Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoB
May 1, 2009

CubanMissile posted:

Can't say I dig his new hat though.

Hes just wearing a thing over his old hat. Its still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Shadow0 posted:

How could you not like Robin?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lOkfeTo5CA

It was wrong of me to forget that she was responsible for one of the funniest moments of the entire series. I'm sorry for any pain I've caused you or your family.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Envisioned posted:

Chopper will always have a place in the upper tier for me simply for the 'hiding behind a door the wrong way' gag.

Some of the other character's little quirks and traits start to feel a little played out, but that one never ever will. Gets me rolling every time.

I don't remember him doing at other than just the one time, actually.

(Brook is my least favorite Strawhat by the way)

RyanManRules
May 31, 2006

Quick little de-rail for a second. The girlfriend and I are currently working our way through the series, (second time for me, loving every minute of it.) I was wondering would she be missing a whole bunch by watching the 8th movie for Alabasta, and the 9th movie for Drum Island? Even though I pretty much assume the answer is to watch the regular series if you want to get the full feel, then watch the movies. I've seen the 9th movie and it's pretty spot on for for the arc.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

RyanManRules posted:

Quick little de-rail for a second. The girlfriend and I are currently working our way through the series, (second time for me, loving every minute of it.) I was wondering would she be missing a whole bunch by watching the 8th movie for Alabasta, and the 9th movie for Drum Island? Even though I pretty much assume the answer is to watch the regular series if you want to get the full feel, then watch the movies. I've seen the 9th movie and it's pretty spot on for for the arc.

Well the 9th movie includes an additional villain and it shows Robin and Franky as existing crew members. Also you lose Vivi. So while you'd get the general understanding of what it was about you'd have to explain who the additional characters are. As for the 8th film... I really suggest just watching the series. You'll miss Ace's first appearance for goodness sake!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The 8th movie is a trainwreck. It's not even a very entertaining trainwreck and they cut out some of the best parts of the arc, like Mr. Prince.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I'd say that if you have to pick between the series and movies, always go for the series. Oda seems to have crafted the details of his arcs very carefully. Oftentimes, things that seemed unimportant before tend to become unexpectedly relevant.

e:typo fix

AshB fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 7, 2011

RyanManRules
May 31, 2006

I figured as much, thanks for the information! I didn't even notice they brought in new characters for the movie. :derp:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I only really liked the first few movies and 10.
I can't pick a favorite, maybe 1 or 2, but I can say which was the worst for me: 6. I vaguely liked the idea of the Strawhats fighting each other, an island that destroys friendships in a series where it is so important sounds like it should be amazing. But it was just so poorly carried out and the art was so weird, too.

e: Sorry, I'm stupid. Fixed my tags. Also, had my numbers wrong. 3 was kind of lame.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 7, 2011

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Firstly, you screwed up your spoiler tags. Secondly, movie 6 is generally regarded as one of the better ones.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
I would completely disagree and say 2 and 3 are awful and 6 is one of the best.

4, 6 and 10 are the must watch ones imo

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Oh wait, he cited 3 as one of his favorites? How did I miss that?

Yeah, 3 is generally reviled as the worst.

2 is decent, but pretty unremarkable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The artstyle in the 6th movie was amazing.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah, as far as movies go, 6th will always be my favorite for the art style and the darker tone. It's rare to see in One Piece, and I thought it was really cool.

I have a lot of love for 4 and 10 as well. Both are great and are like their own full story arcs. 4 is especially perfect for that. I like 2 as well, since it's another fun adventure, but it's not as well done as the others.

5 was like "What if One Piece was a JRPG?"

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

5 was like "What if One Piece was a JRPG?"

I've never thought of it that way, but that fits.

Movie 3 is "what if Chopper was the main character?"

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Movie 6 is my favourite, hands down. I mean, hell, it's basically turns out to be a One Piece horror movie, and for some absurd reason it works.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I definitely like 6 but it's just too weird for me to be honest. My favorites are 10, 4, and 9. Bottom are definitely 1, 3, and 8. 2's alright.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Dec 7, 2011

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

WhiffleballDude posted:

I definitely like 6 but it's just too weird for me to be honest. My favorites are 10, 4, and 9. Bottom are definitely 1, 3, and 8. 2's alright.

I felt like the first few were concentrated One Piece. Maybe it was because I was watching them during the peak of "Oh poo poo, we're catching up to the manga but don't want to do filler" so it felt good to see something more fast-paced. The 6th movie looked like they were drawing something else and then pasted One Piece over it.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Anyone seen the OVA with different animation and voice actors? I'm shocked by how unavailable it is.

Super Ness
Jan 14, 2011

~It's in...your..heart..~

Liar posted:

Anyone seen the OVA with different animation and voice actors? I'm shocked by how unavailable it is.

Sure have. Its from way back when, before the anime!

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Shadow0 posted:

The 6th movie looked like they were drawing something else and then pasted One Piece over it.

It was directed by the same guy who directed the Digimon movie, Summer Wars and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, they all have pretty similar artstyles.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The bad guy (Ganzack?) is voiced by Norio Wakamoto!

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Just watched movie nine and HOLY poo poo!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I've only seen movies 6, 9, and 10, but I enjoyed them all.
6 was great, but very different from anything else in the series (and Hosoda's other films). Genuinely creepy, too.
9 was pretty good, but the most enjoyable parts were from the actual series. It's a good movie because the story that it's adapting was good. The extra characters and scenes were unnecessary but didn't take away from the experience.
10 was basically it's own canon story arc compressed into a movie. I found it to be really good, though as far as the overall plot goes it didn't affect much.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I've only seen movies 6, 9, and 10, but I enjoyed them all.
6 was great, but very different from anything else in the series (and Hosoda's other films). Genuinely creepy, too.
9 was pretty good, but the most enjoyable parts were from the actual series. It's a good movie because the story that it's adapting was good. The extra characters and scenes were unnecessary but didn't take away from the experience.
10 was basically it's own canon story arc compressed into a movie. I found it to be really good, though as far as the overall plot goes it didn't affect much.

I would suggest checking out 4 as well, it's got a similar vibe to 10 but more like an early series story arc.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I loved 4 the most I think, and I don't remember much of 6, but I think it was one of the ones I liked. I watched 2 a few weeks ago and it actually wasn't that bad. 10 was awesome too.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
Being relatively new to the show, at what point should I watch the movies?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dvorak posted:

Being relatively new to the show, at what point should I watch the movies?
Movie 1: Just after the Captain Kuro arc.
Movie 2: ... No idea, actually, it's been years since I watched it. I guess around episode 69?
Movie 4: At some point after the Alabasta Arc. Around episode 130ish?
Movie 5: Takes place directly after Movie 4.
Movie 6: Just before the Water 7 arc, I guess? Around episode 224?
Movie 7: Also just before the Water 7 arc.
Movie 10: After episode 429.

Movie 3 is kind of awful, and movies 8 and 9 are just movie versions of arcs.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 9, 2011

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

Endorph posted:

Movie 1: Just after the Captain Kuro arc.
Movie 2: ... No idea, actually, it's been years since I watched it. I guess around episode 69?
Movie 4: At some point after the Alabasta Arc. Around episode 130ish?
Movie 5: Takes place directly after Movie 4.
Movie 6: Just before the Water 7 arc, I guess? Around episode 224?
Movie 7: Also just before the Water 7 arc.
Movie 10: After episode 429.

Movie 3 is kind of awful, and movies 8 and 9 are just movie versions of arcs.

Based on your conviction I will take this advice as fact.

I'll put this right next to my X-Men reading order, and X-Files timeline. You only wish I was joking, haha.

Thanks.

bondster
May 6, 2007

dvorak posted:

Based on your conviction I will take this advice as fact.

I'll put this right next to my X-Men reading order, and X-Files timeline. You only wish I was joking, haha.

Thanks.

In my opinion I would wait and watch Movie 1 and 2 back to back since they are both only 1 hour movies.

Anyway my movie opinions:

Movie 1: A cute, short story thats pretty forgettable
Movie 2: Good, solid movie. Loved the locales they used for this one.
Movie 3: I've said it once and I'll say it again... AVOID THIS poo poo LIKE THE loving PLAGUE. Most of these movies have a filler little kid, but this one has TWO of those little fuckers. Worst of all, one of those is a main character :(
Movie 4: Amazing, the absolute best traditional One Piece movie. Its a great, fun time with cool characters and villains.
Movie 5: A decent flick, but I like it because it has a focus on Zoro who is my second favorite Straw Hat.
Movie 6: The best non-traditional One Piece movie. A renowned director (I forget his name) brings his trademark style to the series and it is the most unique of the bunch.
Movie 7: This movie is hilarious because there is only one thing that this movie is known for and it cracks me up every time I see it.
Movie 8: The first and shittier of two movies that retell an arc. This one thought it would be a solid idea to try and condense a 40+ episode arc into an hour and a half.
Movie 9: The better of the two movies. Goes with an alternate reality scenario and adds new characters and does a good job retelling the arc its based off of.
Movie 10: Fantastic movie. Oda really nailed it when they asked him to make this movie. It also has the best villian introducion in the ENTIRE series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TylGAEai7iI (not the best video but it does the job)

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

Watching that clip only reinforces my thoughts on how rad this show can get.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms
New episode is out.

http://onepieceofficial.com/videos.aspx

I'm so happy for sanji.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

Loanarn posted:

New episode is out.

I'm so happy for sanji.

Holy poo poo they actually stretched that joke out to consist of almost the entire episode didn't they.

Also I'm seeing hints of some sort of stratified society here. "He's originally from the fish-man district, so that's where he has to be." I wonder if that's the direction that Oda is going to take things in, I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

QueerPope posted:

Holy poo poo they actually stretched that joke out to consist of almost the entire episode didn't they.

Also I'm seeing hints of some sort of stratified society here. "He's originally from the fish-man district, so that's where he has to be." I wonder if that's the direction that Oda is going to take things in, I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

I'm sure Luffy will punch it in the face and everyone will live happier for it.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms
A new episode is out again.

I'm surprised at how little discussion is going on in this thread of late. Something big must be happening in the manga that everyone is busy talking about.

Happy-Go-Lilac
Dec 19, 2007

Happy to be here.

Loanarn posted:

Something big must be happening in the manga that everyone is busy talking about.

You could say that.

But this was a fun episode. What with Chopper barely hiding his antlers, Sanji's shenanigans, and more the sociopolitical climate setting on the island.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Lilac Kimono posted:

You could say that.

That reminds me of something. Not this episode, but last episode, when Sanji sees the mermaids and announces he's finally found his version of All Blue and has seen his lifelong dream.

What I'm wondering is: In the Manga, has this happened for any of the characters? Has anyone actually had their lifelong wish granted? That was the reason they became crew members in the first place, so I wonder if that's something that will happen as the series goes on.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

User0015 posted:

That reminds me of something. Not this episode, but last episode, when Sanji sees the mermaids and announces he's finally found his version of All Blue and has seen his lifelong dream.

What I'm wondering is: In the Manga, has this happened for any of the characters? Has anyone actually had their lifelong wish granted? That was the reason they became crew members in the first place, so I wonder if that's something that will happen as the series goes on.

Become Pirate King
Become World's Strongest Swordsman
Find All-Blue
Become a brave warrior of the sea, reunite with his father
Chart a map of the world
Find a cure for any illness
Find Rio Poneglyph
Build a dream ship that sails around the world
Reunite with Laboon

Franky's dream was sort of half-accomplished already, so I think his may have changed to being there as it does the sailing/keeping it maintained. Possibly.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I like to think Franky is living his dream, while all the others are chasing a dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

User0015 posted:

Two years on that island really hosed with his head. If I remember correctly he changes his dream a couple times on the way down because the poor guy hasn't seen boobies in 2 years. Once Chopper's pictures of ladies treatment is fully completed he'll be back to looking for the real All Blue.