Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Cojawfee posted:

It seems no matter what drivers I use, I always get "waiting for device"

Even the 1.7 drivers?

edit: vvv http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1379875

vote_no fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Where are you getting 1.7? All I see is the samsung driver 1.4.6

edit: Ok, that worked, thanks a bunch. Now I just have to install superuser.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 18, 2011

rearadmiral.rowboat
Apr 11, 2009

And ev'ry last inch of me's covered with HAIR!
I rooted my nexus s a couple of weeks ago but didn't really change much. Do I have to unroot it to install the OTA ICS update? Or should I just install an ICS ROM, like this guy says?

http://nexusshacks.com/nexus-s-roms/ics-rom-forrooted-nexus-s-and-nexus-s-4g-brainmaster/

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW
My camera doesn't work after installing Cyanogen 7. Ah!! Everything else seems fine.

edit: I wiped user data and in the default cyanogen install camera works fine. Didn't add much wonder what caused it to bug out.

Mosaic Perception fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 18, 2011

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW
wrong thread

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

If anyone has the "waiting for device" problem for the GN on Linux it's because you need to add lines for Samsung AND Google to your rules file (99-android.rules) in /etc/udev/rules.d/

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="04e8", MODE="0666"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="18d1", MODE="0666"

Then do:

sudo service udev restart

(unplug USB, restart device plug back in)

fastboot oem unlock

Source

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Can someone run me through the process of overclocking my Nook Color with the Nook Color Tweaks app? I want to try it at a safe, conservative level.

Jobarr
Aug 12, 2000
Superuser has been updated for 4.0.3:
http://androidsu.com/superuser/
(just flash Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip)

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

Doghouse posted:

Can someone run me through the process of overclocking my Nook Color with the Nook Color Tweaks app? I want to try it at a safe, conservative level.

Ive got cpu clock set to 1 thru 5, 300, 600, 800, 1000, and 1200, never a problem. Start with default voltages then incrementally lower for better battery life if you desire. Never really noticed a huge difference in battery life either way but ymmv.

edit/ probably better to take this here, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3281154

potentiometer fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 18, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jobarr posted:

Superuser has been updated for 4.0.3:
http://androidsu.com/superuser/
(just flash Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip)
Thanks for this, I'm going to try it this afternoon. Does anyone know where the file is that stops the recovery from being overwritten on reboot? /etc/install-recovery.sh doesn't seem to be on her Nexus S but it's definitely reflashing the recovery every time.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I'm still a relative newbie to this rooting thing, so apologies if this is a dumb question, but can I flash my Thunderbolt to a Team BAMF ROM *without* loving with the radio?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Does anyone know where the file is that stops the recovery from being overwritten on reboot?
I just checked the Nexus S OTA update.zip package and it appears to be the usual "/system/etc/install-recovery.sh" and "/system/recovery-from-boot.p".

I don't know, try looking again?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I just checked the Nexus S OTA update.zip package and it appears to be the usual "/system/etc/install-recovery.sh" and "/system/recovery-from-boot.p".

I don't know, try looking again?
I've looked several times, both in /etc/ and /system/etc/ and it just isn't there. I don't have the phone with me at the moment but I'll look again when she gets in, maybe I'm overlooking it? Thanks for checking to see that it should be there, I didn't know how to do that.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Thanks for checking to see that it should be there, I didn't know how to do that.
Hmm, this is the OTA package I checked, referenced from this xda thread. Does that look like the right thing?

Inside that zip there's a "recovery" folder that contains those two files that should be overlaid /system according to META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script.

I guess the other thing to check for might be "/system/recovery.img", but that looks like it should be deleted by the update, if it exists at all.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm so tired of waiting for CM7.2 for my EVO. I keep having stuff on the latest CM nightly mess up.

Guess it's back to Fresh for me. Question though, is there a *clean* version of Fresh without the stupid mods? I don't care for battery percentage or the quick settings thing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Hmm, this is the OTA package I checked, referenced from this xda thread. Does that look like the right thing?

Inside that zip there's a "recovery" folder that contains those two files that should be overlaid /system according to META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script.

I guess the other thing to check for might be "/system/recovery.img", but that looks like it should be deleted by the update, if it exists at all.
I *did* see recovery.img, but I figured if I renamed or deleted that, it would flash nothing. There have been reports of the OTA removing all recoveries on reboot.

That is definitely the correct package and it's the one I used. If it should be there I'll look again, she'll be home in a bit. I'll also update as to whether the updated Superuser works. I'm currently using the janky modified 2.x version that accepts all root requests without a toast or prompt.

Edit: The file definitely isn't there but it also doesn't seem to be reflashing the recovery so I guess all's good.

The new Superuser works fine now although it doesn't show a toast on Titanium. I don't really care as it does show a toast on all the other root apps. It might be that the toast is appearing behind the weird cloud toast that Titanium does now to show how many elements are loaded so that's good too!

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 18, 2011

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I'm still a relative newbie to this rooting thing, so apologies if this is a dumb question, but can I flash my Thunderbolt to a Team BAMF ROM *without* loving with the radio?

I'm running a BAMF ROM without any radio fuckery. The radio should be a separate download anyway... The rom you download is just the rom.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Some ROMs tell you to use a certain 'matched' radio, but it's not necessarily required for the ROM work and it's something you do separately from flashing the ROM. If you end up with a battery drain or lovely signal, you might want to flash the suggested radio, though.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

The latest release of Android Wifi Tether supposedly works with both the GSM and LTE Galaxy Nexus. There are some reports of reboots when disabling the hotspot but it's worked fine for me.

Edit: Here's the issue tracking thread.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr

ProjektorBoy posted:

Did you install an OTA update?

Not to my knowledge, could this have happened accidentally?

edit: In regards to my Evo 4G thinking its unrooted.

Some apps like titanium backup and wifi tethers(easytether is ok, but I don't think it requires root?) won't work or report to me that my phone "might not be rooted".

I am in and out of the phone scene these days, how do I check to see if my phone is actually still rooted or not?

Isaac Asimov fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 19, 2011

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

JayKay posted:

The latest release of Android Wifi Tether supposedly works with both the GSM and LTE Galaxy Nexus. There are some reports of reboots when disabling the hotspot but it's worked fine for me.

Edit: Here's the issue tracking thread.

I just tried it on my LTE GN and it worked perfectly.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Mine rebooted when i tried to turn wifi back on after shutting down tether.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

LastInLine posted:

Hey Ozmodiar, how's the Nexus S situation going for you?

The girl got back her Nexus S from Samsung (it's not her Nexus S, wrong IMEI) and she's been running Oxygen ROM on hers. It's got a couple CM7 things, most notably the notification power widget, but mostly it's just stock. It has a built-in backlight notification that doesn't work right but I swapped it out for the Matrix kernel at her request and it's been working flawlessly. She's bummed that it doesn't have the theme chooser so she could make it look like ICS, but she's really liking the fact that it works reliably, feels fast, and does BLN and notification toggles.

Thought I'd throw that out there in case you're still having stability issues.

Sorry man. I'm a few days behind on keeping up with the forums...

I haven't made any changes since we last talked about the Netarchy kernel. It was "stable enough" for me (meaning: a reboot once or twice a day...but no hard locks or battery pulls required most of the time. I think I only had that happen 3 or 4 times total). Thanks for the tip though. I really appreciate it.

I actually went ahead and picked up an iPhone 4S while I'm waiting for the ICS update to come out. I figured I could turn around and sell the Nexus for at least what I paid for it ($200, with 3 batteries...and I bought an Incipio Feather case) once the ICS update came out and I could decide which phone I liked better.

If I've been following ICS on the NS4G correctly...it has NOT gotten it's official release from Google...only the GSM NS has been released...correct?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ozmodiar posted:

Sorry man. I'm a few days behind on keeping up with the forums...

I haven't made any changes since we last talked about the Netarchy kernel. It was "stable enough" for me (meaning: a reboot once or twice a day...but no hard locks or battery pulls required most of the time. I think I only had that happen 3 or 4 times total). Thanks for the tip though. I really appreciate it.

I actually went ahead and picked up an iPhone 4S while I'm waiting for the ICS update to come out. I figured I could turn around and sell the Nexus for at least what I paid for it ($200, with 3 batteries...and I bought an Incipio Feather case) once the ICS update came out and I could decide which phone I liked better.

If I've been following ICS on the NS4G correctly...it has NOT gotten it's official release from Google...only the GSM NS has been released...correct?
Correct, only the GSM version.

That said, holy loving poo poo ICS is nice! I've probably spent more time loving with it than she has but we both really, really like it. It feels (and looks) like a brand new phone because it's so. loving. Fast. None of that weird Nexus S lag anywhere. There are only a couple things that bother her (and me) about it right now:

1. No notification power widget. There is a shortcut to Settings in the notification shade but she and I both prefer the long-press to settings to this implementation.

2. No custom kernels available for Voodoo and BLN. I forgot how absolutely awful the post 2.3.4 color profile is on the SAMOLED models (can't remember if the NS4G is SLCD or not) but holy crap it's bugs me every time I see it.

Apart from those two issues ICS is very livable. I'm pretty jelly that I won't have a Galaxy Nexus for a while.

Jobarr
Aug 12, 2000

LastInLine posted:

1. No notification power widget. There is a shortcut to Settings in the notification shade but she and I both prefer the long-press to settings to this implementation.

I'm using this for the moment:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.jim2

LastInLine posted:

2. No custom kernels available for Voodoo and BLN. I forgot how absolutely awful the post 2.3.4 color profile is on the SAMOLED models (can't remember if the NS4G is SLCD or not) but holy crap it's bugs me every time I see it.

I haven't tried it yet, but I think Matr1x has one out now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jobarr posted:

She's using that now, but I didn't know it could do the persistent notification thing, I'll let her know!

Jobarr posted:

I haven't tried it yet, but I think Matr1x has one out now.
Thanks! Didn't see that it had BLN working but apparently it does. She was complaining about losing battery life without undervolting so that solves that too.

Thank you very much!

Jobarr
Aug 12, 2000
You're welcome!

LastInLine posted:

She's using that now, but I didn't know it could do the persistent notification thing, I'll let her know!

Yeah, it's less than obvious that it can do that. The flash light function isn't working yet, but I can deal with that for now.

I haven't tried any third-party kernels yet. I'm waiting for SEUV... :D

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

LastInLine posted:

Correct, only the GSM version.

That said, holy loving poo poo ICS is nice! I've probably spent more time loving with it than she has but we both really, really like it. It feels (and looks) like a brand new phone because it's so. loving. Fast. None of that weird Nexus S lag anywhere. There are only a couple things that bother her (and me) about it right now:

All good things to hear.

I was TRYING to make myself wait until AFTER the ICS release to decide on using my upgrade on a phone...but there are like 0 reports on the Galaxy Nexus coming to Sprint before they begin their LET rollout in 3Q 2012...so I figured gently caress it. I'll use one upgrade now wait out the ICS release...and I can either sell the Nexus S for $200-ish or the iPhone for $400-ish when I make up my mind. Then, I have another line due for an upgrade in October, so I can always switch back to Android if I want to then.

LastInLine posted:

Yeah, I saw that in the demos. The shortcut to settings is a step in the right direction..but the CM Notification Power Widget it still superior.

LastInLine posted:

Apart from those two issues ICS is very livable. I'm pretty jelly that I won't have a Galaxy Nexus for a while.

I don't know that I ever really experienced the color profile issue. I bought it and then rooted it within a few days. I don't remember what software version it was running before I switched to CM7. I've heard how terrible it is though. (The NS4G is a SAMOLED screen)

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Jobarr posted:

I discovered this function last night. I've been using Widgetsoid forever but had no idea you could set a persistent notification until I saw it in a thread on XDA. The only thing that bothers is is that I have another app or two with persistent notifications so sometimes Widgetsoid isn't at the top of the list. I wish it would be so it would look like the toggles in CM7. Oh well, it'll have to do until CM9 is released.

Verno5x
Aug 23, 2003

CRAFT OR DIE
I have a Thunderbolt with a Team BAMF rom installed and I've been having some odd issues. A lot of text messages are being dropped so I never actually receive them, which isn't ideal obviously. I've tried a lot of different radios and nothing I seem to do helps. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a Team BAMF issue and if so is there a recommended rom to use on the Thunderbolt instead?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Can someone clarify where the best place to go to get the deoxed stock ICS ROM would be? Is it something I can load with SRM or do I need to flash it manually?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Can someone clarify where the best place to go to get the deoxed stock ICS ROM would be? Is it something I can load with SRM or do I need to flash it manually?

For which device? I have this on my Verizon Galaxy nexus and it works great. If you already have CWM installed just flash.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1394639

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

The ICS build for the Vibrant has GPS now. Lot faster then I thought it would.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Ah damit. I haven't rooted my Samsung Galaxy S 2 due to college and finals taking up all my time. Now that I CAN do it, At&T is releasing an update for the phone. I don't know how badly this could hurt me, or how I could stop the phone from updating. Some advice would be appreciated.

Otherwise I'll just update and then try to root my phone afterwards.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Sprite141 posted:

Ah damit. I haven't rooted my Samsung Galaxy S 2 due to college and finals taking up all my time. Now that I CAN do it, At&T is releasing an update for the phone. I don't know how badly this could hurt me, or how I could stop the phone from updating. Some advice would be appreciated.

Otherwise I'll just update and then try to root my phone afterwards.

The GS2's bootloader isn't locked so rooting the SGS2 is pretty straight forward and hassle free, takes 5 minutes. I would go with that just to be safe, CM9 is just around the corner for the phone and while I doubt the new At&t patch will lock you out it unlikely offers anything but bug fixes.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 19, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

letsgoflyers81 posted:

For which device? I have this on my Verizon Galaxy nexus and it works great. If you already have CWM installed just flash.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1394639

Yeah, it's the Verizon Nexus. What does the extra stuff (busybox, etc) mean?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah, it's the Verizon Nexus. What does the extra stuff (busybox, etc) mean?

You need busybox for various unix/linux commands to work on your phone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BusyBox

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

I don't know why I didn't root my phone earlier. ICS on the Nexus S is outstanding.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Must Love Dogs posted:

I don't know why I didn't root my phone earlier. ICS on the Nexus S is outstanding.
I'm glad you got it on there but I'm not optimistic it's going to solve your battery issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Why do you need a deodexed rom? People were saying they needed it to install google wallet, but I installed it just fine with my stock ROM.

Is there a way I can get a button that goes straight to the battery graph?