Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I'll give Fresh a shot. I haven't kept up with the ROM scene for a while but it seems like us 3D people got mostly hosed as far as community development goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Krittick posted:

It was advanced tech support for the second and third reps, or so they said. For all I know they stuck me back in the normal phone queue.

My experience with the local repair center the last time I had an issue with my phone doesn't make that a viable option, as I'm sure they'll somehow make it worse.

I'm going to try adding a temporary forwarding phone and removing my Sprint phone from Google Voice entirely, if I can borrow my friend's phone for a few minutes tonight. Hopefully adding it back will fix it, otherwise I'll be calling and asking to speak to advanced tech support right off the bat once more before I try retentions.

I'm apparently not the only one with the issue after doing some searching, but of course the last response from Google in the issue thread on their forums is from May...

Edit: Added a secondary number, deleted the main one, wiped Google Voice app data. Then I tried enabling it from the Google Voice website again, and it said it was successful this time. Logged into the app again and the integration went through. Sending texts from the standard SMS apps now uses my Google Voice number as god intended. Such a loving headache, but glad I didn't have to call retentions.

Final follow up to this: Sprint just now decided to resend every failed text message from the beginning of this issue. All at once, to 10+ people. Out of nowhere. With my phone off. :suicide:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lovie Unsmith posted:

I'll be going to St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands, two weeks from today and I'll be there four days. I guessing they have coverage there since my friend got an Epic 4G Touch at a Sprint store there. So I guess my question is do I have to do anything in terms of roaming, or is everything the same there as it is here in the US?

It shows up on their coverage map. When I was in Hawaii I had to do a PRI update though. If you have any trouble try that.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Fresh has been great for me on the EVO 4G and EVO 3D.

I also like it a lot, Cynanogen is extremely buggy on my 4G. (broken GPS, mostly broken bluetooth, poor battery life)

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Does Fresh get rid of the useless loving "location" icon at the top? I remember somebody asking about that before but I don't remember the answer. Also, does Fresh kill CarrierIQ, or is that embedded into Sense itself?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I'm pretty sure Sprint is pushing out updates to all their Android phones to get rid of CIQ, so all [good] ROMs should have or soon have CIQ removed completely.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

sanchez posted:

I also like it a lot, Cynanogen is extremely buggy on my 4G. (broken GPS, mostly broken bluetooth, poor battery life)

I switched to CM7 when I had my 4G once it got WiMAX support. It worked well enough for me that it was my daily driver until I got the 3D. That said, Fresh makes great Sense ROMs.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
Well, after fiddling with my Pre, then talking to customer support for about 2 hours (who tried the same things I have) their solution for fixing my no internet connection was to factory reset my phone.

I asked if I would lose my pics/videos/etc and he assured me I would be fine. Well, since the device stopped being able to connect to the data side of the network, it never authenticated. I was advised to go to a specific Sprint store that would have another palm pre, or at least a loaner phone while it was ordered.

I left work and hightailed it there to get this resolved as I now had NO phone (I was at least able to make calls and text before). The slack-jawed kids at the store refused to listen to me, and said they didn't want my ticket number because they could totally fix it. After 2 hours of trying the same thing over and over (factory reset, reboot, call tech support, factory reset, reboot). I left the store with my deader than dead phone.

I reactivated my old palm pre which I replaced because of hardware issues. I'm slowly remembering why I replaced this one. I've been on Sprint since 2000 and have had my plan changed on me so many times (from $30 SERO to now paying like $70 a month for less than that plan. I'm ready to make the move to Android.

I really like the idea of the Galaxy Nexus, but no one knows if it will come to Sprint. I looked at the EVO 3d at the store and hated the 3d photos. Is it worth getting a Galaxy S II, or should I say gently caress it and move on to another network? Will my being on Sprint for over ten years mean anything (I haven't had much luck with that in the past), so am I at a good point to finally just leave? I have a $150 upgrade at Sprint though..

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

raej posted:

I really like the idea of the Galaxy Nexus, but no one knows if it will come to Sprint.
It's almost certain that a comparable device will come to Sprint eventually to replace the existing Nexus S 4G. My gut feeling is that said device is going to be one of the first LTE phones that Sprint offers, so we're looking at summer 2012 at the earliest. Although that's a good ways away, I also hesitate recommending folks to pick up an existing WiMAX device (NS4G, Evo 3D, E4GT, etc.) since they'll soon be obsolesced, particularly if you're not presently in a Sprint 4G market where WiMAX service is never going to come to you, but LTE service eventually will.

If you're happy with Sprint service in all other aspects and want to maintain your 10+ year customer standing, I'd pick up a used Evo, Epic, or NS4G and go with that until their LTE network lights up. Otherwise bolting now for Verizon to grab a Galaxy Nexus and 4 GB/mo LTE is probably the best time to do that.

One thing to keep in mind is that Verizon's 450 minute, 4 GB LTE service runs $70/mo for an individual line if you're willing to use Google Voice for free SMS. It's not quite as convenient as Sprint's included unlimited SMS, but it sure beats paying an extra $20/mo to Verizon.

raej posted:

I looked at the EVO 3d at the store and hated the 3d photos.
There's a switch to turn off the 3D feature and you can pretend it simply doesn't exist. It's still a great phone even discounting the 3D feature. The E4GT is also a darn good phone too. But the Galaxy Nexus easily trumps both.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'd pick up a used Evo, Epic, or NS4G and go with that until their LTE network lights up.

I totally wouldn't blame you for switching for the Galaxy Nexus at this point, but if you don't decide to switch, I'll likely be selling an Evo 4g in very good condition on Wednesday. PM me if you're interested.

EDIT: Obviously, this is directed to raej, not EB.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 18, 2011

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Does anybody else have really lovely signal with their E4GT? I've used both the EK02 and EL13 modems and I get pretty terrible signal with both of them. I was hoping this phone would get a better signal than my EVO 4G but it's a bit worse.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Krittick posted:

Final follow up to this: Sprint just now decided to resend every failed text message from the beginning of this issue. All at once, to 10+ people. Out of nowhere. With my phone off. :suicide:

...just because I'm curious...were all of these texts supposed to go to all these people...or did it send messages to people that weren't supposed to get it?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I've been using Senseless on my 3D lately, done by the dude who does Clean, and I think it's going better than Clean is - that one was getting too crazy. Switching to Fresh when I get my replacement phone, though.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I also hesitate recommending folks to pick up an existing WiMAX device (NS4G, Evo 3D, E4GT, etc.) since they'll soon be obsolesced

What are you basing this on? WiMAX will be around for a long time, just take iDEN as an example. It's just now being phased out, six years after Sprint acquired Nextel. By the time you need to worry about losing your 4G connection, you'd have replaced your phone at least once, possibly twice.
This probably isn't comforting, but my SGSII4GET is the third device I've owned with 4G and I've never consistently used it. At best, I can get 1.5mb/sec. Usually, it's the same as turning off my data connection, especially if I'm in motion. Most of my day is spent in places with wifi or on the road, so I don't get too upset about it.
Just get a phone you like. It's a toy, not real estate.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Kynetx posted:

What are you basing this on? WiMAX will be around for a long time, just take iDEN as an example. It's just now being phased out, six years after Sprint acquired Nextel. By the time you need to worry about losing your 4G connection, you'd have replaced your phone at least once, possibly twice.
This probably isn't comforting, but my SGSII4GET is the third device I've owned with 4G and I've never consistently used it. At best, I can get 1.5mb/sec. Usually, it's the same as turning off my data connection, especially if I'm in motion. Most of my day is spent in places with wifi or on the road, so I don't get too upset about it.
Just get a phone you like. It's a toy, not real estate.

Rules with sprint 4G:
1. Wimax is a plus if you need a phone today, but certainly is not great long term, especially if you don't live in a current Wimax area.

2. That doesn't mean a current 4G phone is a terrible buy, 3g is supported and will possibly get better down the road. And if you live in a Wimax area, sprint has to support Wimax for at least 2 years.

3. That being said, bear any phone buying considerations in mind with the knowledge that LTE has an initial launch in 3rd quarter of 2012. Whether that includes phones at that time, unknown, but I would hope phones launch by the end of 2012 at least. Airfares traditionally do launch first.

Honestly, my opinions are if you need a phone (switching to sprint). Just get one now: 3D, epic touch or iphone. If you don't NEED a new phone, buy a nexus s used.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Kynetx posted:

What are you basing this on? WiMAX will be around for a long time, just take iDEN as an example. It's just now being phased out, six years after Sprint acquired Nextel.
I'm saying WiMAX phones will be obsolesced by LTE devices in approximately a year or so. The existing WiMAX network isn't going anywhere right away, that's true, but unless Sprint fucks up network vision and their LTE rollout, the latter should have superior coverage in terms of number of markets, building penetration, etc., around that time.

If you're happy with existing WiMAX coverage, then it doesn't matter much. However, for folks stuck in a 3G-only market, particularly a saturated one, they might not want to be stuck on a WiMAX device without upgrade eligibility for a year after the LTE network lights up.

iDen isn't the best comparative example either. That's a legacy voice network with a specific feature (PTT) that makes it difficult to transition exisitng users away. WiMAX is a data-only network, and all WiMAX-capable phones also do EVDO. Clear could turn the WiMAX network off tomorrow and everyone's phones would still function. They're not going to do that, but at the same time, I wouldn't expect it to stick around much longer than two years past the EOL date of the last WiMAX device Sprint sells.

In my opinion we're entering an era where Sprint's most current Android offerings are not worth spending a subsidy on--at least, not to be locked into it for two years. Neither the Evo 3D nor E4GT have ICS upgrades available, and based on how long it took GB to roll out, we could be well into 2012 before we see them. The NS4G is certainly in a good position software-wise, but it's 2010 era hardware. However, this much is only my opinion and others may disagree.

Duckman2008 posted:

Honestly, my opinions are if you need a phone (switching to sprint). Just get one now: 3D, epic touch or iphone. If you don't NEED a new phone, buy a nexus s used.
Pretty much this.

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm saying WiMAX phones will be obsolesced by LTE devices in approximately a year or so. The existing WiMAX network isn't going anywhere right away, that's true, but unless Sprint fucks up network vision and their LTE rollout, the latter should have superior coverage in terms of number of markets, building penetration, etc., around that time.

There any info on why LTE building penetration would be better? I would assume that Sprint would be using basically the same spectrum for LTE as they currently do for WiMAX.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

CRUISECONTROL posted:

There any info on why LTE building penetration would be better? I would assume that Sprint would be using basically the same spectrum for LTE as they currently do for WiMAX.

Because Sprint is re-purposing the 800mhz band that the iDEN network currently runs on for their LTE rollout. 800mhz will provide better building penetration.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

brc64 posted:

Does Fresh get rid of the useless loving "location" icon at the top? I remember somebody asking about that before but I don't remember the answer. Also, does Fresh kill CarrierIQ, or is that embedded into Sense itself?

Don't know about the first part but Flipz has always removed CarrierIQ from his ROMs.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

CRUISECONTROL posted:

There any info on why LTE building penetration would be better?
They're deploying LTE in 1900 in mid-2012 and LTE Advanced in 800 (ESMR) in early 2013.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Skeezy posted:

Don't know about the first part but Flipz has always removed CarrierIQ from his ROMs.

Just got an email with the donor build of 4.1.0, looks like he was able to clean up CIQ even further in the latest version which is certainly welcome. Should be released to the public in the next day or two.

Here's the 4.1.0 CIQ changelog:

quote:

Removed Carrier IQ intent actions
This is mostly just a cosmetic thing to clean up all the errors in logcat of actions trying to write to ciq
It however will and should have a positive impact on both battery, and the speed of the phone itself
Actions like smsnotify (where any incoming texts are sent over to ciq) happen before you even get the real sms notification on your phone, so removing actions like this should speed things up
This also allows for a lower score (by 100 points in the case of voodoo) on CIQ detection apps. The only traces left now are drivers embedded in the kernel itself which I can’t remove. I always have and always will use the stock kernel so they have to stay there. But this is just like the fact that your computer has thousands of drivers installed that it never uses. They do nothing and hurt nothing.
Keep in mind that CIQ is still 100% removed and gone. Your phone logs nothing and reports nothing. I’m simply cleaning up all of the iqagent.action’s.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Point taken about iDEN, but I still want a source about how you think LTE is going to be ubiquitous enough to bet a subsidy within a year, or why you think a WiMAX phone is a bad investment. I don't think you understand the complexity involved, and this is coming from someone that works in a related or lateral industry.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Kynetx posted:

but I still want a source about how you think LTE is going to be ubiquitous enough to bet a subsidy within a year, or why you think a WiMAX phone is a bad investment.
It doesn't have to be ubiquitous, just equal or better to Sprint's existing WiMAX service.

To my knowledge, there has not been a significant deployment of WiMAX in a new market since December of last year. So WiMAX service is effectively capped to 71 markets.

In comparison, Verizon has launched LTE in 160 markets in the past year, and AT&T has rolled out to 15 markets since launching in September. Admittedly, Verizon was able to pursue a very aggressive rollout, and AT&T's progress is likely more representative of where Sprint could be in a year. Even so, for folks who don't yet have WiMAX service, spending a two-year upgrade on a WiMAX device means they won't be able to get 4G service for two years in their home market, whereas LTE is at least a possibility in that time frame.

It's not just WiMAX vs LTE. I also don't see the Evo 3D and E4GT to be overly-compelling purchases for the next 20 months relative to the Galaxy Nexus and other ICS-shipped devices that will come out in 2012. Gingerbread, which came out this time last year, didn't hit the Evo 4G until June and the Epic until this past November. It's hard to extrapolate an ICS upgrade time table for the 3D and E4GT, but given that ICS is the biggest update to Android to date, it doesn't look good there.

Given the availability of cheap (~$100ish), first-gen WiMAX devices like the Evo & Epic, that run GB well, and might see at least unofficial ICS/CM9 updates, I'd hedge my bets on picking up one of those until either (or both) a Galaxy Nexus equivalent or a desirable LTE device hits Sprint. But that's just my opinion.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 19, 2011

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Ozmodiar posted:

...just because I'm curious...were all of these texts supposed to go to all these people...or did it send messages to people that weren't supposed to get it?

They all went to the correct people, but from my Sprint number, not my Google Voice number. No one knows or uses my Sprint number. You can still imagine the confusion.

Interestingly, two people also got every successful text I sent them over the past 2 weeks, both of them the only ones that also use Sprint. One of them had exchanged over 500 texts with me in those two weeks. Yeah.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Yeah, I'm extremely happy with my launch day Evo 3D and glad I burned a subsidy on it, but I'm already five-six months deep into the contract now.

I'd say anyone looking to use a subsidy right now would be foolish not to get an iPhone 4S. Regardless of what happens with Sprint, at least you can rest assured that it will hold its value and you can flip it a year down the road if necessary.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)

Smeed posted:

I'll give Fresh a shot. I haven't kept up with the ROM scene for a while but it seems like us 3D people got mostly hosed as far as community development goes.

I just switched from Fresh to Warm and I'm getting a lot better battery life with Warm. There's some things I don't like about the theme but I can deal with it.

TheBlackMallard fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 19, 2011

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
Just wanted to thank Duckman2008 for getting stuff set up and sorted for me and my wife last night.

Now for the phones to get here on Wednesday...

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
You guys are talking about a phone as though it's an investment. It's not. Get the phone you want, use it, get the next phone that you want. I would never get an iphone just because it's worth an extra $50 in two years.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

falz posted:

You guys are talking about a phone as though it's an investment. It's not. Get the phone you want, use it, get the next phone that you want. I would never get an iphone just because it's worth an extra $50 in two years.

I agree to a point, in the end it just depends on what you are looking for and what you want.

If you want the latest and greatest all the time, and a lot of people here do, deliberating when to use a contract upgrade takes a lot of consideration.

There was apostles on the verge about this, but there is no definite answers to the recommend me a phone question.

Fyi the Nexus is end of life on sprint, which saddens me.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Fyi the Nexus is end of life on sprint, which saddens me.
This is news to me. Is there an EOL date? Or better yet, an updated list?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

This is news to me. Is there an EOL date? Or better yet, an updated list?

Already happened, my store cannot order new ones in. Once inventory is gone its gone. Same as the Evo, although that was EOLed last month (there are just a lot of them made).

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I'm fairly ignorant of cell phones so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is there a site that tells me the quality of a carrier's signal in a particular area? I'm thinking of switching from Verizon to Sprint but wanted to ensure a quality signal in my two primary areas, Manhattan and Eastern NC.

Per the OP Sprint roams on Verizon's network so I should be fine, I think. Then again I've heard horror stories regarding Sprint's connection in Manhattan. v :) v

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Abel Wingnut posted:

I'm fairly ignorant of cell phones so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is there a site that tells me the quality of a carrier's signal in a particular area? I'm thinking of switching from Verizon to Sprint but wanted to ensure a quality signal in my two primary areas, Manhattan and Eastern NC.

Per the OP Sprint roams on Verizon's network so I should be fine, I think. Then again I've heard horror stories regarding Sprint's connection in Manhattan. v :) v

Sprint.com/coverage

Network.sprint.com

And there are probably review sites as well.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Abel Wingnut posted:

You can roam on Verizon, but if you do it too much Sprint will get rid of you. You want to make sure your house/work have decent coverage as you don't want to be using roaming for the majority of your use.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rumor for now, but great news for sprint users if true.

http://phandroid.com/2011/12/20/spr...ource=pulsenews

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

There is no sensible reason to bar cross-carrier activations one the same radio technology. Still, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
A few years ago, Verizon said they would activate any compatible phone. That claim was nothing but B.S.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CharlesM posted:

A few years ago, Verizon said they would activate any compatible phone. That claim was nothing but B.S.

Seconding this. The carriers are like the most petulant toddlers when it comes to activating each others' devices. The money is made on the contract, not in the purchase of a phone. If it wasn't they wouldn't be offering the subsidies they do for new/renewals. The only reason they act this way is that they can't stand the thought of the other guys getting so much as a single penny they could otherwise hit you for.

Between the carriers and their shitware/"HE'S BREATHING MY AIRRRR" mentality, and the manufacturers' bullshit modifications and "we're really working on that update, seriously *psst hey guys I think they bought it*" the CDMA market is just a big ol' poo poo sandwich you have no choice but to eat unless you really enjoy being hosed by AT&T's cactusdick. T-Mobile is good if you can find coverage, though.

e:

big mean giraffe posted:

I would so buy a Galaxy Nexus at full price if I knew 100% that Sprint would activate it. I thought the FCC was trying to make them activate others' devices?

You and a shitload of other people.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 21, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I would so buy a Galaxy Nexus at full price if I knew 100% that Sprint would activate it. I thought the FCC was trying to make them activate others' devices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klint
Dec 19, 2006
Klint Eastwood
So when I ported my whole family over on October 1st, I was told by the sales agent over the phone that every line I moved over would be eligible for a port credit since I placed the order on October 1st. However, I was just recently told by a rep at the port credit center that every single one of my lines isn't eligible for the port credit because the lines themselves got ported on October 7th. This was because I didn't want an interrupt in service while the phones were being shipped and the sales agent said it was fine.

Is there anything I can do to try and get my port credits? I ported four lines and got smartphones for every line so I'm looking at $500 of credit that I thought I was going to get...