fine or is this trash?

Toss it. Stock is the ideal growth medium for bacteria.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wroughtirony posted:

Toss it. Stock is the ideal growth medium for bacteria.

I agree. Ruhlman apparently disagrees, for what it's worth. He supposedly leaves his stock on the stove all week and just brings it to a boil prior to use. Seems gross to me, but apparently he's not dead yet.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
The problem is that nobody (accept Ruhlman) ever wants to come out and recommend that someone practice poor food safety. I can't disagree with FGR or Wroughtirony, because they're ultimately right, but I will say that I would probably heat and use the questionable stock in both of the recent queries -but almost definitely the one that sat covered for some period of time that was less than 6 hours. You have to consider that it probably took an hour or more to even get down to a "dangerous" temperature.

I can't advocate it but I'd go ahead and use it for myself and serve it to anyone that didn't have a good lawyer.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Very Strange Things posted:

The problem is that nobody (accept Ruhlman) ever wants to come out and recommend that someone practice poor food safety. I can't disagree with FGR or Wroughtirony, because they're ultimately right, but I will say that I would probably heat and use the questionable stock in both of the recent queries -but almost definitely the one that sat covered for some period of time that was less than 6 hours. You have to consider that it probably took an hour or more to even get down to a "dangerous" temperature.

I can't advocate it but I'd go ahead and use it for myself and serve it to anyone that didn't have a good lawyer.

I played it safe and tossed it. I still have some leftover stock from the last time I made chicken in the freezer, and I was going to just make a small batch of soup with the leftover meat from the that bird. Wasn't a huge deal, house smelled great from the simmering that did occur, and I am quite proud of my clean record when it comes to getting people sick from my food.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Very Strange Things posted:

This actually got me thinking, what's the minimum temperature you can safely slow-cook something at?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Darval posted:

This actually got me thinking, what's the minimum temperature you can safely slow-cook something at?

The Danger zone for food is 40f to 140f so as long as the food is over 140 you'll be good.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

55C is the temperature that you need to reach within four hours to pasteurize something safely.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The Danger zone for food is 40f to 140f so as long as the food is over 140 you'll be good.

Its pretty important to note here that 140F will kill the nasty stuff in your food, but not immediately. You'll need to hold it there for some time depending on what your target food is.

The friendly folks over at Sous Vide Supreme have a chart for times and temps:

http://www.sousvidesupreme.com/en-us/sousvide_cookingtemperatures.htm

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Speaking of sous vide, I'm planning on doing a turkey crown for Christmas dinner. The internet gives conflicting advice (with some of it downright terrible), anyone got any experience in this area? Is it remotely possible to do the skin on the meat or will it have to be done separately? Will 60.5C for 2 1/2 hours work for about 2kg? If I stuff it can I do it whole or will the temperature be two low given the danger of contamination by gut bacteria?

Starting to think this might be a bad plan....

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

The thickness is what matters more than the weight. Do it with the skin on then finish it under a broiler or ripping hot pan to crisp the skin. Alternatively, remove all the skin and fry it then slice it and use it as a garnish.

What do you mean, "stuff it and do it whole"? You're going to have to break down the turkey, you can't put the whole thing into a puddle and expect it to get up to temp.

Read this to decide what temp to do it at: http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Chicken_or_Turkey_Breast

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zombywuf posted:

Speaking of sous vide, I'm planning on doing a turkey crown for Christmas dinner. The internet gives conflicting advice (with some of it downright terrible), anyone got any experience in this area? Is it remotely possible to do the skin on the meat or will it have to be done separately? Will 60.5C for 2 1/2 hours work for about 2kg? If I stuff it can I do it whole or will the temperature be two low given the danger of contamination by gut bacteria?

Starting to think this might be a bad plan....

I do my turkey breast at 146. It remains absolutely moist, but still has the texture of fully cooked poultry (below 145 people may have textural issues). I cook it for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. You really can't safely sous vizzle the turkey whole.

The skin I remove prior to cooking. Bake it in a 325 oven like this

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Thanks guys, was having difficulty finding a temp chart on google. Is it worth putting anything in the bag with it? i.e. would it be worth sticking anything in the bag with it? Some sage and goose fat perhaps?

Damnit, I'm panicing over the christmas meal. I have finally become my parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zombywuf posted:

Thanks guys, was having difficulty finding a temp chart on google. Is it worth putting anything in the bag with it? i.e. would it be worth sticking anything in the bag with it? Some sage and goose fat perhaps?

Damnit, I'm panicing over the christmas meal. I have finally become my parents.

The problem with herbs is that you end up with one spot where the herbs were resting that really taste like the herb (like too much like the herb) and the rest not herby at all. Similarly, I don't know that goose fat would add anything. Also, stay away from fresh garlic (it will taste metallicy) and pepper (it gets funky).